Dan Quayle served as the 44th vice president of the United States of America under President George H. W. Bush. These quotes from Dan Quayle will give you insight into the politics, leadership, and the government of the American people during Quayle’s time in office.
Do you know how to spell potato?
Some may argue that Dan Quayle was an active and effective politician during his term, but every person in office has those who oppose them. Unfortunately, Quayle made it easy for his critics to create an undesirable reputation for the vice president.
Quayle made many misstatements during his time in office. Once, while visiting an elementary school spelling bee, Quayle incorrectly corrected a student who had spelled “potato” correctly by telling him to add an “e” to the end.
Quayle stood by his misstatements and attributed most of them to becoming “tongue-tied” during press conferences.
Despite his vocabulary blunders, Quayle led a successful political career with many accomplishments.
Learn more about Dan Quayle and his political career in the Dan Quayle quotes below.
Don’t forget to also check out these vice president quotes that will change the way you view America’s second most important person.
Dan Quayle quotes about politics
1. “I do have a political agenda. It’s to have as few regulations as possible.” – Dan Quayle
2. “We shouldn’t have to be burdened with all the technicalities that come up from time to time with shrewd, smart lawyers interpreting what the laws or what the Constitution may or may not say.” – Dan Quayle
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insightful lawyer quotes about justice for all.
3. “I’m going to be a vice president very much like George Bush was. He proved to be a very effective vice president, perhaps the most effective we’ve had in a couple of hundred years.” – Dan Quayle
4. “People who bowl vote. Bowlers are not the cultural elite.” – Dan Quayle
5. “Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.” – Dan Quayle
6. “I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican.” – Dan Quayle
7. “Republicans have been accused of abandoning the poor. It’s the other way around. They never vote for us.” – Dan Quayle
8. “Votes are like trees, if you are trying to build a forest. If you have more trees than you have forests, then at that point the pollsters will probably say you will win.” – Dan Quayle
9. “I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy – but that could change.” – Dan Quayle
10. “We will invest in our people, quality education, job opportunity, family, neighborhood, and yes, a thing we call America.” – Dan Quayle
11. “I had a good political career, and I have a good business career. I didn’t get the brass ring, but I did very well” – Dan Quayle
Dan Quayle quotes about being vice president
12. “In George Bush you get experience, and with me you get – The Future!” – Dan Quayle
13. “When you make as many speeches and you talk as much as I do and you get away from the text, it’s always a possibility to get a few words tangled here and there.” – Dan Quayle
14. “The President is going to benefit from me reporting directly to him when I arrive.” – Dan Quayle
15. “You do the policy, I’ll do the politics.” – Dan Quayle
16. “One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is ‘to be prepared.’” – Dan Quayle
Dan Quayle quotes that make logical sense
17. “For NASA, space is still a high priority.” – Dan Quayle
18. “When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.” – Dan Quayle
19. “Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.” – Dan Quayle
20. “This election is about who’s going to be the next President of the United States!” – Dan Quayle
21. “The loss of life will be irreplaceable.” – Dan Quayle
22. “We have to do more than just elect a new President if we truly want to change this country.” – Dan Quayle
Dan Quayle quotes that make us wonder
23. “The future will be better tomorrow.” – Dan Quayle
24. “It’s a question of whether we’re going to go forward into the future, or past to the back.” – Dan Quayle
25. “The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation’s history. I mean in this century’s history. But we all lived in this century. I didn’t live in this century.” – Dan Quayle
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Holocaust quotes for remembering.
26. “Mars is essentially in the same orbit . . . Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.” – Dan Quayle
27. “Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.” – Dan Quayle
28. “I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future.” – Dan Quayle
29. “We’re going to have the best-educated American people in the world.” – Dan Quayle
30. “We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe.” – Dan Quayle
31. “I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix.” – Dan Quayle
32. “It’s wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago.” – Dan Quayle
33. “Bank failures are caused by depositors who don’t deposit enough money to cover losses due to mismanagement.” – Dan Quayle
34. “This President is going to lead us out of this recovery.” – Dan Quayle
35. “Space is almost infinite. As a matter of fact, we think it is infinite.” – Dan Quayle
36. “We are ready for any unforeseen event that may not occur.” – Dan Quayle
More Dan Quayle quotes
37. “What a waste it is to lose one’s mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.” – Dan Quayle
38. “My friends, no matter how rough the road may be, we can and we will, never, never surrender to what is right.” – Dan Quayle
39. “It’s time for the human race to enter the solar system.” – Dan Quayle
40. “People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.” – Dan Quayle
41. “Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it.” – Dan Quayle
42. “The global importance of the Middle East is that it keeps the Far East and the Near East from encroaching on each other.” – Dan Quayle
43. “It’s rural America. It’s where I came from. We always refer to ourselves as real America. Rural America, real America, real, real, America.” – Dan Quayle
44. “I have a very good family. I’m very fortunate to have a very good family. I believe very strongly in the family. It’s one of the things we have in our platform, is to talk about it.” – Dan Quayle
45. “Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here.” – Dan Quayle
46. “Bobby Knight told me this: “There is nothing that a good defense—cannot beat a better offense.” In other words a good offense wins.” – Dan Quayle
47. “We don’t want to go back to tomorrow, we want to move forward” – Dan Quayle
48. “We will move forward, we will move upward, and yes, we will move onward.” – Dan Quayle
49. “Every once in a while, you let a word or phrase out and you want to catch it and bring it back. You can’t do that. It’s gone, gone forever.” – Dan Quayle
50. “I stand by all the misstatements that I’ve made.” – Dan Quayle
Did you enjoy these Dan Quayle quotes?
After his vice-presidential term ended, Dan Quayle continued his career in politics for a short while before changing industries and becoming chairman of a private investment firm. Quayle has also authored several books.
While Dan Quayle often misspoke and sometimes used words improperly, the meaning behind what he said is clear. Whether you supported Quayle as vice president or not, these Dan Quayle quotes give insight into Quayle’s beliefs in politics, family, leadership, and the government of the American people.
Do you agree with these Dan Quayle quotes and sayings? Do you have a favorite Dan Quayle quote? Let us know in the comments below.
December 18, 2020 7:00 AM EST