We all know that baseball is America’s pastime. Baseball quotes come from far and wide – from players, from coaches, from fans – but the one thing that’s clear is how impactful the game can be on everyone involved.
There’s a lot of nostalgia involved when people talk about the game, but the one thing that’s for sure is that whether you’re playing or watching, baseball is a life changing experience.
What can we learn from baseball?
Many people compare baseball to life. It’s a game of teamwork, motivation, and love. It’s a timeless cultural icon, and people will be learning perseverance, respect, and team building from it for years to come.
These baseball quotes are here to bring the love of baseball into your life, make you feel like a kid again, and inspire you to keep running, hitting, and throwing, no matter what stage of life you’re in. For more inspiration, and a few laughs, check out these famous Yogi Berra quotes as well.
Baseball Quotes to Inspire Your Life
1. “Baseball is about talent, hard work, and strategy. But at the deepest level, it’s about love, integrity, and respect.” – Pat Gillick
2. “There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, or you can lose, or it can rain.” – Casey Stengel
3. “This is a great thing that’s happening in baseball. We don’t know if it will ever happen again.” – Mark McGwire
4. “Baseball is more than a game. It’s like life played out on a field.” – Juliana Hatfield
5. “I didn’t understand anything about playing baseball. I started playing, and it was enjoyable. Most of my life, I played with older people on my team, in my league. I learned a lot about life. Everyday in my life, I learned something new from somebody.” – Ernie Banks
6. “Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” – Bob Feller
7. “What you have to remember is that baseball isn’t a week or a month but a season—and a season is a long time.” – Chuck Tanner
8. “Baseball is a lot like life. It’s day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life.” –Ernie Harwell
9. “Baseball is a universe as large as life itself, and therefore all things in life, whether good or bad, whether tragic or comic, fall within its domain.” –Paul Auster
10. “In baseball, there’s always the next day.” – Ryne Sandberg
11. “To me, baseball has always been a reflection of life. Like life, it adjusts. It survives everything.” – Willie Stargell
12. “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra
13. “You could be a kid for as long as you want when you play baseball.” –Cal Ripken Jr.
Baseball Quotes to motivate you
14. “Baseball is a man maker.” – Al Spalding
15. “The great thing about baseball is there’s a crisis every day.” – Gabe Paul
16. “One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something.” – Nolan Ryan
17. “Doctors tell me I have the body of a thirty year old. I know I have the brain of a fifteen year old. If you’ve got both, you can play baseball.” – Pete Rose
18. “If you have a bad day in baseball, and start thinking about it, you will have 10 more.” – Sammy Sosa
19. “You can’t be afraid to make errors! You can’t be afraid to be naked before the crowd, because no one can ever master the game of baseball, or conquer it. You can only challenge it.” – Lou Brock
20. “Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game.” – Ted Williams
21. “I’m going to do my best to help the team play hard and help the team win… I’m just coming to play baseball.” – Asdrubal Cabrera
22. “Baseball is like driving, it’s the one who gets home safely that counts.” –Tommy Lasorda
23. “I stand by my belief that individual performances are the most important part of baseball.” – Earl Weaver
Also read these inspirational hockey quotes about hard work and team spirit
Baseball Quotes for the Love of the Game
24. “Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.” – Yogi Berra
25. “There are only five things you can do in baseball—run, throw, catch, hit, and hit with power.” – Leo Durocher
26. “Baseball is more than a game to me, it’s a religion.” – Bill Klem
27. “Playing baseball for a living is like having a license to steal.” – Pete Rose
28. “I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don’t think about it is when I’m playing it.” – Carl Yastrzemski
29. “Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand.” – Leo Durocher
30. “Baseball can be slow in many ways. The action starts with when the pitcher delivers the ball. But the action really starts when the crack of the bat happens.” – Cal Ripken Jr.
31. “There’s nothing to it. Baseball isn’t that tough to play.” – Red Schoendienst
32. “You have to have a lot of little boy in you to play baseball for a living.” –Roy Campanella
33. “In this game of baseball, you live by the sword and die by it. You hit and get hit. Remember that.” – Alvin Dark
34. “People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” – Rogers Hornsby
35. “In baseball, you don’t know nothing.” – Yogi Berra
36. “I chose baseball because to me baseball is the best game of all.” – Dave Winfield
37. “Baseball is one of the most beautiful games. It is. It is a very Zen-like game.” – Jim Jarmusch
38. “Baseball hasn’t forgotten me. I go to a lot of old-timers games and I haven’t lost a thing. I sit in the bullpen and let people throw things at me. Just like old times.” –Bob Uecker
39. “I owe baseball. Baseball don’t owe me a damn thing.” – Pete Rose
Baseball Quotes About Teamwork
40. “There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.” – Tommy Lasorda
41. “Baseball is not a sport you can achieve individually.” – Curt Schilling
42. “The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers.” – Earl Weaver
43. “There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all.” – Lou Gehrig
44. “Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success.” – Sparky Anderson
45. “No baseball pitcher would be worth a darn without a catcher who could handle the hot fastball.” – Casey Stengel
46. “My feeling is that when you’re managing a baseball team, you have to pick the right people to play and then pray a lot.” – Robin Roberts
47. “Baseball is a team game but, at the same time, it’s a very lonely game: unlike in soccer or basketball, where players roam around, in baseball everyone has their little plot of the field to tend. When the action comes to you, the spotlight is on you but no one can help you.” – Chad Harbach
48. “Baseball is an individual game, but it should never be a personal game.”- Pete Rose
49. “Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he’s losing; nobody wants to quit when you’re ahead.” – Jackie Robinson
50. “In baseball, you can’t kill the clock. You’ve got to give the other man his chance. That’s why this is the greatest game.” – Earl Weaver
51. “Baseball is a team sport played by individuals for themselves.” – Joe Torre
You might also like these soccer quotes from the world’s greatest stars.
More baseball quotes and sayings
52. “Baseball really is a glorified game of throw and catch. And if you don’t have guys who throw it really well, you can’t compete for long.” – Tucker Elliot
53. “Baseball may be a religion full of magic, cosmic truth, and the fundamental ontological riddles of our time, but it’s also a job.” – Bull Durham
54. “Baseball is the only thing I can give you that might be worth something in your lives.” – Michael Dault
55. “Baseball is a good thing. Always was, always will be.” – Stephen King
56. “Worrying about things you can’t control is a waste both on the baseball field and in life.” – Tom Swyers
57. “Baseball is also a game of balance.” – Stephen King
58. “Baseball is to our everyday experience what poetry often is to common speech — a slightly elevated and concentrated form.” – Thomas Boswell
59. “Baseball has so much history and tradition. You can respect it, or you can exploit it for profit, but it’s still being made all over the place, all the time.” – Michael Lewis
60. “The great thing about baseball is, I’ve heard a hundred statements beginning, ‘The great thing about baseball is.” – Jon Sindell
61. “Real ballplayers pass the stuffing by rolling it up in a ball and batting it across the table with a turkey leg.” – Tom Swyers
Did you enjoy these baseball quotes?
Baseball is a sport that’s impacted more lives than just those who have played it. The baseball quotes above encapsulate what the sport feels like for everyone involved.
Oftentimes, when someone plays baseball, they’ve played it their entire life. It becomes a part of them just as a partner, pet, or child would. Baseball is more than just America’s pastime—it’s life, and it’s symbolic of everything that’s significant, from teamwork to the importance of recreation.
How can baseball change a person’s life? Whether you’re a player, fan, or coach, baseball can impact your life for the better, bringing your inner child out, no matter how many years have passed.
Which of these motivational baseball quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 24, 2021 6:00 AM EST