These The Soprano quotes from all of our favorite characters show just what it was like walking the line between crime and family.
The Sopranos is an American crime drama television series created by David Chase that premiered on HBO in 1999.
The series revolves around the life of Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini), a New Jersey-based Italian-American mobster.
The show depicts the hardships that Tony faces while he tries to balance his family life and his role as the leader of the crime syndicate.
Many have wondered if The Sopranos is based on a true story. It is believed that the character of Tony Soprano is based on real-life New Jersey mobster, Vincent “Vinny Ocean” Palermo.
Most of Tony’s struggles are discussed during his therapy sessions with his psychiatrist, as you can see with these The Sopranos quotes from Jennifer Melfi (Lorraine Bracco).
The series, which is often called one of the greatest TV shows of all time, also features Tony’s family members, mafia colleagues, and rivals.
These people include his wife Carmela (Edie Falco) and his protégé/distant cousin Christopher Moltisanti (Michael Imperioli), both of which have some incredible lines featured in these The Sopranos quotes.
Keep reading to learn more about the long-running show that brought us inside the world of the Italian mafia.
Don’t forget to also check out these Tony Soprano quotes from the boss.
The Sopranos quotes from Christopher Moltisanti
1. “Unless they’re paying your nut, nobody has a right to tell anybody else how to earn a f***ing living.” — Christopher Moltisanti
2. “There’s no chemical solution to a spiritual problem.” — Christopher Moltisanti
3. “That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.” — Christopher Moltisanti
4. “I’ve been sober and I’ve been high. Sober’s better.” — Christopher Moltisanti
5. “I had some problems with my screenplay, so I bought that book, ‘How to Write a Movie in 21 Days’. That was like a year ago.” — Christopher Moltisanti
6. “When you’re bleeding a guy, you don’t squeeze him dry right away. Contrarily, you let him do his bidding, suavely. So you can bleed him next week and the week after, at a minimum.” — Christopher Moltisanti
7. “Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. There was no one there.” — Christopher Moltisanti
8. “Other people’s definitions of you? Sometimes they’re more about making themselves feel better. You gotta define yourself.” — Christopher Moltisanti
9. “I got no identity. Even Brendan Filone’s got an identity. He’s dead.” — Christopher Moltisanti
10. “Highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive.” — Christopher Moltisanti
The Sopranos quotes from Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
11. “You’re too f***ing worried about what I give you. Worry a little more about what you give me.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
12. “We each and every one of us, we’re alone in the ring, fighting for our lives.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
13. “These are snakes with fur. The old Italians will tell you, you can’t even put them around a baby. They suck the breath right out.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
14. “The world don’t run on love.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
15. “Life’s too short. You can’t waste it fighting with your friends.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
16. “I’d rather face 10 guys with shivs than something I can’t see.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
17. “I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
18. “As far as f***ing bears are concerned, I say, get rid of them all. They had their turn, and now we got ours. That’s why dinosaurs don’t exist no more.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
19. “Amazing thing about snakes is that they reproduce spontaneously. They have both male and female sex organs. That’s why somebody you don’t trust, you call a snake. How can you trust a guy who can literally go f*** themselves?” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
20. “You can take 2007 and give it back to the Indians.” — Paulie ‘Walnuts’ Gualtieri
The Sopranos quotes from Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
21. “Some people are so far behind in the race that they actually believe they’re leading.” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
22. “You heard about the Chinese Godfather? He made them an offer they couldn’t understand.” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
23. “That’s what being a boss is, you steer the ship the best way you know. Sometimes it’s smooth, sometimes you hit the rocks. In the meantime, you find your pleasures where you can.” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
24. “My father told me, ‘never get old.’ I should have listened to him.” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
25. “Let me die now if a man can’t voice to a beautiful woman the zephyrs that are blowing through his mind.” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
26. “If you can’t get your friends jobs, what’s the purpose of attaining success?” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
27. “Federal marshals are so far up my ass I can taste Brylcreem.” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
28. “At our age it’s enough surprise we’re still alive every morning.” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
29. “Guy comes home with a bouquet of flowers for his wife. ‘I guess I’ll have to spread my legs now,’ she says. ‘Why?’ he asks. ‘Don’t you have a vase?’” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
30. “Five hours they let me out for these funerals. I gotta spend it being maudlin?” — Corrado ‘Junior’ Soprano
The Sopranos quotes from Jennifer Melfi
31. “We need to repeat what’s familiar, even if it’s bad for us.” — Jennifer Melfi
32. “People see only what you allow them to see.” — Jennifer Melfi
33. “Hope comes in many forms.” — Jennifer Melfi
34. “In your family, even motherhood is up for debate.” — Jennifer Melfi
35. “Grown children often secretly wish for an aged parent to die. And it’s not necessary for the parent to be a witness for the prosecution. It’s a taboo thought, but common. Particularly if the parent has lost all capacity for joy at being alive.” — Jennifer Melfi
36. “Genetic predispositions are only that: predispositions. It’s not a destiny written in stone. People have choices.” — Jennifer Melfi
37. “Depression is rage turned inward.” — Jennifer Melfi
38. “Well, you threw that at me like a rock.” — Jennifer Melfi
39. “I don’t think I’ve ever passed judgment on your sex life or any patient’s sex life.” — Jennifer Melfi
40. “ Some people take pleasure in the simple doing of things.” — Jennifer Melfi
The Sopranos quotes from Carmela Soprano
41. “After 19 years of marriage, I find it very sad that we have to pay someone to teach us how to interact.” — Carmela Soprano
42. “You know, Tony, it’s a multiple choice thing with you. ‘Cause I can’t tell if you’re old-fashioned, you’re paranoid, or just a f***ing a**hole.” — Carmela Soprano
43. “What’s different between you and me is you’re going to hell when you die!” — Carmela Soprano
44. “Poverty is a great motivator.” — Carmela Soprano
45. “More is lost by indecision than by wrong decision.” — Carmela Soprano
46. “Let me tell you something, or you can watch the f***ing news. Everything comes to an end.” — Carmela Soprano
47. “I know you better than anybody, Tony. Even your friends. Which is probably why you hate me.” — Carmela Soprano
48. “You’re putting me in a position where I’m feeling sorry for a whore who fucks you?! You know what’s even stranger-for a second I believed you.” — Carmela Soprano
49. “What kind of animal smokes marijuana at his own confirmation?” — Carmela Soprano
50. “There has to be consequences. What kind of parents would we be if we let her get away with this?” — Carmela Soprano
Which of these The Sopranos quotes is your favorite?
The Sopranos ran for six seasons, which totaled 86 episodes. It ended in June 2007 and won several awards along the way, including Peabody Awards for its first two seasons, 21 Primetime Emmy Awards, and five Golden Globe Awards.
The show was so popular it has become a media franchise, spawning books, a video game, and even podcasts. You can also buy quite the assortment of Sopranos merchandise.
The movie, The Many Saints of Newark, which is also written by David Chase, offers some back story about HBO’s favorite crime family. It was released to theaters on October 1, 2021, and is also available for streaming on HBO Max. Interestingly, the film also stars Michael Gandolfini, the son of Tony Soprano actor James Gandolfini, as a young Tony Soprano.
If you haven’t seen The Sopranos you can still watch it, maybe before going to see the movie! The Sopranos is available on Hulu if you purchase the HBO add-on. You can also watch it on HBO Max. However, it is not available on Amazon Prime or Netflix. The show is a must-watch though for any fan of crime and action/drama TV.
Did you enjoy reading these The Sopranos quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
December 16, 2021 7:00 AM EST