Our latest collection of Rosa Parks quotes on Everyday Power blog.
February 4th 2019 marks the 106th anniversary of the birth of Rosa Parks, the African American civil rights icon who helped initiate the civil rights movement in the United States. Parks played a pivotal role in the Montgomery Bus Boycott that helped launch nationwide efforts to end segregation of public facilities.
An inspiring and brave civil rights leader, Parks received many accolades during her lifetime, including the Congressional Gold Medal, NAACP’s 1979 Spingarn Medal, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Rosa Parks was a giant, and she reminds us that one person can make a difference. Although most blacks in the 1950s thought that they could not change their conditions, Parks believed she could help change the way she and her race were treated. And most importantly, she had the courage to act on that conviction.
Parks died in October 2005 at the age of 92. She received a posthumous statue in the United States Capitol’s National Statuary Hall and was the first woman to lie in honor in the Capitol Rotunda upon her death.
In honor of “the first lady of civil rights” and “the mother of the freedom movement”, below is our collection of powerful and inspirational Rosa Parks quotes. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to also read these historic Ida B. Wells quotes on battling racism and sexism.
Rosa Parks quotes honoring civil rights that are still relevant
1. ”You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right.” – Rosa Parks
2. ”I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free … so other people would be also free.” – Rosa Parks
3. ”I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
4. ”Each person must live their life as a model for others.” – Rosa Parks
5. ”Racism is still with us. But it is up to us to prepare our children for what they have to meet, and hopefully, we shall overcome.” – Rosa Parks (see more quotes on racism)
6. ”I see the energy of young people as a real force for positive change.” – Rosa Parks
7. ”I was a person with dignity and self-respect, and I should not set my sights lower than anybody else just because I was black.” – Rosa Parks
8. ”What really matters is not whether we have problems, but we go through them. We must keep going on to make it through whatever we are facing.” – Rosa Parks
9. ”There is no future without education.” – Rosa Parks
10. ”I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
Rosa Parks quotes that will give you the courage to act on your convictions
11. ”One person can change the world.” – Rosa Parks
12. ”Without vision, people perish, and without courage and inspiration dreams die.” – Rosa Parks
13. ”To bring about change, you must not be afraid to take the first step. We will fail when we fail to try.” – Rosa Parks
14. “As far back as I can remember, I knew there was something wrong with our way of life when people could be mistreated because of the color of their skin.” – Rosa Parks
15. ”Stand for something or you will fall for anything. Today’s mighty oak is yesterday’s nut that held its ground.” – Rosa Parks
16. ”Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.” – Rosa Parks
17. ”There is just so much hurt, disappointment, and oppression one can take… The line between reason and madness grows thinner.” – Rosa Parks
18. ”The only tired I was, was tired of giving in.” – Rosa Parks
19. ”Differences of race, nationality or religion should not be used to deny any human being citizenship rights or privileges.” – Rosa Parks
20. ”I do the very best I can to look upon life with optimism and hope and looking forward to a better day, but I don’t think there is anything such as complete happiness. It pains me that there is still a lot of Klan activity and racism. I think when you say you’re happy, you have everything that you need and everything that you want, and nothing more to wish for. I haven’t reached that stage yet.” – Rosa Parks
Also check out these powerful civil rights quotes striding towards equality.
