These second chances quotes will inspire you to take life by the horns and give that goal another go.
Humans are…well, only human. We may not get everything right the first time, the second time, the third time, or even the hundredth time. But that’s why it’s important to have a second chance at something.
What would life be without second chances?
All of us have made mistakes at some point in our lives, but if all was lost after, we’d have no motivation to try anything ever again. While you are by no means ever required to give a person another chance, just think of the times that life or other people have given you a second chance.
Perhaps these second chances quotes will motivate you to keep trying at that goal you have, the love you lost, or the opportunities you missed out on. Or maybe they will inspire you to move on to the next stage in your life!
Quotes on second chances in life
1. “Thank God you are still alive for many have died and are dying as I speak. You still have the opportunity to change and make things right whilst those that have died wish for that second chance.” — Alexander Serebryakov
2. “If you ever get a second chance in life for something, you’ve got to go all the way.” — Lance Armstrong
3. “If you are still breathing, you have a second chance.” — Oprah Winfrey
4. “Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.” — Mary Tyler Moore
5. “We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance.” — Harrison Ford
6. “This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the second chance were offered me.” — Burtrand Russell
7. “If there’s even a slight chance at getting something that will make you happy, risk it. Life’s too short and happiness is too rare.” — A. R. Lucas
8. “I will forever believe in second chances and forgiveness, because if it weren’t for those two things I would and should be dead.” — Dedrick D. L. Pitter
9. “God always offers us a second chance in life.” — Paulo Coelho
Second chances quotes about love
10. “Everyone has a past. I have mine, you have yours, and we have ours. No matter what it takes, I will prove to you that our past, no matter how hurtful, didn’t ruin the future we could have.” — Melissa Foster
11. “All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.” — Mae West
12. “I know people will call me stupid for this. But Love, I can still see the truth in your lonely eyes. I can see the long lost stars in the corner of your eyes – you know that the stars are my weakness. I see the boundless hopes of wanting me back into your life and that’s why I’m coming back to you.” — Martin Manuel
13. “Sometimes things make more sense the second time around. People change, you change and the universe changes, if we keep ourselves confined to first chances only, we will truly miss out on some of the most beautiful things in life.” — Rania Naim
14. “I’ve been with my husband for seven years. With my husband and my son, I get my second chance in life to be loved and be happy.” — Tonya Harding
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of husband quotes to make him feel appreciated.
15. “Because when you finally find the one against all odds, you give him your best and let the magic of the world carry the rest.” ― E. Mellyberry
16. “But if something was really important, fate made sure it somehow came back to you and gave you another chance… Events conspired to bring you back to where you’d been. It was what you did then that made all the difference: it was all about potential.” — Sarah Dessen
17. “Once you stop being in love with someone completely, that’s when you should check out of the relationship…But when you fall in love with someone a second time it means that you’re seeing them with a fresh pair of eyes. You’re re-remembering all the things that turned you on to them in the first place.” — Madison Moore
18. “Because fate has a funny way of mending things back together. I mean you are here and I am here, and we’ll find each other again, that is, if that’s the way it’s supposed to be. so if you believe I believe.” — R.M Drake
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of fate quotes that will remind you to take each day one at a time.
Quotes on second chances and opportunities
19. “Having a second chance makes you want to work even harder.” — Tia Mowry
20. “I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as making a life. I’ve learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.” — Maya Angelou
21. “When you are on your last straw, that means you have one more opportunity, use it to not give up doing good.” ― Hannah Garrison
22. “Opportunities multiply as they are seized.” — Sun Tzu
23. “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” — Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Maya Angelou quotes celebrating success, love & life.
24. “Second chances do come your way. Like trains, they arrive and depart regularly. Recognizing the ones that matter is the trick.” — Jill A. Davis
25. “There’s nothing as exciting as a comeback – seeing someone with dreams, watching them fail, and then getting a second chance.” — Rachel Griffiths
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of comeback quotes to help you bounce back.
