These Gone With the Wind quotes will inspire you to grab a copy of the book, or at least watch the movie!
If you have ever asked yourself (or anyone else) if Gone With The Wind “is any good”, I am not sure if we can be friends. This story has it all: drama, war, love triangles, grief, and life lessons. The filming of the movie itself had all of those same elements, except for war.
If you are wondering what Gone With the Wind’s most famous quote is, keep reading! It is right at number one of these famous, bitter, romantic, and profound quotes! It is an exceptionally well-written piece, and if you haven’t read it, I hope this snippet will inspire you to grab a copy, or at least watch the movie!
Don’t forget to also read these free spirit quotes for those with a wild heart.
Most famous Gone With the Wind quotes
1. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” ― Rhett Butler
2. “I’m very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening’s over.”― Rhett Butler
3. “You’d rather live with that silly little fool who can’t open her mouth except to say “yes” or “no” and raise a passel of mealy-mouthed brats just like her.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
4. “Tara! Home. I’ll go home. And I’ll think of some way to get him back.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
5. “As God is my witness they’re are not going to lick me. I’m going to live through this and when its all over, I’ll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat, or kill, as God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
Gone With the Wind quotes from Rhett Butler
6. “I can’t go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.” ― Rhett Butler
7. “No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.” ― Rhett Butler
8. “Well, my dear, take heart. Some day, I will kiss you and you will like it. But not now, so I beg you not to be too impatient.” ― Rhett Butler
9. “An apt observation,” he answered airily, “And, you, Miss, are no lady.” ― Rhett Butler
10. “Dear Scarlett! You aren’t helpless. Anyone as selfish and determined as you are is never helpless. God help the Yankees if they should get you.” ― Rhett Butler
11. “You’re so brutal to those who love you, Scarlett. You take their love and hold it over their heads like a whip.” ― Rhett Butler
12. “Never pass up new experiences Scarlett, they enrich the mind.” ― Rhett Butler
13. “No, my dear, I’m not in love with you, no more than you are with me, and if I were, you would be the last person I’d ever tell. God help the man who ever really loves you. You’d break his heart, my darling, cruel, destructive little cat who is so careless and confident she doesn’t even trouble to sheathe her claws.” ― Rhett Butler
14. “I’ve loved you more than I’ve ever loved any woman and I’ve waited for you longer than I’ve waited for any woman.” ― Rhett Butler
15. “A cat’s a better mother than you.” ― Rhett Butler
16. “I love you. Because we’re alike. Bad lots both of us.” ― Rhett Butler
17. “You’re like the thief who isn’t the least bit sorry he stole but is terribly terribly sorry he’s going to jail.” ― Rhett Butler
18. “You’re throwing away happiness with both hands and reaching out for something that will never make you happy.” ― Rhett Butler
19. “I wonder if anyone but me realizes what goes on in that head back of your deceptively sweet face.” ― Rhett Butler
20. “I want to make you faint. I will make you faint. You’ve had this coming to you for years. None of the fools you’ve known have kissed you like this – have they? Your precious Charles or Frank or your stupid Ashley… I said your stupid Ashley. Gentlemen all – what do they know about women? What do they know about you? I know you.” ― Rhett Butler
Also read these powerful Dante’s Inferno quotes highlighting central themes.
