At Everyday Power, we have curated inspirational black women quotes from authors, actresses, activists, and more.
There is nothing like the power of a black woman.
In the comment section below, let us know which one resonated with you the most.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading black women’s quotes?
A black woman’s wisdom is endless.
This collection is a fraction of it, featuring quotes that are:
These quotes come from a population that others have tried to silence for too long.
They will help you better understand and value people who might differ from you.
We hope to inspire you during your day, whether you are powering through a workday or enjoying a much-needed self-care day.
Whether you scribble your favorite quote in your journal or repost the quote on Instagram, be sure to record your favorites for any time you need a pick-me-up.
Check out the quotes below to learn from the minds of amazing black women.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Inspirational black women quotes
1. “A crown, if it hurts us, is not worth wearing.” — Pearl Bailey
You will also enjoy our article on domestic violence quotes.
2. “It’s time for you to move, realizing that the thing you are seeking is also seeking you.” — Iyanla Vanzant
You will also enjoy our article on Madam C.J Walker quotes.
3. “You can fall, but you can rise also.” – Angelique Kidjo
You will also enjoy our article on Shirley Chisholm quotes.
4. “If you prioritize yourself, you are going to save yourself.” – Gabrielle Union
You will also enjoy our article on Ida B. Wells quotes.
5. “Life is short, and it’s up to you to make it sweet.” – Sadie Delany
You will also enjoy our article on W.E.B Du Bois quotes.
6. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
You will also enjoy our article on Maya Angelou quotes.
7. “I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept.” ― Angela Davis
You will also enjoy our article on Nikki Giovanni quotes.
8. “You are on the eve of a complete victory. You can’t go wrong. The world is behind you.” – Josephine Baker
You will also enjoy our article on black and white quotes.
9. “There’s always something to suggest that you’ll never be who you wanted to be. Your choice is to take it or keep on moving.” — Phylicia Rashad
You will also enjoy our article on sisterhood quotes.
10. “Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself.”– Alice Walker
You will also enjoy our article on Bell Hooks quotes.
11. “Don’t settle for average. Bring your best to the moment. Then, whether it fails or succeeds, at least you know you gave all you had. We need to live the best that’s in us.” – Angela Bassett
You will also enjoy our article on black lives matter quotes.
12. “Your willingness to look at your darkness is what empowers you to change.”— Iyanla Vanzant
You might also like these international Women’s Day quotes to celebrate womanhood.
Black women quotes on life
13. “I don’t have to go around trying to save everybody anymore; that’s not my job. ” — Jada Pinkett Smith
You will also enjoy our article on Barbara Jordan quotes.
14. “No matter where life takes me there will always be someone who’s threatened by it.” — Franchesca Ramsey
You will also enjoy our article on Lizzo quotes.
15. “It isn’t where you come from; it’s where you’re going that counts.” – Ella Fitzgerald
You will also enjoy our article on pretty Woman quotes.
16. “In a perfect dream, things would be set exactly the way you would want them. But I think it’s more interesting that in real life, things aren’t exactly the way you planned.” — Naomi Osaka
You will also enjoy our article on social media quotes.
17. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” ― Maya Angelou
You will also enjoy our article on quotes for girls.
18. “I am lucky that whatever fear I have inside me, my desire to win is always stronger.”— Serena Williams
You will also enjoy our article on Inner Beauty Quotes.
19. “You’ve just got to follow your own path. You have to trust your heart and you have to listen to the warnings.” ― Chaka Khan
You will also enjoy our article on self esteem quotes.
