These second chances quotes will inspire you to take life by the horns and give that goal another go.
Tell us your favorite second-chance quotes in the comment section below.
Humans are… well, only human.
We may not get everything right the first time, second, third time, or even the hundredth time.
But that’s why having a second chance at something is important.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading these quotes about second chances?
All of us have made mistakes in our lives, but if all were lost, we’d have no motivation to try anything again.
While you are never required to give a person another chance, just think of the times when life or other people gave you a second chance.
These second chance quotes will help you:
- Gain a new perspective on your mistakes
- Decide when to give others the grace of a second chance
- Understand more about we learn and grow
Perhaps these second chances quotes will motivate you to keep trying at that goal you have, the love you lost, or the opportunities you missed out on.
Or maybe they will inspire you to move on to the next stage in your life!
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Quotes on second chances in life
1. “If you ever get a second chance in life for something, you’ve got to go all the way.” — Lance Armstrong
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about having fun.
2. “God always offers us a second chance in life.” — Paulo Coelho
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about new beginnings.
3. “If you are still breathing, you have a second chance.” — Oprah Winfrey
You will also enjoy our article on goodbye quotes.
4. “All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.” — Mae West
You will also enjoy our article on quotes by famous people.
5. “We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance.” — Harrison Ford
You will also enjoy our article on trust issues quotes.
6. “I believe in second chances, but I don’t believe in third or fourth chances.” — Selena Gomez
You will also enjoy our article on letting go quotes.
7. “That is what life is about. We do not get redos, but we do get second chances.” — Jeffrey Fry
You will also enjoy our article on survival quotes.
8. “When God gives you a second chance, it’s not something you take for granted.” — Lane Kiffin
You will also enjoy our article on opportunity quotes.
9. “We all deserve second chances, but not for the same mistake.” — Thabiso Owethu Xabanisa
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about being strong.
10. “Every second chance I have witnessed or experienced is a momentary miracle.” – Holly Elissa Bruno
You will also enjoy our article on perfection quotes.
Second chances quotes about love
11. “In the shaping of a life, chance and the ability to respond to chance are everything.” – Eric Hoffer
You will also enjoy our article on Monday motivation quotes.
12. “I want the world to know that everybody deserves a second chance.” – El Debarge
You will also enjoy our article on best relationship quotes.
13. “Take forgiveness slowly. Don’t blame yourself for being slow. Peace will come.” – Yoko Ono
You will also enjoy our article on mistake quotes.
14. “A man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him.” – John Wayne
You will also enjoy our article on I’m sorry quotes.
15. “To understand everything is to forgive everything.” – Osho
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about taking risks.
16. “Every moment of your life is a second chance.” – Rick Price
17. “Everyone needs a second chance. Some of us need a third or fourth chance.” – Catherine DePasquale
18. “Second chances appear like a gift left at our doorstep.” – Holly Elissa Bruno
19. “No one can claim perfection, that’s why everyone needs a second chance ad infinitum.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
Quotes on second chances and opportunities
20. “Success lies in one’s ability to learn from mistakes.” ― Dr. Prem Jagyasi
21. “Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
22. “A second chance doesn’t mean anything if you didn’t learn from your first.” — Anurag Prakash Ray
23. “Having a second chance makes you want to work even harder.” — Tia Mowry
24. “Opportunities multiply as they are seized.” — Sun Tzu
25. “I was dying but suddenly had a second chance at living.” – Shelley Fabares
26. “I mean, we all need a second chance sometimes.” – Joel Osteen
27. “We all make mistakes, everybody should be given a second chance.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
28. “If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won’t need a third.” — Pete Rose
29. “Sometimes goodbye is a second chance.” — Shinedown
30. “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” — Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Maya Angelou quotes celebrating success, love & life.
