E E Cummings Quotes For the Poet in All of You
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST
These e e cummings quotes will inspire you to believe in yourself, love, and life.
Edward Estlin Cummings, or as we all know him, e e cummings was a poet and author during the WWI era.
His father was a professor at Harvard, and his mother spent most of her time playing games with him and his sister.
His parents were supportive of his writings from this early age.
As he matured, his writing took on the views of a transcendentalist (as you can see in these e e cummings quotes) or someone who believes in the inherent goodness of people.
Transcendentalists pay great attention to the relationship between nature and the self.
Often thought of as a parallel to Unitarianism (which is how he was raised) it makes sense that you can see both views in his work.
He was an ambulance driver in WWI and didn’t show much enthusiasm for the war.
Eventually, he was arrested by the French because they believed him to be a spy.
His novel, The Enormous Room, draws on his prison experience.
It didn’t curb his love of Paris, though, as he visited many times during his life.
He wrote about believing in yourself, love, and life in a uniquely e e cummings way.
Don’t forget to also check out these Robert Frost quotes on poetry, love, and life.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
E. E. cummings quotes about believing in and being yourself
1. “We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch.” ― e e cummings
You will also enjoy our article on spy quotes.
2. “Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.” ― e e cummings
3. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” ― e e cummings
4. “For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), It’s always our self we find in the sea.” ― e e cummings
5. “Whenever you think or you believe or you know, you’re a lot of other people, but the moment you feel, you’re nobody-but-yourself.” ― e e cummings
6. “To be nobody, but yourself in a world that is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.” ― e e cummings
7. “A poet is somebody who feels, and who expresses his feelings through words. This may sound easy. It isn’t.” ― e e cummings
E. E. Cummings quotes about love
8. “Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love, though the stars walk backward.” ― e e cummings
9. “Lovers alone wear sunlight.” ― e e cummings
10. “Unless you love someone, nothing else makes sense.” ― e e cummings
11. “Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star.” ― e e cummings
12. “Love is thicker than forget; thinner than recall; more seldom than a wave is wet; more frequent than to fail.” ― e e cummings
13. “Be of love (a little) more careful than everything.” ― e e cummings
14. “Yours is the light by which my spirit’s born: you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars.” ― e e cummings
15. “One’s not half of two; two are halves of one.” ― e e cummings
16. “And now you are and I am and, and we’re a mystery which will never happen again.” ― e e cummings
17. “It takes two to be serious.” ― e e cummings
E. E. Cummings quotes about knowledge and intelligence
18. “I’d rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance.” ― e e cummings
19. “Knowledge is a polite word for dead but not buried imagination.” ― e e cummings
20. “Laughing is just another way of showing people your wise.” ― e e cummings
21. “Now the ears of my ears are awake, and now the eyes of my eyes are opened.” ― e e cummings
22. “Kisses are a better fate than wisdom.” ― e e cummings
23. “An intelligent person fights for lost causes, realizing that others are merely effects.” ― e e cummings
24. “Humanity, I love you because when you’re hard up; you pawn your intelligence to buy a drink.” ― e e cummings
25. “May my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living.” ― e e cummings
What did you learn from these E. E. Cummings quotes?
Cummings’ writings were unique in that he used a varied style.
He often combined sonnets, free verse, and slant poetry.
He made up how his own compound words, and some of them, are simply lovely!
My favorites are: mudlicious and hypermagical.
Cummings used grammar “errors,” like decapitalizing his name, to set himself apart from other writers.
He often would leave the ‘i’ in lowercase to express humility.
He also used line breaks and other typographical tools to create a distinct look for his work.
His work was designed to be read, hence the heavy use of the typography choices.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these e e cummings quotes and lines?
What is your favorite e e cummings poem?
Let me know in the comment section below!