One Day at a Time Quotes to Live By
March 18, 2023 5:00 AM EST
On days when life feels particularly challenging, you might be asking yourself, “How can I live one day at a time?”
Reading through these one day at a time quotes is a great place to start, but I will also include some tips at the end!
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to the American Psychological Association, mindfulness practices such as living one day at a time have been found to reduce stress and improve overall well-being.
Taking things one day at a time can help you focus on the present moment and prevent overwhelming anxiety about the future.
Are you living your life to the fullest?
Have you ever wondered where the term, “one day at time comes from?”
It is a belief from AA, that each individual has 24 hours of sobriety.
It can apply to any challenge and can become a personal mantra for anybody who is trying to live their best life!
These quotes help put everything in perspective and can help you focus on living life to the fullest!
Also, read these living life in the moment quotes that will inspire you to make the most of your time.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
One day at a time quotes about the future
The World Health Organization reports that depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide, affecting more than 264 million people.
Living one day at a time can be a helpful coping mechanism for individuals living with depression by focusing on the present moment and breaking down overwhelming tasks into smaller, manageable steps.
1. “The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” – Abraham Lincoln
You will also enjoy our article on Motivational Quotes of the Day.
2. “I never have planned a whole lot of future. It’s one day at a time.” – Darrell Royal
You will also enjoy our article on everything will be okay quotes.
3. “Always remember that the future comes one day at a time.” – Dean Acheson
You will also enjoy our article on everything happens for a reason quotes.
4. “I try to live my life one day at a time, and if I look too far in advance, I get really stressed.” – Hope Solo
You will also enjoy our article on Living in the Moment Quotes.
5. “I’m just taking it one day at a time. Actually, that’s a total lie. I always think about what’s in front of me.” – Julianne Hough
You will also enjoy our article on future quotes.
6. “The future comes one day at a time [so don’t fear and try to solve all the worries and problems of the future today].”– Dean Acheson
You will also enjoy our article on gary keller quotes about getting more things done.
7. “I believe that the best way to prepare for a Future Life is to be kind, live one day at a time, and do the work you can do best, doing it as well as you can.” – Elbert Hubbard
You will also enjoy our article on great quotes about life.
8. “Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.” – John Archibald Wheeler
You will also enjoy our article on love of my life quotes.
9. “No matter how difficult your situation is, you can get through it if you don’t look too far into the future, and focus on the present moment. You can get through anything one day at a time.” – Bob Parsons
You will also enjoy our article on life changing quotes.
10. “My philosophy is to take one day at a time. I don’t worry about the future. Tomorrow is even out of sight for me.” – Bobby Darin
You will also enjoy our article on baby quotes.
11. “Everyone is lonely, we have to remember that life is to be lived one day at a time. You cannot worry about the past or future. Happiness is in the now.” – Claudia Gray
You will also enjoy our article on making the right decision.
One day at a time quotes about success and winning
The National Institute of Mental Health reports that anxiety disorders affect over 40 million adults in the United States, making it the most common mental illness.
Living one day at a time can help those with anxiety disorders manage their symptoms and improve their mental health.
12. “Everybody is looking for instant success, but it doesn’t work that way. You build a successful life one day at a time.” – Lou Holtz
You will also enjoy our article on running quotes.
13. “A good friend of mine once told me that each morning when you wake up, think about winning the day. Don’t worry about a week from now or a month from now – just think about one day at a time. If you are worried about the mountain in the distance, you might trip over the molehill right in front of you. Win the day!” – Drew Brees
You will also enjoy our article on abraham lincoln quotes.
14. “You just try to take it one day at a time, … You step on the basketball floor and just play. It’s fun. I’m comfortable with it.” – Kobe Bryant
You will also enjoy our article on 50 cent quotes.
15. When you wake up, think about winning the day. Don’t worry about a week or a month from now — just think about one day at a time.” – Drew Brees
You will also enjoy our article on fighting cancer quotes.