Gone With the Wind quotes from Scarlett O’Hara
21. “Great balls of fire. Don’t bother me anymore, and don’t call me sugar.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
22. “What a cool liar you are, Melly!” ― Scarlett O’Hara
23. “I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
24. “Sir,” she said, “you are no gentleman!” ― Scarlett O’Hara
25. “He looks as if…as if he knows what I look like without my shimmy.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
26. “I’d cut up my heart for you to wear if you wanted it.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
27. “Vanity was stronger than love at sixteen and there was no room in her hot heart now for anything but hate.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
28. “If I said I was madly in love with you you’d know I was lying.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
29. “If he’s forgotten me, I’ll make him remember me. I’ll make him want me again.”― Scarlett O’Hara
Gone With the Wind quotes on life lessons
30. “Burdens are for shoulders strong enough to carry them” ― Margaret Mitchell
31. “My darling your such a child, you think by saying “I’m Sorry” all the past can be corrected.” ― Rhett Butler
32. “You know what trouble I’s talkin’ ’bout. I’s talking ’bout Mr. Ashley Wilkes. He’ll be comin’ to Atlanta when he gets his leave, and you sittin’ there waitin’ for him, just like a spider. He belongs to Miss Melanie…” ― Mammy
33. “It will come to you, this love of the land. There’s no gettin’ away from it if you’re Irish.” ― Gerald O’Hara
34. “Death, taxes, and childbirth! There’s never any convenient time for any of them.” ― Margaret Mitchell
35. “Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.” ― Margaret Mitchell
36. “I loved something I made up, something that’s just as dead as Melly is. I made a pretty suit of clothes and fell in love with it. And when Ashley came riding along, so handsome, so different, I put that suit on him and made him wear it whether it fitted him or not. And I wouldn’t see what he really was. I kept on loving the pretty clothes—and not him at all.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
37. “Most of the miseries of the world were caused by wars. And when the wars were over no one ever knew what they were about.” ― Margaret Mitchell
Also read these memorable Dumb and Dumber quotes that will make your day.
Funny, or at least lighter Gone With the Wind Quotes
38. “Oh, Miss Scarlett, I don’t know nothing ’bout birthin’ babies! I don’t know how I could’ve told such a lie!” ― Prissy
39. “That’s Rhett Butler. He’s from Charleston. He has the most terrible reputation.” ― Cathleen Calvert
40. “This war talk is spoiling the fun at every party this spring.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
41. “That is the one unforgivable sin in any society. Be different and be damned!” ― Scarlett O’Hara
42. “Now you are beginning to think for yourself instead of letting others think for you. That’s the beginning of wisdom.” ― Margaret Mitchell
Profound Gone With the Wind Quotes
43. “Hardships make or break people.” ― Margaret Mitchell
44. “It was better to know the worst than to wonder.” ― Margaret Mitchell
45. “Until you’ve lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is.” ― Margaret Mitchell
46. “Scarlett, the mere fact that you’ve made a success of your mill is an insult to every man who hasn’t succeeded.” ― Rhett Butler
47. “And apologies, once postponed, become harder and harder to make, and finally impossible.” ― Margaret Mitchell
48. “Make up your mind to this. If you are different, you are isolated, not only from people of your own age but from those of your parents’ generation and from your children’s generation too. They’ll never understand you and they’ll be shocked no matter what you do. But your grandparents would probably be proud of you and say: ‘There’s a chip off the old block,’ and your grandchildren will sigh enviously and say: ‘What an old rip Grandma must have been!’ and they’ll try to be like you.” ― Margaret Mitchell
49. “Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin’ for, worth fightin’ for, worth dyin’ for, because it’s the only thing that lasts.” ― Pa
50. “She was darkness and he was darkness and there had never been anything before this time, only darkness and his lips upon her. She tried to speak and his mouth was over hers again. Suddenly she had a wild thrill such as she had never known; joy, fear, madness, excitement, surrender to arms that were too strong, lips too bruising, fate that moved too fast.” ― Margaret Mitchell
Which of these Gone With The Wind quotes is your favorite?
This is my second favorite book in the world and my favorite classic movie. How could it possibly be anything other than exquisite, between Vivien Leigh’s meme-worthy facial expressions, and Clark Gable’s tall, dark, and handsome look?
While researching this article I discovered things about the production of the film that are shocking! For starters, segregation was still practiced in the US and cast members, like Hattie McDaniel, were not allowed in the theaters for the premier. She was the first black woman to win an Oscar and she deserved it for sure! Lastly, Vivien Leigh was chosen for the role of Scarlett after producers reviewed 1400 auditions!
Which of these Gone With The Wind quotes and lines is your favorite? Have any other quote from the movie or the book to add? Leave it below in the comment section!
March 23, 2020 7:20 AM EST