Cleopatra Quotes That Personify the Queen of the Nile
March 18, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Cleopatra is a fascinating historical figure.
There is enough intrigue and scandal surrounding her reign to keep her relevant, even though she died over 2000 years ago.
You may also enjoy our article on:
The Content Marketing Institute reports that visual content, like quotes with high-quality graphics or images, is more likely to be shared on social media.
By creating visually appealing graphics featuring Cleopatra quotes, you can increase the likelihood that your article will be shared widely, reaching a larger audience and boosting your website’s traffic and engagement.
The Cleopatra that we refer to was actually the 7th in a line of Ptolemaic rulers.
She was born in Egypt, but her ancestors migrated from Greece, which is why she has a Greek name that means, “she who comes from glorious father.”
What is Cleopatra most known for?
Historically, it is the way she influenced Roman politics and ruled her kingdom.
Salaciously, it is her infamous relationship with two notable Romans: Julias Ceaser, the Roman emperor, and Marc Antony, a Roman politician and general.
In modern representation, Cleopatra is a sex symbol, often portrayed by gorgeous women like Monica Bellucci, Elizabeth Taylor, Leonor Varela, and Vivien Leigh.
These Cleopatra quotes are not necessarily historically accurate, as some of them come from works of literature and entertainment.
Don’t forget to also check out these P.T. Barnum quotes that reveal the truth about the great showman.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Cleopatra quotes about the men in her life
The National Endowment for the Arts found that reading for pleasure is strongly linked to academic achievement, especially in young people.
By sharing Cleopatra quotes, you can encourage readers to pick up a book and engage with literature, potentially improving their academic performance and critical thinking skills.
1. “In praising Antony, I have dispraised Caesar.” ― Cleopatra
You will also enjoy our article on queen quotes.
2. [At Marc Antony’s tomb:] “Nothing could part us in life, but now in death, we are likely to change places, you the Roman lying here in Egyptian soil, and I, helpless woman that I am, being buried in Italy.” ― Cleopatra
You will also enjoy our article on elizabeth taylor quotes.
3. “Is he a good man?” “Define ‘good’.” ― Cleopatra
You will also enjoy our article on authenticity quotes.
4. “If you find him sad, say I am dancing. If in mirth, report that I am sudden sick.” ― William Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra
You will also enjoy our article on gemini quotes and sayings.
5. “Apollodorus came, Caesar saw, Cleopatra conquered.” ― Stacy Schiff, Cleopatra: A Life
You will also enjoy our article on makeup quotes.
6. [As she applies the second asp to her arm.] “I can no more. O Antony!– Nay, I will take thee too.” ― Cleopatra
You will also enjoy our article on lighthouse quotes.
7. “Fool! Don’t you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times, had I been able to live without you?” ― Cleopatra
You will also enjoy our article on welcome quotes.
8. “Give, you gods, give to your boy, your Caesar, the rattle of a globe to play withal, This gewgaw world, and put him cheaply off: I’ll not be pleased with less than Cleopatra.”— John Dryden 1678 Anthony. All for Love, or The World Well Lost, act 2, sc.1.
Classic Cleopatra quotes
The Pew Research Center reports that women are more likely than men to use social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram for entertainment and inspiration.
By featuring Cleopatra quotes on social media, you can target a female audience who is interested in learning from the experiences and wisdom of successful women.
9. “I will not be triumphed over.” — Cleopatra
You will also enjoy our article on William Shakespeare quotes.
