There is nothing like the power of a black woman. At Everyday Power, we have curated inspirational black women quotes from authors, actresses, activists, and more.
Who is a black woman that inspires you?
A black woman’s wisdom is endless. This collection is a fraction of it, featuring quotes from insightful, powerful, and beautiful black women. We hope to inspire you during your day whether you are powering through a workday or enjoying a much-needed self-care day.
Whether you scribble your favorite quote in your journal or repost the quote on Instagram, be sure to record your favorites for any time you need a pick-me-up.
Check out the quotes below to learn from the minds of amazing black women.
Inspirational black women quotes
1. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
2. “It’s time for you to move, realizing that the thing you are seeking is also seeking you.” — Iyanla Vanzant
3. “You can fall, but you can rise also.” – Angelique Kidjo
4. “I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept.” ― Angela Davis
5. “Life is short, and it’s up to you to make it sweet.” – Sadie Delany
6. “Don’t settle for average. Bring your best to the moment. Then, whether it fails or succeeds, at least you know you gave all you had. We need to live the best that’s in us.” – Angela Bassett
7. “If you prioritize yourself, you are going to save yourself.” – Gabrielle Union
8. “You are on the eve of a complete victory. You can’t go wrong. The world is behind you.” – Josephine Baker
9. “There’s always something to suggest that you’ll never be who you wanted to be. Your choice is to take it or keep on moving.” — Phylicia Rashad
10. “Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any Happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself.”– Alice Walker
11. “A crown, if it hurts us, is not worth wearing.” — Pearl Bailey
12. “Your willingness to look at your darkness is what empowers you to change.”— Iyanla Vanzant
You might also like these international Women’s Day quotes to celebrate womanhood.
Black women quotes on life
13. “I don’t have to go around trying to save everybody anymore; that’s not my job. ” — Jada Pinkett Smith
14. “No matter where life takes me there will always be someone who’s threatened by it.” — Franchesca Ramsey
15. “I think the internet forces you to be okay with your mistakes, and the things you’ve done in the past, especially when you’re in the media. Personally, that helps me to stop self-editing or being self-conscious, and instead realize that my previous mistakes have allowed me to grow.” — Amandla Stenberg
16. “You will be wounded many times in your life. You’ll make mistakes. Some people will call them failures but I have learned that failure is really God’s way of saying, “Excuse me, you’re moving in the wrong direction.” It’s just an experience, just an experience.” – Oprah Winfrey
17. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” ― Maya Angelou
18. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.” — Maya Angelou
19. “You’ve just got to follow your own path. You have to trust your heart and you have to listen to the warnings.” ― Chaka Khan
20. “If you are silent about your pain, they’ll kill you and say you enjoyed it.” — Zora Neale Hurston
21. “You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world’s problems at once but don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.” – Michelle Obama
22. “Deal with yourself as an individual worthy of respect, and make everyone else deal with you the same way. ” – Nikki Giovanni
23. “I’d rather regret the risks that didn’t work out than the chances I didn’t take at all.” – Simone Biles (see more quotes by Simone Biles)
24. “Once we recognize what it is we are feeling, once we recognize we can feel deeply, love deeply, can feel joy, then we will demand that all parts of our lives produce that kind of joy.” – Audre Lorde
25. “When you put love out in the world it travels, and it can touch people and reach people in ways that we never even expected.” – Laverne Cox
Black women quotes on success
26. “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” — Diana Ross
27. “I thrive on obstacles. If I’m told that it can’t be told, then I push harder.” – Issa Rae
28. “I have standards I don’t plan on lowering for anybody … including myself.” – Zendaya
29. “I always believed that when you follow your heart or your gut, when you really follow the things that feel great to you, you can never lose, because settling is the worst feeling in the world.” – Rihanna
30. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
31. “You wanna know what scares people? Success. When you don’t make moves and when you don’t climb up the ladder, everybody loves you because you’re not competition.” – Nicki Minaj
32. “There have been so many people who have said to me, ‘You can’t do that,’ but I’ve had an innate belief that they were wrong. Be unwavering and relentless in your approach.” – Halle Berry
33. “There’s so much creativity in brokeness. Brokeness will have you making it work.” — Issa Rae
34. “Be passionate and move forward with gusto every single hour of every single day until you reach your goal.” — Ava DuVernay
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of passion quotes expressing the love of things you’re interested in.
