Racism Quotes to Inspire Inclusion of All
November 21, 2019 7:29 AM EST
It’s an emotional topic, but the inclusion of all is something that’s always worth working towards.
Let these racism quotes inspire you to take action.
Even though we have come a long way from where we used to be when it came to racism in our country, we still aren’t where we need to be.
The inclusion of all, regardless of race, color, gender, sexual preference, age, and any other difference is where we need to get to in our world.
If you aren’t faced with diversity in your everyday life, you might not realize the need that is still out there.
These racism quotes can show you the problems that still exist and inspire you to make a difference.
You may also enjoy our collection of Frederick Douglass quotes.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Racism quotes on diversity and inclusion
1. “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.”—Martin Luther King, Jr.
You will also enjoy our article on black and white quotes.
2. “Racism is a form of hate. We pass it on to our young people. When we do that, we are robbing children of their innocence.” – Ruby Bridges
3. “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
You will also enjoy our article on Qui Gon Jinn quotes.
4. “I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
You will also enjoy our article on Frankenstein quotes.
5. “In our work and in our living, we must recognize that difference is a reason for celebration and growth, rather than a reason for destruction.” – Audre Lorde
6. “Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue; it makes it a requirement for survival.” – René Dubos
7. “We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same.” – Anne Frank
Don’t forget to also read these timeless quotes by Thurgood Marshall on law, race, and more.
Racism Quotes to Show the Importanceof Diversity
8. “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.”—Maya Angelou
9. “We need to help students and parents cherish and preserve the ethnic and cultural diversity that nourishes and strengthens this community—and this nation.”—Cesar Chavez
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Cesar Chavez quotes from the iconic activist.
10. “We are all different, which is great because we are all unique. Without diversity life would be very boring.”—Catherine Pulsifer
11. “Diversity: the art of thinking independently together.”—Malcolm Forbes
12. “Diversity in the world is a basic characteristic of human society, and also the key condition for a lively and dynamic world as we see today.”—Jintao Hu
13. “A lot of different flowers make a bouquet.”—Muslim Origin
14. “Isn’t it amazing that we are all made in God’s image, and yet there is so much diversity among his people?”— Desmond Tutu (see more Desmond Tutu quotes)
15. “Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common. Celebrate it every day.”— Author Unknown
16. “A diverse mix of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.” — Sundar Picha
17. “Strength lies in differences, not in similarities.” – Stephen Covey
18. “Diversity strengthens our innovative capacity, unleashes the potential of Siemens’ employees and thereby directly contributes to our business success.” — Janina Kugel
19. “Diversity is the magic. It is the first manifestation, the first beginning of the differentiation of a thing and of simple identity. The greater the diversity, the greater the perfection.”– Thomas Berry
Also read these insightful lawyer quotes about justice for all.
Racism Quotes on the Importance ofInclusion
20. “Inclusion is not a matter of political correctness. It is the key to growth.” — Jesse Jackson
21. “When we listen and celebrate what is both common and different, we become a wiser, more inclusive, and better organization.” — Pat Wadors
22. “The diversity in the human family should be the cause of love and harmony, as it is in music where many different notes blend together in the making of a perfect chord.” — ‘Abdu’l-Bahá
23. “Racism and injustice and violence sweep our world, bringing a tragic harvest of heartache and death.” – Billy Graham
24. “Hatred, racism, and extremism have no place in this country.” – Angela Merkel
25. “Men build too many walls and not enough bridges.” ― Joseph Fort Newton
26. “Our true nationality is mankind.” ― H.G. Wells
27. “Achievement has no color.” –Abraham Lincoln
Check out these Ella Baker quotes and sayings on civil rights, activism, and more
Racism Quotes on Overcoming
28. “Racism is still with us. But it is up to us to prepare our children for what they have to meet, and, hopefully, we shall overcome.” – Rosa Parks
29. “Education is the key solution for change, for peace, and for help in the fight against racism and discrimination in general.” – Clarence Seedorf
30. “The way you start to break down systemic racism is to start building individual relationships with people who are not like you.” – Killer Mike
31. “Racism isn’t born, folks, it’s taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list.” – Denis Leary
32. “No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background or his religion. People learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” – Nelson Mandela
