Learn more about the landmark case of Loving v. Virginia with these Loving quotes.
Richard and Mildred Loving fought tirelessly from the late 50s to the mid—60s to challenge the legal barriers that prohibited interracial marriage in the United States.
Tell us your favorite Loving quotes in the comment section!
Why You Should Read Loving Quotes
The journey of Richard and Mildred Loving is truly inspiring.
Reading these Loving quotes will give you knowledge and insight into their struggle against racial discrimination and the enduring impact of their fight for love.
Richard Loving was a white man, and Mildred Jeter was a woman of African and Native American descent.
They were deeply in love and decided to get married in 1958.
However, the state of Virginia, where they lived, had strict laws that criminalized their union.
They were called anti-miscegenation laws, which means that they prohibited interracial couples from:
- Having sex
A few weeks after their marriage, Richard and Mildred were arrested and charged with violating Virginia’s Racial Integrity Act.
They had a choice: serve a prison sentence or leave the state for 25 years.
Determined to fight for their rights, the Lovings took their case to the courts.
After a legal battle of almost nine years, the Loving case reached the Supreme Court in 1967.
In the landmark decision, a unanimous vote ruled that anti-miscegenation laws were unconstitutional and all individuals have the right to marry who they choose, regardless of their race.
The Loving v. Virginia decision was a significant victory for civil rights and promoted more social acceptance of interracial marriage.
Their story was adapted into a movie called Loving, released in 2016 and directed by Jeff Nichols.
Richard and Mildred’s story is a testament to the transformative power of love and the pursuit of justice.
Their courage and perseverance sparked a revolution, inspiring us to challenge prejudice and strive for a more inclusive society.
Enjoy these Loving Quotes!
Top Ten Quotes from the Movie Loving
Here are some of the best Loving quotes from the film.
1. “Tell the judge I love my wife.” — Richard Loving
2. “I can’t live in this here jail no more.” — Richard Loving
3. “We have to go, and we can’t come back.” — Mildred Loving
4. “It ain’t right; it ain’t right what they’re doing to us.” — Mildred Loving
5. “We may lose the small battles, but win the big war.” — Richard Loving
6. “What we’re doing is gonna make a lot of people mad.” — Richard Loving
7. “Richard, the only thing I can think of to do is to come home.” — Mildred Loving
8. “I know we have some enemies, but we have some friends too.” — Mildred Loving
9. “I can’t change the color of my skin. And I can’t change who I love.” — Mildred Loving
10. “I can take care of you. I can take care of you better than anybody else.” — Richard Loving
The Best Quotes from Mildred and Richard Loving
These Loving quotes directly from the couple are truly impactful.
11. “Our love is no different from anyone else’s. Love is love.” — Mildred Loving
12. “When two people love each other, nothing else matters.” — Mildred Loving
13. “We were not asking for special treatment, just equal treatment.” — Richard Loving
14. “Our love story was not always easy, but it was always worth it.” — Richard Loving
15. “The freedom to marry the person you love is a fundamental right.” — Richard Loving
16. “The right to marry the person of your choice is a basic human right.” — Mildred Loving
17. “Love has no boundaries, and no law should stand in the way of that.” — Richard Loving
18. “We are not doing anything wrong by being together and loving each other.” — Richard Loving
19. “Love is the strongest force in the world, and it can overcome any obstacle.” — Mildred Loving
20. “Love knows no boundaries, and it has the power to change hearts and minds.” — Mildred Loving
Wise Words from the Loving’s
These Loving quotes are more profound words from the groundbreaking couple.
