Take a few moments and enjoy these philosophical Aldous Huxley Quotes!
Aldous Huxley was born in 1894 in England and eventually became known as one of the prominent intellectuals of his time.
He was a philosopher and writer who wrote around 50 books, including non-fiction, novels, essays, narratives, and poems.
Huxley’s first novel was completed when he was 17 years old.
However, he was in his 20s when he started to take his writing seriously.
His first novel was published in 1921. In 1937, he relocated to southern California, where he resided for the remainder of his life.
Some of his notable writings include Brave New World, Island, Point Counter Point, The Doors of Perception, The Perennial Philosophy, and The Devils of London.
Do you recognize any of the Aldous Huxley Quotes below?
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Aldous Huxley Quotes That Will Make You Think
It never hurts us to take time to think deeper about our lives and the things in it. Read the quotes below for some deeper thinking by Aldous Huxley.
1. “The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of the child into old age, which means never losing your enthusiasm.” – Aldous Huxley
You will also enjoy our article on Maimonides quotes.
2. “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” – Aldous Huxley
3. “Maybe this world is another plant’s hell.” – Aldous Huxley
4. “That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.” – Aldous Huxley
5. “I want to know what passion is. I want to feel something strongly.” – Aldous Huxley
6. “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” – Aldous Huxley
7. “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” – Aldous Huxley
8. “A love of nature keeps no factories busy.” – Aldous Huxley
9. “I want to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.” – Aldous Huxley
10. “There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.” – Aldous Huxley
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Emil Cioran quotes from the pessimistic philosopher.
Aldous Huxley Quotes To Make You Question Why You Believe What You Believe
Just because you believe something doesn’t mean you are wrong, but it is important to dig into why you believe as you do. Aldous Huxley dives deeper into beliefs in these next quotes.
11. “One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.” – Aldous Huxley
12. “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley
13. “We are not our own any more than what we possess is our own. We did not make ourselves. We cannot be supreme over ourselves. We are not our own masters.” – Aldous Huxley
14. “Experience is not what happens to you; it’s what you do with what happens to you.” – Aldous Huxley
15. “If one’s different, one’s bound to be lonely.” – Aldous Huxley
16. “An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.” – Aldous Huxley
17. “There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that’s your own self.” – Aldous Huxley
18. “Every man’s memory is his private literature.” – Aldous Huxley
19. “Words can be like x-rays if you use them properly – they’ll go through anything. You read, and you’re pierced.” – Aldous Huxley
20. “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.” – Aldous Huxley
What Did You Think About The Aldous Huxley Quotes?
Aldous Huxley became interested in the use of psychedelic drugs in the 1950s.
He believed that the use was a “mystical experience” that held value.
In addition, he believed it helped him to be more creative and less self-centered.
After trying LSD, he became an advisor to psychedelic drug research at Harvard in the 1960s.
Huxley died in November 1963 after having laryngeal cancer.
His last request, written because he could not speak, was requesting LSD from his wife.
John F. Kennedy‘s death, which occurred several hours before his death, overshadowed his own death.
Throughout his life, he won several awards.
During and after his life he had multiple pieces adapted to film.
Do you agree or disagree with the Aldous Huxley quotes? Please post and comment below.
If you like philosophical quotes, you will also enjoy these Slavoj Zizek quotes from the modern-day philosopher.