10. “My honor was not yielded, but conquered merely.” — Cleopatra
11. “And make death proud to take us.” — Cleopatra
12. “All strange and terrible events are welcome, but comforts we despise.” — Cleopatra
13. “Leave the fishing-rod, Great General, to us sovereigns of Pharos and Canopus. Your game is cities and kings and continents.” — Cleopatra
14. “Be it known that we, the greatest, are misthought.” — Cleopatra
15. “Celerity is never more admired than by the negligent.” — Cleopatra
16. “It is my birth-day: I had thought to have held it poor: but, since my lord Is Antony again, I will be Cleopatra.” — Cleopatra
Cleopatra quotes from written works
17. “I will even not rant about treachery. I was brought up in a sea of treachery and deceit and betrayal. I swam in it like a perch in the Nile. I am completely at home in it. I shall not drown.” ― Margaret George, The Memoirs of Cleopatra
18. “She nonetheless survives as a wanton temptress, not the last time a genuinely powerful woman has been transmuted into a shamelessly seductive one.” ― Stacy Schiff, Cleopatra: A Life
19. “The name Cleopatra wakens the world to life.” ― Carmen Boullosa, Cleopatra Dismounts
20. And with Cæsar to take in his hand the army, the empire, and Cleopatra, and say, “All these will I relinquish if you will show me the fountain of the Nile.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
21. “Cleopatra VII would have described herself as a Greek. Whatever the racial ingredients of her Macedonian ancestors, her language, like theirs (though they had spoken a dialect), was Greek and so was her whole education and culture.” — Michael Grant, From Alexander to Cleopatra: The Hellenistic World”, Scribner Paper Fiction
Cleopatra Quotes About Dismissal
22. “Melt Egypt into Nile!” — William Shakespeare, ‘Antony And Cleopatra
23. “Eternity was in our lips and in our eyes.” — Cleopatra
24. “My salad days, When I was green in judgement, cold in blood.” — Cleopatra
25. “In praising Antony I have dispraised Caesar.” — Cleopatra
26. “Give me my robe. Put on my crown. I have Immortal longings in me. Now no more. The juice of Egypt’s grape shall moist this lip.” — Cleopatra
27. “O happy horse, to bear the weight of Antony!” — Cleopatra
28. “Antony, Shall be brought drunken forth, and I shall see. Some squeaking Cleopatra boy my greatness. I’th’posture of a whore.” — Cleopatra
29. “My honour was not yielded but conquered merely.” — Cleopatra.
30. “The odds is gone. And there is nothing left remarkable. Beneath the visiting moon.” — Cleopatra
31. “You have such bony knees.” — Cleopatra
Short Cleopatra Quotes for Being Bold
32. “There are never enough hours in the days of a queen, and her nights have too many.” — Cleopatra
33. “But neither you nor any other barbarian has the right to destroy one human thought!” — Cleopatra
34. “And I have always known.” — Cleopatra
35. “How dare you and the rest of your barbarians set fire to my library!” — Cleopatra
36. “My breasts are full of love and life. My hips are round and well apart. Such women, they say, have sons.” — Cleopatra
37. “The way to prevent war is to be ready for it.” — Cleopatra
38. “I will not be told where I can go and where I cannot go.” — Cleopatra
39. “There are never enough hours in the days of a queen, and her nights have too many.” — Cleopatra
40. “The corridors are dark gentlemen, but you mustn’t be afraid. I am with you.” — Cleopatra
41. “Better too late than never.” — Cleopatra
Thought Provoking Cleopatra Quotes
42. “I was full of myth, which is to say full of an idea.” — Cleopatra
43. “You will therefore assume the position of a suppliant before this throne. You will kneel.” — Cleopatra
44. “If it be love indeed, tell me how much.” — Cleopatra
45. “Give me to drink Mandragora.” — Cleopatra
46. “I was full of myth, which is to say full of an idea.” — Cleopatra
47. “Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale. Her infinite variety […] she makes hungry Where most she satisfies; for vilest things Become themselves in her.” — William Shakespeare, ‘Antony And Cleopatra
48. “And Anthony, Enthroned i’th’market-place, did sit alone Whistling to th’air, which but for vacancy Had gone to gaze on Cleopatra too, And made a gap in Nature.” — William Shakespeare, ‘Antony And Cleopatra
49. “That something is not impossible does not mean that it happened.” — Adrian Goldsworthy
50. “Cleopatra was exhausting to play, but also completely exhilarating. She creates her own energy.” — Harriet Walter
51. “In nature’s infinite book of secrecy A little I can read.” — William Shakespeare, ‘Antony And Cleopatra’.
What did you learn from these Cleopatra quotes?
Cleopatra, in actual life, was not as beautiful as the actresses that portrayed her.
There is some thought that she made herself look more masculine so she could exude power.
She was intelligent and witty, but that was overlooked to smear her name and paint her as a brazen woman.
She didn’t live to see the age of 40 and committed suicide.
Her death itself is shrouded in mystery.
Evidently, her first attempt at suicide was thought out and plotted with the intent of hurting Mark Antony.
That attempt didn’t go as planned, and she was to be brought back to Rome.
The most accepted story is that she was bit by an asp.
She had a history of poisonous deaths in her past, and historians believe poison played a role in her suicide.
Do you have a favorite Cleopatra quote or story?
Leave it in the comments below!