Josey Wales Quotes From the Famous Western Movie
March 7, 2023 2:19 AM EST
Everyone who loves westerns or action movies will enjoy these Josey Wales quotes!
Josey Wales is the main protagonist in The Outlaw Josey Wales, a western film released in 1976.
The movie was directed by Clint Eastwood and is based on the adapted novel by Forrest Carter called Gone to Texas.
The movie is now in the National Film Registry and grossed over $31 million against its $3.7 million budget.
The plot of the movie follows Josey Wales, who is a Missouri farmer beset with revenge after the murder of his wife and son by the Redlegs, who are a group of pro-Union Jayhawker militants.
Once he has buried his family, Josey Wales joins a pro-Confederate group of Missouri bushwhackers.
After some time, a false promise was made to the group that they would be granted amnesty if they surrendered.
Wales and a young man named Jamie refuse to surrender, and they are the only ones who avoid the setup where the rest of their group is murdered.
These Josey Wales quotes will leave you excited to watch the movie!
Best of The Outlaw Josey Wales Quotes
Enjoy these quotes that will take you back to the old film.
1. “Dyin’ ain’t much of a living, boy.” — Josey Wales
2. “The war’s over. Our side won the war.” — Senator Lane
3. “When I get to likin’ someone, they ain’t around long.” — Josey Wales
4. “I came here to die with you. Or live with you.” — Josey Wales
5. “He’s mean as a rattler, and twice as fast with them pistols.” — Lige
6. “It’s sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues.” — Ten Bears
7. “You know, she thinks I’m some kind of a Cherokee chief.” — Lone Waties
8. “I knew a fellar once; he didn’t like to be called high-handed.” — Rose
9. “All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it’s not for eating.” — Lone Watie
10. “Those men are common outlaws, nothing more.” — Senator Lane
Best Josey Wales Quotes from the Movie
Here are some famous lines from Josey Wales himself.
11. “Now remember, when things look bad, and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean, plumb, mad-dog mean.” — Josey Wales
12. “Hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.” — Josey Wale
13. “And I’m saying that men can live together without butchering one another.” — Josey Wales
14. “You would not make peace with the Bluecoats. You may go in peace.” — Josey Wales
15. Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.” — Josey Wales
16. “Dying ain’t hard for men like you and me. It’s living that’s hard when all you’ve ever cared about has been butchered or raped.” — Josey Wales
More The Outlaw of Josey Wales Quotes
Here are quotes from some of the other popular characters and moments from the film.
17. “This can’t be Santa Rio! My son, Tom Turner, said it was a thriving town!” — Grandma Sarah
18. “A man’s got to do something for a living these days.” — First Bounty Hunter
19. “I didn’t surrender, but they took my horse and made me surrender.” — Lone Watie
20. “Always wanted to face down one of these pistol fighters they raise all the fuss about.” — Abe
21. “Kansas was all golden and smelled like sunshine.” — Laura Lee
22. I’m gettin’ better at sneaking up on you like this. Only an Indian can do something like this.” — Lone Watie
23. “There’s another old saying, Senator. ‘Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.’” — Fletcher
24. “But they took my horse and made him surrender… they have him pullin’ a wagon up in Kansas, I’ll bet.” — Lone Watie
25. “We thought about it for a long time, ‘Endeavor to persevere.’ And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.” — Lone Watie
What Happens to Josey Wales?
Josey Wales escapes the double-cross but has a group of Redlegs pursuing him to kill him.
While Josey is on the run, he meets and travels with a diverse group of companions until the Redlegs catch up with them.
At that point, the group helps Josey gun down the Redlegs, and an injured Josey pursues the leader who had killed his family into town, where Josey finally gets his revenge.
Please share these Josey Wales quotes with your family and friends and post any comments about this western in the comment section below.