If you’re struggling through difficult times, these Pema Chödrön quotes will help you to change your mindset.
Pema Chödrön didn’t start life out living in peace and compassion. She went through a life very similar to all of us. She was married, had children, and was divorced twice. Like many, she struggled with depression which is one of the things that led her to the path of becoming a Buddhist nun.
Since her enlightenment, she has focused on spreading the message of peace and compassion. Her words are used by many to help them through difficult times in their lives.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking Pema Chödrön quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also check out these overcoming dark quotes for moving past difficult times.
Pema Chödrön quotes about compassion
1. “Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It’s a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others.” – Pema Chödrön
2. “As long as our orientation is toward perfection or success, we will never learn about unconditional friendship with ourselves, nor will we find compassion.” – Pema Chödrön
3. “Compassion for others begins with kindness to ourselves.” – Pema Chödrön
4. “The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.” – Pema Chödrön
Pema Chödrön quotes about life
5. “Rejoicing in ordinary things is not sentimental or trite. It actually takes guts. Each time we drop our complaints and allow everyday good fortune to inspire us, we enter the warrior’s world.” – Pema Chödrön
6. “Interrupting our destructive habits and awakening our heart is the work of a lifetime.” – Pema Chödrön
7. “Every day we think about the aggression in the world. Everybody always strikes out at the enemy, and the pain escalates forever. We could reflect on this and ask ourselves, ‘Am I going to add to the aggression in the world?’ Everyday we can ask ourselves, ‘Am I going to practice peace, or am I going to war?’” – Pema Chödrön
8. “Rather than being disheartened by the uncertainty of life, what if we accepted it and relaxed into it? What if we said, yes, this is the way it is; this is what it means to be human, and decided to sit down and enjoy the ride.” – Pema Chödrön
9. “The future is completely open, and we are writing it moment to moment.” – Pema Chödrön
10. “Each moment is just what it is. It might be the only moment of our life; it might be the only strawberry we’ll ever eat. We could get depressed about it, or we could finally appreciate it and delight in the preciousness of every single moment of our life.” – Pema Chödrön
11. “To be fully alive, fully human, and completely awake is to be continually thrown out of the nest.” – Pema Chödrön
12. “The experiences of your life are trying to tell you something about yourself. Don’t cop out on that. Don’t run away and hide under your cover. Lean into it.” – Pema Chödrön
13. “Being open and receptive to whatever is happening is always more important than getting worked up and adding further aggression to the planet, adding further pollution to the atmosphere.” – Pema Chödrön
14. “One can appreciate and celebrate each moment — there’s nothing more sacred. There’s nothing more vast or absolute. In fact, there’s nothing more!” – Pema Chödrön
15. “Look ahead to the rest of your life and ask yourself what you want it to add up to.” – Pema Chödrön
16. “You must face annihilation over and over again to find what is indestructible in yourself.” – Pema Chödrön
You might also like these world peace quotes that will give you hope for humanity.