16. “I’ll never worry about not being successful. I’ll just take it one day at a time, one season at a time. And play as hard as I can.” – Bo Jackson
17. “Wholeheartedly do what it takes to awaken your clear-seeing intelligence, but one day at a time, one moment at a time. If we live that way, we will benefit this earth.” – Pema Chodron
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Pema Chödrön quotes about finding peace in life.
18. “Dream big, my friend, and never give up. We all make mistakes, but none of us are mistakes. Take one day at a time. Embrace the positive attitudes, perspectives, principles, and truths I share, and you, too, will overcome.” – Nick Vujicic
19. “Big things are built one brick at a time. Victories are achieved one choice at a time. A life well-lived is chosen one day at a time.” – Lysa TerKeurst
Also read these memory quotes and sayings that will motivate you to create new and wonderful memories every day.
Motivational one day at a time quotes
A study by the American Psychological Association found that people who focus on the present moment are happier and more satisfied with their lives than those who dwell on the past or worry about the future.
Living one day at a time can help individuals cultivate a sense of mindfulness and presence in their daily lives.
20. “Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything’s possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.” – Day Marie Lu
21. “One day at a time is all we do. One day at a time is good for you.” – John Lennon
22. “We do the best we can in life, we take things one day at a time and sometimes we all just need a simple reminder of that.” – Demi Lovato
23. “Live one day at a time. Keep your attention in present time. Have no expectations. Make no judgments. And give up the need to know why things happen as they do. Give it up!” – Caroline Myss
24. “I have a new philosophy. I’m only going to dread one day at a time.” – Charles M. Schulz
25. “Live one day at a time and make it a masterpiece.” – Dale West
26. “I believe in one day at a time; you’ve got TODAY, that’s what you’ ve got.”- Al Pacino
27. “Life is like an ice-cream cone, you have to lick it one day at a time.” – Charles M. Schulz
28. “Life’s so full that you just take it one day at a time.”– Sheryl Crow
29. “I just live one day at a time.” – Rick James
30. “I remind myself every day just how lucky I am to do what I love! I feel so fortunate and I’m just trying to take my life one day at a time.” – Misty Copeland
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Misty Copeland quotes for a life of passion.
31. “Now is now, and I live everything one day at a time. The fact that I’m still on the planet and able to still make music is such a miracle.” – Ronnie Milsap
32. “My motivation is tomorrow, just one day at a time, right?” – Rafael Nadal
33. “Live one day at a time, unless you can figure out how to live two.” – Dik Browne
34. “Take one day at a time. Allow yourself to change.” – Paul Henderson
You might also like these life is short quotes about happiness, death, and more.
Motivational one day at a time quotes
Research by the University of Scranton found that only 8% of people achieve their New Year’s resolutions.
The statistic highlights the importance of taking things one day at a time and setting small, achievable goals rather than overwhelming oneself with lofty resolutions.
35. “One breath at a time. One day at a time. Wake up, and be shredded. Cry for a while. Then stop crying and go about your day. You’re not okay, but you’re alive, and you will be okay, someday.” – Jasinda Wilder
36. “Live one day at a time, and never be afraid.” – Tammy Faye Bakker
37. “I try to take it one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
38. “Take life one day at a time because every day is a different day with new challenges.” – Penny Streeter
39. “A lot of things have been thrown at me in life, and I’ve got through it all without a rule book, taking it one day at a time.” – Yoko Ono
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these new month quotes that inspire new beginnings.