Second chances quotes that will inspire you to take life by the horns
31. “Miracles were just second chances if you really thought about it — second chances when all hope was lost.” — Kaya Mclaren
32. “Choosing to be open to as many second chances as your heart can bear changes everything.” – Holly Elissa Bruno
33. “Not everyone gets a second chance. If you do get one, take advantage of it because it’s a gift, and it may be something better than you had before!” — Nishan Panwar
34. “This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the second chance were offered me.” — Burtrand Russell
35. “If there’s even a slight chance at getting something that will make you happy, risk it. Life’s too short and happiness is too rare.” — A. R. Lucas
36. “I will forever believe in second chances and forgiveness, because if it weren’t for those two things I would and should be dead.” — Dedrick D. L. Pitter
37. “Because when you finally find the one against all odds, you give him your best and let the magic of the world carry the rest.” ― E. Mellyberry
38. “Everyone has a past. I have mine, you have yours, and we have ours. No matter what it takes, I will prove to you that our past, no matter how hurtful, didn’t ruin the future we could have.” — Melissa Foster
39. “They say everyone needs a second chance. I am willing to give you one provided you are ready to accept it.” — Nidhi Saini
40. “People do make mistakes and I think they should be punished. But they should be forgiven and given the opportunity for a second chance. We are human beings.” — David Millar
Second chances quotes on learning from the past
41. “Once you stop being in love with someone completely, that’s when you should check out of the relationship…But when you fall in love with someone a second time it means that you’re seeing them with a fresh pair of eyes. You’re re-remembering all the things that turned you on to them in the first place.” — Madison Moore
42. “Because fate has a funny way of mending things back together. I mean you are here and I am here, and we’ll find each other again, that is, if that’s the way it’s supposed to be. so if you believe I believe.” — R.M Drake
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of fate quotes that will remind you to take each day one at a time.
43. “I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as making a life. I’ve learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.” — Maya Angelou
44. “Let tomorrow be your second chance to prove that you are better than today and yesterday.” — Ritu Ghatourey
45. “A second chance doesn’t mean you’re in the clear. In many ways, it is the more difficult thing. Because a second chance means that you have to try harder. You must rise to the challenge without the blind optimism of ignorance.” — Ling Ma
46. “If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down.” — Mary Pickford
47. “Sometimes life gives you a second chance, or even two! Not always, but sometimes. It’s what you do with those second chances that counts.” — Dave Wilson
48. “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” — Carl Bard
49. “Whatever problems we had back then don’t exist anymore. It’s why we have this second chance, and we can’t throw it away.” — Michelle Maddow
50. “There is no going back in life, no return, no second chance. I cannot call back the spoken word or the accomplished deed.” ― Daphne Du Maurier
More second chances quotes and sayings
51. “I’ve been with my husband for seven years. With my husband and my son, I get my second chance in life to be loved and be happy.” — Tonya Harding
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of husband quotes to make him feel appreciated.
52. “Thank God you are still alive for many have died and are dying as I speak. You still have the opportunity to change and make things right whilst those that have died wish for that second chance.” — Alexander Serebryakov
53. “But if something was really important, fate made sure it somehow came back to you and gave you another chance… Events conspired to bring you back to where you’d been. It was what you did then that made all the difference: it was all about potential.” — Sarah Dessen
54. “Sometimes you don’t get a second chance. You need to take a chance when you have the opportunity. Always.” – Gavin MacLeod
55. “First impression must be impressive because there’s not a second chance for making a first impression.” – Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
56. “If love finds you again, don’t fight it. Don’t let grief hold you back. Love is a risk. There are no guarantees. But, in the end, it is always, always worth it.” – J.L. Berg
57. “There is always at least one person wondering if someone who has never loved them still loves them.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
58. “I can’t tell whether a revived man would appreciate his second chance or yearn for the stolen serenity.” – Ahmed Mostafa
59. “If you fail today there is always tomorrow to try again. You always have that second chance tomorrow.” – Avina Celeste
60. “Life is giving us a second chance to right our wrongs. But we can’t if we don’t start with the truth.” – Zøe Haslie
Second chances quotes for relationships
61. “Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.” — Mary Tyler Moore
62. “I know people will call me stupid for this. But Love, I can still see the truth in your lonely eyes. I can see the long lost stars in the corner of your eyes – you know that the stars are my weakness. I see the boundless hopes of wanting me back into your life and that’s why I’m coming back to you.” — Martin Manuel
63. “Sometimes things make more sense the second time around. People change, you change and the universe changes, if we keep ourselves confined to first chances only, we will truly miss out on some of the most beautiful things in life.” — Rania Naim
64. “Did you ever wish that you had a second chance to meet someone again for the first time?” – Faraaz Kazi
65. “To take that second chance, we need to notice where we are and be open to the possibility of growing.” – Holly Elissa Bruno
66. “Never be afraid to start over, it’s a new chance to rebuild what you want. You’re fortunate if you’re given a second chance.” – Malika Nura
67. “You don’t get a second chance to get it right the first time.”― Howard Dwayne Livingston
68. “Second chances do come your way. Like trains, they arrive and depart regularly. Recognizing the ones that matter is the trick.” — Jill A. Davis
69. “Sometimes in life you’re not always given a second chance, but if you do, take advantage of it, and go out with a bang!” — Aquaria
70. “There’s nothing as exciting as a comeback – seeing someone with dreams, watching them fail, and then getting a second chance.” — Rachel Griffiths
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of comeback quotes to help you bounce back.
