Huey P. Newton was an American activist, civil rights leader, and author.
Learn more about his fight for equality in the Huey P. Newton quotes below.
What have you learned about Huey P. Newton in the past?
Newton is most well-known for co-founding the Black Panther Party in 1966.
The party developed a Ten-Point Program to express their wants and ideals, which included full employment for Black people, an end to police brutality, and a truthful education curriculum.
A variety of community programs were developed under Newton’s leadership including its most popular: the Free Breakfast for Children program.
Throughout his life, Newton fought to provide resources for the most vulnerable and to educate his community.
Check out the Huey P. Newton quotes below!
Don’t forget to also read these police brutality quotes about race, injustice and more.
You may also enjoy our collection of Frederick Douglass quotes.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Powerful Huey P. Newton quotes
1. “You can tell the tree by the fruit it bears. You see it through what the organization is delivering as far as a concrete program. If the tree’s fruit sours or grows brackish, then the time has come to chop it down – bury it and walk over it and plant new seeds.” – Huey P. Newton
2. “My fear was not of death itself, but a death without meaning.” – Huey P. Newton
You will also enjoy our article on Black Panther quotes.
3. “I think what motivates people is not great hate, but great love for other people.” – Huey P. Newton
4. “If you stop struggling, then you stop life.” – Huey P. Newton
5. “When you deal with a man, deal with his most valuable possession, his life. There’s play and there’s the deep flow. I like to take things to the deep flow of play because everything is a game, serious and nonserious at the same time. So play life like it’s a game.” – Huey P. Newton
6. “Power is the ability to define phenomena, and make it act in a desired manner.” – Huey P. Newton
7. “You can only die once, so do not die a thousand times worrying about it.” – Huey P. Newton
8. “You can kill my body, and you can take my life but you can never kill my soul. My soul will live forever!” – Huey P. Newton
9. “Revolutionary suicide does not mean that I and my comrades have a death wish; it means just the opposite.” – Huey P. Newton
10. “The nature of a panther is that he never attacks. But if anyone attacks or backs into a corner, the panther comes up to wipe that aggressor or that attacker out.” – Huey P. Newton
11. “Marriage, family, and debt; in a sense, another kind of slavery.” ― Huey P. Newton
12. “I have the people behind me and the people are my strength.” – Huey P. Newton
13. “Malcolm X was the first political person in this country that I really identified with. If he had lived and not been purged, I probably would have joined the Muslims.” – Huey P. Newton
14. “Existence is violent, I exist, therefore I’m violent. . . in that way.” ― Huey P. Newton
Huey P. Newton quotes on race
15. “Black Power is giving power to people who have not had power to determine their destiny.” – Huey P. Newton
16. “We’ve never advocated violence; violence is inflicted upon us. But we do believe in self-defense for ourselves and for black people.” – Huey P. Newton
17. “Black men and women who refuse to live under oppression are dangerous to white society because they become symbols of hope to their brothers and sisters, inspiring them to follow their example.” ― Huey P. Newton
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes from black women for a boost of inspiration.
18. “The Black Panther Party is a revolutionary Nationalist group and we see a major contradiction between capitalism in this country and our interests. We realize that this country became very rich upon slavery and that slavery is capitalism in the extreme.” – Huey P. Newton
19. “IQ tests are routinely used as weapons against Black people in particular and minority groups and poor people generally. Since we are taught to believe that the tests are infallible, they have become a self-fulfilling prophecy that cuts off our initiative and brainwashes us.” – Huey P. Newton
20. “I think as a North American, as a Black North American, I have certain understandings – certain contributions – to make that are unique to the North American experience.” – Huey P. Newton
21. “To die for the racists is lighter than a feather, but to die for the people is heavier than any mountain and deeper than any sea.” – Huey P. Newton
Huey P. Newton quotes on revolution
22. “The revolution has always been in the hands of the young. The young always inherit the revolution.” – Huey P. Newton
23. “The first lesson a revolutionary must learn is that he is a doomed man.” – Huey P. Newton
24. “Let us go on outdoing ourselves; a revolutionary man always transcends himself or otherwise he is not a revolutionary man, so we always do what we ask of ourselves or more than what we know we can do.” – Huey P. Newton
25. “By surrendering my life to the revolution, I found eternal life.” – Huey P. Newton
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of racism quotes about respect and equality.
How often do you volunteer?
Huey P. Newton helped create an organization that catered to the needs of his community.
Along with a group of like-minded people, they were able to create a positive change within the lives of many.
Volunteering is a great way to help your community and work towards the issues you’re passionate about.
Whether you love social media or cooking, there are many ways you can aid the organizations within your neighborhood.
Reach out and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the opportunities you may find.
Which of these Huey P. Newton quotes and sayings is the most powerful?
Let us know your thoughts below!