Check out these Midsummer Night’s Dream quotes from the hit movie!
Midsummer Night’s Dream is a 1999 fantasy romantic comedy directed, written, and co-produced by Michael Hoffman.
Based on the William Shakespeare play of the same name, the movie did not do great at the box office.
It earned $16.1 million against an $11 million budget but received generally good reviews and is a favorite among many.
The star-studded cast includes Rupert Everett, Calista Flockhart, Kevin Kline, Michelle Pfeiffer, Stanley Tucci, and Christian Bale.
The plot takes place in the 1890s in Italy.
It has two lovers, Lysander and Hermia, that are forbidden to marry by Hermia’s father.
Instead, they take off into the woods.
They are followed by Demetrius, the man Hermia was promised to, and Helena, who is in love with Demetrius.
They all end up in the land of fairies, who use a magic potion to make the lovers fall in love with the wrong person.
Eventually, all is set right, and the true lovers are paired with each other.
Enjoy these lighthearted Midsummer Night’s Dream quotes from the romantic comedy.
You will also enjoy our article on Careful What You Wish For quotes.
Midsummer Night’s Dream quotes from the two lovers
Enjoy these quotes from Lysander and Hermia in the movie!
1. “How low am I, thou painted maypole?” — Hermia
2. “My soul consents not to give sovereignty.” — Hermia
3. “The course of true love never did run smooth.” — Lysander
4. “But as I think, for truly would I speak, I came with Hermia hither.” — Lysander
5. “So will I grow, so live, so die, my lord, Ere I will yield my virgin patent up.” — Hermia
6. “If then true lovers have been ever crossed, It stands as an edict in destiny.” — Hermia
7. “Methinks I see these things with parted eye, When everything seems double.” — Hermia
8. “Unto his Lordship, whose unwishèd yoke. My soul consents not to give sovereignty.” — Hermia
9. “And are you grown so high in his esteem, Because I am so dwarfish and so low?” — Hermia
10. “Our intent was to be gone from Athens where we might without the peril of the Athenian law…” — Lysander
Midsummer Night’s Dream quotes from the rest of the characters
Check out these quotes from the rest of the cast.
11. “Oh, Spite. Oh, hell.” — Helena
12. “Why do they run away?” — Nick Bottom
13. “Out of this wood do not desire to go.” — Titania
14. “Bless me. Thou art translated.” — Peter Quince
15. “That is hot ice and wonderous strange snow.” — Theseus
16. “Bottom, thou art changed. What do I see on thee?” — Tom Snout
17. “Now, until the break of day.Through this house each fairy stray.” — Oberon
18. “The iron tongue of midnight hath told twelve: Lovers, to bed; ‘tis almost fairy time.” — Theseus
19. “Never excuse, for when the players are all dead, there need none to be blamed.” — Theseus
20. “My good lord, I wot not by what power, but by some power it is, my love to Hermia melted as the snow, and all the faith, the virtue of my heart, the object and the pleasure of mine eye is only Helena.” — Demetrius
Never give up on your true love
In the movie, Hermia and Lysander don’t let traditional rules stop them from being together.
They take a chance and run away, and because they were willing to take that chance, they could be together.
Please share these Midsummer Night’s Dream quotes and lines with your rom-com-loving friends and family.
Post any comments in the comment section below.