St. Teresa of Avila quotes to introduce you to a famous saint.
St. Teresa of Avila was born in Spain in 1515.
Raised as a Christian, St. Teresa of Avila was dedicated to her faith from a young age.
At the age of 7, she ran away with her brother in order to seek martyrdom in the war against the Moors.
Her uncle saved them when he saw her and her brother just outside the town walls and brought them home.
St. Teresa dove further into her religion when her mother passed away when she was only 11 years old.
This included attending the Augustinian nuns’ school at Avila.
Don’t forget to also check out these St. Francis of Assisi quotes from the patron saint for ecologists.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
St Teresa of Avila quotes and sayings about Trust and Patience
1. “Let nothing perturb you, nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything.” – St Teresa of Avila
2. “To have courage for whatever comes in life — everything lies in that.” – St Teresa of Avila
You will also enjoy our article on Bad Santa quotes.
3. “Pain is never permanent.” – St Teresa of Avila
4. “I know the power obedience has of making things easy which seem impossible.” – St Teresa of Avila
5. “To reach something good it is very useful to have gone astray, and thus acquire experience.” – St Teresa of Avila
6. “Trust God that you are where you are meant to be.” – St Teresa of Avila
7. “God aids the valiant…both to you and to me He will give the help needed.” – St Teresa of Avila
8. “The time will come when we shall realize that all we have paid has been nothing at all by comparison with the greatness of our prizes.” – St Teresa of Avila
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of St Catherine of Siena quotes for life and faith.
Saint Teresa of Avila Quotes about Peace and Evil
9. “May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise, and love. It is there for each and every one of us.” – St Teresa of Avila
10. “Our souls may lose their peace and even disturb other people’s if we are always criticizing trivial actions – which often are not real defects at all, but we construe them wrongly through our ignorance of their motives.” – St Teresa of Avila
11. “I am more afraid of those who are terrified of the devil than I am of the devil himself.” – St Teresa of Avila
12. “May God protect me from gloomy saints.” – St Teresa of Avila
13. “I thought of the soul as resembling a castle, formed of a single diamond or a very transparent crystal, and containing many rooms, just as in Heaven there are many mansions.” – St Teresa of Avila
14. “Don’t let your sins turn into bad habits.” – St Teresa of Avila
15. “God gave us faculties for our use; each of them will receive its proper reward. Then do not let us try to charm them to sleep, but permit them to do their work until divinely called to something higher.” – St Teresa of Avila
16. “If we plant a flower or a shrub and water it daily it will grow so tall that in time we shall need a spade and a hoe to uproot it. It is just so, I think, when we commit a fault, however small, each day, and do not cure ourselves of it.” – St Teresa of Avila
17. “A soul which gives itself to prayer, either much or little, should on no account be kept within narrow bounds.” – St Teresa of Avila
18. “I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.” – St Teresa of Avila
St Teresa of Avila Prayer Quotes about Faith
19. “The closer one approaches to God, the simpler one becomes.” – St Teresa of Avila
20. “Reflect upon the providence and wisdom of God in all created things and praise Him in them all.” – St Teresa of Avila
21. “The tree that is beside the running water is fresher and gives more fruit.” – St Teresa of Avila
22. “We need no wings to go in search of Him, but have only to look upon Him present within us.” – St Teresa of Avila
23. “The feeling remains that God is on the journey, too.” – St Teresa of Avila
24. “You pay God a compliment by asking great things of Him.” – St Teresa of Avila
25. “There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers.” – St Teresa of Avila
26. “For prayer is nothing else than being on terms of friendship with God.” – St Teresa of Avila
27. “We can only learn to know ourselves and do what we can – namely, surrender our will and fulfill God’s will in us.” – St Teresa of Avila
28. “In all created things discern the providence and wisdom of God, and in all things give Him thanks.” – St Teresa of Avila
29. “Christ has no body now, but yours. No hands, no feet on earth, but yours. Yours are the eyes through which Christ looks compassion into the world. Yours are the feet with which Christ walks to do good. Yours are the hands with which Christ blesses the world.” – St Teresa of Avila
St Teresa of Avila Quotes about Truth and Humility
30. “Truth suffers, but never dies.” – St Teresa of Avila
31. “Be gentle to all and stern with yourself.” – St Teresa of Avila
32. “All things must come to the soul from its roots, from where it is planted.” – St Teresa of Avila
33. “God has been very good to me, for I never dwell upon anything wrong which a person has done, so as to remember it afterwards. If I do remember it, I always see some other virtue in that person.” – St Teresa of Avila
34. “Untilled soil, however fertile it may be, will bear thistles and thorns; and so it is with man’s mind.” – St Teresa of Avila
35. “Remember that you have only one soul; that you have only one death to die; that you have only one life… If you do this, there will be many things about which you care nothing.” – St Teresa of Avila
36. “Time is but a shadow, a dream; already God sees us in glory and takes joy in our eternal beatitude. How this thought helps my soul! I understand then why He lets us suffer.” – St Teresa of Avila
37. “It is true that we cannot be free from sin, but at least let our sins not be always the same.” – St Teresa of Avila
38. “There is more value in a little study of humility and in a single act of it than in all the knowledge in the world.” – St Teresa of Avila
39. “If we remember all the time that we are poor, the richer we find ourselves, the greater will be the profit that comes to us and the more genuine our humility.” – St Teresa of Avila
40. “Humility does not disturb or disquiet or agitate, however great it may be; it comes with peace, delight, and calm.” – St Teresa of Avila
41. “Humility, however deep it be, neither disquiets nor troubles nor disturbs the soul; it is accompanied by peace, joy, and tranquility.” – St Teresa of Avila
St Teresa of Avila Quotes about Love and Friendship
42. “Accustom yourself continually to make many acts of love, for they enkindle and melt the soul.” – St Teresa of Avila
43. “Our body has this defect that, the more it is provided care and comforts, the more needs and desires it finds.” – St Teresa of Avila
44. “The important thing is not to think much but to love much and so do that which best stirs you to love. Love is not great delight but desire to please God in everything.” – St Teresa of Avila
45. “Prayer is an act of love; words are not needed. Even if sickness distracts from thoughts, all that is needed is the will to love.” – St Teresa of Avila
46. “It is here, my daughters, that love is to be found / not hidden away in corners but in the midst of occasions of sin. And believe me, although we may more often fail and commit small lapses, our gain will be incomparably the greater.” – St Teresa of Avila
47. “Take God for your spouse and friend and walk with Him continually, and you will not sin, will learn to love, and the things you must do will work out prosperously for you.” – St Teresa of Avila
48. “What a great favor God does to those He places in the company of good people!” – St Teresa of Avila
49. “It is love alone that gives worth to all things.” – St Teresa of Avila
50. “We may speak of love and humility as the true flowers of spiritual growth; and they give off a wonderful scent, which benefits all those who come near.” – St Teresa of Avila
What did you learn from these St Teresa of Avila quotes?
You can see from the quotes that St. Teresa of Avila was very dedicated to her beliefs and loved God greatly.
As St. Teresa of Avila became an adult she continued to grow her faith and she pushed the boundaries of what some believed.
She practiced deep religious thinking and believed in meditation and mystical asceticism.
During her life her beliefs were controversial, but forty years after her death she was Canonized by the Pope and she later became one of the patron saints of Spain.
St. Teresa of Avila passed away in 1582 at age 67, but her life’s work has lived on.
What did you learn from these St. Teresa of Avila quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
April 30, 2021 7:00 AM EST