If you’re ready to organize your life, these Marie Kondo quotes are for you.
Share the one you will take action on in the comments.
Marie Kondo doesn’t just enjoy tidying up, she’s passionate about it.
Her website shares that she even enjoyed cleaning as a child.
What are the benefits of reading these Marie Kondo Quotes?
Now, as an adult, she’s made her name recognized around the world for her strategy and tips on cleaning and organizing.
Marie Kondo is most known for her Netflix show, “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo” and she’s also written a popular book called, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.”
If you’re ready for a little organization and tidiness in your own life, you’ll enjoy these Marie Kondo quotes.
Keeping things tidy can:
- reduce your stress level
- improve your productivity
- improve your health
Don’t forget to check out these Anne Lamott quotes that give life a positive perspective.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Marie Kondo quotes and sayings about cleaning
1. “The objective of cleaning is not just to clean, but to feel happiness living within that environment.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Cleaning and organizing our spaces really makes a difference in our mental health, especially our bedrooms. My grandma always used to ask if we felt better after cleaning. I would tell her no, but I understand what she meant as I have gotten older.
2. “Tidying dramatically changes one’s life. This is true for everyone, 100 percent.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Tidy up your most important spaces. These include things like your work space, bedroom, and living areas. Being organized has a huge impact on our lives. It helps us prioritize our activities, reduces stress, and increases are productivity. Plus, it just feels nice to be in a clean environment!
3. “When your room is clean and uncluttered, you have no choice but to examine your inner state.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Removing the clutter and distraction leaves us less stressed. This more relaxed state allows for some meditation and self-reflection. If we can work on calming and organizing our minds, we can build our self-efficacy.
4. “The point in deciding specific places to keep things is to designate a spot for everything.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Ever had your morning go to hell because you find something you needed? Ended up late because you had to look for whatever it was? Felt stressed the rest of the day? Yeah… I have been there. Now, I hang my keys on the key hook by the door. This simple piece of advice can have major implications on your mood!
5. “The best way to store bags is in another bag.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: If you keep a plethora of plastic bags (or reusable bags), use one to store them all. Otherwise, recycle them! I limit myself to one bag full of bags. Otherwise I feel like I am swimming in them. This nifty piece of advice also works when storing pieces of luggage!
6. “I have only two rules: store all items of the same type in the same place and don’t scatter storage space.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Just follow Marie’s two rules! It really is just common sense to store like items in the same space. You might need to get creative with storage space, but you will be thankful when everything has a home that makes sense!
7. “When it comes to storage, vertical is best.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: People forget about the idea of vertical storage far too often. There are so many creative ideas out there, like hooks and peg boards. Vertical storage will work well throughout your whole house and garage! Check out these products to help you get started!
8. “Reducing the amount of stuff in our space also reduces the amount of dust, and we actually clean more often.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: If you aren’t using something or don’t need it, just get rid of it! Less dust is only one positive benefit of having less clutter around you house! Although, it is a pretty big one… after all, who likes to dust?
9. “The act of folding is far more than making clothes compact for storage. It is an act of caring, an expression of love, and appreciation for the way these clothes support your lifestyle. Therefore, when we fold, we should put our heart into it, thanking our clothes for protecting our bodies.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: What a romantic and deep way to think about folding clothes! However, Marie reminds us of some deeper life lessons as well. Everything can be something you choose to be grateful for. Put your heart into your task, and always do your best!
10. “Sort by category, not location.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Seems simple and logical enough. There are several ways you can categorize your stuff. By room, activity, or item size are a few ways to sort by category. Organizing is good for your self-esteem, so however you choose to categorize your stuff, just give it an honest effort!
11. “By neatly folding your clothes, you can solve almost every problem related to storage.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: It makes sense that neatly folded clothes would fit better in your drawer. Not only will folding your clothes give you more room, but being organized and neat has many other benefits: reduced stress, better sleep, and improved relationships!
12. “Keep all your clothes ready to be used year-round, regardless of the season.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: You can sort them in your drawers and closet by season, making finding what to wear easier. It is a pain in the neck to store clothes away, plus you will need a space for that. It will be much easier to store your clothes in an organized way in your room. Also, those summer pieces can help you put together some cute layered outfits!
