No matter what character he played, Robin Williams’ effortless charismatic charm could make anyone laugh. But there was so much more to this man that the world grew to love, and today many of us still mourn his passing.
Robin McLaurin Williams was an American stand-up comedian and actor who was known for his great improvisational skills.
He was born in Chicago on July 21, 1951, and started as a stand-up comedian in San Francisco and Los Angeles in the mid-1970s. He had distinguished career in both stand-up comedy and feature film acting.
Throughout his career, Robin Williams received various awards including two Emmy Awards, seven Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and four Grammy Awards.
On August 11, 2014, the world was shocked to learn that Robin Williams had committed suicide at his home in California. He was only 63 years old.
Robin Williams tapped into his Everyday Power to achieve great success in his acting and comedy career. He inspires us with his touching words, inspirations, and incisive statements.
Inspirational Robin Williams quotes
1. “You’re only given a little spark of madness and if you lose that, you’re nothing.” – Robin Williams
2. “Comedy can be a cathartic way to deal with personal trauma.” – Robin Williams
3. “The genie was only supposed to be a few lines, but I asked, ‘Do you mind if I try something?’ and went off to the recording studio. I emerged, 22 hours later, with a stream-of-consciousness improvisation in 41 characters.” – Robin Williams
4. “It’s great to play … Who wants to be deeply serious all the time? That would suck, I think. But I’m just now getting to the point where you realize, ‘Wait, you don’t have to play all the time.’ It’s exhausting, and you have to save something for when you come home. [My ex-wife] Marsha gets asked that all the time: ‘He must be really wild at home!’ The truth is that if I were, she wouldn’t be alive. That type of freneticism is insane.” – Robin Williams
5. “Stand-up is the place where you can do things that you could never do in public. . . Once you step on stage you’re licensed to do that. It’s an understood relationship. You walk on stage, it’s your job. Then it’s a question of what can you get away with.” – Robin Williams
6. “You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to.” — from “Good Will Hunting” – Robin Williams
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Good Will Hunting quotes to help you realize your potential
7. “The human spirit is more powerful than any drug and that is what needs to be nourished, with work, play, friendship, family. These are the things that matter.” – Robin Williams
8. “What’s wrong with death, sir? What are we so mortally afraid of? Why can’t we treat death with a certain amount of humanity and dignity, and decency, and God forbid, maybe even humor. Death is not the enemy, gentlemen. If we’re going to fight a disease, let’s fight one of the most terrible diseases of all, indifference.” – Robin Williams
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of funny Talladega Nights quotes.
Robin Williams Quotes on Life
9. “Imagining something is better than remembering something.” – Robin Williams
10. You know what music is? God’s little reminder that there’s something else besides us in this universe; harmonic connection between all living beings, everywhere, even the stars.– Robin Williams
11. Reality . . . what a concept’– Robin Williams
12. Some people say Jesus wasn’t Jewish. Of course he was Jewish! Thirty years old, single, lives with his parents, come on. He works in his father’s business, his mom thought he was God’s gift, he’s Jewish. Give it up– Robin Williams
13. Never fight with an ugly person, they’ve got nothing to lose’– Robin Williams
14. You know, you get that tattoo of barbed wire when you’re 18, but by the time you’re 80, it’s a picket fence’– Robin Williams
15. My battles with addiction definitely shaped how I am now. They really made me deeply appreciate human contact. And the value of friends and family, how precious that is’– Robin Williams
16. People think they know you. They expect you to be literally like you are on TV or in the movies, bouncing off the walls. A woman in an airport once said to me, “Be zany!” People always want zany, goofy sh-t from me. It takes a lot of energy to do that. If you do that all the time, you’ll burn out’– Robin Williams
17. Death is nature’s way of saying, “Your table is ready”– Robin Williams
18. People say satire is dead. It’s not dead; it’s alive and living in the White House– Robin Williams
19. Everyone has these two visions when they hold their child for the first time. The first is your child as an adult saying “I want to thank the Nobel Committee for this award”. The other is “You want fries with that?”‘– Robin Williams
20. Being a functioning alcoholic is kind of like being a paraplegic lap dancer – you can do it, just not as well as the others, really’– Robin Williams
21. No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.” Dead Poets Society – Robin Williams
22. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.– Robin Williams
23. Please don’t worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you’re ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky, when the stars are strung across the velvety night, and when shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day, make a wish. Think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did.– Robin Williams
Don’t forget to also read these Dead Poets Society quotes that will make you think differently.
