Pride and Prejudice fans will love these Mr. Darcy quotes.
Mr. Darcy is one of the main characters in the 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice, written by Jane Austen.
Tell us your favorite Mr. Darcy quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Mr. Darcy quotes?
The character’s name is actually Fitzwilliam Darcy Esquire, but everyone knows him as Mr. Darcy.
He is a wealthy man and owner of an estate in England known as Pemberley.
Mr. Darcy is romantically interested in Elizabeth; however, she rejects his marriage proposal.
Once rejected, Mr. Darcy improves himself after learning how others view him.
In the end, Mr. Darcy rights many of his wrongs and wins Elizabeth’s heart and acceptance.
Throughout the story, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth work through moving past their “pride” and “prejudice,” reflecting on the title.
We can learn lots of lessons from Mr. Darcy and Pride and Prejudice, including:
- it is ok to just be who you are even if you aren’t the best at everything
- your first impressions are not always right or representative of the whole picture
- failure is not permanent, and you try again
The novel and characters have been so popular throughout history that many people have made it into films and television series.
Enjoy getting to know the character more in these Mr. Darcy quotes.
Best Mr. Darcy quotes
These Mr. Darcy quotes will help you learn more about the character.
1. “I couldn’t avoid her.” — Mr. Darcy
2. “Yes, vanity is a weakness indeed.” — Mr. Darcy
3. “Men of sense do not want silly wives.” — Mr. Darcy
4. “My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever.” — Mr. Darcy
5. “It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed.” — Mr. Darcy
6. “I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.” — Mr. Darcy
7. “You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” — Mr. Darcy
8. “I have the highest respect for your nerves, they are my old friends.” — Mr. Darcy
9. “If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once.” — Mr. Darcy
10. “I was given good principles, but left to follow them in pride and conceit.” — Mr. Darcy
Mr. Darcy quotes that make you want to read the book again
Your favorite parts of the story will pull you back in with these quotes from Pride and Prejudice.
11. “Do you talk by rule, then, while you are dancing?” — Mr. Darcy
12. “You may ask questions which I shall not choose to answer.” — Mr. Darcy
13. “It is a compliment which I never pay to any place if I can avoid it.” — Mr. Darcy
14. “When you met us there the other day, we had just been forming a new acquaintance.” — Mr. Darcy
15. “I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.” — Mr. Darcy
16. “A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” — Mr. Darcy
17. “You showed me how insufficient were all my pretensions to please a woman worthy of being pleased.” — Mr. Darcy
18. “My affections and wishes are unchanged; but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever.” — Mr. Darcy
19. “I smiled, knowing that Elizabeth, even in the worst of her humor, was far better suited to my own disposition.” — Mr. Darcy
20. “When left alone with her, I ignored her and kept my eyes on my book, though I confess I turned over more pages than I read.” — Mr. Darcy
Are you a fan of these Mr. Darcy quotes?
Throughout history, Mr. Darcy has been one of the best romantic heroes in English fiction.
Throughout the story, you see two different sides to the character as he learns the importance of manners over wealth alone.
If you can’t get enough of Pride and Prejudice, share these Mr. Darcy quotes with your friends, and let us know your favorite scene from the book in the comments.
January 18, 2023 6:00 AM EST