Quotes About Second Chances in Life
71. “Every second a seeker can start over, For his life’s mistakes Are initial drafts And not the final version.”- Sri Chinmoy
72. “Life always offers us a second chance. It’s called tomorrow. So don’t give up against adverse circumstances and keep fighting.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
73. “We can’t run out of second chances…only time.” – Robin Jones Gunn
74. “Every second we have a second chance to do something we haven’t done yet. That’s why it’s called a second and not a first.” – Robert J. Braathe
75. “I don’t buy the idea of a second chance. With hope, we make a lot of chances.” – Toba Beta
76. “When you are on your last straw, that means you have one more opportunity, use it to not give up doing good.” ― Hannah Garrison
77. “Don’t think there are no second chances. Life always offers you a second chance… It’s called “tomorrow’.” — Nicholas Sparks
78. “Sometimes you were handed a second chance, and all you had to do was close your eyes and step into it.”- Jean Oram
79. “It has been said that sometimes the greatest hope in our lives is just a second chance to do what we should have done right in the first place.” – Richard Paul Evans
80. “There is always a chance for a new beginning.” – Catherine DePasquale
Making the Most out of Second Chances Quotes
81. “In case you never get a second chance? Don’t be afraid!” – C. JoyBell C.
82. “It’s hard to remember that this day will never come again. That the time is now and the place is here and that there are no second chances at a single moment.” – Jeanette Winterson
83. “Children are our second chance to have a great parent-child relationship.” – Laura Schlessinger
84. “It’s so different when you get a second chance to come back out and do your thing – you’re more humble, you appreciate it more, you know what not to do this second time around.” – Da Brat
85. “If children who commit crimes are not given the opportunity of a second chance, they may die in prison for acts made before having developed the cognitive and emotional skills needed to make informed and smart decisions and choices.” – Alan K. Simpson
86. “There are times when you should never give a cheater a second chance, but there also are exceptions.” – Ruth Westheimer
87. “I’m going to write a book, continue acting, continue motivational speaking and just share with people who I am and what I’ve learned in my second chance of life and pass it on to people in their first chance of life.” – J. R. Martinez
88. “There are few things as powerful as the joy of someone who got a second chance and found their purpose.” – Kim Reynolds
89. “We will never, ever weaken our resolve to be tough on the worst offenders. But we will responsibly take steps to assist our friends and neighbors who deserve a second chance to contribute to our society.” – Michelle Lujan Grisham
90. “Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.” – Viktor E. Frankl
Second chance quotes on why getting it right the first time is better
91. “Fiction gives us the second chances that life denies us.” – Paul Theroux
92. “Sometimes there is no next time, no time-outs, no second chances. Sometimes it’s now or never.” – Alan Bennett
93. “Opportunities are like sunrises. If you wait too long, you miss them.” – William Arthur Ward
94. “There are no second chances in life, except to feel remorse.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
95. “No second chance?” A wry smile twisted Carrick’s lips. “There might have been, had I not waited so long to take it.” – Nora Roberts
96. “There’s no second chance on stage, and I was trained to make the most of my first chance.” – Kate Smith
97. “Sometimes in life, there are no second chances.” – L.Joe
98. “I had my chance.’ He said it, retiring from a lifetime of wanting. ‘I had my chance, and sometimes in life, there are no second chances. You look at what you have, not what you miss, and you move forward.” – Jamie Ford
99. “We have this one life to offer; there is no second chance.” – Jen Hatmaker
100. “No second chances in the land of a thousand dances, the valley of ten million insanities.” – Ry Cooder
Quotes about second chances and forgiveness
101. “We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
102. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.”― Marianne Williamson
103. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
104. “A broken friendship that is mended through forgiveness can be even stronger than it once was.”― Stephen Richards
105. “To err is human, to forgive, divine.”― Alexander Pope
106. “Forgiveness means it finally becomes unimportant that you hit back.”― Anne Lamott
107. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”― Mark Twain
