Don’t overlook the beauty and significance of saying farewell with these goodbye quotes as your inspiration.
Saying goodbye is important.
Whether small or big, they form an important ritual in our culture.
Let us know which goodbye quote resonated with you the most in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading goodbye quotes?
Goodbyes signify that something has ended, and it is time for something new to happen.
A good farewell:
- Honors your past and provides closure as you move on to your next chapter
- Allows you to recognize your life experiences with other people and the world around you
- Expresses how you truly feel
Whether you’re parting with someone for a short time or forever, saying a mindful goodbye gives you the time to acknowledge the value you have in each other’s lives.
Besides, goodbyes contain a blessing.
Giving a meaningful farewell allows you to bless the other person’s going and coming.
So the next you say goodbye, pay attention to the moment, and create an intention of goodwill in your heart to make it a blessing.
To help make your farewells count, below is our collection of inspirational, beautiful, and uplifting goodbye quotes, goodbye sayings, and goodbye proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Goodbye Quotes For Those Who Admire A Beautiful Farewell
1. “Farewell! God knows when we shall meet again.” – William Shakespeare
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about new beginnings.
2. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” – Charles Dickens
You will also enjoy our article on blessed quotes.
3. “The return makes one love the farewell.” – Alfred de Musset
You will also enjoy our article on grief quotes.
4. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks
You will also enjoy our article on sunset quotes.
5. “It feels right. But it’s emotional. Saying goodbye to anything you’ve done that long is hard.” – Angela Ruggiero
You will also enjoy our article on quotes getting rid of bad habits.
6. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” – Semisonic
You will also enjoy our article on john wayne quotes.
7. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coelho
You will also enjoy our article on terry pratchett quotes.
8. “This is not a goodbye, my darling, this is a thank you.” – Nicholas Sparks
You will also enjoy our article on betrayal quotes.
9. “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.” – Garrison Keillor
You will also enjoy our article on good morning quotes for him.
10. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
You will also enjoy our article on cloud quotes.
Goodbye quotes to make your farewells meaningful
11. “History never really says goodbye. History says, ‘See you later. ” – Eduardo Galeano
You will also enjoy our article on bad relationship quotes.
12. “The two hardest things to say in life is hello for the first time and goodbye for the last.” – Moira Rogers
You will also enjoy our article on lion king quotes.
13. “They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.” – Confucius
You will also enjoy our article on second chances quotes.
14. “Man’s feelings are always purest and most glowing in the hour of meeting and of farewell.” – Jean Paul Richter
You will also enjoy our article on robert frost quotes.
15. “So long, see you around, but never a final goodbye.” – Fred Flagler
You will also enjoy our article on good night quotes.
16. “I’ll see you in another life. When we are both cats.” – Tom Cruise
You will also enjoy our article on welcome quotes.
17. “Farewell, dearest friend, never to see one another anymore till at the right hand of Christ.” – Donald Cargill
You will also enjoy our article on green quotes.
18. “It’s sad, but sometimes moving on with the rest of your life, starts with goodbye.” – Carrie Underwood
You will also enjoy our article on memory quotes.
19. “Promise me you’ll never forget me because if I thought you would I’d never leave.” – A.A. Milne
You will also enjoy our article on Charlie Brown quotes.
20. “Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard.” – Dave Mustaine
You will also enjoy our article on evil eye quotes.
Goodbye quotes to help you offer mindful farewells
21. “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go” – Oscar Wilde
You will also enjoy our article on decision quotes.
22. “It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest thing in the world.” — John Green
23. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — A.A. Milne
24. “I guess that’s part of growing up, too—saying good-bye to the things you used to love.” – Jenny Han
25. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” ― Dr. Seuss
26. “I make it easier for people to leave by making them hate me a little.” – Cecelia Ahern
28. “For every goodbye, God also provides a hello.” – Donna Gable Hatch
29. “Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
30. “I have had a happy life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless all!” – Christopher McCandless
Goodbye quotes to make each farewell count
31. “I wonder how People say goodbye to someone forever ?” Could we see when and where we are to meet again, we would be more tender when we bid our friends goodbye. – Ovid
32. “Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean I’ll miss you until we meet again.” – Unknown
33. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
34. “Saying goodbye doesn’t mean anything. It’s the time we spent together that matters, not how we left it.” – Trey Parker
35. “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” – Ernie Harwell
36. “The story of life is quicker than the wink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye…until we meet again.” – Jimi Hendrix
37. “Goodbyes make you think. They make you realize what you’ve had, what you’ve lost, and what you’ve taken for granted.” – Ritu Ghatourey
38. “Don’t be dismayed by good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” – Richard Bach
39. “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” – J.M. Barrie
40. “Never part without loving words to think of during your absence. It may be that you will not meet again in this life.” – Jean Paul Richter
Other beautiful goodbye quotes to inspire you
41. “No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.” – Robert Southey
42. “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.” – Frederick Buechner
43. “Man’s feelings are always purest and many glowing in the hour of meeting and of farewell.” – Jean Paul Richter
44. “The finale of every year is a time to say goodbye to one year and welcome the coming of a new one. A blessed year may it be.” – Kate Summers
45. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of I miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
46. “So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.” – Helen Keller
47. “We’ll meet again, Don’t know where, don’t know when, But I know we’ll meet again, Some sunny day.” – Vera Lynn
48. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” – Jonathan Harnisch
49. “Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending.” – Lazarus Long
50. “You and I will meet again, When we’re least expecting it, One day in some far off place, I will recognize your face, I won’t say goodbye my friend, For you and I will meet again.” – Tom Petty
You might also like these new beginning quotes to make you better.
