Elizabeth Taylor is one of classic Hollywood’s most notable starlets. However, there is more to her than just a pretty face that made studios money. She was the first celebrity to have their own perfume brand. Her jewelry collection was the envy of women everywhere, and she mentions her love of fragrance and gems in several of these Elizabeth Taylor quotes.
Taylor was an activist for people with HIV/AIDS, founding the National AIDS Research Foundation. She would go toe to toe with Presidents about the AIDS pandemic, including Reagan, Bush, and Clinton.
She also founded the Elizabeth Taylor Medical Center, which provided free testing and care. Elizabeth became involved in the cause after her friend Rock Hudson died from the disease.
Taylor accomplished a lot of good in the world, through her philanthropy, skills as a businesswoman, and talent as an actress. Unfortunately, her private life always got the bulk of the attention. We hope you enjoy reading these Elizabeth Taylor quotes!
Don’t forget to also read these revealing Judy Garland quotes about the star’s life.
Elizabeth Taylor quotes about perfume and jewels
1. “I adore wearing gems, but not because they are mine. You can’t possess radiance, you can only admire it.” — Elizabeth Taylor
2. “My mother says I didn’t open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked.” — Elizabeth Taylor
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of engagement quotes about the power of commitment and love.
3. “Big girls need big diamonds.” — Elizabeth Taylor
4. “I always wanted to have a fragrance, and I always wanted to be able to connect with people in ways other than through film.” — Elizabeth Taylor
5. “Fragrance is an incredibly intimate thing. It can evoke very specific thoughts or memories and is a little different for each person who wears it. I also think it’s the most accessible luxury.” — Elizabeth Taylor
6. “I never face the day without perfume.” — Elizabeth Taylor
7. “The beauty of fragrance is that it speaks to your heart and hopefully someone else’s.” — Elizabeth Taylor
8. “I love to be casual and comfortable, but I also love the easy glamour of wearing jewelry all the time.” — Elizabeth Taylor
Elizabeth Taylor quotes about marriage and her spouses
9. “Marriage is a great institution.” — Elizabeth Taylor
10. “I’ve only slept with men I’ve been married to. How many women can make that claim?” — Elizabeth Taylor
11. “I don’t pretend to be an ordinary housewife.” — Elizabeth Taylor
12. “I am a very committed wife. And I should be committed too – for being married so many times.” — Elizabeth Taylor
13. “I suppose when they reach a certain age some men are afraid to grow up. It seems the older the men get, the younger their new wives get.” — Elizabeth Taylor
14. “I left home as soon as I could when I was 18. I thought I was in love and got married – the press called it Prince Charming and Cinderella. He was a Hilton, so I was the poor little Cinderella. And when I got a divorce nine months later, I never told the court why. But he was cruel.” — Elizabeth Taylor
15. “I never planned to acquire a lot of jewels or a lot of husbands. For me, life happened, just as it does for anyone else.” — Elizabeth Taylor
Elizabeth Taylor quotes on acting
16. “Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses.” — Elizabeth Taylor
17. “I really don’t remember much about Cleopatra. There were a lot of other things going on.” — Elizabeth Taylor
18. “Everything makes me nervous – except making films.” — Elizabeth Taylor
19. “Acting is fun. It’s not my whole life. It’s not my entire being. It’s secondary to my life. My life is primary. I’m running in the primary, as you know.” — Elizabeth Taylor
20. “To me, acting is a matter of absolute concentration. You can laugh and giggle with your friends up to the minute the director says, “Action!” Then you snap your mind into shape and into the character that you’re playing and relate to the people that you’re acting with and forget everybody else that you’ve been joking with.” — Elizabeth Taylor
21. “Just in case you get pneumonia or die. The dangerous bits are always the last days of shooting.” — Elizabeth Taylor
22. “Being able to go on location and see the world was the greatest perk of all.” — Elizabeth Taylor
23. “I have never wanted to be a queen! Cleopatra was a role, and I am an actor, so it was fun to play one, but it’s not real.” — Elizabeth Taylor
24. “If someone’s dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I’m certainly not dumb enough to turn it down.” — Elizabeth Taylor
Elizabeth Taylor quotes that give a glimpse into her personality
25. “I’m a survivor – a living example of what people can go through and survive.” — Elizabeth Taylor
26. “I fell off my pink cloud with a thud.” — Elizabeth Taylor
27. “I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I’m not afraid to look behind them.” — Elizabeth Taylor
28. “When people say, ‘She’s got everything’, I’ve got one answer – I haven’t had tomorrow.” — Elizabeth Taylor