40. “How does a project get to be a year behind schedule? One day at a time.” – Fred Brooks
41. “I’ve been sober now for a couple of years and I’m taking my sobriety very seriously – one day at a time and I am moving forward in my career.” – Daniel Baldwin
42. “There is magic in knocking down your most important domino day after day. All you have to do is avoid breaking the chain, one day at a time until you generate a powerful new habit in your life.” – Gary W. Keller
43. “I’m trying to stay as calm as possible and focus one day at a time, but when reality sets in, I feel everything: anxiety, excitement, nerves, pressure, and joy.” – Shawn Johnson
44. “It won’t do you any good to run if you’re running the wrong way. I’ve developed a new philosophy…I only dread one day at a time.” – Charles M. Schulz
45. “We live one day at a time and scratch where it itches.” – Darrell Royal
46. “I’m not a legend or a hero, I don’t slay dragons, I don’t do any of the things that a real hero can. But I can make things better, one day at a time, for most of the kingdom.” – Mercedes Lackey
47. “All we can do is try, do our best. Give as much time as we have to give, one day at a time. One breath at a time.” – Jasinda Wilder
48. “I still find it almost impossible to relax for more than one day at a time.” – Gene Kelly
49. “Now I’m starting, relatively, to think straight again. I live one day at a time, one hour at a time. What makes it all worthwhile is my children.” – Paula Yates
50. “The road to recovery will not always be easy, but I will take it one day at a time, focusing on the moments I’ve dreamed about for so long.” –Amanda Lindhout
Don’t forget to also read these free spirit quotes for those with a wild heart.
More one day at a time quotes and sayings
A study by the University of California, Los Angeles found that people who practice gratitude on a daily basis experience improved mood, higher levels of optimism, and increased satisfaction with life.
Focusing on gratitude and taking one day at a time can help individuals cultivate a positive mindset and outlook on life.
51. “The life of faith is lived one day at a time, and it has to be lived – not always looked forward to as though the “real” living were around the next corner. It is today for which we are responsible. God still owns tomorrow.” – Elisabeth Elliot
52. “You never know where life is going to take you. So everything I do, I just take it one day at a time, and it always leads you to the right place.” – Kyle Massey
53. “Take life on life’s terms – one day at a time. And have fun while you’re doing it.” – Joe Perry
54. “The one thing we know about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.” – Jeff Rich
55. “I live one day at a time, one day at a time. Yesterday’s gone and tomorrow is blind, so I live one day at a time.” – Willie Nelson
56. “I believe in past lives but I know nothing about mine and I don’t want to know. I live in the present, taking one day at a time.” – Uri Geller
57. “When people go through something rough in life, they say, ‘I’m taking it one day at a time.’ Yes, so is everybody. Because that’s how time works.” – Hannibal Buress
58. “Saving lives, one day at a time, just like always.” – Spencer Smith
59. “Live one day at a time emphasizing ethics rather than rules.” – Wayne Dyer
60. “I like my life. I’ve had a good life. I think the reason is my parents taught me that life is a burden. But if you take it one day at a time, it’s an easy burden.” – Andrew Young
61. “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.” — Mitch Albom
62. “Live one day at a time; better yet, make the most of this moment.” — Joel Osteen
63. “I still follow that model: just go hard every day, and take it one step at a time.” — Ace Hood
64. “I try not to worry about the future – so I take each day just one anxiety attack at a time.” — Tom Wilson
65. “Big achievements come one small advantage at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time.” — Jim Rohn
One day at a time quotes about life
66. “Who knows, I have always lived one day at a time. Probably more adventure and excitement.” – Rob Mariano
67. “I take one day at a time. I’ve always been like that.” – Katherine Kelly
68. “I live one day at a time.” – Shamita Shetty
69. “The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.” – Dean Acheson
70. “Don’t look too far into the future, just look at tomorrow. One day at a time. Can you win tomorrow? Can you make progress? The answer is yes, you have a choice and tomorrow you’re going to win.” – Joe Wicks
71. “You have to take things one day at a time.” – Walter Payton
72. “I’m still growing; I take each day, one day-at-a-time.” – Roy Haynes
73. “Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep.” – Carl Sandberg
74. “If you try to live seven days at a time, the week will be over before you know it.” – Charles M. Schulz
75. “I learned that, with grief, you have to take it one day at a time and learn how to find the happiness amid the heartbreak.” – Adrienne C. Moore
76. “Many times, the decisions we make affect and hurt your closest friends and family the most. I have a lot of regrets in that regard. But God has forgiven me, which I am very thankful for. It has enabled me to forgive myself and move forward one day at a time.” – Lex Luger
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of quotes about having fun and enjoying your life.
