Homeschool Quotes About the Growing Education Option
March 8, 2023 5:12 AM EST
These homeschool quotes are about the popular and growing educational option for parents.
If you are concerned about what your kids are learning at public schools or their safety, one option is homeschooling.
Homeschooling is a growing trend among parents as they look for alternatives to traditional public or private schools.
Although each state has its own rules and requirements for homeschooled students, the option does exist to school your children at home.
With today’s technology, you can choose to use any number of curriculum options, including online learning from your public school in some cases.
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there are multiple reasons that parents are starting to choose to homeschool their children.
Some of the reasons include concern about the school environment, including safety or peer pressure, a desire for moral instruction, a desire for a non-traditional learning path, and many others.
Look at these homeschool quotes to learn more about this trending education option.
You will also enjoy our article on education quotes.
Homeschool Quotes from Parents
Check out some of these quotes from parents who have homeschooled their children.
1. “An observant child should be put in the way of things worth observing.” — Charlotte Mason
2. “Given a rich environment, learning becomes like the air—it’s in and around us.” — Sandra Dodd
3. “I homeschool my children not to prepare them for exams, but to prepare them for life.” — Tamara L. Chilver
4. “The first real lesson I learned as a homeschool teacher is that … it’s the students that lead the way.” — Patti Armstrong
5. “Homeschooling allows you to make the curriculum fit the child, rather than making the child fit the curriculum” — Homeschool with Love
6. “Homeschooling allows you the freedom to step off the highway of learning and take a more scenic route along a dirt road.” — Tamara L. Chilver
7. “Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.” — David O. McKay
8. “What was important was that we had time together…nothing can replace that. You can have that time too. Concentrate on the positives, and enjoy your time with your kids.” — Barbara Frank
9. “Kids who are in school just visit life sometimes, and then they have to stop to do homework or go to sleep early or get to school on time. They are constantly reminded they are “preparing for real life,” while being isolated from it.” — Sandra Dodd
10. “Once upon a time, all children were homeschooled. They were not sent away from home each day to a place just for children but lived, learned, worked, and played in the real world, alongside adults and other children of all ages.” — Rachel Gathercole
Encouraging Homeschool Quotes
Take a look at these homeschool quotes that are sure to encourage you.
11. “Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.” — Mr. Rogers
12. “When the atmosphere encourages learning, the learning is inevitable.” — Elizabeth Foss
13. “Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.” — Roger Lewin
14. “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” — Jim Rohn
15. “Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow.” — Anthony J. D’Angelo
16. “Homeschooled children benefit the community because they are not shaped by peers but by parents.” — Mary Kay Clark
17. “Homeschooling is about helping make it possible for children to reach maturity with healthy, curious, fully conscious minds.” — Earl Gary Stevens
18. “Kids blossom and get bigger from doing adult things because they want to, instead of kid-things they have to do because they’re small.” — Sandra Dodd
19. “Homeschooling is not a race to the finish line; it’s a journey of a million small discoveries on the path that God has marked out for you.” — Jeannie Fulbright
20. “Children learn best through their everyday experiences with the people they love and trust, and when the learning is fun.” — Center for Families, Communities, Schools and Children’s Learning
Thought-Provoking Homeschool Quotes
Here are some thought-provoking quotes about homeschooling to get your mind working.
21. “The home is the chief school of human virtues.” — William Channing
22. “The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.” — Sydney J. Harris
23. “Homeschooling is about growing and learning, not about being perfect.” — Kathy Oaks
24. “Thank goodness I was never sent to school: it would have rubbed off some of the originality.” — Beatrix Potter
25. “The difference between me and other mothers is that I’d rather hire out the cleaning than the children’s learning.” — Theresa Thomas
26. “Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he’s not interested, it’s like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it eating.” — Katrina Gutleben
27. “Once I realized we didn’t need to recreate the traditional classroom, and that we could customize our kids’ education, I discovered a new type of freedom.” — Kent Larson
28. “I suppose it is because nearly all children go to school nowadays and have things arranged for them that they seem so forlornly unable to produce their own ideas.” — Agatha Christie
29. “Don’t worry about socialization. Wherever people congregate, there is going to be interaction, socialization.” Where is it written that it needs to be in schools?” — Mary Kay Clark
30. “We ask children to do for most of a day what few adults are able to do for even an hour. How many of us, attending, say, a lecture that doesn’t interest us, can keep our minds from wandering?” — John Holt
Positive Homeschool Quotes
Here are some positive quotes about homeschooling.
31. “All the world is my school.” — George Whitman
32. “When one teaches, two learn.” — Robert Heinlein
33. “Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life.” — Charlotte Mason
34. “Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army.” — Edward Everett
35. “Parents and families are the first and most important teachers.” — Richard W. Riley
36. “A moment’s insight is sometimes worth a life’s experience.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes
37. “Homeschool mama, you can’t be everything to everyone. You are not taco night.” — Kara Anderson
38. “From the day you became a parent, you also became a teacher, and you are equipped to be a teacher.” — Anne Campbell
39. “Children are born with all the curiosity they will ever need. it will last a lifetime if they are fed upon a daily diet of ideas.” — Charlotte Mason
40. “Childhood is not a race to see how quickly a child can read, write, and count. Childhood is a small window of time to learn and develop at the pace which is right for each individual child.” — Magda Gerber
The Best Homeschool Quotes
Enjoy some of the best quotes about homeschooling!
41. “Children spell love… T-I-M-E.” — Dr. A. Witham
42. “Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I remember. Involve me, and I learn.” — Benjamin Franklin
43. “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” — William Butler Yeats
44. “If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” — Ignacio Estrada
45. “The gardener does not make the plant grow. The job of a gardener is to create the optimal conditions.” — Ken Robinson
46. “By letting our children lead us to their own special places, we can rediscover the joy and wonder of nature.” — Richard Louv
47. “I cannot remember the books I have read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
48. “The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.” — Henri Poincare
49. “With thirty-two kids in a room, it is impossible to cater education toward each child. Children do have to wait because there are a lot of children to wait for.” — Nikki Schaefer
50. “The function of true education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
What Resources Do I Need to Homeschool?
Homeschooling can be a very positive experience for your family, and you don’t need as many resources as you may have thought to get started.
Some of the things you will need to homeschool are access to the internet, access to a computer, paper, and writing utensils.
A printer and a dedicated space are helpful but not a dealbreaker.
Please share these homeschool quotes with your family and friends and post any comments about homeschooling in the comment section below.