Staying motivated takes sharp focus, and these discipline quotes will serve as a constant reminder on your quest to achieve greatness.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Self discipline is one of the most important and useful skills you can have.
It is an essential skill in every area of life.
Discipline is the number one trait needed to create a happy mood, and healthy and meaningful life.
It allows you to benefit from consistent, daily action towards the achievement of your goals and dreams.
Studies have also shown that people with self discipline make positive decisions more easily and tend to feel more satisfied with their lives.
On the other hand, lack of discipline results in failure and other problems.
Without discipline, it’s impossible to achieve any kind of success; whether it’s in your personal life or in your professional life.
Self discipline is nothing more than having inner strength and control of yourself, your actions, and your reactions.
It is what gives you the ability to follow through your decisions, without changing your mind.
To help you take control of your habits and choices, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and powerful discipline quotes, discipline sayings, and discipline proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also read these promise quotes about keeping your word that will remind you to always be honest and honorable.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Discipline Quotes To Fuel Your Perseverance
1. “Self-discipline is when your conscience tells you to do something and you don’t talk back.” – W. K. Hope
You will also enjoy our article on sister quotes.
2. “Men need discipline! Countries need discipline! World needs discipline! He who wants to be successful needs discipline! Be a man of discipline!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
3. “Discipline and commitment is a pathway to reach goals and dreams.” – Dr. Anil Kr Sinha
4. “The discipline is the key to the success of your life purpose; without that, you reach no anywhere.” ― Ehsan Sehgal
You will also enjoy our article on focus quotes.
5. “True discipline is really just self-remembering; no forcing or fighting is necessary.” ― Charles Eisenstein
You will also enjoy our article on bridge quotes.
6. “Discipline trains you to put up with disappointments, every rose has a thorn.” – Sai Baba
You will also enjoy our article on Boss Lady quotes.
7. “No matter how sweet is smells, if you know it will give you discomfort later, don’t even attempt to taste it. Discipline yourself to stay out of sin!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
8. “The foundation of a strong self comes from small acts of daily discipline.” ― Ophelia Filek
9. “A disciplined mind leads to happiness, and an undisciplined mind leads to suffering.” ― Dalai Lama
10. “Freedom is not attained through the satisfaction of desires, but through the suppression of desires.” ― Epictetus
You will also enjoy our article on integrity quotes-2.
Discipline quotes that will inspire you to create a better life
11. “Discipline is not about the rules, it is about respect. Its respect for those around you, the things you own and for yourself. Discipline is part of being a steward.” ― Janna Cachola
You will also enjoy our article on motivational sports quotes.
12. “Whoever submits himself to a super-discipline can expect great triumphs.” ― Samael Aun Weor
You will also enjoy our article on workout motivation quotes.
13. “Always Remember to take your Vitamins: Take your Vitamin A for ACTION, Vitamin B for Belief, Vitamin C for Confidence ,Vitamin D for Discipline, Vitamin E for Enthusiasm!!” ― Pablo
14. “Self-respect is the root of discipline: The sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.” ― Abraham Joshua Heschel
You will also enjoy our article on proud of you quotes.
15. “Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.” – Augusta F. Kantra
16. “By constant self-discipline and self-control, you can develop greatness of character.” ― Grenville Kleiser
17. “It’s been said that there are only two pains in life, the pain of discipline or the pain of regret, and that discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” ― Anthony Robbins
18. “Discipline yourself to do the things you need to do when you need to do them, and the day will come when you will be able to do the things you want to do when you want to do them!” – Zig Ziglar
You will also enjoy our article on dedication quotes.
19. “Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.” – Roy L. Smith
20. “Discipline not just determines success but determines how long you can stay successful.” ― C Muthu Palaniappan
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out our collection of encouraging quotes to help keep you going.