35. “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” – Oprah Winfrey
36. “I’m convinced that we Black women possess a special indestructible strength that allows us to not only get down, but to get up, to get through, and to get over.” — Janet Jackson
Don’t forget to also read these motivational women empowerment quotes to help you succeed in life.
Black women quotes on self-love
37. “It was when I realized I needed to stop trying to be somebody else and be myself, I actually started to own, accept and love what I had.” – Tracee Ellis Ross
38. “Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.” – Toni Morrison
39. “It is so liberating to really know what I want, what truly makes me happy, what I will not tolerate. I have learned that it is no one else’s job to take care of me but me.” – Beyonce Knowles-Carter
40. “Helped are those who are content to be themselves; they will never lack mystery in their lives and the joys of self-discovery will be constant.” ― Alice Walker
41. “Learn to be quiet enough to hear the genuine in yourself, so that you can hear it in others.” – Marian Wright Edelman
42. “When you undervalue what you do, the world will undervalue who you are.” ― Oprah Winfrey
43. “Embrace what makes you unique, even if it makes others uncomfortable. I didn’t have to become perfect because I’ve learned throughout my journey that perfection is the enemy of greatness.” – Janelle Monae
44. “I don’t have any time to stay up all night worrying about what someone who doesn’t love me has to say about me.” — Viola Davis
Black women quotes to encourage you
45. “When you take care of yourself, you’re a better person for others. When you feel good about yourself, you treat others better.” – Solange Knowles
46. “We must reject not only the stereotypes that others hold of us, but also the stereotypes that we hold of ourselves.” ― Shirley Chisholm
47. “Girls of all kinds can be beautiful — from the thin, plus-sized, short, very tall, ebony to porcelain-skinned; the quirky, clumsy, shy, outgoing, and all in between. It’s not easy though because many people still put beauty into a confining, narrow box … Think outside of the box … Pledge that you will look in the mirror and find the unique beauty in you.” – Tyra Banks
48. “I have chosen to no longer be apologetic for my femaleness and my femininity. And I want to be respected in all of my femaleness because I deserve to be.” ― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
49. “Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.” – Marva Collins
50. “It’s important for young people to know that they are made the way they are made and they’re beautiful and that’s how they’re supposed to be.” – Raven-Symone
You might also like these strong women quotes and sayings to share with your tribe
Other inspirational black women quotes
51. “The way to right wrongs is to turn the light of truth upon them.” — Ida B. Wells
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of historic Ida B. Wells quotes about battling racism and sexism.
52. “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.” — Dr. Mae Jemison
53. “I believe that telling our stories, first to ourselves and then to one another and the world, is a revolutionary act. It is an act that can be met with hostility, exclusion, and violence. It can also lead to love, understanding, transcendence, and community.” — Janet Mock
54. “I had to make my own living and my own opportunity. But I made it! Don’t sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them.” — Madam C.J. Walker
55. “If women want any rights more than they’s got, why don’t they just take them, and not be talking about it.” — Sojourner Truth
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspirational quotes for women on strength and leadership.
