These Gone With the Wind quotes will inspire you to grab a copy of the book, or at least watch the movie!
If you have ever asked yourself (or anyone else) if Gone With The Wind “is any good”, I am not sure if we can be friends.
This story has it all: drama, war, love triangles, grief, and life lessons.
The filming of the movie itself had all of those same elements, except for war.
If you are wondering what Gone With the Wind’s most famous quote is, keep reading!
It is right at number one of these famous, bitter, romantic, and profound quotes!
It is an exceptionally well-written piece, and if you haven’t read it, I hope this snippet will inspire you to grab a copy, or at least watch the movie!
Don’t forget to also read these free spirit quotes for those with a wild heart.
Most famous Gone With the Wind quotes
1. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” ― Rhett Butler
2. “I’m very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening’s over.”― Rhett Butler
3. “You’d rather live with that silly little fool who can’t open her mouth except to say “yes” or “no” and raise a passel of mealy-mouthed brats just like her.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
4. “Tara! Home. I’ll go home. And I’ll think of some way to get him back.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
5. “As God is my witness they’re are not going to lick me. I’m going to live through this and when its all over, I’ll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat, or kill, as God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
Gone With the Wind quotes from Rhett Butler
6. “I can’t go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.” ― Rhett Butler
7. “No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.” ― Rhett Butler
8. “Well, my dear, take heart. Some day, I will kiss you and you will like it. But not now, so I beg you not to be too impatient.” ― Rhett Butler
9. “An apt observation,” he answered airily, “And, you, Miss, are no lady.” ― Rhett Butler
10. “Dear Scarlett! You aren’t helpless. Anyone as selfish and determined as you are is never helpless. God help the Yankees if they should get you.” ― Rhett Butler
11. “You’re so brutal to those who love you, Scarlett. You take their love and hold it over their heads like a whip.” ― Rhett Butler
12. “Never pass up new experiences Scarlett, they enrich the mind.” ― Rhett Butler
13. “No, my dear, I’m not in love with you, no more than you are with me, and if I were, you would be the last person I’d ever tell. God help the man who ever really loves you. You’d break his heart, my darling, cruel, destructive little cat who is so careless and confident she doesn’t even trouble to sheathe her claws.” ― Rhett Butler
14. “I’ve loved you more than I’ve ever loved any woman and I’ve waited for you longer than I’ve waited for any woman.” ― Rhett Butler
15. “A cat’s a better mother than you.” ― Rhett Butler
16. “I love you. Because we’re alike. Bad lots both of us.” ― Rhett Butler
17. “You’re like the thief who isn’t the least bit sorry he stole but is terribly terribly sorry he’s going to jail.” ― Rhett Butler
18. “You’re throwing away happiness with both hands and reaching out for something that will never make you happy.” ― Rhett Butler
19. “I wonder if anyone but me realizes what goes on in that head back of your deceptively sweet face.” ― Rhett Butler
20. “I want to make you faint. I will make you faint. You’ve had this coming to you for years. None of the fools you’ve known have kissed you like this – have they? Your precious Charles or Frank or your stupid Ashley… I said your stupid Ashley. Gentlemen all – what do they know about women? What do they know about you? I know you.” ― Rhett Butler
Also read these powerful Dante’s Inferno quotes highlighting central themes.
Gone With the Wind quotes from Scarlett O’Hara
21. “Great balls of fire. Don’t bother me anymore, and don’t call me sugar.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
22. “What a cool liar you are, Melly!” ― Scarlett O’Hara
23. “I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
24. “Sir,” she said, “you are no gentleman!” ― Scarlett O’Hara
25. “He looks as if…as if he knows what I look like without my shimmy.” ― Scarlett O’Hara
Also read these memorable Dumb and Dumber quotes that will make your day.
Which of these Gone With The Wind quotes is your favorite?
This is my second favorite book in the world and my favorite classic movie.
How could it possibly be anything other than exquisite, between Vivien Leigh’s meme-worthy facial expressions, and Clark Gable’s tall, dark, and handsome look?
While researching this article I discovered things about the production of the film that are shocking!
For starters, segregation was still practiced in the US and cast members, like Hattie McDaniel, were not allowed in the theaters for the premier.
She was the first black woman to win an Oscar and she deserved it for sure!
Lastly, Vivien Leigh was chosen for the role of Scarlett after producers reviewed 1400 auditions!
Which of these Gone With The Wind quotes and lines is your favorite?
Have any other quote from the movie or the book to add?
Leave it below in the comment section!
August 11, 2022 5:00 AM EST