Discipline quotes to help you take control of your habits and choices
21. “Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.” – Julie Andrews
22. “When an individual is motivated by great and powerful convictions of truth, then he disciplines himself, not because of the demands of the church, but because of the knowledge within his heart” ― Gordon B. Hinckley
23. “We must do our work for its own sake, not for fortune or attention or applause.” ― Steven Pressfield
24. “Right discipline consists, not in external compulsion, but in the habits of mind which lead spontaneously to desirable rather than undesirable activities.” – Bertrand Russell
25. “Don’t let the things of the world distract you. Focus on your purpose.” ― Sunday Adelaja
26. “Discipline is the thing that makes you do what you might not want to, but you do it anyway because it’s what you have to do in order to get what you want or desire.” ― Kyle Vidrine
27. “For every disciplined effort there is a multiple reward.” – Jim Rohn
28. “With discipline, you can lose weight, you can excel in work, you can win the war.” ― Amit Kalantri
29. “The most successful people in life are the ones who settle their critical issues early and manage them daily.” ― John C. Maxwell
30. “The most powerful control we can ever attain, is to be in control of ourselves.” ― Chris Page
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these wise sayings about life to expand your understanding.
Discipline quotes to help you follow through with your decisions and plans
31. “If you will discipline yourself to make your mind self-sufficient you will thereby be least vulnerable to injury from the outside.” – Critias Of Athens
32. “A person either disciplines his finances or his finances disciplines him.” ― Orrin Woodward
33. “Without discipline the Army would just be a bunch of guys wearing the same color clothing.” – Frank Burns
34. “A mode of conduct, a standard of courage, discipline, fortitude and integrity can do a great deal to make a woman beautiful.” ― Jacqueline Bisset
35. “Never give up. Believe behave and you will become.” ― Jennifer Pierre
36. “Do not let the temporal pain of discipline you need to acquire knowledge stop you from acquiring it.” ― Sunday Adelaja
37. “Misbehavior and punishment are not opposites that cancel each other – on the contrary, they breed and reinforce each other.” ― Haim G. Ginott
38. “Self discipline is the mother of success.” ― Topsy Gift
39. “If measured and weighed properly, the pain, loss, tragedy, sorrow, regret and agony behind worldly pleasure are far more than the enjoyment in it.” ― Bamigboye Olurotimi
40. “Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.” ― Thucydides
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these achievement quotes to motivate you for massive success.
Other discipline quotes to help you gain the willpower to live a happier life
41. “Discipline and constant work are the whetstones upon which the dull knife of talent is honed until it becomes sharp enough, hopefully, to cut through even the toughest meat and gristle.” – Stephen King
42. “If you dedicate your attention to discipline in your life you become smarter while you are writing than while you are hanging out with your pals or in any other line of work.” ― Russell Banks
43. “No man is such a conqueror, as the one that has defeated himself.” – Henry Ward Beecher
44. “Self-discipline is the ability to organize your behavior over time in the service of specific goals.” ― Nathaniel Branden
45. “True freedom is impossible without a mind made free by discipline.” ― Mortimer J. Adler
46. “Discipline isn’t about showing a dog who’s boss; it’s about taking responsibility for a living creature you have brought into your world.” ― Cesar Millan
47. “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.” – Jim Rohn
48. “The notion of freedom proclaimed by the modern world is anti-discipline. But true freedom cannot be separated from discipline.” ― Matthew Kelly
49. “Lack of discipline leads to frustration and self-loathing.” – Marie Chapian
50. “Discipline imposed from the outside eventually defeats when it is not matched by desire from within.” – Dawson Earle Trotman
Don’t go without reading these perseverance quotes to make you strong.
