Calvin and Hobbes is a popular children’s comic strip that discussed topics such as life, love, and relationships. The insightful humor of this comic strip is detailed in the Calvin and Hobbes quotes below.
Did you grow up reading Calvin and Hobbes?
Calvin and Hobbes was developed by cartoonist Bill Watterson. After his other comic ideas were rejected from print syndication services, Calvin and Hobbes got its big break in 1985. Within a year, the comic strip grew in popularity and spread to 250 newspapers.
Calvin and Hobbes’ final strip ran in 1995, ten years after its initial publication. Watterson received many awards for Calvin and Hobbes including being inducted into the Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame.
Step into the adventures of Calvin and Hobbes through the quotes below.
Don’t forget to also check out these bittersweet Milk and Honey quotes from the book about life.
Powerful Calvin and Hobbes quotes
1. “We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are.” – Bill Watterson
2. “As far as I’m concerned, if something is so complicated that you can’t explain it in 10 seconds, then it’s probably not worth knowing anyway.” – Bill Watterson
3. “Sometimes when I’m talking, my words can’t keep up with my thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice.” – Bill Watterson
4. “The world bores you when you’re cool.” – Bill Watterson
5. “There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want.” – Bill Watterson
6. “To make a bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible.” – Bill Watterson
7. “It’s true, Hobbes, ignorance is bliss! Once you know things, you start seeing problems everywhere … and once you see problems, you feel like you ought to fix them … and fixing problems always seems to require personal change … and change means doing things that aren’t fun! I say phooey to that!” – Bill Watterson
8. “The problem about the future is that it keeps turning into the present.” – Bill Watterson
9. “The best presents don’t come in boxes.” – Bill Watterson
10. “I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” – Bill Watterson
11. “At school, new ideas are thrust at you every day. Out in the world, you’ll have to find your inner motivation to seek for new ideas on your own.” – Bill Watterson
12. “Mothers are the necessity of invention.” – Bill Watterson
13. “It’s going to be a grim day when the world is run by a generation that doesn’t know anything but what it’s seen on TV.” – Bill Watterson
14. “It’s surprising how hard we’ll work when the work is done just for ourselves.” – Bill Watterson
15. “Your preparation for the real world is not in the answers you’ve learned, but in the questions you’ve learned how to ask yourself.” – Bill Watterson
Funny Calvin and Hobbes quotes
16. “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” – Bill Watterson
17. “Every time I’ve built character, I’ve regretted it.” – Bill Watterson
18. “Never argue with a six-year-old who shaves.” – Bill Watterson
19. “I understand my tests are popular reading in the teachers’ lounge.” – Bill Watterson
20. “Where do we keep all our chainsaws, Mom?” – Bill Watterson
21. “I wonder what people knew before there were magazine quizzes.” – Bill Watterson
22. “I won’t eat any cereal that doesn’t turn the milk purple.” – Bill Watterson
23. “It’s hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” – Bill Watterson
24. “Becoming an adult is probably the dumbest thing you can ever do!” – Bill Watterson
25. “Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said ‘I think I’ll drink whatever comes out of these when I squeeze ’em?” – Bill Watterson
26. “Weekends don’t count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.” – Bill Watterson
27. “A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.” – Bill Watterson
28. “I don’t think I’d have been in such a hurry to reach adulthood if I’d known the whole thing was going to be ad-libbed.” – Bill Watterson
29. “For no reason I can think of, I’ve wandered far astray. And that is how I got to where I find myself today.” – Bill Watterson
Also check out these Yogi Bear quotes from the legendary cartoon.
Calvin and Hobbes quotes on friends and family
30. “I’m related to people I don’t relate to.” – Bill Watterson
31. “Good friends are hard to come by…I need more money.” – Bill Watterson
32. “I wish I had more friends, but people are such jerks. If you can just get most people to leave you alone, you’re doing good. If you can find even one person you really like, you’re lucky. And if that person can also stand you, you’re really lucky.” – Bill Watterson
33. “In my opinion, we don’t devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks.” – Bill Watterson
34. “That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!” – Bill Watterson
35. “Everybody I know fails the acid test of friendship.” – Bill Watterson
Calvin and Hobbes quotes on life
36. “Reality continues to ruin my life.” – Bill Watterson
37. “You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” – Bill Watterson
38. “To invent your own life’s meaning is not easy, but it’s still allowed, and I think you’ll be happier for the trouble.” – Bill Watterson
39. “It’s not denial. I’m just very selective about the reality I accept.” – Bill Watterson
40. “If you can’t control your peanut butter, you can’t expect to control your life.” – Bill Watterson
41. “A day can really slip by when you’re deliberately avoiding what you’re supposed to do.” – Bill Watterson
42. “Once it’s too late, you appreciate what a miracle life is.” – Bill Watterson
43. “I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone’s expectations.” – Bill Watterson
44. “When life gives you lemons, chunk it right back.” – Bill Watterson
45. “I’m killing time while I wait for life to shower me with meaning and happiness.” – Bill Watterson
Calvin and Hobbes quotes on society
46. “If people could put rainbows in zoos, they’d do it.” – Bill Watterson
47. “People pay more attention when they think you’re up to something.” – Bill Watterson
48. “People always bend the rules if they think they can get away with it.” – Bill Watterson
49. “The problem with people is that they’re only human.” – Bill Watterson
50. “You know how people are. They only recognize greatness when some authority confirms it.” – Bill Watterson
You might also like these Jessica Rabbit quotes from the one-of-a-kind toon human.
How often do you ask questions?
Calvin, of Calvin and Hobbes, is a curious six-year-old boy who is always questioning the world around him. After speaking his mind, he often develops a deep insight into different topics. Follow Calvin’s lead and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Many don’t speak up because they’re fearful of looking foolish or being judged by others. Remember the benefits of asking questions outweigh the negatives. For example, asking questions will help you better understand the emotions of friends, family, coworkers, and others.
Which of these Calvin and Hobbes quotes and lines is your favorite? What should we feature next on Everyday Power? Let us know below!
November 5, 2020 7:00 AM EST