21. “We are not doing anything wrong by being together and loving each other.” — Richard Loving
22. “We never wanted to be heroes; we just wanted to be able to live our lives together.” — Mildred Loving
23. “Love is what brought us together and what kept us strong throughout our fight.” — Mildred Loving
24. “We hoped that our case would help create a more inclusive and accepting society.” — Mildred Loving
25. “We loved each other and got married because we wanted to spend our lives together.” — Mildred Loving
26. “I believe all Americans should be able to marry the person they love, regardless of race.” — Mildred Loving
27. “It’s not about the color of our skin; it’s about love and the freedom to choose who we marry.” — Richard Loving
28. “We are grateful for the love and support we received from people all over the country.” — Mildred Loving
29. “Our marriage was a symbol of hope and progress for many couples facing similar challenges.” — Richard Loving
30. “We never wanted our children to grow up feeling like they were less than anyone else.” — Richard Loving
Quotes From the Legal Case and Supreme Court Decision
These Loving quotes are directly related to the court case and ultimate ruling.
31. “The Supreme Court decision was a victory for love and equality.” — Mildred Loving
32. “We never imagined our love would have such an impact on the world.” — Richard Loving
33. “They were not concerned with the racial integrity but racial supremacy of the white race.” — Philip Hirschkop
34. “Our case was about ending discrimination and ensuring that love conquers all.” — Richard Loving
35. “In our hearts, we knew it was wrong for the government to tell us who we could and couldn’t marry.” — Mildred Loving
Loving quotes from journalists, delegates, and lawyers
36. “We have traveled this far toward tolerance and integration in other areas. It is my earnest hope that this law will be struck down.” — Carl Rowan
37. “They robbed the Negro race of its dignity and only a decision which will reach the full body of these laws in the State of Virginia will change that.” — Phillip Hirschkop
38.“The language meant to include equal protection for Negroes that was at the very heart of it and that equal protection included the right to marry as any other human being had the right to marry subject to only the same limitations.” — Bernard S. Cohen
39. “And that is the right of Richard and Mildred Loving to wake up in the morning or to go to sleep at night knowing that the sheriff will not be knocking on their door or shining a light in their face in the privacy of their bedroom for illicit co—habitation.” — Bernard S. Cohen
40. “We fail to see how any reasonable man can but conclude that these laws are slavery laws were incepted to keep slaves in their place, were prolonged to keep the slaves in their place, and in truth, the Virginia law still view the Negro race as a slave race, that these are the most odious laws to come before the court.” — Phillip Hirschkop
More Loving Quotes
Here are some more impactful quotes about the Loving story.
41. “I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.” — Mildred Loving
42. “We didn’t realize we were making history at the time. We just wanted the right to be husband and wife.” — Richard Loving
43. “No one should be forced to leave their home or their state just to be able to marry the person they love.” — Richard Loving
44. “The Loving case was a pivotal moment in our nation’s history, affirming the principle that love knows no boundaries.” — Sherrilyn Ifill
45. “The Loving decision was a triumph of justice and equality, reminding us that love is a universal language that transcends race.” — Vanita Gupta
46. “The Lovings fought to prove that love is stronger than hate, and that marriage is a fundamental right for all.” — Former President Barack Obama
47. “The heart of marriage is love, and the Supreme Court recognized that the integrity of love is what makes marriage so powerful.” — Nancy Northup
48. “Richard and Mildred Loving’s courage to challenge injustice continues to inspire generations and serves as a reminder of the power of love to transform society.” — Patricia Arquette
49. “Sometimes we don’t hold hands just so people don’t stare. But sometimes— SOMETIMES— you just have to hold on.”― Patricia Hruby Powell, Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case
50. “I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life.” — Mildred Loving
Other States That Followed Suit
The Loving v. Virginia decision legalized interracial marriage across the United States and paved the way for the acceptance of interracial relationships.
Some of the states that moved quickly to repeal or modify their anti-miscegenation laws after the ruling include:
- Maryland: Maryland repealed its anti-miscegenation laws in 1967, shortly after the Loving decision.
- Georgia: Georgia repealed its anti-miscegenation laws in 1968, just one year after the Supreme Court ruling.
- North Carolina: North Carolina repealed its anti-miscegenation laws in 1971, a few years after the Loving ruling.
Please let us know your favorite Loving quote in the comment section, and share these quotes with family and friends via social media!