Inspirational Marie Kondo quotes
13. “The true purpose of a present is to be received.” ― Marie Kondo
14. “To put your things in order means to put your past in order, too.” ― Marie Kondo
15. “The best way to find out what we really need is to get rid of what we don’t.” ― Marie Kondo
16. “We need to show consideration for others by helping them avoid the burden of owning more than they need or can enjoy.” ― Marie Kondo
17. “If you can say without a doubt, ‘I really like this!’ no matter what anyone else says, and if you like yourself for having it, then ignore what other people think.” ― Marie Kondo
18. “We should be choosing what we want to keep, not what we want to get rid of.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: This is aligned with another piece of great advice: focus on what you have to gain, not what you have to lose. Marie reminds us that anything we keep should spark joy within us. Make conscious choices about what you want to keep in your life, and whatever doesn’t bring you joy, set it free.
19. “People cannot change their habits without first changing their way of thinking.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Lao Tzu once said, “Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.” Before you can do anything about your habits, you must change your actions, words, and thoughts. It all starts with what you think!
20. “Human beings can only truly cherish a limited number of things at one time.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Humans have a large capacity for love. However, just like anything else if your focus is divided then something will suffer. When we aren’t talking about relationships, and specifically referring to things like work, hobbies, and duties, pick what you cherish carefully. Where you devote your attention, you will see growth.
21. “There are two reasons we can’t let go: an attachment to the past or a fear for the future.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: You know you have already survived the past. The future is something that you have no way of predicting. Depending on trends and knowledge, you can speculate, but the outcome is still uncertain. Many times we ask ourselves what would happen if we failed. However, we should ask, “What happens if I don’t fail?”
22. “Cherish the things you love. Cherish Yourself.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Consider how you treat your most prized possessions or those you love. Do you treat yourself with the same care? You are the most important thing in your life. Without caring for or cherishing yourself, you can not give the other people around you your best. Self-care is not selfish. It is necessary!
You might also like these cleaning quotes to make this task a little more enjoyable.
Marie Kondo quotes about life
23. “Letting go is even more important than adding.” ― Marie Kondo
24. “Your real life begins after putting your house in order.” ― Marie Kondo
25. “Life truly begins after you have put your house in order.” ― Marie Kondo
More quotes to consider
26. “Changing lifestyle habits acquired over many years is often extremely difficult.” ― Marie Kondo
27. “As for you, pour your time and passion into what brings you the most joy, your mission in life.” ― Marie Kondo
28. “The question of what you want to own is actually the question of how you want to live your life.” ― Marie Kondo
29. “Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest. By doing this, you can reset your life and embark on a new lifestyle.” ― Marie Kondo
30. “It is the same with people. Not every person you meet in life will become a close friend or lover. Some you will find hard to get along with or impossible to like. But these people, too, teach you the precious lesson of who you do like so that you will appreciate those.” ― Marie Kondo
31. “We can only transform our lives if we sincerely want to. Small changes transform our lives.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: Since transforming your life is incredibly challenging, you really do have to want it. “If they wanted to, they would” is the perfect quote. Think about the things you have really wanted? How much effort, attention, and time did you put into getting them? Start with small changes and then work your way up.
32. “The space in which we live should be for the person we are becoming now, not for the person we were in the past.” ― Marie Kondo
Everyday Application: It is hard to change your lifestyle habits because it involves changing your perceptions, thoughts, and words too. The past has taught you many things, and your brain sometimes uses that knowledge to create a shortcut when you are making a decision.
Marie Kondo quotes on how to choose things
33. “Keep only things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest.” ― Marie Kondo
34. “I will only purchase what fits me. If I want to lose weight, I do that first and then go shopping.” ― Marie Kondo
35. “Take each item in one’s hand and ask: ‘Does this spark joy?’ If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it.” ― Marie Kondo
36. “The best sequence is this: clothes first, then books, papers, komono (miscellany), and lastly, mementos.” ― Marie Kondo
37. “When you are choosing what to keep, ask your heart; when you are choosing where to store something, ask your house.” ― Marie Kondo
38. “All you need to do is take the time to sit down and examine each item you own, decide whether you want to keep or discard it, and then choose where to put what you keep.” ― Marie Kondo
39. “The process of deciding what to keep and what to discard will go much more smoothly if you begin with items that are easier to make decisions about. As you gradually work toward the harder categories, you will be honing your decision-making skills. Clothes are the easiest because their rarity value is extremely low.” ― Marie Kondo
40. “The best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: ‘Does this spark joy?’ If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge.” ― Marie Kondo
What did you learn from these Marie Kondo quotes?
One thing that many people seem to enjoy about Marie Kondo’s technique is that it’s not just about cleaning and organizing.
She incorporates mindfulness into the process, which is growing in popularity these days.
If you follow her teachings, you end up with a space full of only the things you enjoy, want to have and that makes you happy.
Not only do you eliminate clutter, but you also make it easier on yourself to maintain a clean and organized space going forward.
If this sounds like your need, check out her show, book, or website.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Marie Kondo quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.