26. “We all make mistakes, everybody should be given a second chance.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
27. “If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won’t need a third.” — Pete Rose
28. “Don’t think there are no second chances. Life always offers you a second chance… It’s called “tomorrow’.” — Nicholas Sparks
29. “Sometimes in life you’re not always given a second chance, but if you do, take advantage of it, and go out with a bang!” — Aquaria
30. “Sometimes goodbye is a second chance.” — Shinedown
31. “Miracles were just second chances if you really thought about it — second chances when all hope was lost.” — Kaya Mclaren
Second chances quotes that will inspire you to take life by the horns
32. “That is what life is about. We do not get redos, but we do get second chances.” — Jeffrey Fry
33. “Chance is not a word to toss in the air. It’s a word to take in, a word to give yourself.” — Michelle Muriel
34. “Not everyone gets a second chance. If you do get one, take advantage of it because it’s a gift, and it may be something better than you had before!” — Nishan Panwar
35. “When God gives you a second chance, it’s not something you take for granted.” — Lane Kiffin
36. “We all deserve second chances, but not for the same mistake.” — Thabiso Owethu Xabanisa
37. “They say everyone needs a second chance. I am willing to give you one provided you are ready to accept it.” — Nidhi Saini
38. “Give people a second chance, but not a third.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
39. “Sometimes life gives you a second chance, or even two! Not always, but sometimes. It’s what you do with those second chances that counts.” — Dave Wilson
40. “People do make mistakes and I think they should be punished. But they should be forgiven and given the opportunity for a second chance. We are human beings.” — David Millar
41. “I believe in second chances, but I don’t believe in third or fourth chances.” — Selena Gomez
Second chances quotes on learning from the past
42. “A second chance doesn’t mean anything if you didn’t learn from your first.” — Anurag Prakash Ray
43. “Let tomorrow be your second chance to prove that you are better than today and yesterday.” — Ritu Ghatourey
44. “A second chance doesn’t mean you’re in the clear. In many ways, it is the more difficult thing. Because a second chance means that you have to try harder. You must rise to the challenge without the blind optimism of ignorance.” — Ling Ma
45. “If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down.” — Mary Pickford
46. “Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
47. “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” — Carl Bard
48. “Whatever problems we had back then don’t exist anymore. It’s why we have this second chance, and we can’t throw it away.” — Michelle Maddow
49. “Success lies in one’s ability to learn from mistakes.” ― Dr Prem Jagyasi
50. “There is no going back in life, no return, no second chance. I cannot call back the spoken word or the accomplished deed.” ― Daphne Du Maurier
More second chances quotes and sayings
51. “Know that you get second chances so that you may change the art of your interaction, not so that others might finally treat you with the loving respect you deserve and you do deserve loving respect.” – Alexandra Katehakis
52. “Her life was her major disappointment, her mistakes carved into every premature line in her face, but I wasn’t going to let her use my life as her second chance.” – Malorie Blackman
53. “First impression must be impressive because there’s not a second chance for making a first impression.” – Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
54. “Don’t waste your time giving some a second chance, when there is someone better out there waiting for their first.” – Nitya Prakash
55. “If love finds you again, don’t fight it. Don’t let grief hold you back. Love is a risk. There are no guarantees. But, in the end, it is always, always worth it.” – J.L. Berg
56. “There is always at least one person wondering if someone who has never loved them still loves them.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
57. “I can’t tell whether a revived man would appreciate his second chance or yearn for the stolen serenity.” – Ahmed Mostafa
58. “No one can claim perfection, that’s why everyone needs a second chance ad infinitum.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
59. “If you fail today there is always tomorrow to try again. You always have that second chance tomorrow.” – Avina Celeste
60. “Life is giving us a second chance to right our wrongs. But we can’t if we don’t start with the truth.” – Zøe Haslie
What did you learn from these quotes on second chances?
Most of us improve ourselves because of the mistakes we’ve made in life. If we are never given a second chance to prove ourselves, then in some ways, that makes life not worth living. Sure, not everything has to be forgiven all the time. But we can always learn to start new in some way, no matter what has happened up until that point.
Throughout life, we should always be reflecting on our mistakes and think about ways we can do better. Then we can use those experiences to embrace opportunities and make positive changes for the future. These quotes on second chances will hopefully inspire you to take life by the horns and give that “thing” another go!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these second chances quotes? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section.
March 2, 2020 7:00 AM EST