Move closer to the best version of yourself with our “take the high road” quotes.
The high road is only for some.
Let’s explore why it should be for everyone.
What does it mean to take the high road?
When people think of taking the high road, they often think of the word magnanimous.
The word magnanimous refers to a person who is forgiving to a rival or someone with less power.
Taking the high road means keeping your integrity and morals even when others are not acting morally.
Below are some benefits of taking the high road:
- You will be admired for your magnanimity.
- You can have authentic conversations with others.
- Giving grace to others means people will respond to your shortcomings with grace.
American newscaster David Brinkley once said, “A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.”
Taking the high road is not easy, and that is why so many people avoid it.
Why does taking the high road seem difficult?
Well, taking the high road means knowing who you are.
When you are secure in your sense of self, you do not take what others say personally.
Your sense of worth does not come from the opinions, words, or actions of others.
This does not mean you are infallible or incapable of emotion.
It just means that you know your worth.
When you stand in your power, you know the energy of others cannot have a direct effect on you unless you allow it.
Check out our excellent selection of “take the high road” quotes below.
Powerful “take the high road” quotes
The great thing about the high road is that there is not much traffic.
1. “Always take the high road.” — John C. Maxwell
2. “Take the high road; it’s far less crowded.” — Warren Buffett
3. “Take the high road; there’s a lot less traffic up there.” — Phil McGraw
4. “The high road’s the only road I know. Let’s keep on that way.” — Jim Harbaugh
5. “Taking the highroad has much less traffic, and you can smoke.” — Anonymous
6. “I’m going to take the high road because the low road is so crowded.” — Mia Farrow
7. “The high road can be narrow and bumpy, but the view is magnificent.” — Dean Jackson
8. “Whoever established the high road, and how high it should be, should be fired.” — Sandra Bullock
9. “The high road is always respected. Honesty and integrity are always rewarded.” — Scott Hamilton
10. “Taking the high road is hard work; walking uphill requires strength and effort.” — Rachel St. John Gilbert
“Take the high road” quotes to inspire you
There is something special about taking the high road.
11. “Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.” — Lao Tzu
12. “When you take the high road, you will see things that some people can’t.” ― Shannon L. Alder
13. “Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.” — Brad Meltzer
14. “Those who travel the high road of humility are not troubled by heavy traffic.” — Alan K. Simpson
15. “The high road is always respected. Honesty and integrity are always rewarded.” — Scott Hamilton
16. “Love is a helium-based emotion; Love always takes the high road.” — Augusten Burroughs
17. “Sometimes letting go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.” — Eckhart Tolle
18. “Which will you take, the high road or the low road?” “Which one is longer?” “They’re both short.” — Yasutaka Tsutsui
19. “I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to cause then there’s more room for me on the low road.” — Aziz Ansari
20. “Pray for the strength to walk the high road, which at times may be lonely but which will lead to peace and happiness and joy.” — Gordon B. Hinckley
Insightful “take the high road” quotes
You can see much more from the high road.
21. “Anyone can take the low road; walking downhill is easy.” — Rachel St. John Gilbert
22. “Michelle Obama is somebody who really wants to take the high road.” — Jodi Kantor
23. “You take the high road, and I will take the low road.” — Buckwheat, The Little Rascals
24. “Step with care and great tact, and remember that life’s a great balancing act.” — Dr. Seuss
25. “Never sacrifice your class to get even with someone who has none. Let them have the gutter. You take the high road.” — Anonymous
26. “I suggest taking the high road and have a little sense of humor and let things roll off your back. I think that’s very important.” — Sally Ride
27. “Take the high road, not because you want to impress people, but because you want to be the best you can be for yourself.” — Anonymous
28. “Take the high road. No matter how much strife, and consternation, frustration, and anger you might be confronted with – don’t go to that level.” — Tim Gunn
29. “My best life advice: Take the high road. No matter how much stress, or strain, or consternation you are facing, take the high road. You will never regret it.” — Tim Gunn
30. “When you are committed to doing what’s right, you are sowing seeds for God’s blessings. You will never go wrong by taking the high road and doing more that is required.” — Joel Osteen
“Take the high road” quotes that make you think
You can never get lost taking the high road.
31. “Silence is the best response to a fool.” — Anonymous
32. “Don’t let one cloud obliterate the whole sky.” — Anais Nin
33. “It’s a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.” — Lucius Annaeus Seneca
34. “I remember my mentor once said, ‘The low road is crowded. The high road is wide open. So let’s try to take the high road.’” — Jason Silva
35. “Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances.” — Thomas Jefferson
36. “As a father, the best advice I could ever give would be to take the high road in life, and you will be able to build trusting relationships.” — Larry Wilcox
37. “All my life, I have been taught to take the high road and never to dignify salacious or false accusations, and I have been taught never, never to lie.” — Paula Abdul
38. “If you truly want to shield your children from the pain of divorce, recognize that the more you take the high road with your spouse, the better job you’ll do.” — Emily Doskow
39. “Action is a high road to self-confidence and esteem. Where it is open, all energies flow toward it. It comes readily to most people, and its rewards are tangible.” — Bruce Lee
40. “It took a lot of courage to take the high road, but I would rather be significant with six million people watching a show with meaning than everyone watching a show with no meaning.” — Oprah Winfrey
“Take the high road” quotes that will make your day
Taking the high road is an excellent rule of thumb to follow.
41. “How people treat you is their karma. How you react is yours.” — Wayne Dyer
42. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
43. “When you feel good about yourself, you won’t tear others down.” — Anonymous
44. “The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.” — Marcus Aurelius
45. “Show respect, even to people who don’t deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.” — Dave Willis
46. “Don’t sacrifice your peace trying to point out someone’s true colors. Lack of character always reveals itself in the end.” — Mandy Hale
47. “We are going on swinging bravely forward along the grand high road, and already behind the distant mountains is the promise of the sun.” — Winston Churchill
48. “Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.” — Margaret Thatcher
49. “Sometimes, this is a tough one; not everyone can handle the truth. Sometimes you have to take a beat. But if you can take that beat and take the high road, it’ll serve you in the long run.” — Jeremy Piven
50. “I’ve lost a lot. I’ve lost money, and my reputation has taken a hit for taking the high road to protect my dignity, to protect children, and for other good causes. But I don’t think there’s ever too steep a price for doing the right thing.” — Gabrielle Union
Why should I take the high road?
Taking the high road is not something you do because you want to impress people or show off to others.
Taking the high road is for you!
You take the high road because you want your choices and actions to reflect your values.
Taking the high road allows a person to live regret free.
We can live in peace if we know that every choice or action is made with our best intention.
We can still make mistakes or have misunderstandings, but when we know our intent is pure, we can forgive ourselves and move on.
Actress Gabrielle Union has faced backlash from people who judge her lifestyle or parenting choices.
Yet, she perseveres, noting, “I don’t think there’s ever too steep a price for doing the right thing.”
We should all feel compelled to strive to be our best.
As humans, we will fall short sometimes, but we have to keep going.
What was your favorite “take the high road” quotes and sayings?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comments section below.