Our latest collection of George HW Bush quotes on Everyday Power.
Former President George H.W. Bush died on Friday, November 30, 2018. He will be remembered best for his leadership of the United States at the end of the Cold War and his service spanning a life of 94 years.
Bush led such an eventful life. Before he became the 41st President of the United States, he had served as a WWII combat pilot for the Navy and as director of the CIA.
Even after his tenure in public service, Bush continued to inspire many with his faith and hope for a better future. To honor him, here are some inspirational George H. W. Bush quotes to remember our 41st president.
Also check out these John McCain quotes about character, America and more.
George HW Bush Quotes From The 41st President
1. “I do not mistrust the future. I do not fear what is ahead. For our problems are large, but our heart is larger. Our challenges are great, but our will is greater.” – George H. W. Bush
2. “I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don’t always agree with them.” – George H. W. Bush
3. “We are a nation of communities… a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky.” – George H. W. Bush
4. “I am not one who flamboyantly believes in throwing a lot of words around.” – George H. W. Bush
5. “Old guys can still have fun and still do stuff.” – George H. W. Bush
6. “History will point out some of the things I did wrong and some of the things I did right.” – George H. W. Bush
7. “I plan to put something back into society, and not at the head table, not always in the glamour, certainly not with a lot of news attention.” – George H. W. Bush
8. “What’s wrong with being a boring kind of guy?” – George H. W. Bush
9. “No problem of human making is too great to be overcome by human ingenuity, human energy, and the untiring hope of the human spirit.” – George H. W. Bush
10. “There is nothing more fulfilling than to serve your country and your fellow citizens and to do it well.” – George H. W. Bush
Inspirational George HW Bush quotes
11. “Look to the very heart of Europe, to Berlin, and you will see a great truth shining brighter with each passing day: The quest for freedom is stronger than steel, more permanent than concrete.” – George H. W. Bush
12. “International exchanges are not a great tide to sweep away all differences, but they will slowly wear away at the obstacles to peace as surely as water wears away a hard stone.” – George H. W. Bush
13. “Be bold in your caring, be bold in your dreaming and above all else, always do your best.” – George H. W. Bush
14. “I am a conservative, but I’m not a nut about it.” – George H. W. Bush
15. “In crucial things, unity. In important things, diversity. In all things, generosity.” – George H. W. Bush
16. “To all who mourn a son, a brother, a husband, a father, a friend — I can only offer you the gratitude of a nation, for your loved one served his country with distinction and honor.” – George H. W. Bush
17. “We are not the sum of our possessions.” – George H. W. Bush
18. “In the wake of the Cold War, in a world where we are the only remaining superpower, it is the role of the United States to marshal its moral and material resources to promote a democratic peace. It is our responsibility, it is our opportunity to lead. There is no one else.” – George H. W. Bush
19. “I’m not a very good one to give advice; but just don’t let the critics discourage you or push you off course. … Your success is now our country’s success. I am rooting for you.” – George H. W. Bush
20. “You don’t have to go to college to be a success … We need the people who run the offices, the people who do the hard physical work of our society.” – George H. W. Bush
You might also like these Barbara Bush quotes for understanding the complexities of life.
