Our latest collection of Aretha Franklin quotes on Everyday Power. Enjoy!
Aretha Franklin died on August 16, 2018, leaving behind a record of over 20 chart-topping R&B hits, about 50 Top 40 hits and 18 Grammy awards to her name.
Known for her amazing voice and vocal talents, the ‘The Queen of Soul’ will be remembered for defining the golden age of soul music of the 1960s.
Aretha Franklin was born on March 25, 1942, in a religious household in Memphis, Tennessee.
Her father was a Baptist minister and gospel singer while her mother was a gospel singer as well.
She started her career as a child singing gospel before embarking on a secular career where she achieved great success with hits such as “Respect”, “A Natural Woman”, “Spanish Harlem” and “Think”.
Though her passing leaves behind loved ones and the music world in mourning, it also presents the chance to reflect on the life of one of the greatest singers of all time.
She was a strong woman who always demanded respect and used her Everyday Power to reach the top of her game.
Her music is empowering and we can all draw inspiration from her words of wisdom.
In that respect, below are some powerful Aretha Franklin quotes to inspire you to live your best life.
Also check out our collection of quotes by Dolly Parton that will inspire you to live your best life.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Aretha Franklin Quotes about Love, Life and Respect
1. I sing to the realists. People who accept it like it is. – Aretha Franklin
2. Falling out of love is like losing weight. It’s a lot easier putting it on than taking it off. – Aretha Franklin
3. We all require and want respect, man or woman, black or white. It’s our basic human right. – Aretha Franklin
4. The love of my life? I’m much too young to answer that question. – Aretha Franklin
5. Women absolutely deserve respect. – Aretha Franklin
6. Music changes, and I’m gonna change right along with it. – Aretha Franklin
7. “Who hasn’t had a weight issue? If not the body, certainly the big head!” – Aretha Franklin
8. The man who gets me is getting one hell of a woman. – Aretha Franklin
9. Politics are not my arena. Music is. – Aretha Franklin
10. I’ve always felt that rock & roll was very, very wholesome. – Aretha Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on respect quotes.
Aretha Franklin quotes about music and life
11. “It’s the rough side of the mountain that’s the easiest to climb; the smooth side doesn’t have anything for you to hang on to.” – Aretha Franklin
12. “It really is an honor if I can be inspirational to a younger singer or person. It means I’ve done my job.” – Aretha Franklin
13. I’ve been around long enough for people to know who I am and what my contributions are. They know me as more than just an artist. I think they know me as a woman as well. – Aretha Franklin
14. Everybody wants respect. In their own way, three-year-olds would like respect, and acknowledgment, in their terms. – Aretha Franklin
15. Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It’s transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, years back, to the very moment certain things happened in your life. It’s uplifting, it’s encouraging, it’s strengthening. – Aretha Franklin
16. Being a singer is a natural gift. It means I’m using to the highest degree possible the gift that God gave me to use. I’m happy with that. – Aretha Franklin
17. Being the Queen is not all about singing and being a diva is not all about singing. It has much to do with your service to people. And your social contributions to your community and your civic contributions as well. – Aretha Franklin
18. We didn’t have music videos. You weren’t an overnight sensation. You had to work at it and learn your craft: how to take care of your voice, how to pace your concerts, all that trial and error. – Aretha Franklin
19. If a song’s about something I’ve experienced or that could’ve happened to me it’s good. But if it’s alien to me, I couldn’t lend anything to it. Because that’s what soul is all about. – Aretha Franklin
20. Soul is a constant. It’s cultural. It’s always going to be there, in different flavors and degrees.- Aretha Franklin
Don’t forget to also read these Stevie Wonder quotes from the iconic soul artist.
Aretha Franklin quotes to inspire confidence
21. “Be your own artist, and always be confident in what you’re doing. If you’re not going to be confident, you might as well not be doing it.” – Aretha Franklin
22. I think women and children and older people are the three least-respected groups in our society. – Aretha Franklin
23. “Don’t say Aretha is making a comeback, because I’ve never been away!” – Aretha Franklin
24. “It’s very satisfying. To perform the way you want to. And the way you know that you can.” – Aretha Franklin
25. “Trying to grow up is hurting. You make mistakes. You try to learn from them, and when you don’t, it hurts even more.” – Aretha Franklin
Be sure and check out these Beyoncé quotes from another queen!
Which are your favorite Aretha Franklin quotes?
Aretha Franklin will be remembered as one of the greatest singers of all time.
She became the first woman ever to be inducted in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and received many other accolades, including 18 Grammy Awards.
Though she came from a humble background, Franklin used her musical talent to leave an indelible mark on the world.
We can all learn a thing or two from her life story and her empowering music.
Hopefully, these quotes from the Queen of Soul have inspired you to fight for your dreams and live your best life.
Did you enjoy these Aretha Franklin quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.