This article shares some easy things you can do to nourish your soul whenever you’re feeling lost or down and out.
We all have tough times.
Times when it appears nothing good will come our way again, and it can start to feel overwhelming and like we’ve lost control.
Not only can good habits help you out of hard situations, but taking time to nourish your soul each day will help you make life easier for yourself and inspire you to be your best self daily.
Keep reading to discover my top 10 favorite ways to nourish your soul!
#1 Way to Nourish Your Soul: Do a Healthy Purge
Letting go of anything that no longer holds value to you emotionally, spiritually, and physically is a great way to nourish your soul.
You’ll be left with the people and things that make you feel happiest, loved, and supported.
To begin, here are some areas where it might be helpful to clear out some of the clutter:
- Clothing that doesn’t fit or you haven’t worn in over a year
- Acquaintances or friends who aren’t supportive, kind, or loving toward you
- Food, drugs, or alcohol that is impeding your happy, healthy life
- Papers and information you will not need and are just gathering dust
#2. Just Breathe
This is an action we take, whether or not we think about it.
But in this situation, I’m referring to consciously breathing to reap it’s many benefits, both physical and emotional.
Breathing releases toxins, increases muscle, and strengthens your immune system.
Conscious breathing also helps you focus, feel less stressed, and relax your muscles.
However, there is an art form of breathing properly, so you get the maximum benefits:
- Inhale in through your nose and out through your mouth
- Allow your belly to expand
- Hold your breath for at least three seconds before exhaling
- Repeat as often as necessary
The more you consciously breathe deeply, the better you will feel.
#3. Spend Time in Nature
Nature also looks and smells amazing.
What’s great is you can find some form of nature no matter where you are (even keeping a plant in your house will help!).
Plus, there’s a way for everyone to reap its benefits no matter what their situation is:
- Sunbathing: Whether you enjoy the sun in your backyard, through your bedroom window, or at the beach, sunbathing can help you relax and allow your troubles to melt away. Even 5-20 minutes of sunlight daily can help you feel better. It boosts your vitamin levels as well.
- Gardening: Some people love digging in the dirt and being one with nature. Plant a garden or start by keeping a plant for your home. You’ll immediately feel less stressed when you look at it.
- Outdoor Sports: Go hiking, swimming, skiing, canoeing, horseback riding, playing soccer, doing tai chi, or taking a walk. Whatever you do, do it outside and reap the benefits of nature.
- Wildlife Watching: Whether it’s birds, deer, or butterflies, watching nature in action is a really great way to unwind and relax.
#4 Way to Nourish Your Soul: Eat Real Food
Do you know what’s actually in processed foods?
Can you pronounce half of it?
Real food gives you energy and helps keep you healthy.
It will also probably make it harder for you to lose weight and can cost you a lot more in doctor’s bills.
If you really want to nourish your soul, nourish your body with real food as well:
- Eat fruits and vegetables
- Avoid sugar (except the sugar found in fruit)
- Drink more water – it flushes out toxins, hydrates you, and helps you feel fuller for longer
#5. Exercise Regularly
Nourishing your soul is about including activities that engage the mind and body.
Exercise is great for enjoying all these at the same time.
The great part about exercise is that an activity is available for someone at every level of fitness and capability.
Exercises like stretching, tai chi, or chair aerobics can be highly beneficial for those with little energy or who have difficulty with certain movements.
Meanwhile, those with a lot of energy to burn may find running or basketball to be more suited for them.
The fact remains that the more often and regularly you exercise your body, the better your mind and soul will feel.
Keep in mind:
- Don’t go overboard: Start out slow and build up
- A little goes a long way – you don’t have to dedicate an hour each day – even 15 minutes of daily exercise will increase your energy and happiness levels
- Find something you truly enjoy doing, and it will help you stick to your goals
- Find a friend or hire a coach if you need additional support
#6. Spend Time with People Who make You Happy and Support You
Friends and relatives are great, as are meet-ups and support groups.
Ask someone you enjoy being with to watch a funny movie with you, go for a walk, or just talk on the phone.
These simple steps can go a long way toward feeling happier.