108. “We don’t forgive people because they deserve it. We forgive them because they need it—because we need it.”― Bree Despain
109. “I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.”― Abraham Lincoln
110. “Forgiveness is the only way to reverse the irreversible flow of history.”― Hannah Arendt
Second Chances Quotes to make Things Right
111. “Give people a second chance, but not a third.” ― H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
112. “I think my thing is I grew up in the ghetto, and I was able to get a second chance. That’s what I’m trying to tell kids.” ― Master P
113. “You want this so badly—this second chance, this chance at real redemption—that you can’t see the truth.” ― Harlan Coben
114. “It is possible to have second chances. When I thought everything was lost, when I reached bottom and things didn’t go my way, the universe gave me a second chance.” ― Patricia Velasquez
115. “Writing gave me a second chance – not to change things, but to savor them. That is a great gift.” ― Doris McCarthy
116. “Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a second chance.” ― Mo’ne Davis
117. “America’s greatest strength, and its greatest weakness, is our belief in second chances, our belief that we can always start over, that things can be made better.” ― Anthony Walton
118. “Souness gave Fleck a second chance and he grabbed it with both feet.” ― James Sanderson
119. “You don’t get second chances in the real world.” ― Gail Simmons
120. “I’m a guy that creates my own destiny in this world. Until I’m off the planet, there’s always a second chance.” ― Urijah Faber
Second Chances Quotes to Make Things Right
121. “I’ve learned that if you wait long enough, you might get a second chance at something you gave up on. And sometimes you’ll be the one to give the second chance to someone else.” — Wendy Mass
122. “You shouldn’t rule out second chances. Sometimes they come with interesting bonus features.” — Lisa Kleypas
123. “Some part of getting a second chance is taking responsibility for the mess you made in the first place.” — Jack Bauer
124. “Be willing to give people a second chance. You’d be surprised how well people respond to another opportunity to succeed.” — Robert Cheeke
125. “You always have a second chance, as long as you believe you do and you try again, and stay positive and persistent and consistent.” — Urijah Faber
126. “It’s time for second chances. It’s time to remake the world.” — Jandy Nelson
127. “People mess up and make mistakes all the time. Everyone deserves a second chance right? – Brandon.” — Molly McAdams
128. “I could have easily gone down the wrong path and dropped out of school, but I was given a second chance.” — Kevin O’Leary
129. “Repentance is the word that gives us a second chance.” — Fred A. Hartley, Jr.
130. “To give up too easily leads to regret, yet trying and then failing can lead us to second chances if we do not accept it as a failure, but a chance to learn.” — Karen White
Second Chances Quotes To Give You Another Opportunity
131. “I’ve always been humble and this even humbled me even more to definitely get a second chance at my career. There are still chapters I’m writing in this legacy.” — Darrelle Revis
132. “It certainly is gravy every day above ground right now, after kicking that heroin habit. I’ve been given a second chance in life, and I don’t want to let a minute go by without enjoying it.” — Al Jourgensen
133. A second chance will never be able to heal the wound of the first one.” — Laura Chouette
134. “Grandparents are given a second chance to enjoy parenthood with fewer of its tribulations and anxieties.” — Margaret Mead
135. “It’s about second chances, Neil. Second, third, fourth, whatever, as long as you get at least one more than what anyone else wanted to give you.” — Nora Sakavic
136. “Good memories are our second chance at happiness.” — Queen Elizabeth II
137. “Second chances, miracles, angels, faith and religion all promise us a way of doing things better to smooth over the regrets and hope we make better decisions in the future.” — Laura San Giacomo
138. “…Don’t feel sorry for me. I’m glad I had a second chance in life like you said to be smart because I learned a lot of things that I never knew were in this world, and I’m grateful I saw it even for a little bit.” — Daniel Keyes
139. “Basically, a second chance is a ‘do over,’ an opportunity to make an additional effort at accomplishing something or reaching a goal after you’ve failed at least once.” — Robert Moskowitz
140. “Maybe I’m corny, but I’m a big believer in second chances.” — Jeff Ross
Second Chances Quotes To Help You Become Better
141. “Tomorrow is not a promise. Tomorrow is a second chance.” ― J.R. Rim
