The Book Thief is a fictional book written for young adults that is told from the perspective of Death during the Holocaust.
The Book Thief quotes below take the essence of a book about death and allow us to understand life.
The story follows a young Liesel as she grows up in WWII Germany.
Liesel is a lover of words, and steals books in order to read them.
Throughout the story, Liesel’s family is protecting a Jew named Max, and Liesel finds comfort and compassion in words during this hard time.
What can we learn about life from a story told by Death?
In any story about the Holocaust, it is important to focus on the human beings.
As this is a story told by Death, the main lesson we must take away is the humanity of the people who were killed.
Liesel is so young and able to see Max’s humanity, something we must understand as readers of this story.
These Book Thief quotes will show us how to do exactly that.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
The Book Thief Quotes About Love
1. “The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.” – The Book Thief
2. “He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It’s his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.” – The Book Thief
3. “If only she could be so oblivious again, to feel such love without knowing it, mistaking it for laughter.” – The Book Thief
4. “I have to say that although it broke my heart, I was, and still am, glad I was there.” – The Book Thief
5. “Somewhere, far down, there was an itch in his heart, but he made it a point not to scratch it. He was afraid of what might come leaking out.” – The Book Thief
6. “Together, they would watch everything that was so carefully planned collapse, and they would smile at the beauty of destruction.” – The Book Thief
7. “Goodbye, Papa, you saved me. You taught me to read. No one can play like you. I’ll never drink champagne. No one can play like you.” – The Book Thief
8. “Can a person steal happiness? Or is it just another internal, infernal human trick?” – The Book Thief
9. “Sometimes I think my papa is an accordion. When he looks at me and smiles and breathes, I hear the notes.” – The Book Thief
You might also like these holocaust quotes for remembering.
The Book Thief Quotes About the Power of Words
10. “I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” – The Book Thief
11. “She was the book thief without the words.” – The Book Thief
12. “The words. Why did they have to exist? Without them, there wouldn’t be any of this.” – The Book Thief
13. “As always, one of her books was next to her.” – The Book Thief
14. “The words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like rain.” – The Book Thief
15. “She was saying goodbye and she didn’t even know it.” – The Book Thief
16. “One was a book thief, the other stole the sky.” – The Book Thief
17. “You can’t eat books, sweetheart.” – The Book Thief
18. “When she came to write her story, she would wonder when the books and the words started to mean not just something, but everything.” – The Book Thief
19. “You cannot be afraid. Read the book. Smile at it. It’s a great book—the greatest book you’ve ever read.” – The Book Thief
20. “It’s a small story really, about, among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.” – The Book Thief
The Book Thief Quotes About Life
21. “Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.” – The Book Thief
22. “I am haunted by humans.” – The Book Thief
23. “One opportunity leads directly to another, just as risk leads to more risk, life to more life, and death to more death.” – The Book Thief
24. “You’re a human, you should understand self-obsession.” – The Book Thief
25. “A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.” – The Book Thief
Don’t forget to also read these Gone With the Wind quotes and sayings sure to have you swooning.
What did you learn from these Book Thief quotes?
The Book Thief is a unique story of life and death about a young German girl named Liesel during the times of Nazi Germany.
The Book Thief quotes highlight true compassion and humanity as expressed through Liesel’s character and Death’s narratorial character throughout the book.
As this is a story told by Death, it allows us to have some interesting takeaways about life.
How can a story that centers around so much destruction teach us so much about humanity?
The truth is, an appreciation for life can only come from experiencing death.
In a story like The Book Thief, it is important to take a look at the humanity of the people involved in the true event, and understand the tragedy the story tells.
These Book Thief quotes do that, allowing us to appreciate life through death, and humanity through witnessing inhumane acts.
What’s your biggest takeaway from this collection of The Book Thief quotes and lines?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.