Cher Quotes From The Goddess of Pop Herself
June 18, 2021 7:00 AM EST
These Cher quotes will show you why she earned the nickname The Goddess of Pop.
Cher is an American musical icon who first became popular back in 1965 as part of the folk-rock duo Sonny and Cher.
Their song “I Got You Babe” launched them into stardom, and in just two years the duo had sold over 40 million records.
Cher also started her solo career in 1966 and in 1970 she and Sonny had their own TV special, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour.
One of her solo songs, Half Breed, had many people questioning her ethnicity.
Cher’s father was Armenian-American and her mother was of Irish, English, German, and Cherokee descent.
She is a talented singer, but she is also an accomplished actress.
Some of these Cher quotes come from movies like Burlesque and others from her hit songs.
In the 80s and 90s, she broke out into the film industry with several films like The Witches of Eastwick, Moonstruck, and Mermaids.
The late 90s saw a revival of her musical career with singles like Believe.
In 2002 she launched the Living Proof: The Farewell Tour, which ended up being her highest-grossing concert tour.
She made her on-screen comeback when she appeared in Mamma Mia!
Here We Go Again.
It is no wonder she earned the nickname The Goddess of Pop, and these Cher quotes will remind you why she should be worshipped and adored.
Don’t forget to also check out these Janis Joplin quotes from the iconic singer.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
The best Cher quotes from Burlesque
1. “Oh, God, Georgia. Tell me you don’t have the flu.” ― Tess (Cher)
2. “Tell me a lie.” ― Tess (Cher)
3. “Vincent. How many times have I told you? No business during business hours.” ― Tess (Cher)
4. “He didn’t even look me in the eye! He just sat there playing with his wooden thingy on his desk.” ― Tess (Cher)
5. “Well, I didn’t divorce you to spend more time with you.” ― Tess (Cher)
6. “Since when did you know anything about loyalty? How many Goddamn times have I peeled you off the sidewalk? How many blackouts? How many times have I held your head over the toilet bowl while you threw up everything but your memories?” ― Tess (Cher)
7. “Did you also tell him I have a tattoo on my ass?” ― Tess (Cher)
8. “No, no. “Not now” means not now, Vince. “No” means no. Marcus, I don’t care what you’re offering. My club is not for sale.” ― Tess (Cher)
You will also enjoy our article on tattoo quotes.
Cher song quotes from her greatest hits
9. “But after all is said and done, you’re gonna be the lonely one.” ― Cher, Believe
10. “Do you believe in life after love?” ― Cher, Believe
11. “I can feel something inside me say, “I really don’t think you’re strong enough, no.” ― Cher, Believe
12. “If I could turn back time, if I could find a way. I’d take back those words that’ve hurt you and you’d stay.” ― Cher, If I Could Turn Back Time
13. “Pride’s like a knife it can cut deep inside. Words are like weapons they wound sometimes.” ― Cher, If I Could Turn Back Time
14. “You walked out that door I swore that I didn’t care, but I lost everything darling then and there.”― Cher, If I Could Turn Back Time
15. “If I could reach the stars, I’d give them all to you.” ― Cher, If I Could Turn Back Time
16. “When you’re standing on the edge of nowhere, there’s only one way up, so your heart’s gotta go there.” ― Cher, Song for the Lonely
17. “This is a song for the lonely. Can you hear me tonight? For the brokenhearted, battle-scarred I’ll be by your side.” ― Cher, Song for the Lonely
Empowering Cher quotes for women and other inspirational thoughts
18. “When I grew up, it was a time when women were just supposed to be cute and not have many opinions. My mother and her friends were quite different. They were all the most beautiful women you’ve ever seen, and they were very strong women.” ― Cher
19. “Men should be like Kleenex, soft, strong, and disposable.” ― Cher
20. “Women are the architects of society.” ― Cher
21. “Women have to harness their power – it’s absolutely true. It’s just learning not to take the first no. And if you can’t go straight ahead, you go around the corner.” ― Cher
22. “Men are a luxury, not a necessity.” ― Cher
23. “It’s not necessary, in order to be a complete person, that I have a man. It’s not the end-all, be-all of my life.” ― Cher
24. “Yes, it’s a man’s world, but that’s all right because they’re making a total mess of it. We’re chipping away at their control, taking the parts we want. Some women think it’s a difficult task, but it’s not.” ― Cher
25. “I don’t need a man. But I’m happier with one. I like to have someone I can touch and squeeze and kiss. But I don’t fold up and die if I don’t have a man around.” ― Cher
26. “Until you’re ready to look foolish, you’ll never have the possibility of being great.” ― Cher
27. “If you really want something, you can figure out how to make it happen.” ― Cher
28. “If it doesn’t matter in five years, it doesn’t matter.” ― Cher
29. “If you’re waiting for someone to believe in you, you’ll be waiting forever. You must believe in yourself.” ― Cher
30. “I’ve always taken risks and never worried what the world might really think of me.” ― Cher
31. “Don’t take your toys inside just because it’s raining.” ― Cher
32. “I wouldn’t give myself any advice, because advice is kinda bullshit. Take a deep breath and don’t take any of it too seriously.” ― Cher
You will also enjoy our article on Mamma Mia quotes.