20. “If you are silent about your pain, they’ll kill you and say you enjoyed it.” — Zora Neale Hurston
21. “I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world. I run my world.” — Beyoncé
22. “Deal with yourself as an individual worthy of respect, and make everyone else deal with you the same way. ” – Nikki Giovanni
23. “I’d rather regret the risks that didn’t work out than the chances I didn’t take at all.” – Simone Biles (see more quotes by Simone Biles)
24. “Once we recognize what it is we are feeling, once we recognize we can feel deeply, love deeply, can feel joy, then we will demand that all parts of our lives produce that kind of joy.” – Audre Lorde
25. “When you put love out in the world it travels, and it can touch people and reach people in ways that we never even expected.” – Laverne Cox
Black women quotes on success
26. “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” — Diana Ross
27. “I thrive on obstacles. If I’m told that it can’t be told, then I push harder.” – Issa Rae
28. “I have standards I don’t plan on lowering for anybody … including myself.” – Zendaya
29. “I always believed that when you follow your heart or your gut, when you really follow the things that feel great to you, you can never lose, because settling is the worst feeling in the world.” – Rihanna
30. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
31. “You wanna know what scares people? Success. When you don’t make moves and when you don’t climb up the ladder, everybody loves you because you’re not competition.” – Nicki Minaj
32. “There have been so many people who have said to me, ‘You can’t do that,’ but I’ve had an innate belief that they were wrong. Be unwavering and relentless in your approach.” – Halle Berry
33. “There’s so much creativity in brokeness. Brokeness will have you making it work.” — Issa Rae
34. “Be passionate and move forward with gusto every single hour of every single day until you reach your goal.” — Ava DuVernay
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of passion quotes expressing the love of things you’re interested in.
35. “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” – Oprah Winfrey
36. “I’m convinced that we Black women possess a special indestructible strength that allows us to not only get down, but to get up, to get through, and to get over.” — Janet Jackson
Don’t forget to also read these motivational women empowerment quotes to help you succeed in life.
Black women quotes on self-love
37. “It was when I realized I needed to stop trying to be somebody else and be myself, I actually started to own, accept and love what I had.” – Tracee Ellis Ross
38. “Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.” – Toni Morrison
39. “Yes, I do have a big ego … and I am in love with myself … Because if you don’t love yourself how can anybody love you back?” – Mel B
40. “I’m not ashamed of what I am and that I have curves and that I’m thick. I like my body.” – Alicia Keys
41. “You can’t be hesitant about who you are.” – Viola Davis
42. “Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations.” —Dr. Mae Jemison
43. “Keep going and keep speaking up, even if your voice shakes.” — Allyson Felix
44. “I don’t have any time to stay up all night worrying about what someone who doesn’t love me has to say about me.” — Viola Davis
Black women quotes to encourage you
45. “When you take care of yourself, you’re a better person for others. When you feel good about yourself, you treat others better.” – Solange Knowles
46. “We must reject not only the stereotypes that others hold of us, but also the stereotypes that we hold of ourselves.” ― Shirley Chisholm
47. “Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King
48. “I realized that I don’t have to be perfect. All I have to do is show up and enjoy the messy, imperfect, and beautiful journey of my life.” – Kerry Washington
49. “Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.” – Marva Collins
50. “Women make up more than half of the world’s population and potential. So it is neither just nor practical for their voices, for our voices, to go unheard at the highest levels of decision-making.” – Meghan Markle
You might also like these strong women quotes and sayings to share with your tribe
Other inspirational black women quotes
51. “The way to right wrongs is to turn the light of truth upon them.” — Ida B. Wells
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of historic Ida B. Wells quotes about battling racism and sexism.
52. “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.” — Dr. Mae Jemison
53. “We are all gifted. That is our inheritance.” – Ethel Waters
54. “Let nothing dim the light that shines from within.” – Maya Angelou
55. “If women want any rights more than they’s got, why don’t they just take them, and not be talking about it.” — Sojourner Truth
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspirational quotes for women on strength and leadership.
