Babe Ruth is often considered to be one of the best baseball players that ever lived.
The Babe Ruth quotes below discuss his upbringing, humor, and love of baseball.
What makes Babe Ruth a great baseball player?
Babe Ruth (born George Herman Ruth, Jr.) was born in 1895 in Baltimore, Maryland.
His love of baseball began in childhood.
He played for an all-boys reformatory: St. Mary’s Industrial School for Boys.
Ruth played for different teams in the MLB including the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, and the Boston Braves.
In his 22-season career, he was a seven-time World Series champion, two-time All-Star, and the home-run leader for twelve seasons.
Ruth was also a part of the inaugural class of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1936.
Enjoy the quotes from the Colossus of Clout below!
Don’t forget to also check out these baseball quotes for the inner child in you.
Powerful Babe Ruth quotes
1. “Who is richer? The man who is seen, but cannot see? Or the man who is not being seen, but can see?” – Babe Ruth
2. “The old dogs are going to do a lot of barking. But they’ve barked before. And you know—a barking dog seldom bites.” – Babe Ruth
3. “A man who works for another is not going to be paid any more than he is worth; you can bet on that. A man ought to get what he can earn. Don’t make any difference whether it’s running a farm, running a bank or running a show; a man who knows he’s making money for other people ought to get some of the profits he brings in. It’s business, I tell you.” – Babe Ruth
4. “My recent illness proved to me that I’ve reached the place now where I’ve got to take particularly good care of myself. A lot of the boys have been kidding me because they said that illness “scared me to death.” Frankly, it did scare me and I’m still scared. I hope to stay scared to the point where I never forget that taking care of myself is the most important thing in my life from now on.” – Babe Ruth
5. “Don’t be afraid to take advice. There’s always something new to learn.” – Babe Ruth
6. “You can bother me to autograph anything you want. When you quit bothering me to sign autographs, then I’ll know I’m through. Slip me the old apple and a pen. And tell ’em to keep on bothering me.” – Babe Ruth
7. “They can boo and hoot me all they want. That doesn’t matter to me. But when a fan calls insulting names from the grandstand and becomes abusive I don’t intend to stand for it.” – Babe Ruth
8. “If it wasn’t for baseball, I’d be in either the penitentiary or the cemetery.” – Babe Ruth
9. “A part of control is learning to correct your weaknesses.” – Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth quotes about baseball
10. “You just can’t beat the person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
11. “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” – Babe Ruth
12. “All ballplayers should quit when it starts to feel as if all the baselines run uphill.” – Babe Ruth
13. “It’s the old Babe on the old job—a ballplayer. It has been the only job I ever knew.” – Babe Ruth
14. “My idea of a real ballplayer is the fellow who can take the bad breaks with a grin and come up fighting.” – Babe Ruth
15. “Hack Wilson must have great wrist action, for no short, stocky guy is going to hit that many home runs without a lot of it.” – Babe Ruth
16. “I copied (Joe) Jackson’s style because I thought he was the greatest hitter I had ever seen, the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He’s the guy who made me a hitter.” – Babe Ruth
17. “I had only one superstition. I made sure to touch all the bases when I hit a home run.” – Babe Ruth
18. “Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.” – Babe Ruth
19. “The only real game, I think, in the world is baseball.” – Babe Ruth
20. “I decided to pick out the greatest hitter to watch and study, and (Joe) Jackson was good enough for me. I liked the way he kept his right foot forward, being a left-handed hitter, and his left foot back. That gave him more body and shoulder power than the average hitter has.” – Babe Ruth
21. “I’d give a year of my life if I could hit a home run on opening day of this great new park.” – Babe Ruth
22. “I’m glad that I’ve played every position on the team, because I feel that I know more about the game and what to expect of the other fellows. It’s a pity some of our critics hadn’t learned the game from every position.” – Babe Ruth
23. “Cobb is a prick. But he sure can hit. God Almighty, that man can hit.” – Babe Ruth
24. “I won’t be happy until we have every boy in America between the ages of six and sixteen wearing a glove and swinging a bat.” – Babe Ruth
25. “You know this baseball game of ours comes up from the youth – that means the boys. And after you’ve been a boy, and grow up to know how to play ball, then you come to the boys you see representing themselves today in our national pastime.” – Babe Ruth
Do you always give 100% effort?
When I’m pursuing my goals, I strive to think like Babe Ruth and give 100% effort.
Even if I fail, I know that I tried my hardest.
But when I’m giving my all, there’s a higher chance that I’ll reach the places that I want to go in life.
I challenge you to take Babe Ruth’s strategy on your goals.
Go big or go home.
If you go forth with all your might, you’ll never wonder, “What if?”
Which of these Babe Ruth quotes and sayings is your favorite?
What athlete should we feature next on Everyday Power?
Let us know your thoughts!
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST