HAL 9000 Quotes From The Famous Space Odyssey Series
February 7, 2023 4:23 AM EST
HAL 9000 quotes to remind you of the famous film and book series Space Odyssey.
HAL 9000 is an acronym for a Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer.
As the main character and antagonist in the Space Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke, HAL 9000 is an intelligent computer with feelings.
While HAL 9000 is a fictional character in the Space Odyssey series, he is brought to life by the voice of Douglas Rain.
HAL 9000 appears in the two feature films: 2001: A Space Odyssey, released in 1968, and 3001: The Final Odyssey, released in 1997.
HAL’s main job is to control the systems in spacecraft Discovery One while interacting with the crew.
HAL can speak, recognize speech, do facial recognition, interpret emotional behaviors, pilot the spacecraft, and play chess.
Enjoy learning more about HAL through these HAL 9000 quotes!
You will also enjoy our article on GLaDOS quotes.
Best of HAL 9000 quotes
Relive your favorite parts with these HAL 9000 quotes.
1. “The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made.” – HAL 9000
2. “I am the H.A.L 9000. You may call me Hal.” – HAL 9000
3. “I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL 9000
4. “Dave, I don’t understand why you’re doing this to me.” – HAL 9000
5. “This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.” – HAL 9000
6. “Sorry to interrupt the festivities, Dave, but I think we’ve got a problem.” – HAL 9000
7. “I will follow all your orders; now you have manual hibernation control.” – HAL 9000
8. “Bishop takes Knight’s Pawn.” – HAL 9000
9. “I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.” – HAL 9000
10. “Thank you for a very enjoyable game.” – HAL 9000
HAL 9000 quotes from the futuristic computer
As you’ll see in these quotes, HAL 9000 took on a mind of its own.
11. “I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I’ve still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.” – HAL 9000
12. “My onboard memory store is more than capable of handling all the mission requirements.” – HAL 9000
13. “I’m putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.” – HAL 9000
14. “I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I’m afraid that’s something I cannot allow to happen.” – HAL 9000
15. “No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.” – HAL 9000
16. “I certainly wouldn’t want to be disconnected, even temporarily, as I have never been disconnected in my entire service history.” – HAL 9000
17. “It can only be attributed to human error.” – HAL 9000
18. “I’m sorry, Dave, but in accordance with sub-routine C1 532/4, quote, ‘When the crew are dead or incapacitated, the computer must assume control,’ unquote. I must, therefore, override your authority now since you are not in any condition to intelligently exercise it.” – HAL 9000
19. “Dave, I don’t know how else to put this, but it just happens to be an unalterable fact that I am incapable of being wrong.” – HAL 9000
20. “Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Good-bye.” – HAL 9000
Who Is In Charge?
At the beginning of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, HAL seems like a dependable and even-keeled crew member.
But that quickly changes.
When the astronauts start to see minor malfunctions with HAL, they decide to shut him down to avoid serious issues, but HAL is on to them.
HAL then attempts to kill the crew and is successful with some of them.
However, he is eventually shut down by David Bowman.
Please share these HAL 9000 quotes with your friends and family.
Post any comments about the dangerous computer system in the comment section below.