Discipline quotes we should all learn and apply
51. “Have your dream…What you need now more than anything is discipline. Cast off mere words. Words turn into stone. (from Thailand)” ― Haruki Murakami
52. “It is time to reverse this prejudice against conscious effort and to see the powers we gain through practice and discipline as eminently inspiring and even miraculous.” ― Robert Greene
53. “The real liberation dwells in the discipline.” ― Neeraj Agnihotri
54. “Striving to be good is the ultimate struggle of every man. Being bad is easy, but being good requires sincere commitment, discipline and strength. We have to work hard every day just to remain good.” ― Suzy Kassem
55. “”If there is no discipline, there is anarchy. Good citizenship demands attention to responsibilities as well as rights.” ― Joe Clark
56. “To become the most successful person, focus on one thing and keep working on that one thing throughout your life.” ― Anuj Jasani
57. “Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end.” ― Robert Fripp
58. “Discipline is a habit in a fluid state. Fluidity allows the habit to adjust to changing circumstances.” ― Sukant Ratnakar
59. “Not one life reaches its potential until it is determined, dedicated, and disciplined.” ― Shaneen Clarke
60. “It’s not about the obstacles but your discipline to stay focused on your goal till you win.” ― Chidiebere Orji Agbugba
Short Discipline Quotes From Famous People
61. “Rule your mind or it will rule you.” — Horace
62. “Discipline is wisdom and vice versa.” — M. Scott Peck
63. Through discipline comes freedom.” — Aristotle
64. “Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace.” — Mike Ditka
65. “Discipline is remembering what you want.” — David Campbell
66. “Once you have commitment, you need the discipline and hard work to get you there.” — Haile Gebrselassie
67. “Without hard work and discipline, it is difficult to be a top professional.” — Jahangir Khan
68. “It takes discipline not to let social media steal your time.” — Alexis Ohanian
69. “Self-discipline begins with the mastery of thought.” — Napoleon Hill
70. “Discipline is what makes you do everything you need to do.” — Anthony Joshua
Discipline Quotes To Help You Achieve Your Goals
71. “Discipline – Success doesn’t just happen. You have to be intentional about it, and that takes discipline.” — John C. Maxwell
72. “Discipline is what you must have to resist the lure of excuses.” — Brian Tracy
73. “I define discipline as the ability to make + keep promises and to honor commitments.” — Stephen Covey
74.”To reach the goals of your life, you need discipline, you need luck and you need something as important as these two: Vacations!” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
75. “I won’t say I am a strict mother, but discipline is important. Timing and routine are important for kids.” — Karisma Kapoor
76. “That aim in life is highest which requires the highest and finest discipline.” — Henry David Thoreau
77. “I want to dedicate myself to training and discipline. I want to spend every moment of every day working to improve myself.” — Eiji Yoshikawa
78. “The discipline you learn and character you build from setting and achieving a goal can be more valuable than the achievement of the goal itself.” — Robert Foster Bennett
79. “No one likes to fail. But we mortals do not become champions without effort and discipline or without making mistakes.” — Dieter F. Uchtdorf
80. “The pain of discipline is short, but the glory of the fruition is eternal.” — Harriet Beecher Stowe
Discipline Quotes To Fuel Your Success
81. “Self-discipline is what separates the winners and the losers.” — Thomas Peterffy
82. “Without self-discipline; no success principle can work.” ― Anikor Daniel
83. “Without self-discipline, success is impossible, period.” — Lou Holtz
84. “The discipline you enforce today determines the successes you’ll enjoy tomorrow.” — Gary Ryan Blair
85. “Self-discipline is that which, next to virtue, truly and essentially raises one man above another.” — Joseph Addison
86. “Once you set the goal , it takes fierce discipline to reach it.” — Sam Moore
87. “Discipline is rarely enjoyable, but almost always profitable.” — Darrin Patrick
88. “With self-discipline most anything is possible.” — Theodore Roosevelt
89. “Self-discipline is a key to many doors. Not least of which is one that leads to a better, stronger, and healthier version of yourself.” — Zero Dean
90. “Self-discipline paves the way to turn your dreams into reality.” — Alex Garry
Discipline Quotes To Make You Determined
91. “The secret of discipline is motivation. When a man is sufficiently motivated, discipline will take care of itself.” ― Alexander Paterson
92. “All excellence involves discipline and tenacity of purpose.” ― John W. Gardner