51. “Two of the greatest predictors of success are the ability to say hello and the ability to say goodbye.” – Robert J. Braathe
52. “Goodbyes are not forever, are not the end; it simply means I’ll miss you until we meet again.” – Unknown
53. “Saying goodbye to the living was hard enough; saying goodbye to the dead was an impossible task.” – Andrew Shaffer
54. “There was something unfinished about not saying farewell, like a door left open in the chill night.” – Julie C. Dao
55. “If no one has called you back when you left a place, then your decision to leave that place was precisely true!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
Goodbye quotes to contemplate on
56. “Maybe we’ve lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we’ve found each other. And maybe each time, we’ve been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come.” ― Nicholas Sparks
57. “What is that feeling when you’re driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? – it’s the too-huge world vaulting us, and it’s good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.” ― Jack Kerouac
58. “Promise to give me a kiss on my brow when I am dead. –I shall feel it.” ― Victor Hugo
59. “I don’t care if it’s a sad good-bye or a bad good-bye, but when I leave a place I like to know I’m leaving it. If you don’t you feel even worse.” ― J.D. Salinger
60. “Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
61. “Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.” ― Shakespeare
62. “Do you know what your problem is? You can’t live with the idea that someone might leave.” ― John Green
63. “I thought I was stronger than a word, but I just discovered that having to say goodbye to you is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.” ― Colleen Hoover
64. “Thank God I found the GOOD in goodbye.” ― Beyonce Knowles
65. “There’s nothing good about goodnight when it means goodbye.” ― Jeff Thomas
Insightful goodbye quotes that will make you think
66. “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” – Charlie Brown
67. “Goodbyes—they often come in waves.” – Jarod Kintz
68. “A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.” – Helen Rowland
69. “It’s so hard saying goodbye… it’s hard saying good bye to all the things that one has held dear for weeks, months, sometimes years.” – Saqib Saleem
70. “It feels right. But it’s emotional. Saying goodbye to anything you’ve done that long is hard.” – Angela Ruggiero
71. “Could we see when and where we are to meet again, we would be more tender when we bid our friends goodbye.” – Ouida
72. “Saying goodbye is the hardest solution to any problem. But sometimes, it’s the only choice we have.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
73. “No more words. We know them all—all the words that should not be said. But you have made my world more perfect.” – Terry Pratchett
74. “The pain of a hard goodbye is the heart’s tribute to the privilege to love.” – Beth Moore
75. “Follow your dreams, work hard, practice, and persevere. Make sure you eat a variety of foods, get plenty of exercise, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.” – Sasha Cohen
Goodbye Quotes For A Touching Farewell
76. “Good bye may seem forever. Farewell is like the end, but in my heart is the memory and there you will always be.” — Disney
77.“What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.” — T.S. Eliot
78. “Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime. We’ll take the best, forget the rest, and someday will find that these are the best of times.” — Styx
79. “Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love.” — George Eliot
80.“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” — Helen Keller
81.“I don’t have to be so afraid of goodbye, because goodbye doesn’t have to be forever.” — Jenny Han
82. “We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere.” – Tim McGraw
83. “Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime. We’ll take the best, forget the rest, and someday will find that these are the best of times.” — Styx
84. “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.” – Flavia Weedn
85. “The world is round and the place which may seem like the end, may also be the beginning.” – Ivy Baker Priest
Goodbye Quotes To Help You Let Go
86. “Seems like we always spend the best part of our time just saying goodbye.” ― Elizabeth Taylor
87. “Goodbyes are on of the hardest things about life. One way or another people were always leaving… Always moving on.” ― Karen Kingsbury
88. “I’ve been in the same place for 10 years and having to say goodbye and clean out the locker is the toughest part.” ― Roy Oswalt
89. “Live your life as if you are ready to say goodbye to it at any moment, as if the time left for you were some pleasant surprise.” ― Marcus Aurelius
90. “I keep going till that pain says hello to me. I don’t say goodbye until that pain says hello. That’s a good set.” ― Greg Plitt
91. “Love tends to end in a very painful goodbye.” ― Taylor Swift
92. “My world has changed, and so have I. I have learned to choose and I have learned to say goodbye.” ― Pocahontas
93. “Goodbyes were impossible, unless you didn’t realize you were saying them.” ― Luanne Rice
94. “Everyone struggles against despair, but it always wins in the end. It has to. It’s the thing that lets us say goodbye.” ― Jeffrey Eugenides
95. “To say goodbye is to die a little.” ― Raymond Chandler