Robin Williams Quotes on Laughter
24. Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reasons.”– Robin Williams
25. “…That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?”– Robin Williams
26. Marriage is a triumph of imagination over intelligence– Robin Williams
27. “Sometimes it’s nobler to tell a small lie than to deliver a painful truth– Robin Williams
Robin Williams quotes
28. You know what music is – a harmonic connection between all living beings– Robin Williams
29. Self-reliance is the key to a vigorous life. A man must look inward to find his own answers– Robin Williams
30. Inside of you, there’s a fashion model just waiting to throw up.”– Robin Williams
31. “Make your life spectacular. I know I did.”– Robin Williams
32. Nobody takes a picture of something they want to forget– Robin Williams
33. “I believe in destiny. There must be a reason that I am as I am. There must be.”– Robin Williams
34. Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea – freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having.– Robin Williams
35. All of life is a coming home. Salesmen, secretaries, coal miners, beekeepers, sword swallowers, all of us. All the restless hearts of the world, all trying to find a way home– Robin Williams
36. For me, right now, the greatest thing is to take a moment and just breathe.– Robin Williams
37. You must strive to find your own voice, because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all.– Robin Williams
38. Taking it down just a little bit and traveling at the speed of life is a much easier journey.– Robin Williams
Robin Williams Quotes on Love
39. I have not thought about it, but when I die, just dance on my grave and water the plants with what you are drinking. Please do not clone me, because after a while your clone is not as bright as you are. – Robin Williams
40. I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel alone. – Robin Williams
41. Age makes you more confident. When you realize that it’s time now to just do things. When there’s not the pressure to perform on some level of expectations, there’s more to just explore.” – Robin Williams
42. What some folks call impossible is just stuff they haven’t seen before. – Robin Williams
43. There is still a lot to learn, and there is always great stuff out there. Even mistakes can be wonderful – Robin Williams
44. The world is your oyster. Never stop trying new things. – Robin Williams
45. Stop being afraid of getting older. With age comes wisdom and confidence. – Robin Williams
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of getting older quotes that will make you embrace the beauty in aging.
46. Being in the same room with people and creating something together is a good thing. – Robin Williams
47. I write on big yellow legal pads – ideas in outline form when I’m doing stand-up and stuff. It’s vivid that way. I can’t type it into an iPad – I think that would put a filter into the process. – Robin Williams
48. If Heaven exists, to know that there’s laughter, that would be a great thing. – Robin Williams
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of laughter quotes proving why it’s the best medicine.
49. Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they’ve got nothing to lose. – Robin Williams
50. What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong. – Robin Williams
More Robin Williams Quotes
51. “I’m sorry, if you were right, I’d agree with you.” – Robin Williams
52. “Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?” – Robin Williams
53. “Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party!'” – Robin Williams
54. “Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party.” – Robin Williams
55. “If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.” – Robin Williams
56. “Carpe per diem – seize the check.” – Robin Williams
57. “Reality is just a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs.” – Robin Williams
58. “Comedy is acting out optimism.” – Robin Williams
59. “Divorce is expensive. I used to joke they were going to call it ‘all the money,’ but they changed it to ‘alimony.’ It’s ripping your heart out through your wallet.” – Robin Williams
60. “I do believe in love; it’s wonderful – especially love third time around, it’s even more precious; it’s kind of amazing.” – Robin Williams
What is your favorite quote from Robin Williams?
Robin Williams was considered a “national treasure” by many in the entertainment industry and by the public. He inspired a new generation of stand-up comedians and he will also be remembered for the openness with which he spoke about his own life.
Hopefully, these quotes have helped you feel more liberated and motivated you to pursue your dreams.
Did you enjoy these Robin Williams quotes? What’s your favorite quote from him? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it. Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and fans.
March 10, 2021 6:00 AM EST