These profound suicide quotes can bring you insight and comfort during difficult times.
If you or someone you know is considering suicide, getting professional help is the first and most important step.
Here is the hotline website where someone can help you right now.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading suicide quotes?
These quotes about suicide may help you understand the complexities of the situation.
Reading this collection of quotes:
- Will offer strength and guidance during the darkest times when all hope seems lost
- Help raise awareness and inspire prevention
- Give you some perspective of what someone you love might be feeling
Even if you are not feeling suicidal, these quotes may help you navigate obstacles in your life by offering a new perspective.
What drives people to consider suicide?
Mental illness, environmental factors, and other variables can all drive people to consider suicide.
The following insights into suicide come from the minds of survivors, experts, and other individuals who have been affected firsthand.
It is vitally important to spread awareness and prevent suicides globally.
If you or someone you know has suicidal thoughts, seek help from a mental healthcare professional immediately.
Remember, things can get better, and healing is possible.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Suicide quotes for strength and guidance
1. “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.” – Phil Donahue
2. “Hope is a necessity for normal life and the major weapon against the suicide impulse.” – Karl A. Menninger
3. “The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.” – Juliette Lewis
4. “Never never never give up.” – Winston Churchill
5. “Suicide is not a blot on anyone’s name; it is a tragedy.” – Kay Redfield Jamison
6. “Drunkenness is temporary suicide.” – Bertrand Russell
7. “We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.” – George Sand
8. “Suicide doesn’t solve your problems. It only makes them infinitely, un-countably worse.” – Sinead O’Connor
9. “But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” – Albert Camus
10. “All things are difficult before they are easy.” – Thomas Fuller
Suicide quotes that bring insight and comfort during difficult times
11. “The thought that I might kill myself formed in my mind coolly as a tree or a flower.” – Sylvia Plath
12. “Suicide is not an answer, it’s destruction.” – Al Green
13. “Suicide leaves everyone feeling guilty.” – Robert Harris
14. “A suicide kills two people, Maggie, that’s what it’s for!” – Arthur Miller
15. “A book is a suicide postponed.” – Emil Cioran
16. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” — John Green
17. “When it is darkest, we can see the stars.”— Ralph Waldo Emerson
18. “One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks.” — Jack Penn
19. “Suicide is the last attempt of re-emergence of the will of life.” ― Lamine Pearlheart
20. “If your heart is still beating, God is not done with you yet.” — Dillion Burroughs
Suicide quotes to help you understand the complexities of the situation
21. “Suicide is not a remedy.” – James A. Garfield
22. “It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.” – Emil Cioran
23. “Soak up the views. Take in the bad weather and the good weather. You are not the storm.” – Matt Haig
24. “There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.” – C. S. Lewis
25. “It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
26. “The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.” – Voltaire
27. “There are many who dare not kill themselves for fear of what the neighbors will say.” – Cyril Connolly
28. “The literal meaning of life is whatever you’re doing that prevents you from killing yourself.” – Albert Camus
29. “If you ever think about giving up, remember why you held on for so long.” – Hayley Williams
30. “Write something, even if it’s just a suicide note.”—Gore Vidal
Suicide quotes to raise awareness and inspire prevention
31. “Gay teenagers are four times as likely to attempt suicide as straight ones. I wish they knew that there’s nothing wrong with them; that they are just a different shade of normal.” – Jodi Picoult
32. “To anyone out there who’s hurting — it’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength.” – Barack Obama
33. “On average, since the urge to kill myself isn’t so strong that I actually kill myself, the world is worth living in.” – Tao Lin
34. “Its so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself. That’s above and beyond everything else, and it’s not a mental complaint – it’s a physical thing, like it’s physically hard to open your mouth and make the words come out.” – Ned Vizzini
35. “Suicide. A sideways word, a word that people whisper and mutter and cough: a word that must be squeezed out behind cupped palms or murmured behind closed doors. It was only in dreams that I heard the word shouted, screamed.” – Lauren Oliver
36. “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
37. “Yeah, because you’ll really be showing them, won’t you. Talk about cutting up your wrists to spite your fate.” – Alexander Gordon Smith
38. “Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse, suicide eliminates the possibility of it ever getting better.” – Kat Calhoun
39. “The person who completes suicide, dies once. Those left behind die a thousand deaths, trying to relive those terrible moments and understand… why?” – Clark
40. “I wonder if it will rain after we die. When you kill yourself, you don’t know what happens next, afterward.” – Albert Borris
Suicide quotes to bring comfort and understanding