56. “Beauty is not just a white girl. It’s so many different flavors and shades.” – Queen Latifah
57. “You don’t make progress by standing on the sidelines, whimpering and complaining. You make progress by implementing ideas.” — Shirley Chisholm
58. “I am a strong woman with or without this other person, with or without this job, and with or without these tight pants.”— Queen Latifah
59. “The path to your success is not as fixed and inflexible as you think.” — Misty Copeland
60. “The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within – strength, courage, dignity.” —Ruby Dee
Powerful black women quotes
61. “We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.” — Michelle Obama
62. “When the heart is right, the mind and body will follow.” – Coretta Scott King
63. “Struggle is a never-ending process. Freedom is never really won, you earn it and win it in every generation.” — Coretta Scott King
64. “Perseverance is my motto.” – Madam C.J. Walker
65. “Struggle is a never-ending process. Freedom is never really won, you earn it and win it in every generation.” — Coretta Scott King
66. “No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helped you.” –
67. “Each person must live their life as a model for others.” – Rosa Parks
68. “We have to talk about liberating minds as well as liberating society.” – Angela Davis
69. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.” – Maya Angelou
70. “For I am my mother’s daughter, and the drums of Africa still beat in my heart.” —Mary McLeod Bethune
You might also like these motivational know your value quotes.
Thought-provoking black women quotes
71. “We must always attempt to lift as we climb.” – Angela Davis
72. “This black woman rocks on a phenomenal level!” – Stephanie Lahart
73. “The collective, orchestrated fury of Black women can move the whole world.” ― Brittney Cooper
74. “When you are willing to make sacrifices for a great cause, you will never be alone.” – Coretta Scott King
75. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” — Maya Angelou
76. “I decided long ago never to walk in anyone’s shadow; if I fail, if I succeed, at least I’ll live as I believe.” – Whitney Houston
77. “When we’re talking about diversity, it’s not a box to check. It is a reality that should be deeply felt and held and valued by all of us.”— Ava DuVernay
78. “Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.” — Ella Fitzgerald
79. “Black skin was filled with so many barriers, so many restrictions, so many.” – Randi Pink
80. “As a black woman, the decision to love yourself just as you are is a radical act. And I’m as radical as they come.” – Bethanee Epifani J. Bryant
If you’re enjoying this article, be sure to also check out these queen quotes celebrating the women in your life.
More black women quotes and sayings
81. “She said black women are so special. Few men of any color and even fewer white women can deal with how fabulous we are.” – Maya Angelou
82. “Surely, there’s strength in being dressed for a storm, even when there’s no storm in sight?” – Yaa Gyasi
83. “You can’t just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream. You’ve got to get out there and make it happen for yourself.” — Diana Ross
84. “America made us heroines not wives. We hid our ladyness to save our lives.” – Lucille Clifton
85. “Rare is the ministry praying that they would be worthy of the giftedness of Black minds and hearts.” – Austin Channing Brown
86. “And anything I have accomplished, I did so not in spite of being a black woman, but because I am a black woman.” – Gabrielle Union
87. “To turn black women into objectified others was to underline their difference; they may be beautiful, but they are of another kind, separate from the dominant understanding of attractiveness.” – Anne Helen Petersen
88. “We believe in equality for all, and privileges for none. This is a belief that each American regardless of background has equal standing in the public forum, all of us. Because we believe this idea so firmly, we are an inclusive, rather than an exclusive party. Let everybody come.” – Barbara Jordan
89. “I am the essence of magic, its mysteriousness, its beauty and its ability to make things happen when people couldn’t see how!” – Jenaitre Farquharson
90. “It’s not the load that breaks you down; it’s the way you carry it.” —Lena Horne, Dancer
You might also like these Bad Bitch quotes that will inspire confidence within you.
