Detachment Quotes For Drama Fans
February 9, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Fans of drama movies will love these Detachment quotes from the 2012 movie.
Detachment was released in Tribeca in 2011 and in the United States in 2012 as a drama written by Carl Lund.
Tell us your favorite Detachment quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Detachment quotes?
Tony Kaye directed the movie, which stars Adrien Brody, Marcia Gay Harden, Lucy Liu, William Petersen, Bryan Cranston, and Christina Hendricks, among others.
The movie’s plot follows one month in the lives of several high school students, teachers, and administrators, as seen through the eyes of substitute teacher Henry Barthes.
Henry sees all the proceedings at the school through his own altered viewpoint as he is still dealing with the suicide of his mother and the impending death of his sick grandfather.
We can learn several lessons from Detachment, including:
- we all have a responsibility to be caring
- recognize your own flaws before pointing out those of others
- you never know what someone else is going through
Take a look at these Detachment quotes to learn more about the movie.
Wise Detachment Quotes
Here are some wise quotes by the characters in the movie.
1. “Life is very, very confusing.” ― Henry
2. “Just listen to me: we’re all the same.” ― Henry
3. “Unfortunately, most people lack self-awareness.” ― Henry
4. “We all need skills to defend, to preserve, our own minds.” ― Henry
5. “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.” ― Meredith
6. “We all need something to distract us from the complexity of reality.” ― Henry
7. “How are you to imagine anything if the images are always provided for you?” ― Henry
8. “I’m afraid you’ve gotten f**ked and thrown away so many times you’ve gotten used to it.” ― Henry
9. “Twenty-four hours a day for the rest of our lives, the powers that be are hard at work dumbing us to death.” ― Henry
10. “Life is an ocean of chaos, and the realization that you are the one supposed to throw the buoy while struggling to stay afloat is devastating.” ― Henry
Insightful Detachment Quotes
Enjoy these insightful quotes from the movie.
11. “You’re like, the only family I’ve ever had…” ― Erica
12. “It’s deliberately beginning in lies while knowing they’re false.” ― Henry
13. “I don’t remember much; I lost the habit. You can’t think in this place; you can’t make new memories.” ― Grampa
14. “Some of us believe that we can make a difference, and then sometimes we wake up, and then realize we failed.” ― Henry
15. “There should be a prerequisite, a curriculum for being a parent before people attempt. Don’t try this at home!” ― Henry
16. “To defend ourselves and fight against assimilating this dullness into our thought processes, we must learn to read.” ― Henry
17. “A child’s intelligent heart can fathom the depth of many dark places, but can it fathom the delicate moment of its own detachment?” ― Henry
18. “We have such a responsibility to guide our young so that they don’t end up falling apart, falling by the wayside, becoming insignificant.” ― Henry
19. “No one wants to think about where that came from; no one wants to think about the struggle that it takes to become somebody, to get out of the sea of pain that we all have to get out of.” ― Henry
20. “I’m a substitute teacher; there’s no real responsibility to teach. Your responsibility is to maintain order, make sure nobody hills anybody in your classroom, and then they get to their next period.” ―Henry
Does Henry Make a Difference?
While Henry is faced with multiple challenges in his own life, he still invests in other faculty, students, and a sex worker named Erica that he takes in.
Henry cannot save or help them all.
He even loses a student to suicide, but he ends up getting Erica help and is a friend to her when she has none.
Please share these Detachment quotes with your friends.
Let us know your favorite quote in the comment section below.