Resilience is what separates those who do from those who don’t. So, today, we have curated these resilience quotes from dozens of successful people who personify it.
What does “resilience” mean to you?
Are you preparing to bounce back from a career setback? Maybe you are looking for inspiration to make a big change within your own life; like moving to a brand new city. Mastering resilience is not letting failure control your mindset. If you can make important decisions without being plagued by the fear of failure, then you’re ahead of the game.
In the quotes below, these prominent figures remind you that you can do it. All you need is faith in your abilities. Check out some of the most inspirational resilience quotes available below.
Don’t forget to also read these motivating finish strong quotes to help you go the distance.
Resilience quotes to remind you of your strength
1. “Resilience is knowing that you are the only one that has the power and the responsibility to pick yourself up.” – Mary Holloway
2. “The difference between a strong man and a weak one is that the former does not give up after a defeat.” – Woodrow Wilson
3. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
4. “Proactively working to develop mental strength increases your resilience to stress and reduces the toll it takes on you both physically and mentally.” – Amy Morin
5. “Resilience is, of course, necessary for a warrior. But a lack of empathy isn’t.” – Phil Klay
6. “Persistence and resilience only come from having been given the chance to work through difficult problems.” – Gever Tulley
7. “Resilience isn’t a single skill. It’s a variety of skills and coping mechanisms. To bounce back from bumps in the road as well as failures, you should focus on emphasizing the positive.” – Jean Chatzky
8. “She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails.” – Elizabeth Edwards
9. “The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won’t. It’s whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.” – Barack Obama
10. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” – Charles Darwin
11. “The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists.” – Proverb
12. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying ‘I will try again tomorrow’.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
13. “Resilience is the ability to attack while running away.” – Wes Fessler
14. “Resilience is all about being able to overcome the unexpected. Sustainability is about survival. The goal of resilience is to thrive.” – Jamais Cascio
15. “Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.” – Alex Karras
16. “He’s a million rubber bands in his resilience.” – Alan K. Simpson
Resilience quotes to inspire you
17. “Experience life in all possible ways — good-bad, bitter-sweet, dark-light, summer-winter. Experience all the dualities. Don’t be afraid of experience, because the more experience you have, the more mature you become.” – Osho
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Osho quotes on how to live life and find inspiration.
18. “Only those who dare to fail greatly, can ever achieve greatly.” – Robert F. Kennedy
19. “Forget mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do right now, and do it. Today is your lucky day.” – Will Durant
20. “Resilience can go an awful long way.” – Eddie the Eagle
21. “We will either find a way, or make one.” – Anibal Barca
22. “I tried and failed. I tried again and again and succeeded.” – Gail Borden
23. “What ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” – Napoleon Hill
24. “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” – Proverb
25. “Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.” – Anthony Robbins
26. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
27. “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
28. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
29. “If your heart is broken, make art with the pieces.” – Shane Koyczan
Resilience quotes to help you move forward
30. “No matter how much falls on us, we keep plowing ahead. That’s the only way to keep the roads clear.” – Greg Kincaid
31. “Resilience is very different than being numb. Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt. You fall. But, you keep going.” – Yasmin Mogahed
32. “Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it’s less good than the one you had before.” – Elizabeth Edwards
33. “Part of resilience is deciding to make yourself miserable over something that matters, or deciding to make yourself miserable over something that doesn’t matter.” – Elizabeth Edwards
34. “The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” – Winston Churchill
35. “We are not a product of what has happened to us in our past. We have the power of choice.” – Stephen Covey
Resilience quotes to inspire success
36. “The moment we believe that success is determined by an ingrained level of ability as opposed to resilience and hard work, we will be brittle in the face of adversity.” – Joshua Waitzkin
37. “In order to succeed, people need a sense of self-efficacy, to struggle together with resilience to meet the inevitable obstacles and inequities of life.” – Albert Bandura
38. “A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him.” – David Brinkley
39. “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Nelson Mandela
40. “Don’t be distracted by criticism. Remember–the only taste of success some people get is to take a bite out of you.” – Zig Ziglar
41. “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” – Conrad Hilton
42. “The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.” – Vidal Sassoon
43. “It may sound strange, but many champions are made champions by setbacks.” – Bob Richards
44. “People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed. Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy.” – Tony Robbins
45. “Victory is sweetest when you’ve known defeat.” – Malcolm S. Forbes
46. “If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time.” – Steve Jobs
47. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas Edison
48. “Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston S. Churchill
49. “The road to success and the road to failure are almost exactly the same.” – Colin R. Davis
50. “Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” – Winston S. Churchill
What have you learned from these resilience quotes?
When I quit my first 9 to 5 job, I learned about the importance of resilience. Even though I just graduated from college, I felt as though the 9 to 5 life wasn’t for me. This was devastating because for the past four years I believed that life was supposed to be my destination. I felt like I had wasted everyone else’s time, including my own.
Although I felt defeated, I kept applying to other jobs. Two weeks later, I was hired onto my first long-term job as a freelancer. I left the door of opportunity open. Soon, the path to success revealed itself. If you’re struggling, remember resilience is always within you. You just have to choose it.
Which of these resilience quotes and sayings is your favorite? Let us know your favorite below!
February 13, 2020 7:30 AM EST