Kama Sutra Quotes For Lovers
March 20, 2023 3:24 AM EST
These Kama Sutra quotes are for lovers looking to learn how to live life well and fulfilled.
The Kama Sutra is an ancient Indian guide to living a life well, from finding a life partner and maintaining your love life to the pleasure-oriented faculties of life.
The book was written in the 2nd-3rd century CE by Indian author Vatsyayana Mallanaga.
It was first published in English in 1883.
The Kama Sutra is based on the Hindu concept of Purusharthas, which is the “objective of men.”
It refers to the four main goals of human life, which in Hinduism are Dharma, Artha, Kama, and Moksha.
While the book discusses teachings in courtship, how to be socially engaging, and sexual positions, it is mainly about the philosophy and theory of love.
Take a look at these Kama Sutra quotes to learn more about the book.
You will also enjoy our article on romantic couple quotes.
Kama Sutra Quotes on living a Hindu Life
Here are some quotes from the book on some of its teaching.
1. “A person who does nothing will enjoy no happiness.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
2. “Happiness both given and received is mutual enjoyment.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
3. “But one thing is to be noted, he should lead the life of a religious student until he finishes his education.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
4. “He should acquire learning in his childhood, in his youth and middle age he should attend to Artha and Kama, and in his old age he should perform Dharma” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
5. “For it is a universal rule that however bashful or angry a woman may be, she never disregards a man’s kneeling at her feet.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
6. “Man should study the Kama Sutra and the arts and sciences subordinate thereto, in addition to the study of the arts and sciences contained in Dharma and Artha.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
7. “When we repress our desires, they do not disappear but stay beneath the surface and continue to exert their influence.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
8. “No one refrains from cooking food because there are beggars to ask for it, or from sowing seed because there are deer to destroy the corn when it is grown up.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
9. “Love, when it is pure, has a revitalizing effect upon others, and in the presence of a truly loving person, others grow and expand into a healthier state of being.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
10. “Prosperity is the acquisition of things such as knowledge, land, gold, cattle, grain, merchandise, equipment, and friends, and the increase of what has been acquired.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
Kama Sutra Quotes about the Hindu Four Main Goals of Human Life
Take a look at these Kama Sutra quotes about the Hindu concept of the four main goals of life.
11. “A man practicing Dharma, Artha, and Kama enjoys happiness both in this world and in the world to come.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
12. “Any action which conduces to the practice of Dharma, Artha, and Kama together, or of any two, or even one of them, should be performed” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
13. “Dharma should be learnt from the Shruti (Holy Writ), and from those conversant with it.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
14. “Kama is the enjoyment of appropriate objects by the five senses of hearing, feeling, seeing, tasting and smelling, assisted by the mind together with the soul.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
15. “Man, the period of whose life is one hundred years, should practise Dharma, Artha, and Kama at different times and in such a manner that they may harmonize together and not clash in any way.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
16. “Pleasures, being as necessary for the existence and well-being of the body as food, are equally required. They are, moreover, the results of Dharma and Artha.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
17. “An intelligent and knowing person attending to Dharma and Artha and also to Kama, without becoming the slave of his passions, will obtain success in everything that he may do.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
Kama Sutra Quotes About Love
Take a look at these Kama Sutra quotes about love.
18. “Variety is necessary in love, so love is to be produced by means of variety.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
19. “Therefore, a woman should be treated in such a way that she reaches ecstasy first.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
20. “In short, nothing tends to increase love so much as the effects of marking with the nails and biting.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
21. “Whatever things may be done by one of the lovers to the other, the same should be returned by the other.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
22. “A man loves a girl ever so much, he never succeeds in winning her without a great deal of talking.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
23. “A man should gather from the actions of the woman of what disposition she is, and in what way she likes to be enjoyed.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
24. “Sexual intercourse is not merely a pleasure of the senses: more important is the sacrifice of oneself, the gift of self.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
25. “Thus if men and women act according to each other’s liking, their love for each other will not be lessened even in one hundred years.” — Vatsyayana, Kama Sutra
How Large of a Book is The Kama Sutra?
The Kama Sutra is organized into seven books containing 36 sections and 1,250 verses.
The modern book has 67 sections and is a narration of dramatic fiction where the two main characters are a man and a woman.
Share these Kama Sutra quotes with your partner, and post any comments about the book in the comment section below.