41. “Suicide creates a monstrous emotional upsurge of shame and guilt. Everyone participates in feeling responsible and even shamed at knowing the suicidal candidate.” – Linda Lee Landon
42. “Would Hamlet have felt the delicious fascination of suicide if he hadn’t had an audience, and lines to speak?” – Jean Genet
43. “All suicides have the responsibility of fighting against the temptation of suicide. Every one of them knows very well in some corner of his soul that suicide, though a way out, is rather a mean and shabby one, and that it is nobler and finer to be conquered by life than to fall by one’s own hand.” – Hermann Hesse
44. “To run away from trouble is a form of cowardice and, while it is true that the suicide braves death, he does it not for some noble object but to escape some ill.” – Aristotle
45. “No one ever committed suicide while reading a good book, but many have tried while trying to write one.” – Robert Byrne
46. “In most cases, suicide is a solitary event and yet it has often far-reaching repercussions for many others. It is rather like throwing a stone into a pond; the ripples spread and spread.” – Alison Wertheimer
47. “I think suicide is sort of like cancer was 50 years ago. People don’t want to talk about it, they don’t want to know about it. People are frightened of it, and they don’t understand, when actually these issues are medically treatable.” – Judy Collins
48. “If someone listens, or stretches out a hand, or whispers a word of encouragement, or attempts to understand a lonely person, extraordinary things begin to happen.” – Loretta Girzartis
49. “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” – Christian D. Larson
50. “Death is easy. To live is the most painful thing I could imagine and I’m weak and no longer willing to fight.” – Hannah Wright
Suicide quotes that will make you think twice
51. “I think many people kill themselves simply to stop the debate about whether they will or they won’t.” – Susanna Kaysen
52. “Suicide only really frightens those who are never tempted by it and never will be, for its darkness only welcomes those who are predestined to it.” – Georges Bernanos
53. “I could never kill myself. I approve of suicide if you have horrible health. Otherwise, it’s the ultimate hissy fit.” – John Waters
54. “The suicide passes a judgment. Society does not care to examine the judgment, but in defense of itself as is, condemns the suicide.” – Robert E. Neale
55. “It’s better to have a gay life of it than to commit suicide.” – Vincent Willem van Gogh
56. “Suicide may be a choice, but not as much as it is expected when everything else fails.” – Mark Brightlife
57. “Life is short enough, there is nothing worth here to take your life, and those things we do gain can never be taken to our grave.” – Anthony Liccione
58. “One, who suicides, is itself a killer and itself a victim. To trigger that has its decision, and own will, no one else.” – Ehsan Sehgal
59. “Every bad institution of this world ends by suicide.” – Victor Hugo
60. “People, don’t commit suicide because they’re weak. They commit suicide because they have no reason to be strong.” – Cave Man
61. “No one ever lacks a good reason for suicide.” —Cesare Pavese
62. “They tell us that Suicide is the greatest piece of Cowardice… That Suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in this world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.”—Arthur Schopenhauer
63. “There is something great and terrible about suicide.”—Honore de Balzac
64. “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.”—Arnold J. Toynbee
65. “The suicide arrives at the conclusion that what he is seeking does not exist; the seeker concludes that what he has not yet looked in the right place.”—Paul Watzlawick
Suicide prevention quotes
66. “When you are tempted to give up, your breakthrough is probably just around the corner.” — Joyce Meyer
67. “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start now and make a brand new ending.” — Carl Bard
68. “Killing myself was a matter of such indifference to me that I felt like waiting for a moment when it would make some difference.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
69. “The great thing about suicide is that it’s not one of those things you have to do now or you lose your chance. I mean, you can always do it later.” – Harvey Fierstein
70. “When people kill themselves, they think they’re ending the pain, but all they’re doing is passing it on to those they leave behind.” – Jeannette Walls
71. “That’s the thing about suicide. Try as you might to remember how a person lived his life, you always end up thinking about how he ended it.” – Anderson Cooper
72. “Nothing in my life has ever made me want to commit suicide more than people’s reaction to my trying to commit suicide.” – Emilie Autumn
73. “The harder the journey the more glorious the victory.” — Melissa Dohme
74. “There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that… But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.” — Gerard Way
75. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
More suicide quotes and sayings
76. “Living each day is one of the most extraordinary acts of courage” – Jennifer Betts
77. “Perhaps the saddest irony of depression is that suicide happens when the patient gets a little better and can again function sufficiently.” – Dick Cavett
78. “We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” — Carlos Castaneda
79. “Often it feels like I am breathing today only because a few years back I had no idea which nerve to cut…”—Sanhita Baruah