Rosa Parks quotes that will inspire to stand for your rights
21. ”As a child I learned from the Bible to trust in God and not be afraid. And I felt the Lord would give me the strength to endure whatever I had to face. God did away with all my fear.” – Rosa Parks
22. ”I believe there is only one race – the human race.” – Rosa Parks
23. ”There is work to do; that is why I cannot stop or sit still. As long as a child needs help, as long as people are not free, there will be work to do. As long as an elderly person is attacked or in need of support, there is work to do. As long as we have bigotry and crime, we have work to do.” – Rosa Parks
24. ”If you want to be respected for your actions, then your behavior must be above reproach. If our lives demonstrate that we are peaceful, humble, and trusted, this is recognized by others.” – Rosa Parks
25. ”It takes more than one person to bring about peace – it takes all of us.” – Rosa Parks
26. “Since I have always been a strong believer in God, I knew that He was with me, and only He could get me through that next step.” – Rosa Parks
27. ”I will no longer act on the outside in a way that contradicts the truth that I hold deeply inside. I will no longer act as if I were less than the whole person I know myself inwardly to be.” – Rosa Parks
28. ”I do the very best I can to look upon life with optimism and hope and looking forward to a better day.” – Rosa Parks
29. ”It is better to protest than to accept injustice.” – Rosa Parks
30. ”Black women are very capable of leading our organizations. I believe that firmly.” – Rosa Parks
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes from black women for a boost of inspiration.
Rosa Parks quotes on fighting for what you believe in
31. “Victory or defeat? It is the slogan of all-powerful militarism in every belligerent nation. And yet, what can victory bring to the proletariat?” – Rosa Parks
32. ”I want to be treated like a human being.” – Rosa Parks
33. ”Whatever my individual desires were to be free, I was not alone. There were many others who felt the same way.” – Rosa Parks
34. ”Was that I was a person with dignity and self-respect, and I should not set my sights lower than anybody else just because I was black.” – Rosa Parks
35. ”I was determined to achieve the total freedom that our history lessons…” – Rosa Parks
36. ”People need to free their minds of racial prejudice and believe in equality for all and freedom regardless of race. It would be a good thing if all people were treated equally and justly and not be discriminated against because of race or religion or anything that makes them different from others.” – Rosa Parks
37. ”God has always given me the strength to say what is right.” – Rosa Parks
38. ”Nothing in the Golden Rule says that others will treat us as we have treated them. It only says that we must treat others in a way that we would want to be treated.” – Rosa Parks
39. “My only concern was to get home after a hard day’s work.” – Rosa Parks
40. ”Our mistreatment was just not right, and I was tired of it.” – Rosa Parks
You might also like these John Lewis quotes that will inspire you to continue his work
More Rosa Parks quotes to inspire you
41. “Racial pride and self-dignity were emphasized in my family and community.” – Rosa Parks
42. “An opportunity was being given to me to do what I had asked of others.” – Rosa Parks
43. “If I stayed angry at other people, I would miss finding friends among those I was angry with.” – Rosa Parks
44. “There is a lack of interest in voting in the United States, and that troubles me. It is very necessary that people get registered, study the issues and be aware of the politics of our country. We will really be set back if people don’t take the time to learn about the candidates who are concerned about the well-being of all the citizens and vote.” – Rosa Parks
45. ”You cannot always control the powers-that-be. You just have to have faith and stand by the things you believe in.” – Rosa Parks
46. ”As long as there is unemployment, war, crime and all things that go to the infliction of man’s inhumanity to man, regardless – there is much to be done, and people need to work together.” – Rosa Parks
47. ”Every day before supper and before we went to services on Sundays. My grandmother would read the Bible to me, and my grandfather would pray. We even had devotions before going to pick cotton in the fields. Prayer and the Bible, became a part of my everyday thoughts and beliefs. I learned to put my trust in God and to seek Him as my strength.” – Rosa Parks
48. ”I am leaving this legacy to all of you…to bring peace, justice, equality, love and a fulfillment of what our lives should be.” – Rosa Parks
49. ”I had no idea that history was being made. I was just tired of giving up.” – Rosa Parks
50. ”If I can sit down for freedom, you can stand up for children.” – Rosa Parks
Which of these Rosa Parks quotes was your favorite?
Rosa Parks helped initiate the civil rights movement in the United States and will always be remembered for her brave stand.
Parks refusal to give up her seat on a bus to a white passenger set off the Montgomery, Alabama, bus boycott and influenced American history in a significant way .
Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to improve your life and those around you in a meaningful way. Which of these Rosa Parks quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.