Black women quotes from Beyoncé and Michelle Obama
91. “Am I good enough? Yes I am.” — Michelle Obama
92. “Power is not given to you. You have to take it.” — Beyoncé Knowles
93. “I embrace mistakes. They make you who you are.” — Beyoncé Knowles
94. “Don’t try to lessen yourself for the world; let the world catch up to you.” — Beyoncé Knowles
95. “I don’t like to gamble, but if there’s one thing I’m willing to bet on, it’s myself.” — Beyoncé Knowles
96. “Failure is an important part of your growth and developing resilience. Don’t be afraid to fail.” — Michelle Obama
97. “Be healthy and take care of yourself, but be happy with the beautiful things that make you, you.” — Beyoncé Knowles
98. “A true diva is graceful, and talented, and strong, and fearless and brave and someone with humility.” — Beyoncé Knowles
99. “Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.” — Beyoncé Knowles
100. “When I’m not feeling my best I ask myself, ‘What are you gonna do about it?’ I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me.” — Beyoncé Knowles
Black women quotes from cultural icons
101. “You are your best thing.” — Toni Morrison
102. “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” — Oprah Winfrey
103. “I was built this way for a reason, so I’m going to use it.” — Simone Biles
104. “Even if it makes others uncomfortable, I will love who I am.” — Janelle Monáe
105. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” — Maya Angelou
106. “I did what my conscience told me to do, and you can’t fail if you do that.” — Anita Hill
107. “You’ve got to learn to leave the table when love’s no longer being served.” — Nina Simone
108. “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” — Alice Walker
109. “I am deliberate and afraid of nothing.” – Audre Lorde
110. “Don’t feel entitled to anything you didn’t sweat and struggle for.” – Marian Wright Edelman
Black women quotes from the talented Zendaya
111. “There is no such thing as ugly.” — Zendaya
112. “People always want to doubt you.” — Zendaya
113. “Why limit yourself? I feel like I can do anything.” — Zendaya
114. “Everyone loves Beyonce. If you don’t love Beyonce, we can’t talk.” — Zendaya
115. “Sticking with your vision and what you believe in is so, so important.” — Zendaya
116. “If there’s any definition to being perfect, you’re perfect at being yourself.” — Zendaya
117. “I don’t think people understand the power of social media or our phones.” — Zendaya
118. “Remember that we are all human beings trying to do what we love to do.” — Zendaya
119. “A lot of people don’t realize that hair is a big thing for a lot of people, not just African-American women. It’s something to be aware of and to be cautious of.” — Zendaya
120. “It’s hard as a young person of a different ethnicity or background to look at the TV and not see anyone who looks like you. Representation is very important.” — Zendaya
Black women quotes from Alice Walker
121. “No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your right to grow.” – Alice Walker
122. “Nobody is as powerful as we make them out to be.”― Alice Walker
123. “Hard times require furious dancing. Each of us is proof.” – Alice Walker
124. “Why any woman give a shit what people think is a mystery to me.”― Alice Walker
125. “Activism is my rent for living on the planet.” – Alice Walker
126. “I have fought and kicked and fasted and prayed and cursed and cried myself to the point of existing.”― Alice Walker
127. “Being happy is not the only happiness.” – Alice Walker
128. “You must learn to love only that which cannot be stolen.”― Alice Walker
129. “In search of my mother’s garden, I found my own.” – Alice Walker
130. “The world is changing. It is no longer a world just for boys and men”― Alice Walker
Strong independent black woman quotes
131. “I had to make my own living and my own opportunity. But I made it!” – Madam CJ Walker
132. “You’re not obligated to win. You’re obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day.” –Marian Wright Edelman
133. “I was built this way for a reason, so I’m going to use it.” – Simone Biles
134. “No person has the right to rain on your dreams.” – Marian Wright Edelman
135. “The most significant successes come from letting your light shine, embracing failure, and getting good at being wrong.” – Stacey Abrams
136. “Am I bossy? Absolutely. I don’t like to lose, and if I’m told ‘no,’ then I find another way to get my ‘yes.’ But I’m a loyal person.” – Naomi Campbell
137. “You have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you have to do it all the time.” – Angela Davis
138. “A great figure or physique is nice, but it’s self-confidence that makes someone really sexy.” – Vivica A. Fox