Pema Chödrön quotes about difficulties
17. “Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know.” – Pema Chödrön
18. “We have a choice. We can spend our whole life suffering because we can’t relax with how things really are, or we can relax and embrace the open-endedness of the human situation, which is fresh, unfixated, unbiased.” – Pema Chödrön
19. “A further sign of health is that we don’t become undone by fear and trembling but we take it as a message that it’s time to stop struggling and look directly at what’s threatening us.” – Pema Chödrön
20. “Sometimes when things fall apart, well, that’s the big opportunity to change.” – Pema Chödrön
21. “Let difficulty transform you. And it will. In my experience, we just need help in learning how not to run away.” – Pema Chödrön
22. “It isn’t the things that happen to us in our lives that cause us to suffer, it’s how we relate to the things that happen to us that causes us to suffer.” – Pema Chödrön
23. “We think that the point is to pass the test or to overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart.” – Pema Chödrön
24. “None of us is ever OK, but we all get through everything just fine.” – Pema Chödrön
25. “When we protect ourselves so we won’t feel pain, that protection becomes armor, like armor that imprisons the softness of the heart.” – Pema Chödrön
26. “This moving away from comfort and security, this stepping out into what is unknown, uncharted, and shaky – that’s called liberation.” – Pema Chödrön
27. “If someone comes along and shoots an arrow into your heart, it’s fruitless to stand there and yell at the person. It would be much better to turn your attention to the fact that there’s an arrow in your heart.” – Pema Chödrön
28. “Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift.” – Pema Chödrön
Pema Chödrön quotes about peace
29. “Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.” – Pema Chödrön
30. “Don’t let people pull you into their storm. Pull them into your peace.” – Pema Chödrön
31. “Peace isn’t an experience free of challenges, free of rough and smooth, it’s an experience that’s expansive enough to include all that arises without feeling threatened.” – Pema Chödrön
32. “When we are training in the art of peace, we are not given any promises that, because of our noble intentions, everything will be okay. In fact, there are no promises of fruition at all. Instead, we are encouraged to simply look deeply at joy and sorrow, at laughing and crying, at hoping and fearing, all that lives and dies. We learn that what truly heals is gratitude and tenderness.” – Pema Chödrön
Wise Pema Chödrön quotes
33. “Fear is a natural reaction to moving closer to the truth.” – Pema Chödrön
34. “If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.” – Pema Chödrön
35. “The idea of karma is that you continually get the teachings that you need to open your heart.” – Pema Chödrön
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of karma quotes about what goes around & comes around in our life.
36. “The truth you believe and cling to makes you unavailable to hear anything new.” – Pema Chödrön
37. “Just where you are – that’s the place to start.” – Pema Chödrön
38. “Suffering usually relates to wanting things to be different from the way they are.” – Pema Chödrön
39. “When we protect ourselves so we won’t feel pain, that protection becomes armor, like armor that imprisons the softness of the heart.” – Pema Chödrön
40. “Precision, gentleness and the ability to let go are not something that we have to gain, but something that we could bring out, cultivate, rediscover in ourselves.” – Pema Chödrön
41. “The root of resisting the certainty that no matter what the circumstance, uncertainty is all we truly have.” – Pema Chödrön
42. “The most fundamental aggression to ourselves, the most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves, is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently.” – Pema Chödrön
43. “It’s a nice feeling to just be.” – Pema Chödrön
44. “Clarity and decisiveness come from the willingness to slow down, to listen and look at what’s happening.” – Pema Chödrön
Pema Chödrön quotes about meditation
45. “It helps to remember that our practice is not about accomplishing anything – not about winning or losing – but about ceasing to struggle and relaxing as it is. That is what we are doing when we sit down to meditate. That attitude spreads into the rest of our lives.” – Pema Chödrön
46. “In practicing meditation, we’re not trying to live up to some kind of ideal — quite the opposite. We’re just being with our experience, whatever it is.” – Pema Chödrön
47. “If you ask why we meditate, I would say it’s so we can become more flexible and tolerant to the present moment.” – Pema Chödrön
48. “Meditation practice is not about later, when you get it all together and you’re this person you really respect.” – Pema Chödrön
49. “We don’t sit in meditation to become good meditators. We sit in meditation so that we’ll become more awake in our lives.” – Pema Chödrön
50. “One of the main discoveries of meditation is seeing how we continually run away from the present moment, how we avoid being here just as we are.” – Pema Chödrön
Are you struggling?
If life is feeling overwhelming for you at the moment, you may have found some comfort in the Pema Chödrön quotes above. She shares a message that supports taking responsibility for your own peace instead of allowing the situations in your life and others to control it.
This approach allows you the ability to find and maintain inner peace. To live a peaceful life is to do it purposefully. Choose the words above, or find others, that remind you that you’re in control of your peace and happiness. Hopefully, these Pema Chödrön quotes will inspire you to move forward each day.
What’s your biggest takeaway from the above quotes? Do you have any other inspirational Pema Chödrön quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.