Proof that ‘One day at a time’ works with nearly every situation
77. “I keep my life to one day at a time.” — Paul Merson
78. “I’m like a recovering perfectionist. For me it’s one day at a time.” — Brene Brown
79. “I just wrote one song at a time. Kinda like an alcoholic. One day at a time.” — Neil Young
80. “The way to deal with the devil of obesity and diabetes is literally one day at a time.” — Stephen Furst
81. “I just take it one day at a time, try to forget about what I did the day before. Go out there like every day is Opening Day.” — Aaron Judge
82. “You never know the plan. You never know what’s going to happen. We are not even promised tomorrow. I just try to focus on one day at a time.” — Morgan Wallen
83. “I’m taking each day one day at a time, and building up my strength and endurance. It’s crazy because it takes no time at all to lose everything you have and then so much time to gain it back.” — Michelle McCool
84. “Where I am today… I still have my ups and downs, but I take it one day at a time and I just hope that I can be the best that I can possibly be, not only for myself, but also young people that are out there today that need someone to look up to.” — Demi Lovato
85. “I’ve always approached my career and my life, you know, one day at a time, as if this was the last day that I’m going, because you never know as an athlete and as a dancer. You never know what can happen today, tomorrow.” — Misty Copeland
86. “I think there are always phases in life when things get intense or difficult, whether it’s the sheer volume of work or personal circumstances. And I’ve definitely had tough moments. The way I approach them is just to tell myself that this, too, will pass, and take it one day at a time.” — Marianne Lake
One day at a time quotes about slowing down
87. “I take my work one day at a time.” – Smriti Irani
88. “I am seeking the will of God, living one day at a time.” – Anita Bryant
89. “The way I do things is I take it one day at a time. Don’t try to put too much pressure or stress on myself figuring out what somebody else is going to do. Just worry about what I got to do.” – Trevor Ariza
90. “I have a passion for helping others and making a difference in the world. I take life one day at a time and make the best of it every chance that I get.” – Lizzie Velasquez
91. “I just take one day at a time, pray, and know that whatever happens is God’s will, so there’s nothing I can do to change that.” – Javon Ringer
92. “There’s only one day at a time here, then it’s tonight and then tomorrow will be today again.” – Bob Dylan
93. “Especially in this league, you can have a tendency to look ahead, but really, it’s about one taking one day at a time, one game at a time.” – Sean McVay
94. “I just take things one day at a time. I’m just thankful that I have my legs, my arms, my eyes.” – Fantastic Negrito
95. “I take one day at a time.” – Vidya Balan
96. “How do you shoot a 150-day movie? You shoot it one day at a time.” – David Fincher
One day at a time quotes to make life manageable
97. “I take life one day at a time.” -Ghostface Killah
98. “I am grateful for so much, that every day, one day at a time, is Thanksgiving.” -Andrew Zimmern
99. “I have always been the kind of guy who just takes it one day at a time.” -Khris MIddleton
100. “I only think day by day. I’ve no huge plans for the future, I live one day at a time.” -Rui Patricio
101. “I’m just taking it one day at a time. Actually, one night at a time. I’m not usually up during the day.” -William Belli
102. “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Grant me the patience with changes that take time, appreciation of all that I have, tolerance of those with different struggles, and the strength to get up and try again, one day at a time.” -Reinhold Niebuhr
103. “The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next.” -Mignon McLaughlin
104. “If people just took it a day at a time, they’d be a lot happier.” -Richard Bachman
105. “You can only do things one day at a time, sport. Sometimes life is so bloody that’s the only way you can get through it. But the good bit about living one day at a time is that when nice things happen, you enjoy them more than people who are always thinking about the past or the future.” -Deborah Crombie
106. “Do your best, one day at a time. That’s good enough.” -Donna Goddard
One Day at a Time Quotes To Help You Push Through
106. “The whole idea is you can’t sit around and do nothing. You have to get up and start living one day at a time.” ― Darlene Love
107. “Life at its essence boils down to one day at a time. Today is the day!” ― Jim Stovall
108. “Hold on tight we’ll muddle through. One day at a time.” ― Gloria Estefan
109. “Take one day at a time. Today, after all, is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.” ― Billy Graham