Goodbye Quotes To Make You Overcome Emotional Moments
96. “I told you that I love you, I was only telling a lie. I’ll be long gone come the crack of dawn and I believe the word is goodbye.” ― James Taylor
97. “In the twilight glow I see her, blue eyes crying in the rain. As we kissed goodbye and parted, I knew we’d never meet again.” ― Willie Nelson
98. “Woke the next day and found her note. Love ya, goodbye, that’s all she wrote.” ― David Gates
99. “Goodbye, my love, my life. Goodbye, goodbye.” ― Dalton Trumbo
100. “I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me.” ― Bob Dylan
101. “So goodbye, I’ll be leaving, I see no sense in this crying and grieving. We’ll both live a lot longer, if you live without me.” ― Linda Ronstadt
102. “One of the difficult things of so much travelling is to say goodbye.” ― Michael Palin
103. “Nothing’s forever forever’s a lie. All we have is what’s between hello and goodbye.” ― Marilyn Bergman
104. “I was a mess when the movie [Into the Forest] ended and I had to say goodbye. It was one of the hardest endings.” ― Evan Rachel Wood
105. “Naturally there will come a time, when I will have to say goodbye, but I’ve soul-searched and this is not the time.” ― Vin Scully
Emotional Goodbye Quotes To Make Farewell Memorable
106. “You had me at hello, goodbye and everything in between.” — Shannon L. Alder
107. “The easiest way to find out how you feel about someone. Say goodbye.” — Phil Knight
108. “It was hard saying goodbye to that oblivion they call childhood.” ― Saqib Saleem
109. “So, for now, I say goodbye to this chapter of my life, and I look forward to what comes next.” – Brooke Davis
110. “Good-byes hurt the most when the other person’s already gone.”― Angie Thomas
111. “I am not afraid to die; I am only afraid of saying goodbye to you forever.”― Shannon L. Alder
112. “Goodbye too painful a word to utter, we part in silence.” ― Melanie A. Smith
113. “I don’t think that I could ever say goodbye to you… Not even if you said it to me.” ― Jaimie Roberts
114. “Goodbye is the saddest word I ever heard, goodbye is the last time I will hold you near.” — Celine Dion
115. “A ‘hello again’ after the final goodbye is sometimes harder than just keeping the goodbye as it was.” — Jessiqua Wittman
Goodbye Quotes To Make The Separation Easier
116. “I didn’t think saying good-bye would be so hard. And with everything that’s to come—We’ll face it together. To whatever end.” ― Sarah J. Maas
117. “Good-bye doesn’t have to be forever.” — Jenny Han
118. “Saying goodbye feels hard, for sure, but I am confident that it is a door through which we walk to bring us to another good chapter in our story together.” — Claudia Quigg
119. “Hello is a beginning, and so is goodbye. Goodbye is like a caterpillar that becomes a butterfly.” — Refiloe Moahloli
120. “I wanted to say goodbye to someone, and have someone say goodbye to me. The goodbyes we speak and the goodbyes we hear are the goodbyes that tell us we´re still alive.” — Stephen King
121. “Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a type of heaven.” — Tryon Edwards
122.“Every beginning has an ending Don’t let the goodbye scare you from starting what could be the best story of your life.” ― Dawn Lanuza
123. “FareWell or Goodbye it really doesn’t matter it shows one magic. If you find it, you are a magician!” ― Deyth Banger
124. “If she says goodbye, someone else will say hi.” ― Amit Kalantri
125. “I guess saying goodbye makes us reach out for those we would ordinarily ignore. Maybe we care about them more, too, when it is time to part.” ― Kyung-Sook Shin
Goodbye Quotes About Endings and New Beginnings
126. “Being able to say goodbye is a sign of growth.” ― Gustavo Cerati
127. “It’s going to be really emotional to say goodbye. I’m going to find it very difficult. But it must be done, it must be done.” ― J. K. Rowling
128. “Sometimes when you say goodbye, that’s the right thing to do in a relationship.” ― Richard Bach
129. “If you never stop when you wave goodbye you just might find, if you give it time, you will wave hello again.” ― John Mayer
130. “It all comes down to who you crucify, you either kiss the past or future good-bye.” ― Ringo Starr
131. “Say goodbye to the age-old stereotypes of seduction. Seductive, but not a seductress, a woman wears a scent to reveal her personality.” ― Paco Rabanne
132. “I would never wish to say that I’ve finally waved goodbye to any character, it’s just that the emphasis tends to shift.” ― Rowan Atkinson
133. “Sometimes you have to say goodbye to the things you know and hello to the things you dont.” ― Steve McQueen
134. “The only good thing you ever said was goodbye.” ― Joan Jett
135. “In the mornings I used to say goodbye to my wife like someone going to work. I’d leave the house, walk around a few blocks, and come back like a person arriving at the office.” ― Orhan Pamuk
Did you enjoy these goodbye quotes?
Goodbye is just as important as a greeting.
Healthy goodbyes help us focus on what matters, keep the doors open, and allow us to move forward without unnecessary baggage.
Life is full of endings and new beginnings.
Although saying goodbye can be difficult sometimes, the ability to tolerate endings is important.
We hope the above quotes will help you approach your endings with a positive attitude.
Which of these goodbye quotes was your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.
January 26, 2023 5:00 AM EST