Get your groove on with our Mitski quotes.
Mitski has been creating fantastic tunes since 2012, and our Mitski quotes spotlight her art.
You might also like these related articles:
Check out our Mitski quotes below to learn more.
Who is Mitski?
Mitski Miyawaski is an American singer and songwriter who made waves for her candid lyricism and lovely vocals.
She debuted in 2012, dropping two albums, and followed up with a third in 2013.
Check out these cool Mitski facts below:
- Mitski got her diploma in Turkey.
- Mitski Miyawaki was born Mitsuki Laycock.
- She grew up living on different continents all over the world.
Her albums were initially in conjunction with her senior project at Purchase University.
Mitski’s most recent albums, such as Laurel Hell, succeeded and entered various top-ten lists.
What is Mitski known for?
Mitski is known for songwriting that embodies themes from her childhood and creates ambitious music fans can relate to.
She explores different sounds, from soulful artsy songs to using a sixty-piece orchestra to raw guitar riffs.
Much of her content is narrative-based and self-motivating.
Mitski is known for her honesty; she once shared, “Sometimes I think the true purpose of my working hard to make money is just so I can finally be left alone.”
Fans of her work praise her authenticity and for allowing her personal experiences to fuel her music.
Why does Mitski dance like that?
If you have never seen Mitski perform or watched one of her videos, you may wonder about her dancing style.
Mitski is obviously proud of her culture.
Audience members can easily see that her dancing showcases her cultural pride.
While performing, she often moves on stage doing traditional Japanese theater dances that involve slow, hyper-controlled motions and facial expressions.
This form of dancing is known as Ankoku Buto.
To learn more, check out our Mitski quotes below.
Short Mitski Quotes About Being An Artist
Mitski is sure of herself as an artist; below are some of her short quotes about creating content.
1. “I know for a fact that I’m problematic.” — Mitski
2. “I shouldn’t be looked to for any kind of guidance.” — Mitski
3. “Being an outsider makes you a really good writer.” — Mitski
4. “I tend to get so stuck in my own small world easily.” — Mitski
5. “It’s nice to know there’s a big world with many perspectives.” — Mitski
The Top Mitski Quotes
Mitski has some memorable one-liners that would make a perfect yearbook caption.
6. “I created it, dictated it, and it made me not able to let go of it.” — Mitski
7. “I’m so smart. I am good at doing math really quickly in my head.” — Mitski
8. “Music was the one thing that was just mine, and no one could take it from me.” — Mitski
9. “If I ever found a place where I belonged, that in itself would be an identity crisis to me.” — Mitski
10. “Going out into the world reminds me that I’m not the center of the world, in a good way.” — Mitski
Mitski Quotes About Personality and Obsession
These quotes demonstrate that Mitski has a unique perspective on how to reach success.
11. “I’m punk, but I love gold.” — Mitski
12. “My personality’s very obsessive-compulsive. I tend to fixate a lot.” — Mitski
13. “My definition of happiness is skewed more towards ecstasy rather than contentment.” — Mitski
14. “I don’t think I’m alone in this: I’m obsessed with trying to not only be happy but maintain happiness.” — Mitski
15. “Growing up, I never really felt like anything was my own. I moved a lot, and I never belonged anywhere.” — Mitski
Mitski Quotes Aboutt Indulging In Life
Mitski reminds us that loving ourselves means working towards what we want.
16. “When you’re young is the one time when you get to indulge in being morose and take yourself most seriously.” — Mitski
17. “I have a very conveniently photographic memory of emotions. It’s overwhelming because things don’t fade for me.” — Mitski
18. “Being an outsider at all times is both unhealthy and useful because you become much more objective about things.” — Mitski
19. “As a woman of color, I always have to be at 150 percent and better than everybody in the room to be considered competent.” — Mitski
20. “I’ve been asked whether I have a hobby and have felt strangely offended that anyone would assume I have the time. Mitski You can never learn enough about music.” — Mitski
Quotes and Sayings From Mitski That Will Make You Think
There is no growth in the comfort zone, as these Mitski quotes will show.
21. “When you love someone and care about them, you want what’s best for them, and it’s always the hardest thing to realize maybe you aren’t what’s best for them, how hard you try.” — Mitski
22. “You always want what you can’t have, and that all-American thing, from the day I was born, I could never enter that dream. That all-American white culture is something that is inherited instead of attained.” — Mitski
23. “When you’re doing something you’re not used to, you kind of realize that you’re still a kid: even though the whole world around you sees you as an adult and you’re expected to act like an adult, you still haven’t actually grown up.” — Mitski
24. “I was a film major because, for some reason, I thought that that was a creative job that had more job opportunities. I don’t know what logic I was following, but that was my impression at the time. Mitski I was one of those girls people called ‘intense.’” — Mitski
25. “On one hand, I think it’s very important to talk about race and talk about gender because if it’s not talked about, then we won’t progress. What I have a problem with is when it becomes another form of tokenization, of shrinking me into a symbol instead of a multilayered, female Asian artist.” — Mitski
Did Mitski Quit Music?
Fans have wondered if Mitski has called it quits.
Each of us responds differently to success, and Mitski has had a successful run as a professional musician.
In 2023, she was nominated for an Academy Award for her work on the film, Everything Everywhere All at Once.
Her song, This is Life, earned her a nod for best song in a motion picture.
However, her fans were afraid when they noticed her merchandise shop closed and her Instagram account was deleted.
While she has not notified audiences of an official leave from the music industry, she has addressed the need to create space.
Some speculate that she has not officially announced that she has quit to avoid the public outcry and backlash from fans.
Do you have a favorite Mitski quote?
Please be sure to let us know in the comments section below.
And if you enjoyed these Mitski quotes, definitely check out these Ani DiFranco Quotes.