Looking for inspirational Robert Frost quotes?
Robert Frost is one of the most influential and famous poets of all time. His books have sold millions of copies. His poems on the other hand, are still studied today because their timeless messages. He has also received numerous awards, but The Road Less Traveled By is one of his most well-known creations to date.
Who is Robert Frost?
Robert Frost started out his life like many artists. He knew that he was a poet at heart, but everyone pushed him to do something more practical. His father died when he was only 11, leaving the family penniless. Despite hardship, Frost did well enough in academics to attend Dartmouth University, even if only for two months.
Frost sold his first poem after leaving college. This small success motivated him to continue writing poetry. He then decided to attend Harvard University, but also left quickly due to an illness.
Perhaps to get away from World War I, Frost started farming. But it proved to be a failed venture so he returned after a few years of relative isolation. During this time, Robert Frost lectured frequently at Middlebury College. He later married Elinor White. He had six children, four of which died at a young age. In addition, his wife also passed away due to heart failure.
Robert Frost had a unique, distinct style in his works. There has been much debate over whether he’s a modernist or another type of poet. That aside, nearly everyone recognizes the power and brilliance of Robert Frost’s poetry.
Don’t forget to also read these motivational Mary Oliver quotes on life, love, and the pursuit of happiness.
Here are some of the best Robert Frost quotes and sayings to inspire you.
Inspirational Robert Frost Quotes
1. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” – Robert Frost
2. “Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.” – Robert Frost
View more love quotes that will help you find the perfect words for that special person in your life.
3. “Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.” – Robert Frost
4. “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.” – Robert Frost
5. “The best way out is always through.” – Robert Frost
6. “Poetry is what gets lost in translation.” – Robert Frost
7. “Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.” – Robert Frost
8. “A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness.” – Robert Frost
9. “Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.” – Robert Frost
10. “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.” – Robert Frost
11. “Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” – Robert Frost
12. “I’m not confused. I’m just well mixed.” – Robert Frost
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of confused quotes to help you make a big decision.
13. “Don’t ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up.” – Robert Frost
14. “A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age.” – Robert Frost
15. “To be a poet is a condition, not a profession.” – Robert Frost
Robert Frost Quotes to lift your thinking
16. “Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire.” – Robert Frost
17. “The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.” – Robert Frost
18. “How many things have to happen to you before something occurs to you?” – Robert Frost
19. “The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work.” – Robert Frost
20. “Something we were withholding made us weak, until we found it was ourselves.” – Robert Frost
21. “The middle of the road is where the white line is—and that’s the worst place to drive.” – Robert Frost
22. “The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.” – Robert Frost
If you enjoyed this article, read our collection of Rumi quotes on life, love and strength that will inspire you.
23. “A good book has no ending.” – Robert Frost
24. “Thinking is not to agree or disagree. That’s voting.” – Robert Frost
25. “Before I built a wall I’d ask to know what I was walling in or walling out.” – Robert Frost
26. “By faithfully working eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.” – Robert Frost
27. “Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor.” – Robert Frost
28. “Every poem is a momentary stay against the confusion of the world.” – Robert Frost
29. “Poetry is a way of taking life by the throat.” – Robert Frost
30. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
More Robert Frost quotes and sayings
31. “I am a writer of books in retrospect. I talk in order to understand; I teach in order to learn.”― Robert Frost
32. “Hope is not found in a way out but a way through.”― Robert Frost
33. “A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.”― Robert Frost
34. “A poet never takes notes.. you never take notes in a Love Affair.”― Robert Frost
35. “Anything more than the truth would be too much.”― Robert Frost
36. “What is done is done for the love of it- or not really done at all.”― Robert Frost
37. “What we live by we die by.”― Robert Frost
38. “I am one who has been acquainted with the night.”― Robert Frost
39. “Education doesn’t change life much. It just lifts trouble to a higher plane of regard.”― Robert Frost
40. “To be social is to be forgiving.”― Robert Frost
The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
Have you seen these thought-provoking Edgar Allan Poe quotes?
What other Robert Frost quotes would you add to the list?
Robert Frost’s poems are often dark and gloomy – which isn’t surprising considering the tragedies of his personal life. He lived a hard life. He suffered from depression just like his parents before him and children after him. Like many artists, he was troubled and it showed in his work.
However, everyone can find wisdom and learn about life through his quotes. His poetry may be bleak, but it is brilliant and should be read by everyone who’s interested in art.
His poems analyze things, such as the nature of existence, emotions, and finding meaning in life. They are truly powerful. As a result, some people use Robert Frost quotes every day as affirmations.
Reading and implementing the lessons in his poems can change your life. At the very least, you will be moved by his incredible writing and brilliant philosophies regarding the human condition.
September 4, 2020 6:00 AM EST