If you’re a supporter of the approach of Montessori schools, you’ll enjoy these Maria Montessori quotes from the woman behind the classroom.
Many people have heard of Montessori schools but not everyone understands what they are or where the idea came from. Maria Montessori was a woman that was incredibly educated during a period of time when many women did not further their education.
She had formal education in both medicine and education. She eventually experimented with a style of learning and quickly saw it’s success. This learning style involved providing children with items that would build their interest and learning in different subjects but allowing the child’s interests to influence their activities.
As the woman that changed education, Maria Montessori is someone who clearly managed to tap into her Everyday Power. Enjoy this selection of inspirational, wise, and enlightening Maria Montessori quotes and sayings.
Don’t forget to also check out these education quotes and the power of learning.
Maria Montessori quotes about children
1. “A child who has become master of his acts through long and repeated exercises, and who has been encouraged by the pleasant and interesting activities in which he has been engaged, is a child filled with health and joy and remarkable for his calmness and discipline.” – Maria Montessori
2. “The child who concentrates is immensely happy.” – Maria Montessori
3. “The hand is the instrument of intelligence. The child needs to manipulate objects and to gain experience by touching and handling.” – Maria Montessori
4. “In the child is much knowledge, much wisdom. If we do not profit from it, it is only because of neglect on our part to become humble and to see the wonder of this soul and learn what the child can teach.” – Maria Montessori
5. “Adults move because their will directs them. The small child is urged by nature.” – Maria Montessori
6. “It is necessary that the child teach himself, and then the success is great.” – Maria Montessori
7. “The child who has never learned to work by himself, to set goals for his own acts, or to be the master of his own force of will is recognizable in the adult who lets others guide his will and feels a constant need for approval of others.” – Maria Montessori
8. “The child is both a hope and a promise for mankind.” – Maria Montessori
9. “By the age of three the child has already laid down the foundations of his personality as a human being.” – Maria Montessori
10. “Free the child’s potential, and you will transform him into the world.” – Maria Montessori
11. “Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed.” – Maria Montessori
12. “When children come into contact with nature, they reveal their strength.” – Maria Montessori
13. “Our care of the child should be governed, not by the desire to make him learn things, but by the endeavor always to keep burning within him that light which is called intelligence.” – Maria Montessori
Also check out these Rick Warren quotes for living a better life.
Maria Montessori quotes about education and teaching
14. “The teacher’s task is not to talk, but to prepare and arrange a series of motives for cultural activity in a special environment made for the child.” – Maria Montessori
15. “Education is the best weapon for peace.” – Maria Montessori
16. “Preventing conflicts is the work of politics; establishing peace is the work of education.” – Maria Montessori
17. “The goal of childhood education should be to activate the child’s own natural desire to learn.” – Maria Montessori
18. “Education cannot be effective unless it helps a child open up to himself about life.” – Maria Montessori
19. “This is the hope we have—a hope in a new humanity that will come from this new education, an education that is collaboration of man and the universe….” – Maria Montessori
20. “All children can…explode into learning.” – Maria Montessori
21. “The greatest sign of success for a teacher is to be able to say, ‘The children are now working as if I did not exist.” – Maria Montessori
22. “The education of a small child, therefore, does not aim at preparing him for school, but for life.” – Maria Montessori
23. “An education capable of saving humanity is no small undertaking: it involves the spiritual development of man, the enhancement of his value as an individual, and the preparation of young people to understand the times in which they live.” – Maria Montessori
24. “Education is a natural process carried out by the child and is not acquired by listening to words but by experiences in the environment.” – Maria Montessori
25. “The training of the teacher is far more than learning ideas. It includes training of character. It is a preparation of the spirit.” – Maria Montessori
26. “The child is truly a miraculous being, and this should be felt deeply by the educator.” – Maria Montessori
Inspirational Maria Montessori quotes
27. “We teachers can only help the work going on, as servants wait upon a master.” – Maria Montessori
28. “The greatness of the human personality begins at the hour of birth. From this almost mystic affirmation there comes what may seem a strange conclusion that education must start from birth.” – Maria Montessori