George HW Bush quotes on American and Freedom
21. “We know what works. Freedom Works. We know what’s right. Freedom is right.” – George H. W. Bush
22. “We don’t want an America that is closed to the world. What we want is a world that is open to America” – George H. W. Bush
23. “I will keep America moving forward, always forward, for a better America, for an endless enduring dream and a Thousand Points of Light. This is my mission, and I will complete it.” – George H. W. Bush
24. “We’re going to keep trying to strengthen the American family. To make them more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons.” – George H. W. Bush
25. “America is never wholly herself unless she is engaged in high moral principle. We as a people have such a purpose today. It is to make kinder the face of the nation and gentler the face of the world.” – George H. W. Bush
26. “The ‘American Dream’ means giving it your all, trying your hardest, accomplishing something. And then I’d add to that, giving something back. No definition of a successful life can do anything but include serving others.” – George H. W. Bush
27. “I stand for anti-bigotry, anti-Semitism, and anti-racism.” – George H. W. Bush
28. “Freedom and the power to choose should not be the privilege of wealth. They are the birthright of every American.” – George H. W. Bush
29. “America must always reject racial bigotry, anti-Semitism, and hatred in all forms. As we pray for Charlottesville, we are reminded of the fundamental truths recorded by that city’s most prominent citizen in the Declaration of Independence: we are all created equal and endowed by our Creator with unalienable rights. We know these truths to be everlasting because we have seen the decency and greatness of our country.” – George H. W. Bush
30. “I will never apologize for the United States — I don’t care what the facts are. … I’m not an apologize-for-America kind of guy.” – George H. W. Bush
George HW Bush quotes to remember him
31. “Don’t confuse being ‘soft’ with seeing the other guy’s point of view.” – George H. W. Bush
32. “Think about every problem, every challenge, we face. The solution to each starts with education.” – George H. W. Bush
33. “I do not like broccoli, and I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m president of the United States, and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli.” – George H. W. Bush
34. “The Congress will push me to raise taxes, and I’ll say no, and they’ll push, and I’ll say no, and they’ll push again. And I’ll say to them: ‘Read my lips, no new taxes.'” – George H. W. Bush
35. “No generation can escape history.” – George H. W. Bush
36. “It’s much worse to read criticism about your son than yourself.” – George H. W. Bush
37. “Who would have thought that I would be working with Bill Clinton, of all people? … It’s been an eye-opening and enjoyable experience for me to work with him on something truly apolitical,” – George H. W. Bush
38. “Aging’s all right. Better than the alternative, which is not being here.” – George H. W. Bush
39. “I’m elated, I’m just not an emotional kind of guy.” – George H. W. Bush
40. “A President is neither prince nor pope, and I don’t seek a window on men’s souls. In fact, I yearn for a greater tolerance, an easy-goingness about each other’s attitudes and way of life.” – George H. W. Bush
Also check out these wise presidential quotes from past presidents.
Insightful George HW Bush quotes
41. “You cannot be President of the United States if you don’t have faith. Remember Lincoln, going to his knees in times of trial in the Civil War and all that stuff.” – George H. W. Bush
42. “I hope my own children never have to fight a war.” – George H. W. Bush
43. “I learned more from Ronald Reagan than from anyone I encountered in all my years of public life.” – George H. W. Bush
44. “Losing is never easy. Trust me, I know something about that.” – George H. W. Bush
45. “Let me tell you, this gender thing is history. You’re looking at a guy who sat down with Margaret Thatcher across the table and talked about serious issues.” – George H. W. Bush
46. “Never ask anyone over 70 how they feel. They’ll tell you.” – George H. W. Bush
47. “There is no higher honor than to serve free men and women, no greater privilege than to labor in government beneath the Great Seal of the United States and the American flag.” – George H. W. Bush
48. “Still hard to believe I had the honor to serve as President.” – George H. W. Bush
49. “The heart of our government is not here in Washington, it’s in every county office, every town, every city across this land. Wherever the people of America are, that’s where the heart of our government is.” – George H. W. Bush
50. “The world must know and understand: From this hour, from this day, from this hall, we step forth with a new sense of purpose, a new sense of possibilities. We stand together, prepared to swim upstream, to march uphill, to tackle the tough challenges as they come.” – George H. W. Bush
More George HW Bush quotes
51. “The anchor in our world today is freedom, holding us steady in times of change, a symbol of hope to all the world.” – George H. W. Bush
52. “If the people were to ever find out what we have done, we would be chased down the streets and lynched.” – George H. W. Bush
53. “We need an independent media to hold people like me to account.” – George H. W. Bush
54. “Education is not complete unless we teach our children not only how to read and write but the difference between right and wrong.” – George H. W. Bush
55. “I believe with all my heart that one cannot be America’s president without a belief in God, without the strength that your faith gives you.” – George H. W. Bush
56. “Let the shameful walls of exclusion finally come tumbling down.” – George H. W. Bush
57. “Whoever says Americas best days are behind it are looking the wrong direction.” – George H. W. Bush
58. “This is a fact: Strength in the pursuit of peace is no vice; isolation in the pursuit of security is no virtue.” – George H. W. Bush
59. “Our stewardship of the Earth is brief. We owe it to those who follow to keep that in perspective, to be responsible passengers along the way.” – George H. W. Bush
60. “Equality begins with economic empowerment.” – George H. W. Bush
Which of these George HW Bush quotes was your favorite?
George Bush Sr will be remembered for many things, among them, his achievements in foreign policy and for arranging the world into much of its present order.
As we honor the 41st president of the free world, we hope his words of wisdom have inspired you to strive for a better tomorrow for yourself and for those around you.
Did you enjoy these George HW Bush quotes? Do you have any other quote to add to the list? Feel free to share it with us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
May 5, 2019 7:32 AM EST