These profound quotes about suicide can bring you insight and comfort during difficult times.
If you or someone you know is considering suicide, getting professional help is the first and most important step.
These quotes about suicide may be able to help you understand the complexities of the situation.
What drives people to consider suicide?
Mental illness, environmental factors, and other variables can all drive people to consider suicide.
The following insights into suicide come from the minds of survivors, experts, and other individuals who have been affected firsthand.
During the darkest times when all hope seems lost, read this collection of quotes for strength and guidance.
It is vitally important to spread awareness and prevent suicides on a global scale.
If you or someone you know has suicidal thoughts, seek help from a mental healthcare professional immediately.
Remember, things can get better and healing is possible. Share these impactful suicide quotes today to raise awareness and inspire prevention.
Suicide quotes for strength and guidance
1. “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.” – Phil Donahue
2. “Hope is a necessity for normal life and the major weapon against the suicide impulse.” – Karl A. Menninger
3. “The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.” – Juliette Lewis
4. “Never never never give up.” – Winston Churchill
5. “To anyone out there who’s hurting — it’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength.” – Barack Obama
6. “We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.” – George Sand
7. “Suicide doesn’t solve your problems. It only makes them infinitely, un-countably worse.” – Sinead O’Connor
8. “On average, since the urge to kill myself isn’t so strong that I actually kill myself, the world is worth living in.” – Tao Lin
9. “But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” – Albert Camus
10. “All things are difficult before they are easy.” – Thomas Fuller
Suicide quotes to bring insight and comfort during difficult times
11. “Its so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself. That’s above and beyond everything else, and it’s not a mental complaint – it’s a physical thing, like it’s physically hard to open your mouth and make the words come out. They don’t come out smooth and in conjunction with your brain the way normal people’s words do; they come out in chunks as if from a crushed-ice dispenser; you stumble on them as they gather behind your lower lip. So you just keep quiet.” – Ned Vizzini
12. “Suicide. A sideways word, a word that people whisper and mutter and cough: a word that must be squeezed out behind cupped palms or murmured behind closed doors. It was only in dreams that I heard the word shouted, screamed.” – Lauren Oliver
13. “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
14. “The great thing about suicide is that it’s not one of those things you have to do now or you lose your chance. I mean, you can always do it later.” – Harvey Fierstein
15. “When people kill themselves, they think they’re ending the pain, but all they’re doing is passing it on to those they leave behind.” – Jeannette Walls
16. “That’s the thing about suicide. Try as you might to remember how a person lived his life, you always end up thinking about how he ended it.” – Anderson Cooper
17. “Nothing in my life has ever made me want to commit suicide more than people’s reaction to my trying to commit suicide.” – Emilie Autumn
18. “Anyone desperate enough for suicide should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.” – Richard Bach
19. “To write poetry and to commit suicide, apparently so contradictory, had really been the same, attempts at escape.” – John Fowles
20. “Killing myself was a matter of such indifference to me that I felt like waiting for a moment when it would make some difference.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Suicide quotes to help you understand the complexities of the situation
21. “No one ever committed suicide while reading a good book, but many have tried while trying to write one.” – Robert Byrne
22. “In most cases, suicide is a solitary event and yet it has often far-reaching repercussions for many others. It is rather like throwing a stone into a pond; the ripples spread and spread.” – Alison Wertheimer
23. “There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.” – C. S. Lewis
24. “It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
25. “To run away from trouble is a form of cowardice and, while it is true that the suicide braves death, he does it not for some noble object but to escape some ill.” – Aristotle
26. “The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.” – Voltaire
27. “If someone listens, or stretches out a hand, or whispers a word of encouragement, or attempts to understand a lonely person, extraordinary things begin to happen.” – Loretta Girzartis
28. “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” – Christian D. Larson
29. “Death is easy. To live is the most painful thing I could imagine and I’m weak and no longer willing to fight.” – Hannah Wright
30. “Perhaps the saddest irony of depression is that suicide happens when the patient gets a little better and can again function sufficiently.” – Dick Cavett
Suicide quotes to raise awareness and inspire prevention
31. “Suicide is not an answer, it’s destruction.” – Al Green
32. “Gay teenagers are four times as likely to attempt suicide as straight ones. I wish they knew that there’s nothing wrong with them; that they are just a different shade of normal.” – Jodi Picoult
33. “Suicide is not a blot on anyone’s name; it is a tragedy.” – Kay Redfield Jamison
34. “Drunkenness is temporary suicide.” – Bertrand Russell
35. “The thought that I might kill myself formed in my mind coolly as a tree or a flower.” – Sylvia Plath
36. “Suicide leaves everyone feeling guilty.” – Robert Harris
37. “Yeah, because you’ll really be showing them, won’t you. Talk about cutting up your wrists to spite your fate.” – Alexander Gordon Smith
38. “Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse, suicide eliminates the possibility of it ever getting better.” – Kat Calhoun
39. “Here in the bathroom with me are razor blades. Here is iodine to drink. Here are sleeping pills to swallow. You have a choice. Live or die. Every breath is a choice. Every minute is a choice. To be or not to be. Every time you don’t throw yourself down the stairs, that’s a choice. Every time you don’t crash your car, you reenlist.” – Chuck Palahniuk
40. “I wonder if it will rain after we die. When you kill yourself, you don’t know what happens next, afterward.” – Albert Borris
Suicide quotes to bring comfort and understanding
41. “Suicide creates a monstrous emotional upsurge of shame and guilt. Everyone participates in feeling responsible and even shamed at knowing the suicidal candidate. If these feelings are not healed the vampire of suicidal death can strike again and again.” – Linda Lee Landon
42. “Would Hamlet have felt the delicious fascination of suicide if he hadn’t had an audience, and lines to speak?” – Jean Genet
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Hamlet quotes from the iconic play.