29. “I have a woman’s body and a child’s emotions.” — Elizabeth Taylor
30. “So much to do, so little done, such things to be.” — Elizabeth Taylor
31. “I sweat real sweat, and I shake real shakes.” — Elizabeth Taylor
32. “I’ve always admitted that I’m ruled by my passions.” — Elizabeth Taylor
33. “I think I’m finally growing up – and about time.” — Elizabeth Taylor
34. “I’ve been through it all, baby, I’m mother courage.” — Elizabeth Taylor
35. “The problem with people who have no vices is that generally, you can be pretty sure they’re going to have some pretty annoying virtues.” — Elizabeth Taylor
36. “People who know me well, call me Elizabeth. I dislike Liz.” — Elizabeth Taylor
37. “It’s all about hope, kindness, and a connection with one another.” — Elizabeth Taylor
38. “You just do it. You force yourself to get up. You force yourself to put one foot before the other, and God damn it, you refuse to let it get to you. You fight. You cry. You curse. Then you go about the business of living. That’s how I’ve done it. There’s no other way.” — Elizabeth Taylor
39. “The things that are important to me – being a mother, a businesswoman, an activist – are all things that were borne out of great passion.” — Elizabeth Taylor
40. “I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I’m not afraid to look behind them.” — Elizabeth Taylor
Elizabeth Taylor quotes, words of wisdom, advice, and opinions
41. “It is strange that the years teach us patience; that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting.” — Elizabeth Taylor
42. “You find out who your real friends are when you’re involved in a scandal.” — Elizabeth Taylor
43. “It’s not the having, it’s the getting.” — Elizabeth Taylor
44. “Success is a great deodorant.” — Elizabeth Taylor
45. “I haven’t read any of the autobiographies about me.” — Elizabeth Taylor
46. “I don’t think President Bush is doing anything at all about Aids. In fact, I’m not sure he even knows how to spell Aids.” — Elizabeth Taylor
47. “I have never felt more alive than when I watched my children delight in something, never more alive than when I have watched a great artist perform, and never richer than when I have scored a big check to fight AIDS.” — Elizabeth Taylor
48. “Put on some lipstick and pull yourself together.” — Elizabeth Taylor
49. “All of my life I’ve spent a lot of time with gay men – Montgomery Clift, Jimmy Dean, Rock Hudson – who are my colleagues, coworkers, confidantes, my closest friends, but I never thought of who they slept with! They were just the people I loved. I could never understand why they couldn’t be afforded the same rights and protections as all of the rest of us. There is no gay agenda, it’s a human agenda.” — Elizabeth Taylor
50. “You can be fat and still be sexy. It all depends on how you feel about yourself.” — Elizabeth Taylor
What did you learn from these Elizabeth Taylor quotes?
Elizabeth Taylor was stunning, which helped her land roles like that of Cleopatra. It might also be the reason she was married so many times. Elizabeth Taylor was married eight times to seven men.
MGM organized her dates, she was briefly engaged to the son of a senator, and Howard Hughes offered a large sum of money to her parents if he could marry her—all before her first wedding at 18. Which just sounds creepy and awful.
MGM paid for her elaborate wedding to the heir of the Hilton Hotels, Conrad “Nicky” Hilton Jr. However, that marriage only lasted eight months because he was an abusive alcoholic.
A year later she married a man 20 years older than she was, Michael Wilding, because she wanted companionship and he wanted to reinvigorate his sluggish career. Four years and two children later, they were divorced.
She married her third husband, Mike Todd, in February 1957, a year after her divorce. The couple had a daughter, and then Mike Todd died in a tragic plane crash. In her grief, she turned to his friend Eddie Fisher, who was married to Debbie Reynolds. The public called Elizabeth a home-wrecker.
Debbie and Eddie divorced, and he married Elizabeth in 1959. By 1962, Elizabeth and co-star Richard Burton were having an affair. Elizabeth and Fisher were divorced in 1964, and she married Richard 10 days after it was final. They were married for ten years before divorcing in 1974, only to get remarried in 1975.
However, that marriage lasted less than a year with Elizabeth saying, “After Richard, the men in my life were just there to hold the coat, to open the door. All the men after Richard were really just company.” The men after Richard included a Republican politician and a construction worker, who she married at Michael Jackson’s home.
Elizabeth lived a jet-setting extravagant life, but I can’t help feel like she was incredibly lonely. At least, she remained friends with her last husband for 15 years after their divorce.
Do you have any Elizabeth Taylor quotes and sayings you would like to add? Leave them in the comments below.
January 14, 2021 7:00 AM EST