Is the movie American Psycho really based on a novel?
The answer is yes, and not just any novel, but one of the most banned books of all time!
If you have read the 1991 novel or seen the movie, which stars Christian Bale, then you might understand why.
In Germany, they deemed the book “harmful to minors.”
It also had many sales restrictions placed on it between 1995-2000.
In Australia, they do not sell the book to anyone under the age of 18 and must be shrink-wrapped!
The movie was released in 2000 and has a mix of reviews.
Some critics hated it, some loved it, and the same could be said of fans.
People either thought it was a terrible misogynistic, violent, and anti-feminist film.
Others find it a work of genius, and it has quite the cult following.
Just what is it about the film that people take issue with?
When you get to the section with inappropriate (violent and sexual) American Psycho quotes you might understand.
The plot, character development, and twist make for a great story that leaves you wondering what just happened.
However, it seems wrong to glorify a mentally ill serial killer who clearly hates women and appears to be going insane because of the capitalistic nature of his life.
Keep reading to learn some interesting facts about the movie.
Don’t forget to also check out these The Silence of the Lambs quotes that will give you goosebumps.
American Psycho quotes about killing and serial killers
1. “I’m into, uh, well, murders and executions, mostly.” ― Patrick Bateman
2. “Duct tape. I need it for… taping something.” ― Patrick Bateman
3. “Why don’t you get a job? If you’re so hungry, why don’t you get a job?” ― Patrick Bateman
4. “All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit but look great.” ― Patrick Bateman
5. “Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do?” ― Patrick Bateman
6. “I like to cut up women. In case you didn’t know, I’m crazy.” ― Patrick Bateman
7. “I like to dissect girls. Did you know I’m utterly insane?” ― Patrick Bateman
8. “You’re a fucking ugly bitch. I want to stab you to death and then play around with your blood.” ― Patrick Bateman
9. “There’s no use in denying it: this has been a bad week. I’ve started drinking my own urine.” ― Patrick Bateman
10. “Did you know that Ted Bundy’s first dog was a collie named Lassie?” ― Patrick Bateman
Inappropriate American Psycho quotes
11. “A good personality consists of a chick with a little hard body, who will satisfy all sexual demands without being too slutty about things, and who essentially will keep her dumb f*cking mouth shut.” ― David Van Patten
12. “The only girls with good personalities who are smart or maybe funny or halfway intelligent or talented, though god knows what the f*ck that means, are ugly chicks.” ― Craig McDermott
13. “I want you to clean your vagina.” ― Patrick Bateman
14. “Well, he was probably a closet homosexual who did a lot of cocaine. That whole Yale thing.” ― Patrick Bateman
15. “People should always try to look their best because someone will always be thinner and better looking.” ― Patrick Bateman
16. “I don’t want you to get drunk, but that’s a very expensive glass of Chardonnay you’re NOT drinking there. It isn’t poisoned.” ― Patrick Bateman
American Psycho quotes from the rest of the cast
17. “Well, Halberstram, I could tell you… but then I’d have to kill ya.” ― Paul Allen
18. “Oh, my God. Bateman, do you want me to fry you up some fucking potato pancakes? Some latkes?” ― Craig McDermott
19. “What, your kidding, right? You look great… so fit… and thin.” ― Jean
20. “Then maybe we shouldn’t go out to dinner. I wouldn’t want you to lose your willpower.” ― Jean
21. “But your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends. I don’t think it would work. You have a little something…” ― Evelyn Williams
22. “You’re inhuman.” ― Evelyn Williams
23. “Make someone happy. Have you ever wanted to?” ― Jean
24. “You hate that job, anyway. I don’t see why you don’t just quit.” ― Evelyn Williams
25. “If they have a great personality and they’re not great looking… then who f*cking cares?” ― Craig McDermott
Which of these American Psycho quotes is your favorite?
Christian Bale does a masterful job at playing Patrick Bateman, the titular character in American Psycho.
Bateman is suffering from a psychotic personality disorder and demonstrates many qualities of schizophrenia.
Did you know though, at one point Lionsgate replaced the director and Bale?
They brought on a new director, and the world almost got to know Patrick Bateman through Leonardo DiCaprio.
When DiCaprio left American Psycho to film The Beaches, the studio brought back the original director and Bateman.
The theme of the book and the movie revolves around how capitalistic and materialistic people have become.
Literary critic Jeffrey W. Hunter claims American Psycho is largely a critique of the “shallow and vicious aspects of capitalism.”
What did you think of the book or the movie?
Do you think the book deserved to be banned?
Do you believe, like the author of the book Bret Easton Ellis, that the movie “didn’t need to be made?”
Share your thoughts in the comment section below, along with any other favorite American Psycho quotes and lines.
August 4, 2022 5:00 AM EST