43. “All suicides have the responsibility of fighting against the temptation of suicide. Every one of them knows very well in some corner of his soul that suicide, though a way out, is rather a mean and shabby one, and that it is nobler and finer to be conquered by life than to fall by one’s own hand.” – Hermann Hesse
44. “Suicide is not a remedy.” – James A. Garfield
45. “It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.” – Emil Cioran
46. “I think suicide is sort of like cancer was 50 years ago. People don’t want to talk about it, they don’t want to know about it. People are frightened of it, and they don’t understand, when actually these issues are medically treatable.” – Judy Collins
47. “Soak up the views. Take in the bad weather and the good weather. You are not the storm.” – Matt Haig
48. “There are many who dare not kill themselves for fear of what the neighbors will say.” – Cyril Connolly
49. “The literal meaning of life is whatever you’re doing that prevents you from killing yourself.” – Albert Camus
50. “If you ever think about giving up, remember why you held on for so long.” – Hayley Williams
More suicide quotes and sayings
51. “I think many people kill themselves simply to stop the debate about whether they will or they won’t.” – Susanna Kaysen
52. “Suicide only really frightens those who are never tempted by it and never will be, for its darkness only welcomes those who are predestined to it.” – Georges Bernanos
53. “I could never kill myself. I approve of suicide if you have horrible health. Otherwise, it’s the ultimate hissy fit.” – John Waters
54. “The suicide passes a judgment. Society does not care to examine the judgment, but in defense of itself as is, condemns the suicide.” – Robert E. Neale
55. “It’s better to have a gay life of it than to commit suicide.” – Vincent Willem van Gogh
56. “Suicide may be a choice, but not as much as it is expected when everything else fails.” – Mark Brightlife
57. “Life is short enough, there is nothing worth here to take your life, and those things we do gain can never be taken to our grave.” – Anthony Liccione
58. “One, who suicides, is itself a killer and itself a victim. To trigger that has its decision, and own will, no one else.” – Ehsan Sehgal
59. “Every bad institution of this world ends by suicide.” – Victor Hugo
60. “People, don’t commit suicide because they’re weak. They commit suicide because they have no reason to be strong.” – Cave Man
61. “No one ever lacks a good reason for suicide.” —Cesare Pavese
62. “They tell us that Suicide is the greatest piece of Cowardice… That Suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in this world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.”—Arthur Schopenhauer
63. “There is something great and terrible about suicide.”—Honore de Balzac
64. “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.”—Arnold J. Toynbee
65. “The suicide arrives at the conclusion that what he is seeking does not exist; the seeker concludes that what he has not yet looked in the right place.”—Paul Watzlawick
Which of these inspirational quotes about suicide has the most profound effect on you?
Being suicidal is an incredibly difficult feeling to cope with, but there is hope. If you or someone you know has suicidal thoughts, reach out to a mental health professional for help.
This collection of suicide quotes may bring you comfort and understanding. Read these words whenever you struggle with pain to help shift your perspective. It’s possible to transform your life and begin a journey of healing.
If you’ve been struggling with suicidal thoughts, use these words and mantras as a guiding light. Remember that you don’t have to face this on your own and that help is available.
Reaching out to trusted experts and friends is the most important step to take on your journey. Share these quotes with your loved ones today to raise suicide awareness and increase prevention.
What are your favorite inspiring quotes about suicide prevention and awareness? Let us know in the comment section below.
December 17, 2021 6:00 AM EST