110. “It’s a waste of time to think about what I should have done and what I didn’t… I live my life one day at a time.” ― Liza Minnelli
111. “There’s no straighter road to success than exceeding expectations one day at a time.” ― Robin Crow
112. “Do one thing at a time and do that one thing as if your life depended upon it.” ― Eugene Grace
113. “Do only one thing at a time. It is lazy people who want to do everything at once.” ― Vikrant Parsai
114. “I believe everything has a solution, and I take it one day at a time or one thing at a time.” ― Lisa Vidal
115. “A complex problem can be overwhelming, even when you’ve got your plan mapped out, but remember: the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Just focus on one small goal at a time.” ― Dr Anil Kr Sinha
One Day AT A Time Quotes To Improve Your Life
116. “You can only do things one day at a time… Sometimes… that’s the only way you can get through it.” — Deborah Crombie
117. “Life turns on a dime… You’ve got to live by faith one day at a time.” — Eddie Guerrero
118. “Success happens one day at a time… Day after day… Consistency wins the race in the end…” — Brad Sugars
119. “Life is easier when you take it one day at a time and remember that nothing is permanent.” — Lori Deschene
120. “One part at a time, one day at a time, we can accomplish any goal we set for ourselves.” — Karen Casey
121. “I never really look back. I just approach life (taking) it one day at a time. I’m just really grateful.” — Katie Holmes
123. “When you get good at living your present moments one day at a time, you’ll see yourself changing right before your own surprised eyes.” — Anita Moorjani
124. “Every day is about growing and evolving, and each day I just take it one day at a time and embrace it as it comes.” — Trina
125. “I believe that the plight of life and all existence is to master one’s self, you know, one day at a time.” — CeeLo Green
126. “We take it one day at a time, one step at a time, and whatever comes, comes.” — Dawn Wells
One Day at a Time To Give You Patience in Life
127. “I can’t promise you that you’ll ever live in a world where people don’t hurt your feelings. But I can promise you that if you keep on moving and taking one day at a time, the opinions and words of people who hurt you will matter less and less to you.” — Taylor Swift
128. “It’s just one day at a time. I love multi-tasking and I’m really organized and when you have a certain work ethic, which all the girls have, we all have that same thing going on.” — Kris Jenner
129. “I just take it one day at a time. Austin Powers has given me a lot of opportunities as far as my career.” — Verne Troyer
130. “I’m not like, overly anxious or nothing like that, because sometimes when you’re overly anxious it kind of brings a weird energy around and I just like to just take things one day at a time.” — Tory Lanez
131. “This is my report on how to live… They say the best way is just to live one day at a time… If you try to live seven days at a time, the week will be over before you know it.” — Charles M. Schulz
132. “Just this whole journey [of life] has been a blessing from God, so for me to be here [on Earth] I’m just taking it one day at a time and really enjoying it.” — Jeremy Lin
133. “I’m just trying to really take it one day at a time, because for me – and I know this sounds cliche, whatever – I achieved my ultimate goal, and nothing can really top that, you know?” — Nastia Liukin
134. “It’s just one day at a time. I love multi-tasking and I’m really organized and when you have a certain work ethic, which all the girls have, we all have that same thing going on.” — Kris Jenner
135. “Some people drift through their entire life. They do it one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time.” — Mary Kay Ash
136. “People aren’t evil and people aren’t good. They live how they can one day at a time. They come out of dust they go back to dust, dusty feet, no wings, and whose fault is that?” — Caryl Churchill
What did you learn from these one day at time quotes?
Are you ready to start living your life one day at a time?
Here are some simple steps that you can start doing right now!
First, set achievable daily goals, and then celebrate when you complete them.
Try keeping a journal.
Don’t just go through the same motions every day.
We are on this earth to live, not just survive our current hardships.
What makes you happy?
What feels like a waste of time?
Prioritize the things that are important to you and be grateful for all you have.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these inspiring one day at time quotes?
Do you have any tips on how to live one day at a time?
Drop them in the comment section below!