139. ”If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.” – Shirley Chisolm
140. “Just be honest and true to yourself. If your friends around you love you, they’ll wish you the best and want only what’s going to make you happy.” – Meagan Good
Motivational Black Women Quotes To Overcome Fear
141. “The greatest gift is not being afraid to question”. ― Ruby Dee
142. “Financial independence gives us the power to decide our futures and liberate our conception of what’s possible.” ― Stacey Abrams
143. “Always be smarter than the people who hire you.” ― Lena Horne
144. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” ― Harriet Tubman
145. “You don’t make progress by standing on the sidelines, whimpering and complaining. You make progress by implementing ideas.” ― Shirley Chisolm
146. “I truly believe that if you put your goals in writing, speak them out loud, and work for them, they will happen.” ― Ciara
147. “No matter how far a person can go, the horizon is still way beyond you.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
148. “People think about the word ‘fearless’ to mean without fear. I see it to actually mean ‘with fear but you do it anyway’.” ― Luvvie Ajayi Jones
149. “Never ever let somebody stop you or shame you from being yourself.” ― Lizzo
150. “Don’t spend all of your time trying to be like someone else because you can never be them and they can never be you.” ― Raven Symone
Black Women Quotes To Cut Off Racism
151. “Black women have not historically stood in the pulpit, but that doesn’t undermine the fact that they built the churches and maintain the pulpits.” ― Maya Angelou
152. “Work for black women has been an important and valued dimension of Afrocentric definitions of black motherhood.” ― Patricia Hill Collins
153. “Being the person I am, you know, the size I am, being a woman, being a black woman, there’s not a lot of roles for us.” ― Amber Riley
154. “I was blessed to get an education available to few black women in Africa at that time. Every woman should be able to get an education so she can serve others.” ― Julia Mavimbela
155. “If, with the nation watching, three black women at three different levels can’t get justice… for this community, you tell me where you’re going to get it in our country.” ― Stephanie Rawlings-Blake
156. “I write because I am a Black woman, listening attentively to her people.” ― Maya Angelou
157. “I write to tell the truth about the black condition as I see it. Therefore, I write to offer a black woman’s view of the world.” ― Sonia Sanchez
158. “Like a lot of Black women, I have always had to invent the power my freedom requires.” ― June Jordan
159. “I don’t drink or do any drugs. I never have and I never will. I don’t need them. I’m a black woman from the land of the free, home of the brave, and I figure I don’t need another illusion.” ― Bertice Berry
160. “No woman on this whole earth can please me and cook for me and socialize and talk to me like my American black woman.” ― Muhammad Ali
Black Women Quotes on Resilience and Power of Black Women
161. “Black women are the backbone of the black community.” ― Angela Davis
162. “Black women have always been the unsung heroes of our communities.” ― Tarana Burke
163. “Black women are the backbone of the feminist movement.” ― Bell Hooks
164. “Black women are the most disrespected and unprotected group of people in America.” ― Malcolm X
165. “The greatness of black women lies in their ability to survive and still stand tall.” ― Maya Angelou
166. “Black women are the backbone of the black family.” ― Toni Morrison
167. “Black women have always been the gatekeepers of our communities.” ― Kimberlé Crenshaw
168. “Black women are the heart and soul of the civil rights movement.” ― John Lewis
169. “Black women are the backbone of the church.” ― Ida B. Wells
170. “Black women are the backbone of the Democratic Party.” ― Stacey Abrams
Where are you on your journey to self-acceptance?
No matter how you define success, self-acceptance is crucial to achieving it.
Whether you are on the starting line or halfway through your journey towards self-acceptance, remember that you are not walking alone.
Many of the black women featured above have traveled through their own journeys and reemerged a happier person.
Just give yourself time.
Soon, you will reach those personal goals.
If you know someone who’s on a similar journey, share with them one of the above quotes through their social media page.
Sometimes, all we need is an extra push to keep going.
Did we miss one of your favorite motivational black women quotes?
Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
January 26, 2023 5:00 AM EST