142. “You don’t need to wait for that second chance, because every second is a chance to change your life for the better.” ― Jeanette Coron
143. “Sometimes, some people and some situations deserve a second chance.” ― Germany Kent
144. “The thing about second chances is we always walk into them assuming we’ll feel better, when nine times out of ten things get worse before the ever get better.” ― Rachel Van Dyken
145. “The wonderful thing about second chances is that they exist.” ― Felice Stevens
146. “I will accept my second chance for a truer, simpler and more sacred life.” ― Holly Elissa Bruno
147. “May your days abound with second chances and your heart be strong and vulnerable enough to choose the unseen and the unknown.” ― Holly Elissa Bruno
148. “Second chance I do not fear the destination it is the journey that creates the image unclear.” ― R. William Standish
149. “Can the lie you’ve lived before today—get one last second chance?” ― Kurt Philip Behm
150. “I’ve seen a lot of real out-of-line attitudes since I have been in the WWF and those people are still there or are getting a second or third chance or something like that.” ― Jerry Lawler
Second Chances Quotes To Make Things Right
151. “For every woman who’s ever wondered about the path not taken, Fenton and Steinke mine—with tremendous humor and insight—the mixed blessing of unexpected second chances.” — Emma McLaughlin
152. “Quite honestly, most people are quick to “write someone off.” But our God is a God of the second chance. Learn from One who is patient with you, and you’ll learn to be patient with others.” — Woodrow M. Kroll
153. “I find I’ve always been judgmental about comedy (laughs) and it’s hard to turn that off, really. But what constant exposure to live comedy does is it makes you give people a second chance.” — Scott Aukerman
154. “We’re not willing to give black leaders second chances because, in most cases, we’re not willing to give them first chances.” — Al Sharpton
155. “Suffice to say, many women find their first appearance on a comedy panel show to be their last. Second chances seem to be given less often to the female of the species.” — Jo Brand
156. “Winning that first game was so important; my mother always said that the first game of the second set was the chance to keep it going if you were ahead or change things if you were behind.” — Tracy Austin
157. “The book, Max on Life, is really kind of a second chance to answer these questions.” — Max Lucado
158. “I’m afraid there are no replays or second chances in amateur or professional golf, and that’s the way it should be.” — Rory McIlroy
159. “In America, we love to give people second chances too – as long as you admit you were wrong and come back and do it the right way.” — Jim Courier
160. “Like everyone else in this world, I have had struggles. There’s disappointment and obstacles in everybody’s life. I feel like I was writing ‘Second Chance’ not just for myself, but also for the people who have struggled.” — El DeBarge
Second Chances Quotes To Give it Another Try
161. “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” ― Nelson Mandela
162. “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ― C.S. Lewis
163. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” ― Buddha
164. “We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future.” ― Steve Maraboli
165. “Every failure is a step to success.” ― William Whewell
166. “The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.” ― Harry Golden
167. “Part of being human is that we can’t go back, we can only hope that if we come across that moment again we’ll do it the right way.” ― Jesse Lacey
168. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” ― Winston Churchill
169. “I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot, and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” ― Michael Jordan
170. “The greatest mistake you can make in life is continually fearing you will make one.” ― Elbert Hubbard
What did you learn from these quotes on second chances?
Most of us improve ourselves because of the mistakes we’ve made in life.
If we are never given a second chance to prove ourselves, then in some ways, that makes life not worth living.
Sure, not everything has to be forgiven all the time.
But we can always learn to start new no matter what has happened until that point.
Throughout life, we should always reflect on our mistakes and think about ways we can improve.
Then we can use those experiences to embrace opportunities and make positive changes for the future.
These quotes on second chances will hopefully inspire you to take life by the horns and give that “thing” another go!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these second chance quotes?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section.
January 27, 2023 5:00 AM EST