If you are interested in Roman history, you will love these Augustus Caesar quotes!
Augustus Caesar was born in what is now Rome, Italy, in 63 BC and died in Nola, Italy, in 14 AD at 75.
You might also like these related articles:
Augustus was also referred to as Octavian.
He became the first emperor of Rome in 27 BC and stayed in his position until he died in AD 14.
Augustus Caesar is considered one of the most outstanding leaders in human history.
He was the founder of the Roman Principate, the first phase of the Roman Empire.
Augustus’ reign followed that of his adoptive father, Julius Caesar, who ran the Roman Empire as a dictatorship instead of how Augustus ran the empire as a free Republic.
During his reign, one of Augustus’ accomplishments was establishing Italy.
Look at these Augustus Caesar quotes to learn more about the famous emperor.
Famous Augustus Caesar Quotes
Check out some of Augustus’ most famous quotes!
1. “Have I played the part well?” — Augustus Caesar
2. “I found Rome of clay; I leave it to you of marble.” — Augustus Caesar
3. “If you want a rainbow, you have to deal with the rain.” — Augustus Caesar
4. “Let us be satisfied if we can make people stop short at unkind words.” — Augustus Caesar
5. “Young men, listen to an old man to whom old men listened when he was young.” — Augustus Caesar
6. “We write our names in the sand: and then the waves roll in and wash them away.” — Augustus Caesar
7. “To seek to keep the established constitution unchanged argues a good citizen and a good man.” — Augustus Caesar
8. “I have never been overly concerned or obsessed with opinion polls or popularity polls. I think a leader who is, is a weak leader.” — Augustus Caesar
9. “Wars, both civil and foreign, I undertook throughout the world, on sea and land, and when victorious, I spared all citizens who sued for pardon.” — Augustus Caesar
10. “At the age of nineteen, on my own initiative and at my own expense, I raised an army by means of which I restored liberty to the republic, which had been oppressed by the tyranny of a faction.” — Augustus Caesar
Wise Augustus Caesar Quotes
Here are some of Augustus Caesar’s wisest quotes.
11. “I am a man of my word.” — Augustus Caesar
12. “Everyone wants to lead an extraordinary life.” — Augustus Caesar
13. “Whatever is done well enough is done quickly enough.” — Augustus Caesar
14. “Behold them, conquerors of the world, the toga-clad race of Romans!” — Augustus Caesar
15. “Bear with me the hope that when I die that the foundations which I have laid for its future government will stand firm and stable.” — Augustus Caesar
16. “Those who slew my father I drove into exile, punishing their deed by due process of law, and afterward, when they waged war upon the republic I twice defeated them in battle.” — Augustus Caesar
17. “May it be my privilege to have the happiness of establishing the commonwealth on a firm and secure basis and thus enjoy the reward which I desire, but only if I may be called the author of the best possible government.” — Augustus Caesar
The Best Augustus Caesar Quotes
Take a look at some of the best Augustus Caesar quotes!
18. “Make haste slowly.” — Augustus Caesar
19. “Practice, the master of all things.” — Augustus Caesar
20. “Nothing common can seem worthy of you.” — Augustus Caesar
21. “Better a cautious commander, and not a rash one.” — Augustus Caesar
22. “I’d always thought the world was a wish-granting factory.” — Augustus Caesar
23. “The tales of our exploits will survive as long as the human voice itself.” — Augustus Caesar
24. “Present a petition with as much hesitation as he would a penny to an elephant.” — Augustus Caesar
25. “The greatest impediments to changes in our traditional roles seem to lie not in the visible world of conscious intent, but in the murky realm of the unconscious mind.” — Augustus Caesar
What is Augustus’s Reign Known for?
Augustus Caesar restored the free Republic of Rome, and his reign was known for imperial peace as the Roman world was mainly free of large-scale fighting for over two centuries.
Augustus walked a fine line with the Senate and the public in driving a peaceful and prosperous empire, but never seemed to be trying to start a dictatorship.
Please share these Augustus Caesar Quotes with your friends and family and post any comments about Augustus in the comment section below.