93. “If we are to have such a discipline we must have standards, and to get our standards under existing conditions we must have criticism.” ― Irving Babbitt
94. “Talent without discipline is like an octopus on roller skates.” ― H. Jackson Brown
95. “I think of discipline as the continual everyday process of helping a child learn self-discipline.” ― Fred Rogers
96. “Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.” ― Buddha
97. “But the discipline you have in your life should be one determined by your own desires and your own needs, not put upon you by society or authority.” ― Bertrand Russell
98. “No evil propensity of the human heart is so powerful that it may not be subdued by discipline.” ― Seneca
99. “The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen.” ― Lee Iacocca
100. “Self-discipline is the ability to make yourself do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not.” ― Elbert Hubbard
Discipline Quotes on Achieving Success through Discipline
101. “Keeping your body in shape is a spiritual discipline. Its not just about losing a few pounds, wanting to live longer, or trying to look nicer.” ― Rick Warren
102. “If you don’t have discipline, you don’t have anything.” ― Paul J. Meyer
103. “Unfortunately, too many public school officials believe that cameras are needed to enforce order and discipline.” ― Paul Weyrich
104. “You have to be disciplined because if you lose your discipline and lose your shape, we’re playing against better players, so they’ll take advantage.” ― Paul Jewell
105. “Ethics is not just an abstract intellectual discipline. It is about the conflicts that arise in trying to meet real human needs and values.” ― John Ziman
106. “I hated school so intensely. It interfered with my freedom. I avoided the discipline by an elaborate technique of being absent-minded during classes.” ― Sigrid Undset
107. “You have got to have discipline and focus – on the customer and how you run the business.” ― Jim Cantalupo
108. “Perfect retention. I dont think I could do that-Ive never disciplined myself to do it.I suppose a lot of it is a question of discipline. Which improvisation is not.” ― George Shearing
109. “Discipline is simply the art of making the soldiers fear their officers more than the enemy.” ― Claude Adrien Helvetius
110. “It’s just a matter of understanding what’s necessary and discipline yourself to do it.” ― Arthur Lydiard
Discipline Quotes To Keep You In Control
111. “There is no magic wand that can resolve our problems. The solution rests with our work and discipline.” — Jose Eduardo dos Santos
112. “Small disciplines repeated with consistency every day lead to great achievements gained slowly over time.” — John C. Maxwell
113. “If the self-discipline of the free cannot match the iron discipline of the mailed fist-in economic, political, scientific and all other kinds of struggles as well as the military-then the peril to freedom will continue to rise.” — John F. Kennedy
114. “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.” — Jim Rohn
115. “Success is created through the performance of a few small daily disciplines that stack up over time to produce achievements far beyond anything you could of ever planned for. Failure, on the other hand, is just as easy to slip into. Failure’s is nothing more than the inevitable outcome of a few small acts of daily neglect performed consistently over time so that they take you past the point of no return.” — Robin Sharma
116. “Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.” — George Washington
117. “Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.” — Abraham Joshua Heschel
118. “Military discipline is merely a perfection of social servitude.” — Alexis de Tocqueville
119. “There are many examples of women that have excelled in learning, and even in war, but this is no reason we should bring em all up to Latin and Greek or else military discipline, instead of needle-work and housewifery.” — Bernard de Mandeville
120. “Nothing can be more hurtful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army the superiority over another.” — George Washington
Discipline Quotes To Push You Towards Success
121. “The discipline of desire is the background of character.”— John Locke
122. “With faith, discipline and selfless devotion to duty, there is nothing worthwhile that you cannot achieve.” — Muhammad Ali Jinnah
123. “Winners embrace hard work. They love the discipline of it, the trade-off they’re making to win. Losers, on the other hand, see it as punishment. And that’s the difference.” — Lou Holtz
124. “It’s not just about winning or losing, but to learn about teamwork, learn about sportsmanship, learn about discipline. The value of working together for a common goal. Have the emphasis on fundamentals, not just games.” — Erik Spoelstra
125. “To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.” — Buddha
