Will you live your one life loving and respecting yourself or will you live trying to receive the acceptance of others? These Milk and Honey quotes will get you thinking.
The book Milk and Honey is a #1 New York Times bestseller by Rupi Kaur. It’s a book filled with poetry and prose about some of life’s most challenging moments and what can be learned from them. It’s divided into four sections: the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing.
The book is written without capitalization or punctuation which is a nod to her mother language of Punjabi. However, she has also noted that she enjoys the simplicity and equality of not using capitalization and punctuation. And many reading her book have found it adds to the rawness of the emotions shown through her work.
Enjoy reading these Milk and Honey quotes, and don’t forget to share with your favorite bookworm.
Inspirational Milk and Honey Quotes
1. “if you were born with the weakness to fall you were born with the strength to rise” – Milk and Honey
2. “the world gives you so much pain and here you are making gold out of it” – Milk and Honey
3. “for you to see beauty here does not mean there is beauty in me it means there is beauty rooted so deep within you you can’t help but see it everywhere” – Milk and Honey
Milk and Honey Quotes about strength
4. “the world gives you so much pain and here you are making gold out of it – there is nothing purer than that” – Milk and Honey
5. “you tell me to quiet down cause my opinions make me less beautiful but i was not made with a fire in my belly so i could be put out” – Milk and Honey
6. “never feel guilty for starting again” – Milk and Honey
7. “to heal/you have to/get to the root/of the wound/and kiss it all the way up” – Milk and Honey
8. “it takes monsters to steal souls/and fighters to reclaim them” – Milk and Honey
9. “what is stronger than the human heart which shatters over and over and still lives” – Milk and Honey
10. “you do not just wake up and become the butterfly—growth is a process” – Milk and Honey
Milk and Honey quotes about relationships
11. “you must enter a relationship with yourself before anyone else” – Milk and Honey
12. “i am not a hotel room i am home/i am not the whiskey you want/i am the water you need/don’t come here with expectations/and try to make a vacation out of me” – Milk and Honey
13. “I know i should crumble for better reasons but have you seen that boy he brings the sun to its knees every night” – Milk and Honey
14. “i do not want to have you to fill the empty parts of me i want to be full on my own i want to be so complete i could light a whole city and then i want to have you cause the two of us combined could set it on fire” – Milk and Honey
15. No, it won’t be love at first sight when we meet it’ll be love at first remembrance cause i’ve seen you in my mother’s eyes when she tells me to marry the type of man i’d want to raise my son to be like” – Milk and Honey
16. “the right one does not/stand in your way/they make space for you/to step forward” – Milk and Honey
17. “nothing is safer/than the sound of you/reading aloud to me—the perfect date” – Milk and Honey
18. “he placed his hands on my mind before reaching for my waist my hips or my lips he didn’t call me beautiful first he called me exquisite” – Milk and Honey
19. “there is a difference between someone telling you they love you and them actually loving you” – Milk and Honey
20. “love is not cruel we are cruel love is not a game we have made a game out of love” – Milk and Honey
21. “you might not have been my first love but you were the love that made all other loves seem irrelevant” – Milk and Honey
22. “love will come and when love comes love will hold you love will call your name and you will melt sometimes though love will hurt you but love will never mean to love will play no games cause love knows life has been hard enough already” – Milk and Honey
Milk and Honey quotes about break ups
23. “when you are broken and he has left you do not question whether you were enough the problem was you were so enough he was not able to carry it” – Milk and Honey
24. “i didn’t leave because i stopped loving you i left because the longer i stayed the less i loved myself” – Milk and Honey
25. “you were not wrong for leaving/you were wrong for coming back/and thinking/you could have me/when it was convenient/and leave when it was not” – Milk and Honey
26. “i am a museum full or art but you had your eyes shut” – Milk and Honey
27. “don’t mistake/salt for sugar/if he wants to/be with you/he will/it’s that simple” – Milk and Honey
28. “do not look for healing at the feet of those who broke you” – Milk and Honey
29. “you left/and i wanted you still/yet i deserved someone/who was willing to stay” – Milk and Honey
30. “people go but how they left always stays” – Milk and Honey
Milk and Honey quotes about confidence and self-esteem
31. “how you love yourself is how you teach others to love you” – Milk and Honey
32. “we are all born so beautiful the greatest tragedy is being convinced we are not” – Milk and Honey
33. “i am hopelessly a lover and a dreamer and that will be the death of me” – Milk and Honey
34. “other women’s bodies/are not our battle grounds” – Milk and Honey
35. “fall in love with your solitude” – Milk and Honey
36. “trying to convince myself/i am allowed/to take up space/is like writing with/my left hand/when i was born/to use my right” – Milk and Honey
37. “i am water soft enough to offer life tough enough to drown it away” – Milk and Honey
38. “i want to apologize to all the women i have called beautiful before i’ve called them intelligent or brave i am sorry i made it sound as though something as simple as what you’re born with is all you have to be proud of” – Milk and Honey
39. “the kindest words my father said to me women like you drown oceans” – Milk and Honey
More Milk and Honey quotes
40. “loneliness is a sign you are in desperate need of yourself” – Milk and Honey
41. “our backs tell stories no books have the spine to carry” – Milk and Honey
42. “borders/are man-made/they divide us physically/don’t let them make us/turn on each other—we are not enemies” – Milk and Honey
43. “trust your body/it reacts to right and wrong/better than your mind does” – Milk and Honey
44. “stay strong through your pain grow flowers from it you have helped me grow flowers out of mine so bloom beautifully dangerously loudly bloom softly however you need just bloom” – Milk and Honey
45. “they have no idea what it is like/to lose home at the risk of/never finding home again/to have your entire life/split between two lands and/become the bridges between two countries—immigrant” – Milk and Honey
46. “my heart aches for sisters more than anything it aches for women helping women like flowers ache for spring” – Milk and Honey
47. “the thing about writing is i can’t tell if it’s healing or destroying” – Milk and Honey
48. “i don’t know what living a balanced life feels like when i am sad i don’t cry i pour when i am happy i don’t smile i glow when i am angry i don’t yell i burn” – Milk and Honey
49. “sadness looks the same across all cultures races and communities/so does happiness and joy” – Milk and Honey
50. “my heart woke me crying last night how can i help i begged my heart said write the book” – Milk and Honey
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of book quotes about the power of reading from your favorite authors.
Did you enjoy these Milk and Honey quotes?
The Milk and Honey quotes above highlight how important it is to love ourselves. If we do not love ourselves, how can anyone else truly love us? People will see you how you see yourself. If you choose to look negatively at yourself others will also.
Don’t set boundaries for yourself. Continue to grow and give the world the best of yourself. As you continue to grow you will meet new people and expand your horizons.
If you are waiting for the right person to come along to complete you, then you will never be complete. Instead, know that you are enough just as you are.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Milk and Honey quotes and lines? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
November 4, 2020 7:00 AM EST