Full of courage and optimism, these Rosa Parks quotes are sure to inspire you to stand up for what is right.
Share which quote by this inspiring Civil Rights activist moved you the most in the comments below.
February 4th, 2019 marks the 106th anniversary of the birth of Rosa Parks, the African American civil rights icon who helped initiate the civil rights movement in the United States.
Parks played a pivotal role in the Montgomery Bus Boycott that helped launch nationwide efforts to end segregation of public facilities.
An inspiring and brave civil rights leader, Parks received many accolades during her lifetime, including the Congressional Gold Medal, NAACP’s 1979 Spingarn Medal, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Rosa Parks was a giant, and she reminds us that one person can make a difference.
Although most blacks in the 1950s thought that they could not change their conditions, Parks believed she could help change the way she and her race were treated.
And most importantly, she had the courage to act on that conviction.
Parks died in October 2005 at the age of 92.
She received a posthumous statue in the United States Capitol’s National Statuary Hall and was the first woman to lie in honor in the Capitol Rotunda upon her death.
In honor of “the first lady of civil rights” and “the mother of the freedom movement”, below is our collection of powerful and inspirational Rosa Parks quotes.
Don’t forget to also read these historic Ida B. Wells quotes on battling racism and sexism.
You may also enjoy our collection of Frederick Douglass quotes.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Rosa Parks quotes honoring civil rights that are still relevant
1. ”You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right.” – Rosa Parks
You will also enjoy our article on airplane quotes.
2. ”I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free … so other people would be also free.” – Rosa Parks
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about voting.
3. ”I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
4. ”Each person must live their life as a model for others.” – Rosa Parks
5. ”Racism is still with us. But it is up to us to prepare our children for what they have to meet, and hopefully, we shall overcome.” – Rosa Parks (see more quotes on racism)
6. ”I see the energy of young people as a real force for positive change.” – Rosa Parks
7. ”I was a person with dignity and self-respect, and I should not set my sights lower than anybody else just because I was black.” – Rosa Parks
8. ”What really matters is not whether we have problems, but we go through them. We must keep going on to make it through whatever we are facing.” – Rosa Parks
9. ”There is no future without education.” – Rosa Parks
10. ”I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
Rosa Parks quotes that will give you the courage to act on your convictions
11. ”One person can change the world.” – Rosa Parks
12. ”Without vision, people perish, and without courage and inspiration dreams die.” – Rosa Parks
13. ”To bring about change, you must not be afraid to take the first step. We will fail when we fail to try.” – Rosa Parks
14. “As far back as I can remember, I knew there was something wrong with our way of life when people could be mistreated because of the color of their skin.” – Rosa Parks
15. ”Stand for something or you will fall for anything. Today’s mighty oak is yesterday’s nut that held its ground.” – Rosa Parks
16. ”Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.” – Rosa Parks
17. ”There is just so much hurt, disappointment, and oppression one can take… The line between reason and madness grows thinner.” – Rosa Parks
18. ”The only tired I was, was tired of giving in.” – Rosa Parks
19. ”Differences of race, nationality or religion should not be used to deny any human being citizenship rights or privileges.” – Rosa Parks
20. ”I do the very best I can to look upon life with optimism and hope and looking forward to a better day, but I don’t think there is anything such as complete happiness. It pains me that there is still a lot of Klan activity and racism. I think when you say you’re happy, you have everything that you need and everything that you want, and nothing more to wish for. I haven’t reached that stage yet.” – Rosa Parks
Also check out these powerful civil rights quotes striding towards equality.
Rosa Parks quotes that will inspire to stand for your rights
21. ”As a child I learned from the Bible to trust in God and not be afraid. And I felt the Lord would give me the strength to endure whatever I had to face. God did away with all my fear.” – Rosa Parks
22. ”I believe there is only one race – the human race.” – Rosa Parks
23. ”There is work to do; that is why I cannot stop or sit still. As long as a child needs help, as long as people are not free, there will be work to do. As long as an elderly person is attacked or in need of support, there is work to do. As long as we have bigotry and crime, we have work to do.” – Rosa Parks
24. ”If you want to be respected for your actions, then your behavior must be above reproach. If our lives demonstrate that we are peaceful, humble, and trusted, this is recognized by others.” – Rosa Parks
25. ”It takes more than one person to bring about peace – it takes all of us.” – Rosa Parks
Which of these Rosa Parks quotes was your favorite?
Rosa Parks helped initiate the civil rights movement in the United States and will always be remembered for her brave stand.
Parks refusal to give up her seat on a bus to a white passenger set off the Montgomery, Alabama, bus boycott and influenced American history in a significant way .
Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to improve your life and those around you in a meaningful way.
Read more inspirational quotes from another civil rights pioneer with these Lucretia Mott Quotes.
Which of these Rosa Parks quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.