Set your sights on the sky with our quotes about flying.
Flying is the ability to move through the air with wings.
Earth has a variety of beings who can achieve flight, including human beings.
Learn how planes actually work with our flying quotes.
You may also enjoy these related articles:
Airplanes use four forces to fly
The four forces are:
A flying aircraft relies on the four forces above.
The opposing forces balance one another.
Life equals gravity, and thrust equals drag.
The thrust is the force that moves a plane forward in the air; the propellor or engine creates thrust.
Drag is the air resistance that slows the forward movement of the plane.
Gravity is the force that pulls objects down to Earth.
Life is the upward force created by the movement of the air on top and below the wing.
We take flight for granted
They say you don’t really understand something unless you can explain it to your elderly grandmother or a three-year-old.
Flying is something millions of people do every day.
However, how do planes fly?
We live in a time when many components of our lives are taken for granted.
Most of us need help understanding where our electricity comes from, where our garbage goes, or how a plane can fly.
So, how do planes fly?
Airplanes have had their design refined over the years we have been flying.
However, certain aspects of flight remain the same.
Airplane wings are aerodynamic, meaning they are shaped to make air move faster over the top of the wing.
When air moves faster, the pressure of the air decreases.
The key to flight is ensuring the pressure on top of the wing is less than the pressure on the bottom.
The difference in pressure creates the force on the wing that lifts it into the air.
To learn more, check out our flying quotes below.
Short quotes about flying for letting go of what weighs you down
We begin with these short quotes about flying.
1. “I’m afraid of flying.” — Allison Janney
2. “I think getting drunk is the key to flying comfortably.” — Amanda Peet
3. “Resolutions are flying like snowflakes around here.” — Arlen Specter
4. “The good thing about flying solo is it’s never boring.” — Steve Fossett
5. “I don’t have a fear of flying; I have a fear of crashing.” — Billy Bob Thornton
6. “Flying is hypnotic, and all pilots are willing victims to the spell.” — Ernest K Gann
7. “Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.” — Douglas Adams
8. “You wanna fly, you got to give up the stuff that weighs you down.” — Toni Morrison
9. “I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.” — Antoine De Saint-Exupéry
10. “The English have an extraordinary ability for flying into a great calm.” — Alexander Woollcott
The best quotes about flying for spreading your wings
Birds provide us with all the motivation we need to fly.
11. “My soul is in the sky.” — William Shakespeare
12. “Flying was a very tangible freedom.” — Anne Morrow Lindbergh
13. “On wings of wind came flying all abroad.” — Alexander Pope
14. “For humans, flying isn’t magic; it’s physics.” — Alan Alda
15. “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.” — Alejandro Jodorowsky
16. “Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?” — Frida Kahlo
17. “I quit flying years ago. I don’t want to die with tourists.” — Billy Bob Thornton
18. “Flying might not be all smooth sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.” — Amelia Earhart
19. “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror.” — Pappy Boyington
20. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” — J. M. Barrie
The top flying quotes for seeing the world
Planes allowed humanity to see the world in an instant.
21. “Man is flying too fast for a world that is round.” — James Thurber
22. “Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.” — Langston Hughes
23. “If God had really intended men to fly, he’d have made it easier to get to the airport.” — George Winters
24. “I always believed the lure of flying is the lure of beauty, but I was sure of it that night.” — Amelia Earhart
25. “The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I’d rather fly.” — Len Morgan
26. “Once you have learned to fly your plane, it is far less fatiguing to fly than it is to drive a car.” — William T. Piper
27. “There is no conclusive proof of Unidentified Flying Objects flying over India-China border.” — A. K. Antony
28. “There is an art, or rather a knack, to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.” — Douglas Adams
29. “Learning to fly an airplane taught me a way of thinking, an approach to problem-solving that was applicable and effective.” — Chris Carter
30. “He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
Famous quotes about flying from world-class pilots
These quotes come from some of the best pilots and flight enthusiasts out there.
31. “Sometimes, flying feels too God-like to be attained by man.” — Charles A. Lindbergh
32. “There’s a lot of us out here that are birds, man. We all need to just fly.” — Travis Scott
33. “Every flyer who ventures across oceans to distant lands is a potential explorer.” — Jean Batten
34. “It is only when you are flying above it that you realize how incredible the earth really is.” — Philippe Perrin
35. “We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.” — Luciano De Crescenzo
36. “Same with anyone who’s been flying for years and loves it still, we’re part of a world we deeply love.” — Richard Bach
37. “What we want is clothing we think we can fly in. That’s why I opened the show with flying dresses.” — Alber Elbaz
38. “Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset?” — Jack Handey
39. “I intend to leave this life so shattered there’s gonna have to be a thousand separate heavens for all of my flying parts.” — Andrea Gibson
40. “Every time I fly and am forced to remove my shoes. I’m grateful Richard Reid is not known as the Underwear Bomber.” — Douglas Manuel
Quotes and sayings about flying to live by
We close our list with these flying quotes about life.
41. “Whenever I dream about flying, it’s the best feeling in the world.” — Kate M
42. “The desire to fly is an idea handed down to us by our ancestors.” — Wilbur Wright
43. “The more bullets flying, the less accurate each individual slug has to be.” — Andrew Vachss
44. “I work best when there is adversity: I seem to get calmer the more the fur is flying.” — Andrea Arnold
45. “I hate flying. Know why? Because no one really understands how planes actually work.” — Adam Levine
46. “I have to say that flying on Air Force One sort of spoils you for coach on a regular airline.” — Ronald Reagan
47. “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” — Alton Brown
48. “Fear paralyzes you: fear of flying, fear of the future, fear of leaving a rubbish marriage, fear of public speaking, or whatever it is.” — Annie Lennox
49. “When the machines are being thrashed to capacity, and the pilots are flying at their limits to dazzle, things are bound to go wrong sometimes.” — Alex James
50. “It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin.” — K.O. Eckland
What does the future of flying look like?
There are people who use jet packs to fly around right now.
As we speak, the prototype for the first flying car has been approved.
What do you think the future of flying will look like?
Be sure to let us know in the comments below.