We often just want to feel as though we are being heard and loved, no matter what.
So hang on to those people in your life who can do that for you.
They are worth their weight in gold and will always help you remember why you’re such an amazing person.
If that doesn’t nourish your soul, I don’t know what will.
- Stay away from people who don’t support you
- Be with people who make you feel safe rather than judged
- Try a support group if you don’t feel you have people to rely on for support
- Adopt a pet. While humans may be flawed, a pet will never judge you and can be a great resource for fun, love, and companionship
#7 Way to Nourish Your Soul: Meditate
Being in the moment is a central theme that has been resonating in this article.
It’s because the present is really all we have.
When we take a few moments to be still, listen to our own thoughts, or even become as thoughtless as possible, it helps.
A stillness comes over your body, mind, and spirit, allowing you to let everything go.
Even a moment of meditation can have huge benefits.
The longer you meditate and the more often you do it, the better, more relaxed, and more present you will feel.
- Focus on your breath, not your thoughts
- Allow your thoughts to come and then allow them to leave just as easily and return to focusing on the breath
- Find a comfortable position. If you are sitting, make sure your back is straight
- Find a safe, quiet space to meditate in to ensure you can focus and relax. It can be anywhere, including outside.
#8. Read Inspirational Books, Watch Happy, Inspirational Movies
Think back to when you were a child going to bed at night.
You were tucked in and read a nighttime story before falling sound asleep.
You probably fell asleep so quickly because you felt safe and relaxed.
That can still happen.
Reading or watching someone else experiencing trials and tribulations – even if they are fictional – can help motivate anyone who feels stuck or down on their luck.
- Choose something with a positive message to help you stay positive yourself
- Do not push yourself to finish a book or movie you aren’t enjoying. Instead, find another book or movie that might resonate with you more
- Laughing is a great way to release stress and feel happier, so try a comedy
- Try to avoid movies with a lot of violence in them. Your brain thinks it’s watching it for real, and you’ll find yourself feeling even more stressed.
#9. Write Down Your Thoughts, Worries, and Prayers
Writing your feelings is a great way to nourish your soul!
It’s like free therapy, and it can last as long as you can stand to write.
Pouring out your feelings, wishes, hopes, and dreams on paper can make them seem more real.
It may also help you plan out how to achieve them.
Meanwhile, getting your feelings out onto paper can help you let go of or sort out a nasty, frustrating situation.
- Keep a journal near where you want to write the most, so it’s nearby when you feel inspired
- Write every single day or as often as possible
- Write for a specific amount of time, such as 10 minutes, just for creative purposes and see what comes out
- Keep a journal near your bed and write your dreams as soon as you wake up in the morning, as they often can be very revealing about issues you’re working out
Giving back to others is a great way to nourish your soul.
What’s also great is that there are so many ways you can give back, whether with your time, energy, or money.
There are also thousands of charities to choose from.
You can always start your own if you don’t like any of them.
- Find a well-organized charity
- Find one that works with your schedule – do not over-commit and then not show up
- Choose a charity where your skills will be best utilized
- Choose one that focuses on issues you care about
To be Happy and Healthy, Never Forget to Nourish Your Soul
It might sound pretty simple, but it’s essential to remain balanced in life.
You can try the suggestions above or think of your own ways.
Share what you like to do to nourish your soul in the comment section, or tell me what you would add to this list!
I would love to hear from you!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
To achieve success, you need to have self-preservation. Here are the four important factors to include in your self-preservation plan.
‘Aha moments’ offer us guidance and freedom when we need it most. Read these aha moments to help you live a happy life with minimal stress!
Love random facts? Then, you will love this list of exciting information about everyday objects that could, one day, save your life.
Tired of NOT reaching goals? Here are the five factors that are getting in your way. Know how to combat them for ultimate success.
Check out these related quote articles:
Enjoy this celebration of beautiful people on the inside with these beautiful soul quotes!
These empowering quotes will refuel your motivation and get you back on track.
This “sleep quotes” collection will help you appreciate good rest and relaxation.
Do you know that it’s time to make changes to your health, but you struggle with finding the motivation to do it? These health quotes can help.