56. “You can’t just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream. You’ve got to get out there and make it happen for yourself.” — Diana Ross
57. “You don’t make progress by standing on the sidelines, whimpering and complaining. You make progress by implementing ideas.” — Shirley Chisholm
58. “I am a strong woman with or without this other person, with or without this job, and with or without these tight pants.”— Queen Latifah
59. “The path to your success is not as fixed and inflexible as you think.” — Misty Copeland
60. “The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within – strength, courage, dignity.” —Ruby Dee
Powerful black women quotes
61. “We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.” — Michelle Obama
62. “Design the life you want to live.” – Rachel Roy
63. “No matter how far a person can go the horizon is still way beyond you.”— Zora Neale Hurston
64. “No person has the right to rain on your dreams.” – Marian Wright Edelman
65. “Struggle is a never-ending process. Freedom is never really won, you earn it and win it in every generation.” — Coretta Scott King
66. “No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helped you.” –
67. “Each person must live their life as a model for others.” – Rosa Parks
68. “We have to talk about liberating minds as well as liberating society.” –Angela Davis
69. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.” – Maya Angelou
70. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more.” – Oprah Winfrey
You might also like these motivational know your value quotes.
Thought-provoking black women quotes
71. “As a Black Woman, I define self-care as the ability to safely and comfortably exhale.” – Bethanee Epifani
72. “This black woman rocks on a phenomenal level!” – Stephanie Lahart
73. “The collective, orchestrated fury of Black women can move the whole world.” ― Brittney Cooper
74. “I’m a Black woman. Empowered, powerful, and greatness.” – Stephanie Lahart
75. “The voice of a Black woman should always be HERSELF… No edits – no erasure – no pressure – no expectations – no additions – no intruders.” – Malebo Sephodi
76. “Black women were armed, black women were dangerous and the less money they had the deadlier the weapon they choose.” – Toni Morrison
77. “You may be amazed that you are still unique and beautiful as your natural self. Only you can decide if this style is for you.” – Monica Millner
78. “Be not discouraged black women of the world, but push forward, regardless of the lack of appreciation shown you.” – Amy Jacques-Garvey
79. “Black skin was filled with so many barriers, so many restrictions, so many.” – Randi Pink
80. “As a black woman, the decision to love yourself just as you are is a radical act. And I’m as radical as they come.” – Bethanee Epifani J. Bryant
More black women quotes and sayings
81. “She said black women are so special. Few men of any color and even fewer white women can deal with how fabulous we are.” – Maya Angelou
82. “Surely, there’s strength in being dressed for a storm, even when there’s no storm in sight?” – Yaa Gyasi
83. “Feminism is a woman’s vehicle to human agency and fully fulfilling her chosen destiny without interruption.” – Fee Scott
84. “America made us heroines not wives. We hid our ladyness to save our lives.” – Lucille Clifton
85. “Rare is the ministry praying that they would be worthy of the giftedness of Black minds and hearts.” – Austin Channing Brown
86. “And anything I have accomplished, I did so not in spite of being a black woman, but because I am a black woman.” – Gabrielle Union
87. “To turn black women into objectified others was to underline their difference; they may be beautiful, but they are of another kind, separate from the dominant understanding of attractiveness.” – Anne Helen Petersen
88. “We believe in equality for all, and privileges for none. This is a belief that each American regardless of background has equal standing in the public forum, all of us. Because we believe this idea so firmly, we are an inclusive, rather than an exclusive party. Let everybody come.” – Barbara Jordan
89. “I am the essence of magic, its mysteriousness, its beauty and its ability to make things happen when people couldn’t see how!” – Jenaitre Farquharson
90. “Sometimes it’s hard being a girl, and it’s hard being black. Being both is like carrying a double load, but you’re not supposed to complain about it. There are so many things you have to remember about how to be.” – Christina Hammonds Reed
Where are you on your journey to self-acceptance?
No matter how you define success, self-acceptance is crucial to achieving it. Whether you are on the starting line or half-way through your journey towards self-acceptance, remember that you are not walking alone. Many of the black women featured above have traveled through their own journeys and reemerged a happier person.
Just give yourself time. Soon, you will reach those personal goals. If you know someone who’s on a similar journey, share with them one of the above quotes through their social media page. Sometimes, all we need is an extra push to keep going.
Did we miss one of your favorite motivational black women quotes? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
March 22, 2021 6:00 AM EST