80. “Everybody goes through difficult times, but it is those who push through those difficult times who will eventually become successful in life. Don’t give up, because this too shall pass.”— Jeanette Coron
81. “No one commits suicide because they want to die. Then why do they do it?” Because they want to stop the pain.” – Tiffanie DeBartolo
82. “There is beauty in the journey, regardless of the outcome. Let’s grieve and hope and fight together.” — Marie White
83. “No man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping.”—David Hume
84. “They would rather have you messy and alive than not there at all.”— Jazz Thornton
85. “I am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me.”—David Levithan
Suicide quotes to give you hope and a reminder you matter
86. “Don’t give up. Don’t give in. Wake up, release your warrior and tell your demons, ‘Not today!’” – Helen Edwards
87. “It’s not about battling your past, but fighting for your future.” – Jazz Thornton
88. “Create an environment where getting help and discussing suicide is something we do before a life is lost and not after.” – Dexter A. Daniels
89. “By suicide, you can only hurt the people who love you.” – Sandesh Hukpachongbang
90. “You’re bigger than the sea you’re sinking in…” – Katie Beth
91. “When the devil creeps in with suicidal thoughts, don’t creep out rather flee to your pastor or a counselor before he overwhelms your soul.” – Ikechukwu Izuakor
92. “My own failed suicide attempt, led me to profession of helping others. Reach out. You are never alone.” – David Essel
93. “Don’t forget who you are and where you came from. Don’t get too emotional over little things. Don’t quit until you win the grand prize.” – Robert Randle
94. “This life. This night. Your story. Your pain. Your hope. It matters. All of it matters.” — Jamie Tworkowski
95. “Suicide is a serious thing. And if you know anyone who is suicidal, you need to get them help. No one should be in pain. Everyone should love themselves” – Gerard Way
Quotes about losing someone to suicide
96. “A person never truly gets over a suicide loss. You get through it. Day by day. Sometimes it’s moment by moment.” – Holly Kohler
97. “One day, you’ll wake up and things won’t hurt as bad. You’ll be able to remember the good things about your friend and not just the end. For me, that’s when I knew I was finally able to move on.” – Kristin Svinth
98. “Grief is like a long valley, a winding valley where any bend may reveal a totally new landscape.” – C. S. Lewis
99. “Talk about them. Be proud of them. Losing a courageous battle doesn’t make you weak.” – Jennifer Betts
100. “Sometimes only one person is missing, and the whole world feels depopulated.” – Alphonse de Lamartine
101. “Know it wasn’t your fault. Know someday you may take comfort in educating people about suicide.” – Sue Mahlburg
102. “It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” – John Steinbeck
103. “One thing I learned is however I decided to grieve is the right way for me. Everyone’s different.” – Ron Prickett
104. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” – Vicki Harrison
105. “If you’ve lost a loved one to suicide—even if you, yourself, have dealt with depression and suicidal ideation—you may often wonder why. And that’s okay. Allow yourself that space.” – Karen Espenshade
Positive quotes for suicide prevention
106. “In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer.” –
107. “The way you deal with life’s situations changes when you start to think more positively.” – Alex Uwajeh
108. “We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
109. “Only strong people can find happiness from the sadness surrounding them.” – Sahaj Oberoi
110. “The scars we sustain, the weaknesses we attain, are temporary.” – Mo Gawdat
111. “The new dawn blooms as we free it. For there is always light if only we’re brave enough to see it, if only we’re brave enough to be it.” — Laureate Amanda Gorman
112. “We will always have seasons of struggles and testing. There are times when everything we attempt to do will seem to go wrong.” – T. D. Jakes
113. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” —J.R.R. Tolkien
114. “Happiness would not be fully appreciated without an experience of its opposite, sadness.” – Richard Daly
115. “But I know, somehow, that only when it is dark enough can you see the stars.” —Martin Luther King, Jr.
Suicide Quotes To Help Create Awareness
116. “Suicide doesn’t end the pain. It only lays it on the broken shoulders of the survivors.” ― Billy Graham
117. “There is but one true philosophical problem and that is suicide.” ― Albert Camus
118. “No neurotic harbors thoughts of suicide which are not murderous impulses against others redirected upon himself.” ― Sigmund Freud
119. “The world is full of ‘friends’ of suicide victims thinking ‘if I had only made that drive over there, I could have done something.” ― Darnell Lamont Walker
120. “But suicide isn’t selfish. I’ve seen why suicide can feel like not just a choice, but the only choice.” ― Paul McGregor
121. “Imagine how many suicide victims would still be with us if only the right person said the right thing at the right time.” ― Wayne Gerard Trotman
122. “When one realizes that his life is worthless he either commits suicide or travels.” ― Edward Dahlberg
123. “If you are troubled by thoughts of suicide, speak up. Asking for help is an act of bravery that will change your life for the better.” ― Caitlyn Miller
124. “Most of the time, people who die by suicide don’t want to actually die. They just don’t want to be alive, and there is a huge difference.” ― Roxanne Macdonald
125. “We need to change the culture of this topic and make it okay to speak about mental health and suicide.” ― Luke Richardson