33. “Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.” –Mahatma Gandhi
34. “If tolerance, respect and equity permeate family life, they will translate into values that shape societies, nations and the world.” –Kofi Annan
35. “The best way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” – John Roberts
36. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
37. “It demands great spiritual resilience not to hate the hater whose foot is on your neck, and an even greater miracle of perception and charity not to teach your child to hate.” – James Baldwin
38. “Diversity is about all of us, and about us having to figure out how to walk through this world together.” – Jacqueline Woodson
39. “If you want to address racial disparity in the juvenile justice system, everybody has to have a role in it. Everybody has some responsibility.” – James Bell
Don’t forget to also read these eye-opening culture quotes on the beauty of diversity
Racism quotes on recognizing bias
40. “The point isn’t to get people to accept that they have biases, but to get them to see [for themselves] that those biases have negative consequences for others.” — Theresa McHenry
41. “Unconscious perceptions govern many of the most important decisions we make and have a profound effect on the lives of many people in many ways…. Unconscious patterns can play out in ways that are so subtle they are hard to spot.” — Howard Ross
42. “Racism is a form of hate. We pass it on to our young people. When we do that, we are robbing children of their innocence.” – Ruby Bridges
43. “All racism is wrong, and denying that it exists does not make it go away.” – Roger Ross Williams
44. “We must acknowledge that issues like systemic racism, economic inequality, and the achievement gap are the result of manmade policies.” – Ayanna Pressley
45. “There is power in naming racism for what it is, in shining a bright light on it, brighter than any torch or flashlight. A thing as simple as naming it allows us to root it out of the darkness and hushed conversation where it likes to breed like roaches. It makes us acknowledge it. Confront it.” – Jesmyn Ward
You will also enjoy our article on unity quotes.
Racism quotes on the dangers of discrimination
46. “Racism is man’s gravest threat to man – the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.” –Abraham Joshua Heschel
47. “The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance.” – Princess Diana
48. “Hating people because of their color is wrong and it doesn’t matter which color does the hating. It’s just wrong.” – Muhammad Ali
49. “Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future, and renders the present inaccessible.” – Maya Angelou
50. “Bigotry dwarfs the soul by shutting out the truth.” – Edwin Hubbell Chapin
More racism quotes and sayings
51. “You are growing into consciousness, and my wish for you is that you feel no need to constrict yourself to make other people comfortable.” – Ta-Nehisi Coates
52. “Ignorance and prejudice are the handmaidens of propaganda. Our mission, therefore, is to confront ignorance with knowledge, bigotry with tolerance, and isolation with the outstretched hand of generosity. Racism can, will, and must be defeated.” – Kofi Annan
53. “The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.” – Maria Cristina Mena
54. “Race doesn’t really exist for you because it has never been a barrier. Black folks don’t have that choice.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
55. “Pit race against race, religion against religion, prejudice against prejudice. Divide and conquer! We must not let that happen here.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
56. “Racism is not merely a simplistic hatred. It is, more often, broad sympathy toward some and broader skepticism toward others.” – Ta-Nehisi Coates
57. “Racism is so universal in this country, so widespread, and deep-seated, that it is invisible because it is so normal.” – Shirley Chisholm
58. “It’s no disgrace to be black, but it’s often very inconvenient.” – James Weldon Johnson
59. “Our stars and stripes have a lot of stains on them, and it’ll take centuries of determined accountability to clean them off.” – Abhijit Naskar
60. “I’d have wasted a lot of time and trouble before I learned that the best way to take all people, black or white, is to take them for what they think they are, then leave them alone.” – William Faulkner
What can you do today?
Imagine the difference that could be made in the world if each person that reads through these racism quotes choose some type of positive action to take towards others that are different from them as a result of it.
Take a moment to put yourself in the shoes of those that are around you.
What are they experiencing that you have never noticed before?
Who is being excluded around you?
What can you do to help others feel included?
It starts with us.
We can move the inclusion efforts forward.
What can you do to get started today?
Please share with your thoughts in the comment section below.
March 23, 2021 at 6:38 PM
Amazing quotes. I plan to use one in an essay and this really helped
P.S. Look at 48 and 49.
Rev. Jan Chase
June 3, 2020 at 7:09 PM
Great material. Thanks. I plan to use this at a Compassionate Pomona CA meeting tomorrow.