Our latest collection of Helen Keller quotes that will inspire you to never give up, regardless of circumstance.
Helen Keller was born deaf and blind but powered her way through life to become an impactful speaker, author, and activist. Recognized by President Johnson for her work with the Women’s Suffrage Movement, Keller was an icon for personal power for both women and men all over the world.
Her ability to overcome any and all obstacles in her path makes her a true force in our history. She not only represents strength, but she also represents hope. Before we get into the best Helen Keller quotes, let’s take a look at some life lessons we can learn from her.
Life lessons from Helen Keller
1. Go after your dreams.
Helen Keller did not believe in living life timidly or in being “realistic.” Keller believed that if you truly want to be happy and live an exciting life you would need to go after your dreams, which by default could not be realistic – otherwise, it wouldn’t be a dream.
She believed that anything great that has ever been done, had to be different and defy odds…which makes it unrealistic and uncommon. She saw being “realistic” as a way of conforming to what society wants you to be.
2. You must have a vision for yourself
Keller once said, “It’s a terrible thing to see, and have no vision!” Keller believed that we need to have a direction and a grand vision for ourselves.
It’s important to envision the future and imagine who we want to be, where we want to go and what kind of life we want to lead. If we can see it in our mind, we can hold it in our hand.
3. Nothing is impossible.
Helen Keller believed that people can accomplish anything if they stick to it long enough. She encouraged ALL people to stay committed to their dream until it works out.
And, even if it doesn’t work out, the process of sticking with it will have taught us so much that we are now able to go and accomplish something else.
4. Experience is the best teacher.
Helen Keller thought that “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” Reading, listening, and watching is great, but nothing can substitute the power of experience. Life teaches lessons and life teaches with experience.
Great experiences bring powerful understandings. And, all experiences become great, when you look for the meaning in them.
5. Focus on the positive.
Helen Keller knew that everyone was fighting their own battle. Everyone’s battle is different, but everyone has one. Regardless of your situation, it’s important that we focus on the positives because that gives us the energy to keep fighting.
Yes, the world is full of negativity, pain, and tragedy. But, it’s also full of people who are fighting against it!
6. Surround yourself with winners.
Helen Keller once said, “While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was done.” It’s simple, winners hang out with winners.
Don’t waste your time hanging around people who gossip, criticize, complain and condemn. Of course, we all have our moments when we are leading the charge of negativity, but that’s all the more reason to surround ourselves with winners who can help pick us up when we’re down.
7. Your future is in your hands.
Keller once said that “What I am looking for is not “out there,” it is in me.” You have been given everything you need to win.
You have the same fundamental tools as the legends in history. Now, what you do with them is up to. Greatness and success are yours for the taking!
Please enjoy some of our favorite Helen Keller quotes!
Helen Keller quotes that will elevate your mindset
1. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
2. “The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight but no vision.” – Helen Keller
3. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
4. “What I’m looking for is not out there, it is in me.” – Helen Keller
5. “Life is short and unpredictable. Eat the dessert first.” – Helen Keller
6. “Happiness is the final and perfect fruit of obedience to the laws of life.” – Helen Keller
7. “A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.” – Helen Keller
8. “We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others.” – Helen Keller
9. “Knowledge is love and light and vision.” – Helen Keller
10. “Of all the senses, sight must be the most delightful.” – Helen Keller
Helen Keller quotes about dreams and goals
11. “I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.” – Helen Keller
12. “People don’t like to think, if one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.” – Helen Keller
13. “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.” – Helen Keller
14. “You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.” – Helen Keller
15. “Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there’s a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.” – Helen Keller
Helen Keller quotes about love and happiness
16. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
17. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens;, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
18. “I take happiness very seriously. It is a creed, a philosophy and an objective.” – Helen Keller
19. “It all comes to this: the simplest way to be happy is to do good.” – Helen Keller
20. “Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” – Helen Keller
Helen Keller quotes about vision
21. “The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.” – Helen Keller
22. “As selfishness and complaint pervert the mind, so love with its joy clears and sharpens the vision.” – Helen Keller
23. “When you lose your vision, you lose contact with things. When you lose your hearing, you lose contact with people.” – Helen Keller
More Helen Keller quotes to inspire you
24. “The highest result of education is tolerance.” – Helen Keller
25. “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope.” – Helen Keller
26. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
27. “Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” – Helen Keller
28. “I thank God for my handicaps for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.” – Helen Keller
29. “Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.” ― Helen Keller
30. “Meanwhile the desire to express myself grew. The few signs I used became less and less adequate, and my failures to make myself understood were invariably followed by outbursts of passion.” – Helen Keller
31. “All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
32. “The bulk of the world’s knowledge is an imaginary construction.” – Helen Keller
33. “I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace.” – Helen Keller
34. “Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.” – Helen Keller
35. “When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” – Helen Keller
36. “You cannot touch love but you can feel the sweetness it pours into everything.” – Helen Keller
37. “One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.” – Helen Keller
Helen Keller quotes to broaden your thoughts
38. “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.” – Helen Keller
39. “No one has the right to consume happiness without producing it.” – Helen Keller
40. “Until the great mass of the people shall be filled with the sense of responsibility for each other’s welfare, social justice can never be attained.” – Helen Keller
41. “Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
42. “What a blind person needs is not a teacher but another self.” – Helen Keller
43. “Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world.” – Helen Keller
44. “Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.” ― Helen Keller
45. “Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light.” – Helen Keller
46. “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” ― Helen Keller
47. “We can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough.” ― Helen Keller
48. “There is no better way to thank God for your sight than by giving a helping hand to someone in the dark.” ― Helen Keller
49. “Unless we can help the world where we are, we could not help it if we were somewhere else.” ― Helen Keller
50. “Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on a bicycle.” ― Helen Keller
Helen Keller quotes to inspire and teach
51. “When all you can feel are the shadows, turn your face towards the sun.” – Helen Keller
52. “The living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free!” –
53. “He who is content with what has been done is an obstacle in the path of progress.” – Helen Keller
54. “Each day comes to me with both hands full of possibilities.” – Helen Keller
55. “People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.” – Helen Keller
56. “Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow.” – Helen Keller
57. “No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.” – Helen Keller
58. “What really counts in life is the quiet meeting of every difficulty with the determination to get out of it all the good there is.” – Helen Keller
59. “If I write what my soul thinks it will be visible, and the words will be its body.” – Helen Keller
60. “The heart of a friend gives out sufficient light for us in the dark to rise by.” – Helen Keller
Profound Helen Keller quotes
61. “No one has a right to consume happiness without producing it.” – Helen Keller
62. “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”
― Helen Keller
63. “All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.” – Helen Keller
64. “Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow.”― Helen Keller
65. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
66. “While they were saying it couldn’t be done, it was done.”― Helen Keller
67. “We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.” – Helen Keller
68. “The most beautiful world is always entered through imagination.”― Helen Keller
69. “What I am looking for is not out there, it is in me.” – Helen Keller
70. “As the eagle was killed by the arrow winged with his own feather, so the hand of the world is wounded by its own skill.”― Helen Keller
More Helen Keller quotes and sayings
71. “Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all — the apathy of human beings.” – Helen Keller
72. “A bend in the road is not the end of the road…Unless you fail to make the turn.” – Helen Keller
73. “Happiness does not come from without, it comes from within.” – Helen Keller
74. “Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.” – Helen Keller
75. “Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” – Helen Keller
76. “I believe that God is in me as the sun is in the colour and fragrance of a flower – the Light in my darkness, the Voice in my silence.” – Helen Keller
77. “So long as you can sweeten another’s pain, life is not in vain.” – Helen Keller
78. “Four things to learn in life: To think clearly without hurry or confusion; To love everybody sincerely; To act in everything with the highest motives; To trust God unhesitatingly.” – Helen Keller
79. “The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.” – Hellen Keller
80. “So much has been given to me I have not time to ponder over that which has been denied.” – Helen Keller
What other Helen Keller quotes would you add to the list?
Despite being blind and deaf, Helen Keller was able to overcome her handicaps to become one of the foremost humanitarians, authors, and speakers of the 20th century. Even today, she still inspires people across the globe.
She represents not only personal power but also hope and courage. Hopefully, these Helen Keller quotes have inspired you to live your life to the best of your ability and to never give up.
Which of these Helen Keller quotes was your favorite? Do you have any other Helen Keller quotes to share with us? Tell us in the comment section below.
June 29, 2022 5:00 AM EST