Gangster movies are a classic part of American cinema. To relive some of the best, we have compiled memorable gangster quotes below.
What’s your favorite crime movie?
One of the most compelling parts of a gangster movie is seeing the lives behind criminals. We see the bonds they have with their backstories, relationships, families, and friends. Through this backstory, we are better able to understand why the characters commit to a life of crime.
This genre of film is jam-packed with quality movies. But on this list, we have some of our favorites such as Reservoir Dogs, The Godfather, and New Jack City.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy the list of movie quotes below!
Gangster quotes from Reservoir Dogs
1. “I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
2. “Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?” – Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen)
3. “I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I’ll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. As far as I’m concerned, they’re just doing their job.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
4. “If you shoot this man, you die next. Repeat. If you shoot this man, you die next.” – Mr. White (Harvey Keitel)
5. “You don’t need proof when you have instinct!” – Joe (Lawrence Tierney)
6. “If you f**king beat this prick long enough, he’ll tell you he started the goddamn Chicago fire, now that don’t necessarily make it f**king so!” – Nice Guy Eddie (Chris Penn)
7. “You’re acting like a first-year f**king thief! I’m acting like a professional!” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
8. “The choice between doing ten years and taking out some stupid motherf**ker, ain’t no choice at all. But I ain’t no madman.” – Mr. White (Harvey Keitel)
9. “All right ramblers, let’s get rambling!” – Joe (Lawrence Tierney)
10. “Somebody’s shoved a red-hot poker up our ass, and I want to know whose name is on the handle!” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
11. “You, buddy, are stuck in a situation you created. So, if you wanna throw bad looks somewhere, throw ’em at a mirror!” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
Gangster quotes from New Jack City
12. “Money talks and bullshit runs a marathon. So, see ya and I wouldn’t want to be ya.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
13. “You’re the one who’s guilty. I mean, c’mon, let’s kick the ballistics here: Ain’t no Uzi’s made in Harlem. Not one of us in here owns a poppy field. This thing is bigger than Nino Brown. This is big business. This is the American way.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
14. “I never liked you anyway, pretty motherf**ker!” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
15. “Drugs ain’t a black thing or a white thing. It’s a death thing. Death don’t give a shit about color.” – Nick Peretti (Judd Nelson)
16. “Cancel that bitch, I’ll buy another one.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
17. “You gotta rob to get rich in the Reagan era.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
18. “I knew I should’ve treated you like a hooker, you ain’t nothing but a high-priced ho!” – G-Money (Allen Payne)
19. “You know, a drug dealer is the worst kind of brother. He won’t sell it to his sister, he won’t sell it to his mother. But he’ll sell it to one of his boys in the street. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to kill Nino Brown. Are you with me?” – Scotty Appleton (Ice-T)
20. “They got that shit hooked up like Mission Impossible, man!” – Pookie (Chris Rock)
21. “I should have killed you myself, bitch!” – Scotty Appleton (Ice-T)
Gangster quotes from The Godfather
22. “Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.” – Peter Clemenza (Richard S. Castellano)
23. “I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So, I stole a bike and asked him for forgiveness.” – Michael Corleone (Al Pacino)
24. “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
25. “In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns.” – Calo (Franco Citti)
26. “Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract. That’s a true story.” – Michael Corleone (Al Pacino)
27. “Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. Until that day, accept this justice as a gift on my daughter’s wedding day.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
28. “I don’t like violence, Tom. I’m a businessman; blood is a big expense.” – Sollozzo (Al Lettieri)
29. “I have learned more from the streets than in any classroom.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
30. “There are many things my father taught me here in this room. He taught me: Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.” – Michael Corleone (Al Pacino)
31. “You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
32. “Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It’s more than the government. It is almost equal to the family.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
33. “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
34. “Revenge is a dish best served cold.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
35. “A friend should always underestimate your virtues and an enemy overestimate your faults.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
Gangster quotes from Menace II Society
36. “Now O-Dog was the craziest ni**a alive. America’s nightmare. Young, black, and didn’t give a f**k.” – Caine (Tyrin Turner)
37. “I want your motherf**kin’ Daytons and your motherf**kin’ stereo. And I’ll take a double burger with cheese.” – Caine (Tyrin Turner)
38. “It’s cold out here, my brother. You know us black folks not used to this cold air. We a tropical people, you understand? Let them Europeans deal with this madness.” – Sharif (Vonte Sweet)
39. “Being a black man in America isn’t easy. The hunt is on, and you’re the prey. All I’m saying is…survive!” – Mr. Butler (Charles S. Dutton)
40. “I seen lots of people killed before, but I ain’t never done it myself. I mean, I never had a reason to. But when they killed my cousin, I knew I was gonna kill them.” – Caine (Tyrin Turner)
41. “I’ll be larger than that ni**a Steven Seagal I’ll be a big-ass-movie-star.” – O-Dog (Larenz Tate)
42. “D-d-do I stutter, motherf**ker?” – Chauncy (Clifton Powell)
43. “Now what I want to talk to you two about is the trouble that you’ve been getting into. Boys, the Lord didn’t put you here to be shooting and killing each other. It’s right there in the Bible, Exodus 20:13: ‘”Thou shall not kill.’” – Thomas Lawson (Arnold Johnson)
44. “Went into the store just to get a beer. Came out an accessory to murder and armed robbery. It’s funny like that in the hood sometimes. You never knew what was gonna happen, or when. After that I knew it was gonna be a long summer.” – Caine (Tyrin Turner)
45. “You know you done f**ked up, don’t you? You know it, don’t you? You know you done f**ked up.” – Detective (Bill Duke)
46. “For all the bullshit they try to teach you in high school, I graduated with about half of it. But then, I didn’t go to school but half the time. The other half, I was out selling dope. Growing up out here, there was shit that couldn’t be learned in no classroom.” – Caine (Tyrin Turner)
47. “Hey, you know what ni**a? You acting like a little bitch right now. You acting real paranoid and shit. Now, these motherf**kers smoked your goddamn cousin in front of you ni**a! Blew his head off in front of your face and you ain’t gonna do shit?” – O-Dog (Larenz Tate)
48. “Come on now, get up from off your knees praying to that porcelain god, that white porcelain god.” – Sharif (Vonte Sweet)
49. “You need to be glad that you graduated from high school, and that you’re alive at eighteen, and you need to do something with yourself before you end up like he did.” – Ronnie (Jada Pinkett Smith)
50. “I guess in the end it all catches up with you. My grandpa asked me one time if I care whether I live or die. Yeah, I do. Now it’s too late.” – Caine (Tyrin Turner)
What does loyalty mean to you?
In gangster movies, loyalty is everything. Whether it’s breaking a deal, lying, or not following a plan, disloyalty is a crime that typically leads to a hefty punishment. Loyalty is a universal value that most people understand the importance of.
Through universal themes such as loyalty, gangster movies are able to humanize their characters and even encourage the audience to root for people they never would have supported in their daily life. If these movies didn’t show their characters outside of their life of crime, no one would watch.
Which of these gangster quotes and lines is your favorite? What movie should we feature next on Everyday Power? Let us know in the comments below!