Calvin and Hobbes is a popular children’s comic strip that discusses topics such as life, love, and relationships.
The insightful humor of this comic strip is detailed in the Calvin and Hobbes quotes below.
Did you grow up reading Calvin and Hobbes?
Calvin and Hobbes was developed by cartoonist Bill Watterson.
After his other comic ideas were rejected from print syndication services, Calvin and Hobbes got its big break in 1985.
Within a year, the comic strip grew in popularity and spread to 250 newspapers.
Calvin and Hobbes’ final strip ran in 1995, ten years after its initial publication.
At the height of its popularity, Calvin and Hobbes was featured in over 2,400 newspapers worldwide.
Watterson received many awards for Calvin and Hobbes including being inducted into the Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame.
Step into the adventures of Calvin and Hobbes through the quotes below.
Don’t forget to also check out these bittersweet Milk and Honey quotes from the book about life.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Powerful Calvin and Hobbes quotes
1. “We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are.” – Bill Watterson
2. “As far as I’m concerned, if something is so complicated that you can’t explain it in 10 seconds, then it’s probably not worth knowing anyway.” – Bill Watterson
3. “Sometimes when I’m talking, my words can’t keep up with my thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice.” – Bill Watterson
You will also enjoy our article on Casablanca quotes.
4. “The world bores you when you’re cool.” – Bill Watterson
5. “There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want.” – Bill Watterson
6. “To make a bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible.” – Bill Watterson
7. “It’s true, Hobbes, ignorance is bliss! Once you know things, you start seeing problems everywhere … and once you see problems, you feel like you ought to fix them … and fixing problems always seems to require personal change … and change means doing things that aren’t fun! I say phooey to that!” – Bill Watterson
8. “The problem about the future is that it keeps turning into the present.” – Bill Watterson
9. “The best presents don’t come in boxes.” – Bill Watterson
10. “I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” – Bill Watterson
11. “At school, new ideas are thrust at you every day. Out in the world, you’ll have to find your inner motivation to seek for new ideas on your own.” – Bill Watterson
12. “Mothers are the necessity of invention.” – Bill Watterson
13. “It’s going to be a grim day when the world is run by a generation that doesn’t know anything but what it’s seen on TV.” – Bill Watterson
14. “It’s surprising how hard we’ll work when the work is done just for ourselves.” – Bill Watterson
15. “Your preparation for the real world is not in the answers you’ve learned, but in the questions, you’ve learned how to ask yourself.” – Bill Watterson
You will also enjoy our article on Lightning McQueen quotes.
Funny Calvin and Hobbes quotes
16. “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” – Bill Watterson
17. “Every time I’ve built character, I’ve regretted it.” – Bill Watterson
18. “Never argue with a six-year-old who shaves.” – Bill Watterson
19. “I understand my tests are popular reading in the teachers’ lounge.” – Bill Watterson
20. “Where do we keep all our chainsaws, Mom?” – Bill Watterson
21. “I wonder what people knew before there were magazine quizzes.” – Bill Watterson
22. “I won’t eat any cereal that doesn’t turn the milk purple.” – Bill Watterson
23. “It’s hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” – Bill Watterson
24. “Becoming an adult is probably the dumbest thing you can ever do!” – Bill Watterson
25. “Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said ‘I think I’ll drink whatever comes out of these when I squeeze ’em?” – Bill Watterson
You might also like these Jessica Rabbit quotes from the one-of-a-kind toon human.
How often do you ask questions?
Calvin, of Calvin and Hobbes, is a curious six-year-old boy who is always questioning the world around him.
After speaking his mind, he often develops a deep insight into different topics.
Follow Calvin’s lead and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Many don’t speak up because they’re fearful of looking foolish or being judged by others.
Remember the benefits of asking questions outweigh the negatives.
For example, asking questions will help you better understand the emotions of friends, family, coworkers, and others.
Which of these Calvin and Hobbes quotes and lines is your favorite?
What should we feature next on Everyday Power?
Let us know below!