Feed your inner warrior with our Vagabond quotes.
Vagabond is one of the most popular and critically acclaimed manga series from Takehiko Inoue.
Find out why fans cannot wait for more volumes of the series with our quotes.
You might also like these related articles:
What is Vagabond?
A vagabond is someone who travels the world, wandering from place to place without a set home.
Vagabond is a Japanese martial arts manga that portrays the account of legendary Japanese swordsman Musashi Miyamoto.
Check out these Vagabond facts below:
- Vagabond has sold over 82 million copies.
- The series won the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize in 2002.
- Vagabond was awarded the 24th Kodansha Manga Award.
Who was Miyamoto Musashi?
Miyamoto Musashi is one of Japanese history’s most well-known philosophers and swordsmen.
He lived from 1584 to 1645 and is regarded as an elite ronin and swordsman.
Musashi was known for his double sword style and undefeated record in battle, with 61 duels under his belt.
He is considered a Kensei, or saint swordsman.
He wrote two books, Book of Five Rings and The Path of Aloneness.
Why should I read Vagabond?
Manga is some of the most popular literature in the world.
Some would make the argument that we are oversaturated in manga.
There are five manga types: shonen, seinen, josei, shojo and kodomomuke.
Vagabond is a seinen manga.
Seinen manga is marketed toward young adults with these that focus on politics, history, action, science, fantasy, relationships, sports, or comedy.
Since there are, quite literally, millions of manga titles to choose from, finding a quality series can seem overwhelming.
If you enjoy beautiful art, moving stories, and historical fiction, you will undoubtedly fall in love with Vagabond.
Throughout the series, Inoue manages to weave gory battles with beautiful Japanese Buddhist philosophy.
What is Vagabond about?
The story is set in Japan in the year 1600.
Two young warriors are fleeing their enemies after a battle.
One sets off to become a vagabond.
He becomes a wanderer, challenging powerful fighters to get stronger.
The other makes his home with a woman he meets.
Vagabond tells the story of how the lives of these young men unfold.
To learn more, check out our Vagabond quotes below.
Short Vagabond quotes about the true meaning of sight
Let’s start with these awesome quotes from Takehiko Inoue about what it truly means to see.
1. “That is what it means to truly see.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
2. “Don’t be preoccupied with a single spot.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
3. “See everything in its entirety, effortlessly.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
4. “Preoccupied with a single leaf, you won’t see the tree.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
5. “Preoccupied with a single tree, you’ll miss the entire forest.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
The top Vagabod quotes about invincibility and why you have to keep going
Quitting is easy, especially in unideal conditions, but we have to keep going.
6. “Invincible is just a word” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
7. “Nothing goes perfectly for us.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
8. “Heaven doesn’t laugh. It just smiles and stares.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
9. “Being incomplete is what pushes us onward to the next something.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
10. “If we were even perfectly satisfied, what meaning would the rest of our lives hold, right?” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
The best Vagabond quotes about dying an honorable death
Here, Inoue reminds us of the catch-22 concerning the warrior’s code regarding death.
11. “You are being selfish.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
12. “So you want to die honorably?” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
13. “Each and every person you killed had his own life.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
14. “Whether that life was blessed or not, everyone is born into this world.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
15. “Others have no ambition at all, and you ended everything for them, Takezo.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
Famous Vagabond quotes about how anger and violence amount to weakness
Check out these deep quotes from Vagabond about the mark of weakness.
16. “You keep your nerves on edge.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
17. “You’re always ready to lash out.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
18. “It’s because you are afraid of people.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
19. “You distance yourself from everyone.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
20. “You are the weakest person in this village” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
Vagabond quotes and sayings about life, light and dark
Let’s close our list with these amazing Vagabond quotes about light and dark.
21. “Life has no value!’ — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
22. “Brightness shall come your way.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
23. “Live on and endure the shadows.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
24. “It has no value if you think only of yourself.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
25. “There is no light for those who do not know darkness.” — Takehiko Inoue, Vagabond
Vagabond is worth the read
If you are on the fence about starting a new manga, don’t worry!
Vagabond is certainly worth the read.
The story is full of beautiful philosophy and deep thoughts.
One of the most memorable lines from the series is, “There is no light for those who do not know darkness.”
What is your favorite quote from Vagabond?
Be sure to let us know in the comments below.