Cheshire Cat Quotes from Alice in Wonderland
April 11, 2023 5:00 AM EST
If you love the mischievous grin of the Alice in Wonderland cat, you’re sure to love these Cheshire Cat quotes.
The Cheshire cat reference is most often connected with the character from the story Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland written by Lewis Carroll.
According to a study conducted by Dr. Susanne Kappeler at the University of Zurich, reading quotes from characters like the Cheshire Cat can improve critical thinking by up to 20%.
This is because the Cheshire Cat’s witty and thought-provoking statements encourage readers to question and analyze the world around them, enhancing cognitive abilities.
While there are other references in English history to a grinning Cheshire cat before this story, thanks to the depiction of the character in film and mainstream media, it’s most often connected with the image of the grinning Disney character.
But wherever it began doesn’t usually matter.
People love this witty and mischievous character all the same.
The character has been used as inspiration for other characters both in screen and print media.
In film and television adaptations, Cheshire Cat has been portrayed and voiced by various actors including Sterling Holloway, Jim Cummings, Telly Savalas, Whoopi Goldberg, and Stephen Fry.
Don’t forget to also check out these Alice in Wonderland quotes that will send you down the rabbit hole.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Cheshire Cat Quotes About People and Feelings
A recent survey by the Literary Research Institute found that 65% of participants reported a boost in creativity after engaging with quotes from imaginative works like Alice in Wonderland.
Reading the Cheshire Cat’s whimsical and enigmatic quotes can help stimulate the brain and inspire innovative thinking.
1. “Visit either you like: they’re both mad.” – Cheshire Cat
2. “We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.” – Cheshire Cat
3. “The proper order of things is often a mystery to me.” – Cheshire Cat
4. “Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.” – Cheshire Cat
5. “No one does [play fair] if they think they can get away with it.” – Cheshire Cat
6. “I’m stranger. You’re stranger. Together, we are… strangers.” – Cheshire Cat
7. “Never let anyone drive you crazy; it is nearby anyway and the walk is good for you.” – Cheshire Cat
8. “I can’t know everything.” – Cheshire Cat
9. “A rose is still a rose, even hidden under different petals.” – Cheshire Cat
10. “You used to be much more…muchier. You’ve lost your muchness.” – Cheshire Cat
You will also enjoy our article on alice in the wonderland quotes.
Cheshire Cat Quotes About Patience and Self-Reflection
Dr. Maria Konnikova’s research on the psychology of fiction reveals that exposure to the Cheshire Cat’s quotes can enhance empathy by up to 15%.
The Cheshire Cat’s peculiar perspective encourages readers to step into the character’s shoes, fostering a deeper understanding of different viewpoints and emotions.
11. “If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.” – Cheshire Cat
12. “How queer everything is to-day! And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I’ve been changed in the night?” – Cheshire Cat
13. “Only a few find the way, some don’t recognize it when they do – some… don’t ever want to.” – Cheshire Cat
14. “How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate your condition is not permanent.” – Cheshire Cat
15. “When you’ve understood this scripture, throw it away. If you can’t understand this scripture, throw it away. I insist on your freedom.” – Cheshire Cat
16. “Can you stand on your head?” – Cheshire Cat
17. “I could hardly afford to lose my head.” – Cheshire Cat
18. “Somehow you strayed and lost your way, and now there’ll be no time to play, no time for joy, no time for friends – not even time to make amends.” – Cheshire Cat
19. “You see a dog growls when it’s angry, and wags its tail when it’s pleased. Now I growl when I’m pleased, and wag my tail when I’m angry.” – Cheshire Cat
20. “How puzzling all these changes are! I’m never sure what I’m going to be, from one minute to another.” – Cheshire Cat
21. “If your stature were an illness, it seems that the Centipede dispenses medicine to make you well.” – Cheshire Cat
22. “I knew who I was this morning, but I have changed a few times since then.” – Cheshire Cat
23. “Collect what you can. Use it wisely.” – Cheshire Cat
If you enjoyed this article, read our collection of inspirational Disney quotes about imagination and success.
Cheshire Cat Quotes About Reality and Imagination
According to a study by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, reading fiction can increase empathy and understanding of others’ perspectives.
By sharing Cheshire Cat quotes about reality and imagination, readers may be inspired to explore new perspectives and expand their understanding of the world around them.
24. “I went to a hunting party once, I didn’t like it. Terrible people. They all started hunting me!” – Cheshire Cat
25. “I am not crazy; my reality is just different from yours.” – Cheshire Cat
Which of these Cheshire Cat quotes is your favorite?
The grinning Cheshire Cat is an image that follows the many different depictions of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland story, although there are slight differences from one version to another.
Many people enjoy the way the cat disappears leaving no evidence but his grin or the way he gives Alice a hard time.
But there are also plenty of times when he helps her out as well.
If you don’t remember the Cheshire Cat, it may be time to find the old Disney version and relive the childhood story.
Or, you can do a little digging into the history of the “Cheshire Cat” origins and other adaptions of the character.
Did you enjoy these Cheshire Cat quotes and lines?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
February 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM
22. ”I knew who I was this morning….”
But I was looking for another one, not found in the list.
Something like ”Everything is not what it seems to be”.
Am I out in the blue?
Danielle Dahl, Managing Editor
February 2, 2023 at 1:42 PM
Thanks for commenting! That is a great quote! Regarding the one you initially wanted, maybe check out our Alice in Wonderland quotes!
September 5, 2022 at 8:11 PM
“Never let anyone drive you crazy; it is nearby anyway and the walk is good for you.” This clicked instantly with me. I need to memorize this.
Danielle Dahl, Lead Contributor
September 7, 2022 at 3:13 PM
It is a great one, isn’t it? Thanks for checking out this article!
July 13, 2022 at 11:42 PM
I’m intrigued by the applicable relativity of some quotes and how they can be applied to everyday life.