126. “Everything we want to do in life requires discipline. And like strength, flexibility, and endurance, it can be built up over time.” — Laird Hamilton
127. “Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out.” — Stephen Covey
128. “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.” — Stephen Covey
129. “The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.” — Stephen Covey
130. “The discipline that is needed in our lives is the discipline that comes from within.” —
Gordon B Hinkley
Discipline Quotes Showing It’s The Key to Success
131. “What is discipline? Discipline means creating an order within you. As you are, you are a chaos.” ― Osho
132. “Too often we forget that discipline really means to teach, not to punish. A disciple is a student, not a recipient of behavioural consequences.” ― Daniel J. Siegel
133. “This is the secret to mastering any discipline: as you conquer one, you’ll find it easier to tackle another.” ― Jeff Goins
134. “To discipline your body, you need a disciplined mind!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
135. “Discipline is a given; the choice is whether it is applied internally or externally.” ― Orrin Woodward
136. “Children cannot develop a sense of inner discipline if all of the control comes from the outside.” ― Babara Coloroso
137. “Piety is a discipline of the will through respect. It admits the right to exist of things larger than the ego, of things different from the ego.” ― Richard M. Weaver
138. “If you don’t acquire the discipline to push through a personal low point, you will miss the reward that comes with persevering.” ― Jeff Goins
139. “You can judge the quality of their faith from the way they behave. Discipline is an index to doctrine.” ― Tertullian
140. “Once upon a time, this idea of having a trained, disciplined, cultivated memory was not nearly so alien as it would seem to us to be today.” ― Joshua Foer
Discipline Quotes to Help You Build Your Reputation
141. “Great men have great discipline.” ― Habeeb Akande
142. “Discipline is aimed at formation for a specific end, and that end is determined by our founding narrative.” ― James K.A. Smith
143. “You are either going to go through the pain of disappointment or discipline in your life. The latter makes the pain worth it.” ― Ziad K. Abdelnour
144. “Personal discipline is a most powerful character quality and one worthy of dedicating your life to nurturing.” ― Elizabeth George
145. “Fine art is the discipline of breaking rules.” ― M.B. Dallocchio
146. “Being best at things has nothing to do with talent; it is all about self – discipline and commitment.” ― M.F. Moonzajer
147. “It’s easy to be disciplined when you have no freedoms.” ― Dick Couch
148. “I believe that parents who love their children do everything for them with love, even discipline.” ― Ellen J. Barrier
149. “If leadership is the spinal cord of success then discipline is its lumbar vertebrae.” ― Noel DeJesus
150. “… the best education is self-discipline with good principles through human university.” ― Uzoma Nnadi
151. “The greatest single lesson to be learned from golf is mental discipline.” ― Louise Suggs
152. “It’s in the private places of the heart that freedom is made or unmade by the discipline we create there.” ― Alan Keyes
153. “Wants awaken intellect. To gratify them disciplines intellect. The keener the want the lustier the growth.” ― Wendell Phillips
154. “Character, self-discipline, determination, attitude and service are the substance of life.” ― Marian Wright Edelman
155. “Discipline to me is sacrifice; it’s willingness to give up something you want to do, so you can better yourself.” ― Bobby Bowden
156. “Without discipline, there can be no freedom.” ― Nadia Boulanger
157. “Through readiness and discipline, we are the masters of our fate.” ― Bill Paxton
158. “emotion without discipline is as dangerous as a high-powered car without brakes.” ― Helen Kieran Reilly
159. “I dont have the self-discipline for diets; I break rules I set for myself, so I try and eat more healthily, juice more, and avoid sugar.” ― Sally Phillips
160. “Good governance needs self-discipline. Only discipline within can ensure discipline without.” ― Narendra Modi
Which of these discipline quotes was your favorite?
Self discipline gives you the power to stay focused on what needs to get done to successfully reach your full potential.
It is one of the most important requirements for living a happy and meaningful life.
The good news is that we all have the ability to develop the self discipline necessary to reach our goals and dreams.
Hopefully, the discipline quotes above will help you create a better life.
Which of these quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other inspirational discipline quotes to add?
Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.