Suicide Quotes That Make You Powerless
126. “[I] have fantasies of killing myself and thus being the powerful one not the powerless one.” — Anne Sexton
127. “The real reason for not committing suicide is because you always know how swell life gets again after the hell is over.” — Ernest Hemingway
128. “Reviewing has one advantage over suicide: in suicide you take it out on yourself; in reviewing you take it out on other people.” — George Bernard Shaw
129. “People commit suicide for only one reason – to escape torment.” — Li Ang
130. “If you must commit suicide … always contrive to do it as decorously as possible; the decencies, whether of life or of death, should never be lost sight of.” — George Henry Borrow
131. “Well, darkness with humor… I’m not an extremely suicidal or sad person.” — Peter Steele
132. The most sincere form of self-criticism is suicide.” — Tom Hopkins
133. “If you’re looking for the suspect in a suicide bombing, here’s a clue: Look for the dead guy.” — Norm Macdonald
134. “Writing poems is my way of celebrating with the world that I have not committed suicide the evening before.” — Alice Walker
135. “I think it will be a miracle if I don’t someday end up killing myself.” — Anne Sexton
Thought Provoking Suicide Quotes
136. “Suicide is man’s way of telling God, ‘You can’t fire me – I quit.'” ― Bill Maher
137. “I think one of the most destructive things about suicide is the way it affects other people.” ― Robin Williams
138.”I have never killed myself, because the concept of suicide is foreign to me.” ― Jack Kevorkian
139. “Suicide is not a solution, it’s just a way out. And it’s not even a good way out.” ― Tony Robbins
140. “The thing that hurts the most is being left behind and feeling like you never mattered at all.” ― Elton John
141. “The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty: not knowing what comes next.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
142. “I think that the only thing that can save the world is the reclaiming of the awareness of the world. That’s what poetry does.” ― Allen Ginsberg
143. “I’m not trying to be a hero or anything like that. I just don’t want to be a burden on anyone.” ― Princess Diana
144. “You can forgive yourself, and the light of that love can dispel the darkness of your despair.” ― Ken Stifler
145. “I’m not going to commit suicide or anything, but I’m just not going to be here.” ― Kurt Cobain
Suicide Quotes to Avoid Self Murder Thoughts
146. “All my life I have had the utmost admiration for suicides. I have always considered them superior to me in every way.” ― Thomas Bernhard
147. “People rarely bring flowers to a suicide.” ― Jennifer Niven
148. “Suicide is part murder, revenge on those who hurt you, just as murder is part suicide, for a murderer knows he risks losing his life.” ― Lucy Freeman
149. “Suicide is a real threat to health.” ― Virginia Bottomley
150. “The society that destroys its children is eating its own tail, committing suicide in the most perverse way.” ― Jennifer Stone
151. “Suicides aren’t heroic in my opinion. And I don’t think anybody ever really knows why somebody commits suicide.” ― Alex Gibney
152. “Someone bent on suicide won’t have much sense of humor left.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
153. “The statistics of suicide show that, for non-combatants at least, life is more interesting in war than in peace.” ― William Ralph Inge
154. “Multiculturalism is social poison. Toleration of intolerance isn’t sophistication. It’s suicide.” ― Jack Kelly
155. “Incarcerating people for their [drug] consumption choices has the consistency of arresting a survivor of suicide for attempted murder.” ― Ilana Mercer
156. “Suicide is very contagious.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
157. “Suicide is the utmost sincere and candid apology to the ones you hurt most” ― Christopher J Marshall
158. “suicide is not just killing yourself, but the world outside” ― Mayank Sharma
159. “Suicide is nothing, but an act of depriving the soul from it’s very right to liberation.” ― Aniruddha Sastikar
160. “dead people commit suicide!!” ― Twinkle (Sugandha) Varshney
161. “To make yourself something less than you can be – that too is a form of suicide.” ― Benjamin Lichtenberg
162. “How much can you really trust the promise of a suicidal father?” ― Ruth Ozeki
163. “The atheist suicide bomber is unfaithfully committed to his mission” ― Dean Cavanagh
164. “We’re all suicides. The tragedy is every day that we don’t die.” ― Thomm Quackenbush
165. “SUICIDE can be considered an act of MURDER committed on ONESELF” ― Kamil Ali
Which of these inspirational quotes about suicide has the most profound effect on you?
Being suicidal is an incredibly difficult feeling to cope with, but there is hope.
If you or someone you know has suicidal thoughts, reach out to a mental health professional for help.
This collection of suicide quotes may bring you comfort and understanding.
Read these words whenever you struggle with pain to help shift your perspective.
It’s possible to transform your life and begin a journey of healing.
If you’ve been struggling with suicidal thoughts, use these words and mantras as a guiding light.
Remember that you don’t have to face this on your own and that help is available.
Reaching out to trusted experts and friends is the most important step to take on your journey.
Share these quotes with your loved ones today to raise suicide awareness and increase prevention.
What are your favorite inspiring quotes about suicide prevention and awareness?
Let us know in the comment section below.