29. “What the hand does, the mind remembers.” – Maria Montessori
30. “Peace is what every human being is craving for, and it can be brought about by humanity through the child.” – Maria Montessori
31. “Teach by teaching, not by correcting.” – Maria Montessori
Wise Maria Montessori quotes
32. “Discipline must come through liberty…. We do not consider an individual disciplined only when he has been rendered as artificially silentas a mute and as immovable as a paralytic. He is an individual annihilated, not disciplined.” – Maria Montessori
33. “The first idea the child must acquire is that of the difference between good and evil.” – Maria Montessori
34. “Free choice is one of the highest of all mental processes.” – Maria Montessori
35. “No one can be free unless he is independent.” – Maria Montessori
36. “These words reveal the child’s inner needs; ‘Help me to do it alone’.” – Maria Montessori
37. “Growth comes from activity, not from intellectual understanding.” – Maria Montessori
38. “Joy is the evidence of inner growth.” – Maria Montessori
39. “Education should no longer be most imparting of knowledge, but must take a new path, seeking the release of human potentialities.” – Maria Montessori
40. “Concentration is the key that opens up to the child the latent treasures within him.” – Maria Montessori
41. “Of all things love is the most potent.” – Maria Montessori
42. “Respect all the reasonable forms of activity in which the child engages and try to understand them.” – Maria Montessori
43. “It is the child who makes the man, and no man exists who was not made by the child he once was.” – Maria Montessori
Maria Montessori quotes that will make you think
44. “The child who has felt a strong love for his surroundings and for all living creatures, who has discovered joy and enthusiasm in work, gives us reason to hope that humanity can develop in a new direction.” – Maria Montessori
45. “The land is where our roots are. The children must be taught to feel and live in harmony with the Earth.” – Maria Montessori
46. “We shall walk together on this path of life, for all things are a part of the universe, and are connected with each other to form one whole unity. This idea helps the mind of the child to become fixed, to stop wandering in an aimless quest for knowledge. He is satisfied, having found the universal centre of himself with all things.” – Maria Montessori
47. “A child is a discoverer. He is an amorphous, splendid being in search of his own proper form.” – Maria Montessori
48. “Giving children the opportunity to stir up life and leave it free to discover.” – Maria Montessori
49. “An interesting piece of work, freely chosen, which has the virtue of inducing concentration rather than fatigue, adds to the child’s energies and mental capacities, and leads him to self-mastery.” – Maria Montessori
50. “Growth is not merely a harmonious increase in size, but a transformation.” – Maria Montessori
51. “Imagination does not become great until human beings, given the courage and the strength, use it to create.” – Maria Montessori
More Maria Montessori quotes
52. “It is not enough for the teacher to love the child. She must first love and understand the universe. She must prepare herself, and truly work at it.” – Maria Montessori
53. “Within the child lies the fate of the future.” – Maria Montessori
54. “Do not erase the designs the child makes in the soft wax of his inner life.” – Maria Montessori
55. “To stimulate life, leaving it free, however, to unfold itself–that is the first duty of the educator.” – Maria Montessori
56. “If education is always to be conceived along the same antiquated lines of a mere transmission of knowledge, there is little to be hoped from it in the bettering of man’s future.” – Maria Montessori
57. “It might be said that the same thing is true of every form of education; a man is not what he is because of the teachers he has had, but because of what he has done.” – Maria Montessori
58. “The education of the senses has, as its aim, the refinement of the differential perception of stimuli by means of repeated exercises.” – Maria Montessori
59. “The simplicity or imperfection of external objects often serves to develop the activity and the dexterity of the pupils.” – Maria Montessori
60. “No social problem is as universal as the oppression of the child.” – Maria Montessori
Maria Montessori changed learning forever
Through the work that Maria did and the achievements that she accomplished, students for future generations have benefited.
Students in Montessori schools are known for developing a strong enjoyment of learning due to their ability to explore the subjects in the way that makes the most sense to them.
Maria Montessori was able to achieve this and introduce the world to a new way of learning because she was willing to put her own formal education first. She made tough decisions throughout her life, sacrificing personal relationships in order to build upon her professional advancements. But she forever changed the what we know about the education of children because of it.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Maria Montessori quotes and sayings? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
February 26, 2021 6:00 AM EST