Pick up some new skills with our team leader quotes.
Learn more about how empathy is the key to effective organizing with our team leadership quotes.
What is team leadership?
Team leadership is the ability to work with a diverse group by helping them utilize the best of their abilities to reach a goal or mission.
Effective team leaders have the following traits:
Empathy is essential for team leadership
Effective team leaders can put themselves in the shoes of the team they lead.
A good leader is able to consider the needs of those they lead and balance those needs with the mission or goal.
Leadership is a gentle balance of knowing when to say yes and no.
Everyone has a voice and should be heard, but a good leader knows where to draw the line.
UK Prime Minister James Callaghan once said, “A leader must have the courage to act against an expert’s advice.”
What is the difference between a leader and a manager?
Mr. Romeo Garcia is a master educator from Oakland, California.
He has helped open schools in different states and has decades of experience as a school leader, principal, and educational activist.
I had the pleasure of working under his guidance as a teacher.
When asked about the difference between a leader and a manager, he told me the following:
“A manager wants to control a group of people to achieve a goal, and a leader wants to inspire and motivate a group to achieve a goal.”
He followed that up with, “I am a leader, not a manager.”
I know firsthand how leadership differs from management.
It’s easier for students to complete tasks with the teacher hovering over them, managing their every move.
The above scenario is not learning; it’s management.
As a classroom teacher, I know learning occurs once a student can do something of their own volition, not when they are managed into doing so.
Authentic teaching, like learning, comes through inspiration, not management.
The true mark of mastery is when students demonstrate the skill to complete an objective by themselves.
Influential team leaders help people accomplish goals through their own merit.
To learn more, check out our team leadership quotes below.
Short team leader quotes about the ability to direct others
These quotes remind us why leaders find solutions.
1. “Leaders will be those who empower others.” — Bill Gates
2. “Education is the mother of leadership.” — Wendell Willkie
3. “Leaders think and talk about the solutions.” — Brian Tracy
4. “Leadership is an action, not a position.” — Donald McGannon
5. “You don’t have to hold a position in order to be a leader.” — Henry Ford
6. “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.” — Steve Jobs
7. “Leaders should strive for authenticity over perfection.” — Sheryl Sandberg
8. “Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.” — Warren Bennis
9. “If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.” — Booker T. Washington
10. “A leader must have the courage to act against an expert’s advice.” — James Callaghan
The best team leader quotes for aspiring leaders
Leadership comes naturally to some; for others, it takes practice.
11. “Leaders aren’t born, they are made.” — Vince Lombardi
12. “Leadership is something you earn, something you’re chosen for.” — Ben Roethlisberger
13. “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” — Peter F. Drucker
14. “In the end, a great leader is only known by the impact he or she has on others.” — Jim Stovall
15. “Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.” — Dianne Feinstein
16. “One of the most important things for any leader is to never let anyone else define who you are.” — Ginni Rometty
17. “No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself, or to get all the credit for doing it.” — Andrew Carnegie
18. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” — John Quincy Adams
19. “Strong and cohesive teams thrive when leaders highlight how much they all have in common, not how much he or she stands above from the crowd.” — Moira Alexander
20. “Outstanding leaders go out of the way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it’s amazing what they can accomplish.” — Sam Walton
The top team leader quotes for reaching people
A leader must know how to speak to the many different sides of their team.
21. “Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers.” — Gen. Colin Powell
22. “A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd.” — Max Lucado
23. “A person always doing his or her best becomes a natural leader, just by example.” — Joe DiMaggio
24. “The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been.” ― Henry Kissinger
25. “True leadership stems from individuality that is honestly and sometimes imperfectly expressed.” — Sheryl Sandberg
26. “To have long-term success as a coach or in any position of leadership, you have to be obsessed in some way.” — Pat Riley
27. “Each group and each youngster is different. As a leader or coach, you get to know what they need.” — Mike Krzyzewski
28. “You can’t come in yelling, ‘I’m your leader!’ If it happens, it’s because the other guys respect you.” — Ben Roethlisberger
29. “Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you’re in control, they’re in control.” — Tom Landry
30. “The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things.” — Ronald Reagan
Famous team leader quotes from influential figures
Check out this list of team leader quotes from some of the world’s most successful leaders.
31. “A leader is a dealer in hope.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
32. “In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still.” — Harry Truman
33. “Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” — John F. Kennedy
34. “A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
35. “I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles, but today it means getting along with people.” — Mahatma Gandhi
36. “Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better.” — Harry Truman
37. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” — John Quincy Adams
38. “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.” — Rosalynn Carter
39. “To be a leader, you have to make people want to follow you, and nobody wants to follow someone who doesn’t know where he is going.” — Joe Namath
40. “If ‘leadership’ has come to be known as something much bigger than us, aligned to changing the world, then we are spending way too much time celebrating things that hardly anyone can do and not celebrating things we can do every day.” — Drew Dudley
Team leadership quotes and sayings about life
We close our list with these wise quotes about team leadership.
41. “To lead people, walk beside them.” — Lao Tzu
42. “As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence” — Lao Tzu
43. “The art of leadership is saying no, not yes. It is very easy to say yes.” — Tony Blair
44. “When the best leader’s work is done, the people say, ‘We did it ourselves!’” — Lao Tzu
45. “Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
46. “I think one of the keys to leadership is recognizing that everybody has gifts and talents. A good leader will learn how to harness those gifts toward the same goal.” — Ben Carson
47. “Leadership consists of nothing but taking responsibility for everything that goes wrong and giving your subordinates credit for everything that goes well.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
48. “A leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.” — Nelson Mandela
49. “There is a troublesome humor some men have, that if they may not lead, they will not follow; but had rather a thing were never done, than not done their own way, tho’ other ways very desirable.” — William Penn
50. “All of the great leaders have had one characteristic in common: it was the willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of their people in their time. This, and not much else, is the essence of leadership.” — John Kenneth Galbraith
Influential leaders know when to lead and when to follow
Leadership is a co-creation that requires flexibility on both sides.
What is your favorite team leadership quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Regular – By practicing the tips in this article, you’ll be a leader who stands out both in your work and personal life.
Any successful entrepreneur will tell you it’s not always an easy journey, but these tips will help you along the way.
There are unlimited ways to appreciate someone. Here are some simple ways to make others feel special and improve their world.
Discover why hard work beats talent and why it’s the sustaining factor that will push you to the top of the heap and keep you there!
Check out these related quote articles:
Leading by example is the mark of a great leader. The benefits of leading by example are many, as these lead by example quotes show.
Lead quotes are inspirational and can give you a hint to be successful in life.
It’s a blessing when a person of power is able to inspire so many people with their ideas, words, and actions.
These servant leadership quotes will help you better understand what this leadership philosophy is all about.