Cher quotes about love, relationships, and sex
33. “If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.” ― Cher
34. “A girl can wait for the right man to come along, but in the meantime that still doesn’t mean she can’t have a wonderful time with all the wrong ones.” ― Cher
35. “When you stop trying to find the right man and start becoming the right woman, the right man will find his way to you.” ― Cher
36. “The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing – and then marry him.” ― Cher
37. “Husbands are like fires―they go out when they’re left unattended.” ― Cher
38. “Searching for a boy in high school is as useless as searching for meaning in a Pauly Shore movie.” ― Cher
39. “Sometimes you have to show a little skin. This reminds boys of being naked, and then they think of sex.” ― Cher
40. “Would you look at that body language? Legs crossed towards each other. That is an unequivocal sex invite.” ― Cher
Cher quotes about being a performer and other sayings about herself and her life
41. “Performers love to perform – that’s the thing that we do. I think one of the best things was being able to imagine anything that I wanted, anything that I came up with we could do because this theater is unbelievable.” ― Cher
42. “Some guy said to me: ‘Don’t you think you’re too old to sing rock n’ roll?’ I said: ‘You’d better check with Mick Jagger.’” ― Cher
43. “I really don’t think of myself as a singer. I think of myself as an entertainer, and the best place I do it is onstage.” ― Cher
44. “The first concert I attended was an Elvis concert when I was eleven. Even at that age he made me realize the tremendous effect a performer could have on an audience.” ― Cher
45. “I am never offended when I see the drag-queens dressed up like me.” ― Cher
46. “I’ve never compromised who I am, not ever. If I’ve gotten anywhere in my life it’s been on my own merits.” ― Cher
47. “Nothing lifts me out of a bad mood better than a hard workout on my treadmill. It never fails. Exercise is nothing short of a miracle.” ― Cher
48. “I only answer to two people, myself and God.” ― Cher
49. “I can trust my friends These people force me to examine myself, encourage me to grow.” ― Cher
50. “Sometimes I don’t tell the truth, which is telling the truth about not telling the truth. I think people don’t tell the truth when they’re afraid that something bad’s going to happen if they tell the truth. I say things all the time that I could really get into trouble for, but they kind of blow over.” ― Cher
Which of these Cher quotes is your favorite?
Cher is one of the world’s best-selling artists, and in 2008, she signed a $60 million deal to headline the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas for three years.
She is still going strong, at age 75.
Aside from her professional career, she also kept busy with her children, Chaz Bono, and Elijah Blue Allman.
However, Cher is not busy with grandchildren as of yet!
She is also a vigorous supporter of the LGBTQ+ community.
Her son with Sonny Bono, Chaz, is transgender.
When Chaz (then a girl named Chastity) was 17, he came out as a lesbian.
Initially, Cher felt “guilt, fear and pain” It didn’t take her long to accept Chaz’s sexual orientation and conclude that LGBT people “didn’t have the same rights as everyone else.”
In 1997, Cher was the keynote speaker at the national Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) convention.
In May 1998, she received the GLAAD Vanguard Award for having “made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for lesbians and gay men.”
Cher is fierce, regardless of whether you are referring to her musical talent, acting ability, or passionate defense of human rights.
Her fans are some of the most dedicated in the industry and span several generations, which is no easy feat!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Cher quotes and sayings?
If you have some interesting Cher facts you would like to share, use the comment section below.